TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 51015202530313233343536 LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

I really enjoyed the modular nature of Jedi Academy, the way it was short little chapters or episodes. Plus it had really good online play.

The episodic nature of the missions was awesome as was the ability to choose your own skill upgrades. It's sad that the main story was so bad and that they removed first person lightsabers.

I found the first person light safer bits to be very cumbersome. No real strategy, just button mashing. Was glad to see it go.

Fake news. First person lightsaber fights were the best lightsaber fights. Everyone says so. Removing first person lightsaber was a joke! Pathetic design. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Fake news. First person lightsaber fights were the best lightsaber fights. Everyone says so. Removing first person lightsaber was a joke! Pathetic design. Sad.
    I bet you also like not being allowed to customize your lightsaber until the game is almost done.

Could you customize it in Outcast? I don't remember that being a thing until Academy.

Finished Signal From Tolva and then immediately went through the Polar Regions DLC. I'm not sure why, but I really enjoyed this game a lot. I'm thinking maybe that it has the elements of Far Cry or STALKER that I like (exploration, combat, unraveling wtf is going on) but not the shit I don't like (crafting, 80 hours of busywork...although those only apply to FC really). At it's core it's just a walking sim with some territory-control gameplay with robots, but something about it really grabbed me. Solid 4/5 for me.

Still have Borderlands GoTY and Skyrim whatever-the-remaster-is-called installed for sort-of-replays. Up next from my backlog is Raiden IV for some reason.

Interesting to hear a positive review. I just remember so many reviews railing against it (Signal From Tolva), I guess for too much walking in big stretches of not-much-to-see, and not enough gameplay or guidance. Although I sometimes like a kind of purified exploration experience (I'll play The Hunter just to walk around and not actually hunt sometimes), those reviews were kind of making me hold off on playing this.

Mirror's Edge is cool so far! But I only played for 2 hours, finished the first three missions. I can only play this game for short stretches, similar to when I play racing games. With a normal FPS I can just take my time, get my bearings, explore the area at my leisure, see if there are any secret areas, etc. But with ME I often have to keep on the move, don't have time to properly orientate myself. This is exciting but also exhausting so I can play it for like an hour at a time at most before I start slipping up and making too many mistakes. Near the end of the third chapter when Faith emerges from the silo, I had a hard time defeating those six or so cops. But as I understand it now I didn't have to defeat them (it's not like the door only opens after they're dead), I could've just jumped over the fence and through the door. But I couldn't see how to get over the fence with those cops on my tail so I defeated them all first so I could get a proper look at how to exit the area. Took me like 10-15 tries. Next time though I'll try to avoid fighting that many guys at once if I can avoid it.

I am thankful that while a single mistake can kill you, so far the game is not stingy with checkpoints.

That spot is a pain. I usually take out the cops because that way, if I die, it's my fault. You can just run by on the containers, but there's a chance they'll kill you, and not much you can do about it.

Sounds like you're already catching on. At its heart, the game is really an optimization puzzle. You first find the long, complicated thing you can do just to get out of the area and make a little progress, but as you're replaying levels, you start seeing little optimizations you can make to glide through it a little more easily, like how you can avoid guards and run as straight as you can for the exit, or cut out a complicated sequence with a quick few jumps in another direction.

If you get the optimization bug, the game is will let you get pretty deeply into it. It's not like typical speed run meta-gaming, where you're trying to break the game, since it's still the core gameplay (even when you're sometimes breaking the game). I think of it in terms of flow, which is why I keep replaying it so much. It's one of those games that get better with replays, since like you're seeing, the first few times around are really plodding and awkward.

But anyway, that optimization loop & flow thing is IMO what the sequel is missing most, and things like requiring you take out guards to open the doors is just one of the ways it misses that.

Didn't manage to finish Raiden IV, played enough to know I don't want to. Game looks great, animation is fluid etc. etc but it has that problem some shmups have where there's not enough distinction between "items that kill you" and "items that don't kill you". It's not as bad in that regards as an Edelweiss shooter or something, but it's not as clear as it needs to be. It's a shame because it seems like a solid shmup otherwise.

Still replaying the same games, and up next is Hyper Light Drifter which I fully expect to bounce right off of.

While I'm still playing SOMA (probably about 2/3 into the game), all the footage I've seen of Assassin's Creed Valhalla reminded me that I've had AC Odyssey installed for ages, so I finally got started on that one. I got burnt out on Origins, and I suspect the same will happen with Odyssey, but for now it's exactly the same kind of shallow but fun thing that has proven effective at taking my mind off the pandemic. Like so many of Ubisoft's big titles, there are some things that are done exceedingly well, while others seem (sometimes oddly, sometimes predictably) half-assed. The world is mostly gorgeous, but I'm finding it less interesting than Origins' Egypt, and while Kassandra is written nicely, performed excellently and looks wonderful, other characters are mediocre at best. The combat lacks a sense of solidity, feeling like they were going for something Soulsborne-like but barely getting there halfway. The quests are still as simplistic as ever, though at least they're not interrupted all the time by loading screens and unskippable animations (yes, I'm still in the process of finishing up Mass Effect Andromeda). Still, for now it's fun enough, and seeing how simple the game is to get into, it should be easy enough to take a break when I feel I've had enough for the moment.

Just FYI, there is a patch available for Andromeda which massively improves the loading times.

I’m playing on PS4 Pro, the game is on an external SSD and it’s fully patched. I don’t think the unskippable travel scenes are due to the game not having loaded the assets yet. Can the landing/takeoff/hyper jump scenes be skipped on a PC?
    Last edited by Thirith; 17th Nov 2020 at 05:06.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I’m. Playing on PS4 Pro, the game is on an external SSD and it’s fully patched. I don’t think the unskippable travel scenes are due to the game not having loaded the assets yet. Can the landing/takeoff/hyper jump scenes be skipped on a PC?
    Try playing it on PS5, you'll likely benefit from the SSD.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying: there are a bunch of cutscenes that are unskippable by design, it would seem. Not plot-relevant ones, but those that play every time you land on a planet, leave a planet and jump from one system to another. And many of the missions require you to go to more than one planet, sometimes for a single fight or even a single conversation. Which means you get to see those unskippable cutscenes a lot. A hell of a lot. And playing on PS5 with an SSD is unlikely to magic unskippable cutscenes into skippable ones.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Actually I just remembered, they did indeed patch the game to make laggy ass Galaxy Map transition cutscenes to be skippable. It was in one of the earliest patches.

A quick Google search suggests that's only true for travelling within a system - though it may also be handled differently on consoles and on PC.

I suspect that the unskippable cutscenes are basically loading screens, but I'm also pretty certain that when you've got the game installed on an SSD they go on for longer, perhaps considerably so, than the actual loading times. It wouldn't have been impossibly hard to allow the player to skip as soon as the assets have been loaded.

Then again, it wouldn't have been impossibly hard for the game to allow for easier travel from one planet to another, without having to do the whole takeoff-->galaxy map-->hyperjump-->in-system travel-->landing spiel.

LittleFlower
    I finished Draugen.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...raugen-review/
    A charming little game. Maybe not very good, but also not bad. I enjoyed it. Maybe more a story than a game. It took only a few hours to finish. (I'm a slow gamer, so it might have taken me 8 hours or so). Unreal engine, so it looked decent. Not sure if I'd recommend it to others, because it hasn't got guns nor zombies.

Played through the first 11 out of 17 total conversions of the Wolfendoom series, with most recent being the Astrostein series. Absolutely fantastic stuff. Alternate history etc combined with Nazi's. What's not to love . Negatives were switches not working as intended, which led to having no choice but to use noclip to get through barriers. Was that or never be able to get past the level. Was many of these. Not sure what happened there. Some were just setup bad. Like the level designer (Laz Rojas), expected the player to go to the barrier would come down, then go to the next area where the switch to lower it was. But if the player went to the switch area and activated it, then went to the barrier lowering area then they'd be stuck (as I was) due to the switching already being used, so the barrier would not raise.

From here, immediately after got "Halten Sie" to play through then Operation Rheingold. Fun times ahead .

Last night discovered via my Nintendo DS rom collection (of every Nintendo DS game released, that I've been slowly going through for the past year), that an absure JRPG on the playstation 1 called "Azure Dreams" (played through that last year I think), got a sequel called "Tao's Adventure - Curse of the Demon Seal" on the DS. From the name it wasn't apparent of the connection, but on starting it up, hearing the villagers talk about a monster tower in the center of town that no'one could get to the top of + raising monsters (from captured eggs). The connection was mega obvious. This game is a must play. Azure Dreams is one of the my favorite JRPGs on the PS1. So to get a sequel 8 years later? Sure, count me in.

Only bit weird is how interactions work. In most console RPG's, you simply walk up and click the X button or whatever to talk to someone. But nope, in this one it has to use the touch screen. So have to:

* Walk up to NPC and click interaction button
    * Click "Talk" on the touch screen
    Then you talk to them. Odd extra step to put in.
    Last edited by icemann; 17th Nov 2020 at 09:32.

Finished Mirror's Edge, which was pretty great indeed and a wholly unique experience. According to Steam it took me 9 hours. The final two levels had some taxing jumps, I've had to consult a walkthrough once for the penultimate chapter and once for the final chapter, because twice I could not figure out a jump. I am glad that I did not have to lower the difficulty to easy (which as I understand only affects combat difficulty), some tough combat sections took me multiple tries, but none were too frustrating and I even managed some big fights in one try. Got the final server room fight on the second try. The only time I was really frustrated with the game were those aforementioned two times I could not figure out those jumps and had to check a walkthrough. Oh yeah, and that scaffolding site in the penultimate chapter killed me a lot of times, those were pretty tough jumps. It also took me a while to figure out I couldn't win the fight with Celeste the normal way and had to disarm her instead.

I really liked the visual style, and those 2D drawn interludes were also stylish. The story itself was mostly just an excuse for the action, but it wasn't bad either and at least there wasn't any cringeworthy dialogue like in the previous game I played, Jedi Academy. I'm leaving the game installed to try some time trials later and maybe eventually hard mode. Next time I'll also try harder to find the runner's bags, only in the final level did I find all three.

Great game, glad I decided to play it!

There's a moment in the last level (of Mirror's Edge) where I think you first confront the support structure inside the building. It's not even a spoiler since it's one of the oldest tropes ever that buildings have these kinds of areas (ducts, elevator shafts, areas "between the walls", etc.) And then there's satchel nearby too that's part of it. And for some reason, the combination of the music, the visuals (I mean the arrangement of elements, the color scheme, the specular on the metals, etc), and the gameplay you're working out in your head--but probably the music above all--always makes me feel some kind of emotion swell every time I reach that place.

Like I said before, the game makes you love it more & more the more you play it, and that place is always a kind of significant milestone every time. It's probably only grown in significance since then. Or for me anyway.

I haven't played Mirror's Edge in a long time, but I do remember being disappointed that for the last level they seem to have decided "actually, let's just make this a normal FPS". Suddenly I was running around toting a machine gun rather than jumping everywhere.

I don't think I had to shoot anyone in my play through of Mirror's Edge? It's been about ten years since I finished it though, so don't count on that.

I tried replaying the game earlier this year, but as much as I liked it a decade ago, I couldn't get into it anymore. I think I quit at the construction yard mission or whatever. Reading all your posts here and all the praise makes me feel like I should give it another try, but I've got a bunch of good games to play that I've never finished, so I think I'll pass for now.

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 51015202530313233343536 LastLast