TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 611162126313233343536

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

The only obligatory shot in Mirror's Edge is the engine of the truck carrying Kate. There are some fights that are very difficult to run through, though.

Finished going through all of Laz Rojas's Wolfendoom total conversions for Doom 2. Absolutely fantastic stuff, though not without it's flaws (eg bosses being able to attack you the second your in frame, and some long distance battles which were a save scummers paradise, and nearly impossible boss battles in some of them).

Enter Wolfendoom - Blade of Agony. A new total conversion mod released only a few years ago with a much more modernized style. That this was even done in the Doom engine (GZDoom Ssurceport) is amazing. Trench warfare, use of turrets, proper lighting effects, rain, money / treasure found can be used at the item shop at your home base for items and permanent upgrades, actual NPC's with conversation trees, an objectives system (with primary and secondary objectives), and so much more. I HIGHLY recommend this one. Very cinematic in places, with actual cutscenes.

This is easily the best Doom mod that I've ever played. Very very long levels too. A glimpse into a future where if Wolfenstein 3D had been released in more modern times. Though by modern I'm more leaning in the retro-modern phase of FPS games that have been coming out lately (of games intentionally being made to look like old FPS games).

Playing Halo: CE Anniversary, bought it as a single game, later on I might buy the whole MCC but I wanted to try this first. Now this is a good remake. I'm not nostalgic for the original Xbox graphics, so I have no problem with the new graphics, in fact I enjoy the upgraded look and the game runs well on my system. It's as fun as I remember, I really like the refined and expertly balanced gameplay and the story isn't bad either. Later on I know there will be some levels with repetitive level design but at least those levels look prettier now. Next level is The Silent Cartographer, which is regarded as one of the all-time greatest FPS levels so I'm going to have fun with it for sure. Playing with mouse & keyboard by the way, I do have an Xbox 1 controller but I'm not that great at playing FPS games with a controller nor do I enjoy doing so very much.

But the Steam achievements are all messed up, after the first level I got the achievement for beating Silent Cartographer, after the second level I got the one for beating Assault on the Control room, after Truth & Reconciliation I got the one for Pillar of Autumn lol. I also turned off the challenge messages, I'm really not interested in anything related to multiplayer and what rank my profile has or any of that stuff.

We'll see in time how the more modern games like Reach, Halo 3 and 4 run on my system... For now this Halo CE purchase is easily worth the €10 I paid for it.

I keep playing Art of Rally. It's ... simple. It's rally, so there's not even any other cars, just the one car, a tangle of roads in the countryside, and ridiculous pedestrians that keep trying to cross the road in front of you to hilarious effect. You don't even have to do the races. You can just drive, with the rolling pastel colored hills and the music thumping.

It'd practically be a flash game except the car sim is pretty subtle. And it's not all that easy to keep everything in control. But oh man, when you lean into a corner and hit that hand break in just the right way and realistically drift around those corners, there's something really satisfying about it, and then there's another, and another, and if you line a couple of them up in a row... Feels good, man.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, you convinced me to finally pick Art of Rally up.

Also got Oxygen Not Included and Ion Fury.

I really liked Art of Rally at first, but I haven't felt like playing it lately. The driving is indeed pretty fun and that's the most important thing in a racing game of course, but there are a bunch of things that really feel too unpolished. Racing against the AI (= CPU generated stage times) is just not very exciting at all, and it feels outright broken. I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty, and it's not uncommon that I win a three-minute stage by 30 seconds or something, even when I'm not driving very well! A podium place is almost guaranteed even if I played the game with my eyes closed, because the slower drivers can be minutes slower.

The online races aren't much better, but one of the biggest reasons for that might be that I bought the game on GOG and there just aren't a lot of players in there unfortunately. I was hoping that the online mode would be "cross-platform". The main thing that puts me off is that there's no way to check the results of the daily/weekly events after the event has ended - the new event just starts and you'll never find out what your final position was!

Like I said, the actual driving is a lot of fun and it's definitely worth playing, but I'm starting to feel that Art of Rally would be a better game without any of the broken "career mode" stuff, at least until they'll put some more effort in that part of the game.

Here's something to get henke excited though:

I love the graphics.

Yeah, simple blob models made from cylinders and spheres, artistically colored, countryside dirt road driving, it actually starts in Finland (because rally itself did), glorified flash game, it's got henke written all over it, lol. It's true it's more or less broken as a racing game though. I don't want to over hype it. It's best mostly for the free roam.

Just did the tutorial and the first challenge in the current Epic freebie, Mudrunner. I've had it easy so far, but damn, reversing your truck with a trailer behind it can be so difficult. Just like in Spintires, I constantly feel nervous about getting my truck stuck in the mud. This is more scary than most so-called horror games.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Tomi!

Ok I have now played 3.2 hours of Art of Rally. I pretty much agree with what Tomi and dema are saying. It's fun, but also a bit on the easy side. I'm also playing on second hardest difficulty. Stability assist at 0%, ABS at 50%. Winning most races. I like the minimalism, and cutting out some features: there's no car-tuning before races, just the occasional repair-screen, tho I've barely had to do any repairs besides washing my car. The free roam mode where you get to drive around and look for collectibles is neat too. I've got the speedvan, but no log truck yet. Yes, I am excited about getting that log truck.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 611162126313233343536