TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 491419242526272829

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

Whenever the Skywind TC gets completed, that will be the one to play on the Skyrim modding side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Don't even get me started on the broken initiative and armour systems.

Gods, I really hated DOS2.
    Which is a shame, because I loved the first one.
    Yeah, the truly awful combat system ruined DOS2 for me as well. It's a shame, because the combat in the first one was so great, and DOS2 does improve on the first game in a lot of other ways.
    But the combat ... argh no, make it stop.

That's really not a popular opinion, though. I remember having a lot of people arguing with my negative Steam review of the game at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    It's why I have massive concerns about Larian being at the helm of Baldur's Gate 3. I don't think they're capable of implementing a balanced and fun RPG combat system any more. And I think their wackiness may feel innapropriately out of place.
    I thought they were using D&D 5th edition rules for Baldur's Gate 3?

They are supposed to be, yes.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeah, that's the problem with modern scandinavians. Not enough into raping and pilaging these days.

Seriously, EvaUnit02, you have issues.
    Nice strawman. Just have some of the former viking spirit, not laying down and taking it from authoritarians.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 19th Sep 2020 at 18:27.

I finally finished 2 games on my PC this week that I had started a long time ago but never got around to finishing.

More a case of pure luck and perseverance, I managed to actually get to the final boss again in Spelunky and defeat him. Although I started playing this in bursts from 2015 onwards, after picking it up as a freebie on the PS Plus' monthly PS4 games, it soon became a family favourite with my kids and I eventually lost interest in playing it on the PC.

I also decided to persevere with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice after giving up on it several times from 2017 onwards. Overall, I'm glad I finished the game and felt its bittersweet ending. The story, atmosphere, and exploration of a person's struggle with significant mental health issues was an experience like no other game I have played. It's just a shame that the game is let down by repetitive puzzles, interminable walking-sim sections (particularly in the middle to late game) and a horrible combat system -- yes, I know I've probably been spoilt by DS but the combat was simply dodge, button mash, dodge, rinse repeat.

Alongside Unreal, been playing Eco-creatures - Save the Forest a lot on Nintendo DS. If you've played any of the Overlord games, that's the best analogy I'd make. Difference being that your the good guys (fighting to save the forest), and your avatar doesn't fight directly. You get your creatures to do that. Fun game. Lots of content and a good mix of rpg elements.

I recently played Geocells, a puzzle game along the lines of Hexcells or Tametsi, though well below their quality. I also finished A Short Hike, which is just as lovely as the others in this thread have claimed. I was tickled to help a fox up to the summit.

Then there's The Longing, a very odd game. Its selling point is taking 400 days to finish. The idea is that a dying god creates you, a creature made of coal, to wake him up after a year-long regenerative sleep. The god's domain is a vast underground kingdom which you can explore in the interim, although your only in-game goal is to make your home more comfortable. I recently discovered doing so makes time pass faster when you're at home. The main game mechanic is... waiting. You'll initiate actions which take hours to finish, but the action continues when you're not playing, so you're expected to simply come back to the game after a break. There are also areas of the caverns inaccessible until major changes happen naturally, like a collapsing ceiling filling a pit or a trickle of water filling a pool. The space I have to explore initially felt vast, but now feels very confining, although there are still mysteries that intrigue me. I don't know whether I'll go the distance. It has been an interesting experience, though.

Played Red Faction for the first time. Solid 3/5, 7/10, whatever. The Geomod stuff is overplayed, after the first mission I barely went out of my to blow something up unless it was required to progress. The shooting is solid fun though, very reminiscent of other shooters from that same post-Quake but pre-Xbox period. Quake 2/3, Half-Life, NOLF, FEAR, etc. I feel like there should be a subgenre for that period of shooters if there isn't. Anyway, it was fun shooting dudes and occasionally piloting a vehicle. The faction you fight towards the end is a bit over-armored and over-gunned but thankfully you get a railgun that can see/shoot through walls and lots of bad dudes dropping ammo for it which helps. Boss fights were hit or miss, the last one was actually relatively ok because you get a pretty massive area to fight in and can duck behind something to catch your breath. Oddly, no ammo or health pickups in that area (at least that I found). Writing was alright, nothing special, pretty hammy and not generally memorable. Anyway, not a bad game and worth the 5 hour playthrough.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah Geomod sounded so cool, but ended up being quite underwhelming in the final product.

I've also been playing an old PC game. Suddenly remembered that I played the demo of something called Outwars in the late 90's and liked it a lot, then I saw it was 5 bucks on GOG.

I haven't managed to get it running in fullHD, but I'm enjoying the gameplay, even if it is quite difficult. Its got a lot of similarities with Terra Nova of course(exosuits, jetpacks, teammates), but I'm glad to report it controls a lot better than that one, with a modern WASD+mouse controlscheme. Tho I'd say Terra Nova is still a better game as Outwars' difficulty leads to cheesy tactics often being the only way to progress.

And done with Eco Creatures. It had me hooked, but if your going to have a game like Overlord with you controlling minions and needing to defeat all enemies, but then you have enemy spawners that can't be destroyed and spit out endless enemies (with a short delay), then that is not fun. That's frustrating.

It does not help that there is next to no info on the game on the net. Tried gamefaqs - Nada, besides character FAQs and forum posts from 2008 - 2010 all from people who never got past the first 10 levels, and I'm already at level 15. Googled - Nada. So if there is a way to destroy the spawners then I dunno. Tried everything I could think of, but nope. And you can beat levels with them in them, but from what I can gather, your supposed to defeat all enemies in the level at a given moment. The game itself when it introduces them doesn't even give them a mention. So meh I dunno. Done with it. Which is a shame, as the game has a great unique angle, but I got to a point where due to endless spawns I'd have to be constantly teleporting back to the main base, and then losing when I didn't. Combine that, with that the computer can destroy all your buildings/trees and yet you can only attack certain stuff. That's just not fun. The Overlord games never did that. Both of those games are awesome.

This had some, but I can see why it's obscure.

At least Unreal - Operation Na Pali is really friggin awesome. Better than the official expansion or Unreal 2 even. The voice acting is laughably bad at points, but the level design, new enemies and story are all excellent. Some singleplayer mods age badly / not well, when played 10 years later. Like the "They Hunger" series when I replayed that was not as good as I remembered it. Still good. Just not phenomenal. Where as Operation Na Pali is still great from my perspective. Has some additions like the Unreal Tournament weapons (since the mod runs in UT, not Unreal standard) and you can control team mates. Good times there all round.

I haven't bought a game on its release day for many years, but today I made an exception with art of rally, only because it looked so damn fun!

And it is quite fun indeed! As you can see in the trailer, it's a rally racing game from a top down view. It has kind of an arcade feel, but it's still a proper rally game that isn't as easy as it looks. Easy to learn, but hard to master, as the old cliche goes. You'll be spinning around and hitting trees at first, but when you finally nail that perfect drift through a big curve, there's something extremely satisfying about it. I'm not entirely pleased with the driving physics; the gravity especially feels a bit off when my old Mini (or "the Meanie", as they can't use the official names in the game) can make insane jumps and it just kind of floats through the air, but the semi-realistic car handling at least feels good and most of all fun. There are lots of different cars and the few ones that I've tried so far have all felt a bit different, so that definitely makes things a bit more interesting.

Also, you might already have noticed that Art of Rally looks absolutely gorgeous. Seriously, just watch that trailer again. It's minimalistic and ridiculously colourful, but to me it nails the indie game look perfectly. There's a very nice photo mode and I'm totally going to snap some screenshots of some of the lovely views in the game. Normally the first thing that I'd do in a racing game would be to turn off the music, but the retro synthpop soundtrack somehow fits in very well too, and you can still hear the engine roaring underneath it. Or perhaps the other way around. The track design is top notch and it follows the simplistic trend, but some of the locations are still truly beautiful and they're all pretty fun to drive. Some random obstacles or small rocks on the side of the road might make things more exciting though.

I still have a desire to play more realistic and serious rally sims after Art of Rally, but I already know that I'll be playing this a lot when I want something a bit more relaxing and fun.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah, thanks for playing and posting your thoughts, Tomi.

I liked the dev's last game "Absolut Drift" and I've been following this on twitter for a long time. I'd pick it up myself if I wasn't playing 6 other games at the moment.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeah, that's the problem with modern scandinavians. Not enough into raping and pilaging these days.
    Have you at least been raking your forests?

I've been playing The Eyes of Ara on Switch. It's one of those point 'n click Puzzle Mansion games, a'la Myst and Riven. It was a good pick, since I got on this puzzle mansion kick, and I had to send in my joycons for repair since I finally got struck by the drift issue.

Also, I bought during the last GOG sale. I'll probably play it next.

Hades is finally out of early access, downloading now.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 491419242526272829