TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 49141924293031323334

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

I'll add The Violent End of Dunan Malveine by Nicked to the list of recommended recent fan missions, I played that recently and it was great. (If maybe slightly too big.)

I've been playing Elex, which is... pretty much exactly what I'd expect. Gothic in the post-apocalyptic future. Decent game, though it's not as strong as the Gothics or the first Risen.
    It has some rather unusual levelling systems, as you can brew an unlimited number of potions which give you attribute points and learning points (the two things you get from levelling up), so long as you can afford to buy the (somewhat expensive) ingredients, so money remains important throughout the game, as you'll be woefully under-powered if you only go with level-ups.

This also has the somewhat odd side-effect that XP isn't all that important any more, and also a lot of monsters respawn - which is very unusual for a PB game, where the entire XP in the world is always carefully calculated.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Anyone got reccs for any other missions or campaigns from recent years I should try out?
    • Breaking The Stone
    • Broken Triad
    • The Seven Sisters
    • The Black Frog
    • CoSaS 2: Mission X
    • Deceptive Perceptions
    • Deceptive Perceptions 2
    • Tales From The Cleft: Vandal
    • Tales From the Cleft: Ladytaker
    • Exile
    • The Korrigans
    • Cryptic Realms
    • A Better Tomorrow
    • Kingsbridge
    • Lord Alan's Factory
    • Eclipsed
    • Rose Cottage
    • Morbid Curiosity
    • Better Off Dead
    • Greyfeather Gems 2: Rodamill

Probably a bunch more that I'm forgetting. Plenty of them aren't recent either.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks thanks! Started playing Feast of Pilgrims and I'm digging it. These kinda thieves highway missions are my jam.

Also, on a completely unrelated topic, here's an art of rally powerslidin' montage I made.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Plenty of them aren't recent either.
    I think FMs from over a decade ago probably don't count as "recent years", but since you're mentioning them, basically anything by Eshaktaar or Lady Rowena is well worth playing.

henke, that rally video is awesome. A couple more big jumps and maybe crashes would have brought it even closer to perfection, I think, but it's still pretty damn good. Thanks!

BANNED
    On to Uncharted 2 already.

Part 1 is quite short. This one is much better so far. Good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    The Long Dark is something that I've been meaning to play for a long time, but I wanted to wait until the winter season. I started the story mode, and while I dig the atmosphere and how authentic everything feels, I really dislike the UI and the inventory management. Exploring the wilderness is nice, but that's also one of the main flaws of the game in my opinion - TLD is supposed to be a survival game, but so far I've never really felt that I'm in any danger. The nearest cabin or cave is always close enough, there are always plenty of supplies lying around or animals to be hunted, and you can even run away from the wolves. I wonder if the actual survival mode is any better in that regard. The story progresses at a really slow pace, but it's interesting enough so I want to see how it ends.
    Yes, Winter is definitely the best time to play it. I bought TLD years ago before Storymode was released. It's one of those games that I've kept installed ever since, picking it up again from time to time, such as during winter, or whenever they release a new update, challenge or significant feature/tool.

I've enjoyed all of the episodes so far and am looking forward to seeing where they take the story in the next two episodes. Understandably, Hinterland are probably trying to cater to a wider audience than the hardcore crowd, which is why it is a softer experience than the higher levels of survival mode. That said, there are three difficulty options to choose from in storymode compared to survival. While they don't really map to each other exactly, you should get challenged in some parts of storymode at the highest difficulty, if you are finding it too easy at the moment.

If you're after a real challenge, try Stalker mode and choose "Random" as your starting point. Once you're done with that, have a try at interloper mode. It's quite thrilling to survive a few days at first and then eventually thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Thanks thanks! Started playing Feast of Pilgrims and I'm digging it. These kinda thieves highway missions are my jam.
    If you want to give The Dark Mod a whirl too, I recommend Crucible of Omens: Behind Closed Doors. You can download all the FMs from inside the game itself. The Painter's Wife is pretty good too.

Been playing some Heat Signature and I got a mission to rescue henke's character "Crater Singeng".

I finished the single player campaign in Strange Brigade. It was pretty fun, I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, to be honest! It's just a simple action game where you shoot everything that moves (and a lot of things that don't), and the story is just an excuse to blow up some more mummies and skeletons, but sometimes it's nice to play a game where you don't have to think too much. I think this might have been a lot fun in multiplayer, but I don't have much time for that these days.

I also bought Control at last as it was on a nice discount on Fanatical. And now that I'm not busy with any other game (I put The Long Dark on hold for now) I even started playing it already. I've loved every game by Remedy, so I want to give Control all my gaming attention for now. I've only just started really, but I've enjoyed it so far. I admire Remedy for having the balls for coming up with these strange stories and gameworlds, even though I have some trouble trying to keep up with everything that's going on, but that's like a Remedy trademark already. Some of the writing here reminds me of Douglas Adams in a way; I've already witnessed a couple of absurd events and plot twists, and I'm only about two hours in! The action hasn't been as good as I was hoping, at least not yet, but I'd imagine that it gets more interesting later. So far the enemies haven't been much fun, the basic gun isn't that great, and while throwing stuff at the bad guys can be cool, I want something more. But knowing Remedy, I'm still quite confident that there's indeed something more coming... I'll post some more impressions in the Control thread later!

Control runs surprisingly well on my computer, even with some relatively high settings, but I still can't manage to fix the drawing distance bug of some textures that make them look ugly, and a lot of the reflections look somehow grainy and odd. Maybe it's just my graphics card that isn't as good as it should be.

Recently I played Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna). The game is a platformer with puzzle elements based on Alaskan native folklore. The gameplay is allright, there aren’t many mechanics, but what’s there works most of the time. The only criticism I have is that the controls feel unresponsive at times. Platforming is often not precise enough - not being able to turn during jumping is a big offender, and aiming the bola with the mouse is tricky. In general I also would have preferred more puzzles and less instakill platforming. This aspect is much better in the DLC though, which is more about puzzles.

The real highlight of the game is the story and the lore. It is based on Inupiat folk tales, narrated by natives. The game also has short documentary videos that provide insight into their culture. This is nicely complemented with the beautiful visuals, both during the gameplay, and the cutscenes which are done in the style of Inupiat art. The amosphere of the whole game is just great and unique. So while gameplay wasn’t anything special, the visuals and story were quite memorable for me.

The year of the corona is coming to an end, so perhaps it's time to say goodbye to this thread and start a new one? Any volunteers? I think it'd be a nice yearly tradition.

Most of us probably spent more time at home this year and played more games (or maybe not). I've been lucky enough to be able to work somewhat normally during this whole damned pandemic, but since there's not much else to do, I've had a lot time for gaming. And I played some truly great games in 2020! Let's see... Mafia: Definitive Edition, Trine 4, art of rally, Quantum Break, Control, The Long Dark, Dirt Rally 2, Ori and the Blind Forest, Witcher 2, Wolfenstein Old Blood & New Order, This War of Mine, Gris, Lego Star Wars, Slime Rancher, Cat Quest, Bendy and the Ink Machine, another playthrough of Kingdom Come: Deliverance with all the DLC, and a few more... Not a bad list, eh?

I hope that 2021 will be good for you all, may it be full of good games as well!
    Last edited by Tomi; 31st Dec 2020 at 16:40.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 49141924293031323334