TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

Didnt watched the video, I thought you managed to go through one of avaiable endings, not the hidden one, sorry!

While I agree the worldbuilding and plot is very one layer, and exaggerate the awfullnes of every aspect of "the religion", I don't think the "good" ending being very bitter is a part of weak writing, or is unsatysfying. The guilt was ridden, the abominations are eradicated, and people can freely worship their new deity/saint and self-harm themselves in one way or another to praise the miracle. The penitent one won't know sweet peace, but this is their choice, and goal to achieve. The ending isnt good for the penitent one but for the people of cvstodia.

I am doubtful also about everyone and their grandma being very faithful hivemind sort of, but I would be much more critical that the actions of one person who slays abominations and saints themselves, in short time leads to create a world with more "positive" aspects of faith, and broaden the view about faith and ways of worshipping it.

I just finished The Red Strings Club, which is a short adventure game set in a future world where AI is becoming powerful and humans are able to install personality traits into cybernetic implants. You play mainly as a bartender gathering information for your revolutionary pals. Rather than point and click, which I tend not to enjoy, the game is based around conversations and trying to read the subtext in whatever you're being told. There's no fail state that I'm aware of -- the game is mainly about exploring the philosophical implications of technology -- and how you interact with clients affects the direction the conversations can go in, if not the ultimate outcome. There were lots of moments where my conversation decisions were challenged by the other characters, which kind of makes me want to go back and try different strategies, but I get the sense that the game will challenge whatever choices you make, which I appreciate. There are minigames, too: as a bartender you can mix drinks to influence clients' emotions; as a hacker you can adopt people's voices to trick them into giving you information; and as an android you can decide who gets what personality implants with this weird kind of pottery simulation crafting game. But the game was short enough that none of them got too tedious. So there you go. Recommended.

Finished Gato Roboto this morning. Cute game, fun, doesn't outstay its welcome - but the ending did surprise me, or at least it felt like there'd be alternative endings and I didn't get the preferred one. For all I know that's exactly what happened, though a quick Google search suggests that the ending I got is the one and only ending.

Will I go back to that Hitman mission now? Dunno. I think I'll try, just so that I can move past "Patient Zero". Who knows, perhaps I'll really get into it once the mission gets going.

Currently replaying Satelite Reign. I LOVE this game. This is one of my top favorites of the games I've backed.

The atmosphere, music, setting, combat. All excellent.

Thing What Kicks
    Do I remember correctly that you've not played the Hitman 2 missions yet as you wanted to play through the old stuff first in the new engine Thirith?
    If so, don't worry too much about skipping it if you don't feel like playing it. There's still a wealth of content to play, and all of it's considerably more friendly than the last mission of Patient Zero.

All of the Hitman 2 campaign missions are great, even the first one that's pretty simplistic. But my favourite's probably the DLC mission, Haven Island. There's so much going on there, and it rivals Sapienza as being one of the best levels in the franchise.

Edit: @icemann, I've been thinking of replaying that recently! I loved it to bits too, especially in co-op mode with Thirith, henke & Jeshibu.
    Last edited by Malf; 15th Jan 2020 at 05:36.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I don't replay games often but Satellite Reign was one I ended up playing through twice as well, once solo and once with the TTLG gang. Even though the missions were all basically identical and the story not much to write home about there was something about that game that made it very compelling.

@Malf
    You're right, I've not played the Hitman 2 missions yet. Well, I did play some of the first one (which is more of a tutorial, if I remember correctly), but none of the rest. I do want to try to get into the final "Patient Zero" mission, as I like the idea behind it, even if it doesn't fit my playing style, and there have been games that I bounced off of for ages until they finally clicked with me (e.g. Thief). I also find it very difficult not to finish any kind of series once I've watched/read/played 75% of it. But yeah, I won't try to force myself too much. If I can't get into the right mindset, I'll just go and knock out that nurse and then finish the mission for completeness' sake.

I also have very fond memories of Satellite Reign's coop, especially the heroic death of Ned the mech.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    ...there was something about that game that made it very compelling.
    I think it was how you'd start off with the best intentions and a solid plan, only for it to inevitably go shit-shaped. ESPECIALLY in co-op, where other players may have different ideas about what to do next

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Finished Gato Roboto this morning. Cute game, fun, doesn't outstay its welcome - but the ending did surprise me, or at least it felt like there'd be alternative endings and I didn't get the preferred one. For all I know that's exactly what happened, though a quick Google search suggests that the ending I got is the one and only ending.
    If you reload your last save file you get a small epilogue.

I'm getting close to the end of Blasphemous, but for the last two days I've been banging my cone-shaped head against Crisanta at the Rooftops. All the boss fights before this have been rather easy-peasy, the scary baby with the centipede was the hardest one so far and it took me about ten attempts. This Crisanta conehead, however, oh man... I must have tried to beat her at least fifty times by now. I even tried to look for some tips and watched a video where someone beat her easily without taking any damage, and some people claimed that it's the easiest boss fight in the game. Only then I found out that they've made her much harder to beat in a recent patch, so perhaps I don't suck that much after all. My last three attempts have all been pretty good, in the latest one I got agonisingly close but totally screwed up when I noticed that I was only one strike away from winning.

Prepare to die, Crisanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    If you reload your last save file you get a small epilogue.
    Yeah, I saw that one. It's cute, but on the whole I still came away feeling that the ending was a bit too rushed and Huh?

Currently playing LEGO DC Super Villains on Switch. I'm absolutely infatuated with this game, it's so much fun and I feel like the pacing is much better in this game than in LEGO Batman 2. In LB2 you solve puzzles most of the time while I feel like that's more toned down in this game. It's also really cool playing as the villains and fighting the superheroes such as Nightwing and Batgirl. I always prefer proper gaming accessories to get true gaming experience. More importantly i need a gaming chair to get myself fit for the gaming environment. I have Gaming chair of Kinsal and it is indeed perfect though there are other good names but i prefer this one due to my own experience. Get more info about the gaming chair from kinsal and its feature
    Last edited by TerryHiggins; 18th Jan 2020 at 06:18.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Alrighty, finished A Plague Tale: Innocence. The game starts off good and just gets better and better until about the half-way point, the arrival at the Château d'Ombrage. At this point you've acumulated more followers and it feels like you're a kid on an epic adventure with your friends. It feels like Dark Age Goonies. Like the cool, chill parts of The Last Of Us. After that the game kinda looses the magic and gets gradually worse as it goes on. You get a new skill towards the end (controlling rats) that's supposed to feel powerful and cool but is so clunky to wield it's just annoying. The AI of your enemies, companions and even the rats start showing their weakness. And there's plenty of frustrating sections you'll have to replay several times because the game blindsides you with some scripted event and it's impossible to react quickly enough due to the clunky controls. However, the storytelling/characters are pretty good and the finale is downright epic. So, eh, overall it's fine I guess. Might be worth picking up in a sale.

I'm starting to really like The Occupation. I just finished the first non-intro mission. You're supposed to have an interview with someone in their office, so you arrive one hour early to "prepare" -- which means snooping around and gathering information in various ways (crawling through vents, playing with electricity, bypassing locks etc...). You have exactly one hour (in real time) to find out as much as possible. How your interview goes depends on what you find. There's no fail-state, nor any manual saving, so you have to go with whatever happens.

Saving is done automatically after each finished mission/chapter. Not being able to save at will means you need to dedicate some time before starting (or restart if you get interrupted). I generally prefer no timeout, because I like to thoroughly explore, but it does add a bit of tension (or resource management, depending on how you see it) and makes replaying more interesting; next time I will be more daring, so I can find more information before the interview. I'm still learning the game (mechanics, NPC reactions, layouts, how much I can stretch the rules etc) and so far I'd say the game definitely focuses on player skill.

There is en ecology of different subsystems all working together, allowing the player to go about things in different ways, so, in that way, you have the freedom of choice and also have to suffer the consequences -- or reap the benefits -- of those choices (and with no fail-state or reloading you just have to commit or replay later if you want to go about things a different way (I think there will be a chapter select available once I have finished the game the first time)). There are restrictions too, though -- which make the game less of an immersive sim than it could have been: climbing and leaning is context dependent and both are even done with the same button (I haven't yet figured out when or where leaning is allowed (might not only be about being in the right spot, but also about the guards being nearby(?) and in a certain state(?))). Falling off edges is not allowed at all (except in predetermined spots), and jumping is never allowed. These restrictions aren't dealbreakers, but do take away a few points.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Decided to give this PS Now thingy a spin, with the 7-day trial. There's a lot of good stuff on there, only problem is I've played almost all of it already. I stream-played a bit of DOOM 2016 and post-apoc-arcade-racing-PS3-games Armageddon Riders and Motorsport:Apocalypse. Probably because I played it early in the day when the net was better Armageddon Riders played quite well over streaming, while the other two, which I played later, were a big too laggy to be enjoyable. Thankfully you can also play some of the newer titles locally, so I'm downloading Mordorgame 2: Shadow of War right now.

Just finished the final "Patient Zero" mission, thanks to the help Malf provided. I decided not to let the mission play out as is, because I think I wouldn't have enjoyed its break from how the series functions otherwise, even if in theory I love the idea.

Which means that I can now get back to my replay of Dishonored 2, where I think I might pay the new Duke a visit.

Thing What Kicks
    I picked up The Surge 2 for cheap this weekend, and realised I'd not got around to playing the first game, even though I've had it in my library for a while.

I'd been hesitant, as I burned out on the Souls formula after Dark Souls (even bouncing off of Bloodborne, where I got to the swamp before giving up, partly in frustration, partly because I felt the formula had nothing new to show me).

But it's different enough to be enjoyable!
    And unlike the Souls games, it isn't all grey.

So in all likelihood, I'll polish this off between bouts of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne.
    Which is in itself pretty damned good. Still loving the hammer in this, and the sense of mastering a weapon is fantastic in MHW.
    On paper, hammer is one of the simpler weapons to use, but to use it effectively, you have to pay attention to the terrain, probably more so than any other weapon in the game. Hammer's best when you're taking advantage of terrain that either lets you slide down it, finishing by barrelling through the air, or by running up the wall to spin off of it.
    Or taking advantage of every little ledge for that extra bit of height necessary for a jumping attack, which can subsequently chain in to a massive upswing.

I discovered last night that during a fight with Iceborne's main Elder Dragon, Velkhana, there's a certain part of the stage where doing a jumping attack and smashing my hammer in to the ground fires crystal shards splintering out and damaging the monster. I can now take this information and use it in other fights.

Sure, it's grindy. But I always feel I'm getting a bit better, and it's not just my equipment.

I might be late to the party, but I started PREY the other day and its fantastic! Really fun so far, can't wait to see where it goes...

Put all your combat points into the wrench, you can take out anything with it, even that big arse monster that keeps hunting you.

I am 17 hours into Final Fantasy 15 and it stopped making sense like five hours ago. Can someone please explain to me wtf is going on?

So Evil Empire invaded my homeland and then Evil Empire Dude shows up to... take me on a road trip. But then bails on me and almost gets me killed by a god. But then shows up last minute and announces he works for Evil Empire, but decides to rescue me. Except he also steals my car.

Then 5 days pass by for no reason and Mysterious Woman shows up and tells me to touch 3 thunder stones. I touch 3 thunder stones. I now go break into the Evil Empire base to get my car back, but Random Evil General shows up and almost kills me but Evil Empire Dude shows up too and decides to save me (again). He lets me take back my car he stole from me.

Now I am back to the hotel where Random Childhood Friend I went on semi-date with is crying because Random Old Man With 3 Dialogue Lines was killed. So we're going to Previously Unknown But Seemingly Important Location with the Random Childhood Friend because... reasons.

Also, puppers died in my dream.

Seriously, what the fuck is going on.
    Last edited by Yakoob; 21st Jan 2020 at 01:22.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Seriously, what the fuck is going on.
    Frankly, considering the game plays like a bunch of oddly-paced battles strung together by never-ending automatic car driving, I thought you'd have given up on it by now.

The big bad isn't actually part of the evil empire. You'll find out what he is in the end. Mysterious Woman also reveals who she is in the end. It all actually makes sense, even if it is massively confusing the way the game presents it. Part of the problem is you're expected to have seen the movie and the anime before playing the game, because essential story bits are strewn throughout, and they all happen before the game begins. Yes, the game expects you to know what's going on. And yes, this is very dumb. I liked the game because it's got a lot of heart going for it anyway - kinda hearkens back to old FFs being about friends on a journey, physically and emotionally, which works on a broadly thematic level even if it was a clusterfuck as a, y'know, game.

As for Love Interest Girl, she's probably the most thinly-written character in the game even with all the cross-media backstory. Not that that would have made the fragmented story easier to digest.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Just finished the final "Patient Zero" mission, thanks to the help Malf provided. I decided not to let the mission play out as is, because I think I wouldn't have enjoyed its break from how the series functions otherwise, even if in theory I love the idea.
    It's too bad the bonus missions for season 2 didn't get the same amount of effort put into them as s1's bonus missions and patient zero. Sure, the experiment in the PZ mission isn't the best, but at least they still bothered to come up with a new conceit and change the time of day, unlike the Atlantide missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Frankly, considering the game plays like a bunch of oddly-paced battles strung together by never-ending automatic car driving, I thought you'd have given up on it by now.
    I actually quite enjoyed the first 10hrs. The game does an excellent job of setting the "roadtrip with a few buds" mood and has been making me really pine to go out and travel. It's only around the time the "real story" kicks in and you realize how vapid all the side-quests actually are that the magic dwindles a bit.

I actually checked the old FF15 thread and see most of my greivences have been already noted. But I saw you (IIRC) revised your thoughts after beating it, so I am sticking to it for the time being. Hopefully the charm alone can keep me going.

But oh yea the writing is also fucking dreadful:

-----------
    Pronto: What are you doing?
    Noct: Just chillin'
    Pronto: Hmm. Cool.
    -------------
    Gladius: *pointing at root beer* This looks good.
    Noct: You should have it later.
    Gladius: Yeah.
    ------------
    Random Woman 1: "Wow I like this drink!"
    Random Woman 2: "Whatever makes you happy. I will have..."
    --------------
    Noct: It's getting hot...
    Gladius: Then lose the jacket.
    (this dialogue repeated every half hour)
    --------------
    Guy 1: "Wanna grab a bite?"
    Guy 2: "I don't know, gets pretty rowdy at this time, with all the women ending their shift."

Spoken at 1pm

Also, I am so over the combat. It feels like they took a decently thought out and almost-fun action combat system and stuck it into a clusterfuck of animations and too-many-enemies. Things are so hectic there's little you can do except spamming "attack" and "dodge" when the prompt tells you to.

Case in point: parrying by pressing X just as the enemy strikes. Would be a really cool feature, except a) you don't which of the fucking 10 enemies is actually attacking you so you don't know who to watch out for, and b) all the attack animations are so random / nonexistent that you have no idea when to actually press it.

Chakat sex pillow
    You're better off spamming everyone's special moves when you get the option, and dodging out to hang from a high ledge and choosing your attacks if available. There's very little strategy that I could discern from the combat. It's pretty great when you get to do a summon, because that at least ends things (most of the time) once the animation's done.

The random NPC dialogue is really poor, innit? The banter doesn't fare much better, and yeah, at the point you're at, you would have heard everything they have to say during a car ride and then some. Thankfully, there's fast-travel for the places you've been to.

edit: oh yeah, if you're up for spending time with the boys, you should do the 'tour' quests they each come up with at camp. Those span the gamut from 'unnecessary' to 'unnecessary, but kinda fun'.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 22nd Jan 2020 at 00:42.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast