TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

So I'm done with Blasphemous at last. After having a lot of trouble with Crisanta (who wasn't really that difficult in the end - I guess I just sucked after all), the end boss was a piece of cake after that. It's quite an interesting game that started off well, but ended up being not that special after all. I'm not really a fan of this sort of game design where the "normal" enemies are only there to slow down your progress between boss fights, rather than being an actual challenge. There's so much backtracking in this game, especially if you like to explore and collect stuff, so having to kill the same enemies over and over again (or trying to run past them, more like) becomes a bit of a chore at some point. The enemies that were sort of scary and cool in the beginning just become annoying. That's not how it should be. Of course this applies to a lot of games, not just Blasphemous.

The weird and creepy theme was the main thing that carried the game for a long time and really held my interest, but after the first few (admittedly quite memorable) wtf moments there wasn't much that would shock me anymore. I think the story got a bit too weird to my liking too. And the ending... meh. :/ I got the same bad ending as icemann, and I don't think I can be bothered to try to get the "good" ending.

Anyway, I'm being overly negative now - Blasphemous is still a pretty good game and I actually enjoyed the ride while it lasted, but I have no intention to go back to it anymore. I don't think there's much replay value there anyway, I found all the collectibles that I could be bothered to find, and getting the alternative ending isn't worth the trouble. Apart from a fairly unique theme, the game doesn't really stand out from other metroidvanias that I've played. The controls and movement is more fluid in Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig is more fun, Ori looks better and feels more magical (I gotta go back and finish that game one day), Dust: An Elysian Trail delivers a more entertaining (and naive) story, combat is better in Guacamelee, etc... Blasphemous is just kind of average in every way, and you know, that isn't really such a bad thing.

However, I'm still in the mood for some platforming action, so I've decided that I'm going to play Sundered next!

Done with Styx: Master of Shadows.
    In general it is good stealth game, it lacks some gameplay mechanics but I had good time going through it. The story is okay-ish. I like the main theme and motivation of main characters, but I don't like how situations are written and lead one to another. Feels cheap.

The biggest isue I have are maps. Every map is used twice, leading to backtracking(every map you go through in different missions like from A-B and then B-A). I felt really annoyed by that. Also the maps feels bit empty and copy pasted with assets and how everything is placed.

Now I'm playing Styx: Shards of Darkness
    I am at third level, I can only say everything is polished, the animations are less awkward, the maps are much more interesting. More mechanics, more secondary objectives, that encourages to explore the level, the AI is much better. I have a feeling the maps won't be copy pasted.

So far I don't like how the main character is too over-cool. Throwing pop-culture, or more likely other video games references, and talks about how amazing he is. I feel like I am playing a game in a world of Shrek, and drinking game made out of it would lead me drunk right after finishing the tutorial. But hey, there is also Thief reference!

I just started Styx 1 yesterday. It feels like an odd pastiche of other stealth games. The reversed light gem tattoo is particularly odd... it glows more when you can't be seen? What?

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    The reversed light gem tattoo is particularly odd... it glows more when you can't be seen? What?
    The reversed light tattoo it is supposed to be seen and be helpful for player, not for ai, so don't worry. I guess besides working as lightgem, it also should help player to have an idea where character is in great darkness to not feel lost.

I recently bought Return of the Obra Dinn, really enjoyed Papers Please and have huge respect for solo game devs. So lots of hype!

Finished off Satelite Reign. Great stuff, even for a 3rd play through.

Then moved onto Ys 8 - Lacrimosa of Dana, which is a very fast action JRPG with some light town building stuff in it. Though you have no direct control over what gets built. Fun game.

Hoping there is no more crashes, thanks to the massive patch that dropped a few weeks ago.

Been playing a bunch of Morrowind lately. 2020 or 2002, same digits.

I tried to get back into Morrowind a week or two ago and ... I got maybe 3 hours or so in and it wasn't really sticking this time. Felt like quite a bit of dead space, I wasn't really believing the areas as real world space, and the story or world wasn't really pulling me in in that first town you travel to. It's in a weird hybrid space, like the style of a top-down or 2.5D RPG in a 3D world that's not yet the style of a 3D RPG. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind though. I seem to have better memories from 10 or 15 years ago.

I always liked Morrowind better as an idea than as an actual game. I'm hoping that the big total conversion project Skywind will be more to my liking.

Yesterday I played on in my replay of Dishonored 2. The Duke's Palace is such a great location: its scope, its aesthetic, what it says about Duke Abele and his cronies. It puts me in mind of Hitman (2016) and its missions, to such an extent that I wish I could play some of Dishonored's levels in Hitman and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    It's in a weird hybrid space, like the style of a top-down or 2.5D RPG in a 3D world that's not yet the style of a 3D RPG.
    While newer 3D RPGs look prettier, Morrowind still makes better use of the actual 3D environments than the vast majority simply by virtue of not restricting z-axis movement or having invisible walls.

Yeh and there are some pretty amazing mods like tamriel rebuilt which adds a whole lot extra areas, quests etc. Also there is a huge patch which adds massive graphical overhauls, QoL improvements and many bug fixes.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I tried to get back into Morrowind a week or two ago and ... I got maybe 3 hours or so in and it wasn't really sticking this time. Felt like quite a bit of dead space, I wasn't really believing the areas as real world space, and the story or world wasn't really pulling me in in that first town you travel to. It's in a weird hybrid space, like the style of a top-down or 2.5D RPG in a 3D world that's not yet the style of a 3D RPG. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind though. I seem to have better memories from 10 or 15 years ago.
    That's arguably more Daggerfall than Morrowind, that 2.5D feeling in a 3D space. There's more interesting spaces in Morrowind but it is a lot of real estate and trudging, true. That's emblematic of the entire game: everything takes an age or is inconvenient, and there's lots of matter presented as dryly and infodump-heavy as possible. It's not a very artfully designed game, weirdness factor notwithstanding.

I think I could've forgiven a lot of clunkiness, but Morrowind's conversations were by far the biggest hurdle for me to enjoy the game. They always felt like some badly-presented Wiki, not like conversations, not even the stylised, stripped-down conversations of video games.

It may be a mood thing. Planescape had info dumps but they still had a charm to them, or did to me at the time I was playing it. This last time with MW, it reminded me of what X4 is doing with its NPCs. There are these random NPCs standing in random places that dump a little wiki info, and you go around town to check them like boxes. So that was a blargh, but that said it has to do something right because it sucked me in back in the day. But I never got too far into the game and I want to finish it someday anyway. I will, just not right now.

Speaking of info-dump RPGs, I'm still chugging Disco Elysium. At this point I'm realizing it's mostly just a platform for interactive storytelling and interacting with the world and characters. I mean a very good one, but that's still it's main MO. It toys with some tropes of being an RPG, and the chance aspect built into the convo system is actually a clever way to have a gaming side to it, but that's not really what makes it special. Well, it makes it little special in an innovation way, but it's just this really engaging & weird world and the guy's frame of mind and the events and these characters, the whole mix of it all thrown together for you to explore at your own pace that make this special.

And speaking of "they don't feel like real conversations"... these feel like real conversations, but it's wild that you can keep replaying them and taking different conversation routes. It gives this provisional quality, like you can taste these different realities in the same world, and it's interesting how much I anyway want to be sure each conversation ends up the way I want it to, that there's an element of commitment the game itself doesn't force but the player can stick to, like the way a player commits to the rules playing a boardgame that itself doesn't care either way, but anyway it lets you have the world & the little wins and losses you make for yourself that you want.

Chakat sex pillow
    I think there's a clear difference between a PS:T/DE infodump and Morrowind's, though. PS:T paced out its text in digestible chunks; DE does the same with some additional thoughtfulness like having it take up the bottom right of the screen where it draws the attention naturally. It's also effervescently written in both cases, which is a quality that's, shall we say, not a priority in the MW experience. A lot of Morrowind's NPC text scans like the interminable asides of a character from The Odyssey about their place of birth and their parentage and their respectable relations and the prowess of their people and what tidings Zeus has in store for them when you're just waiting for Ulysses to get on with his journey and lay some suitor smackdown already. At least The Odyssey had metre in its original form.

Yeah, unsurprisingly I'm with Sulphur on this one. The difference between the conversations in Morrowind on the one hand and Planescape and Disco Elysium on the other is massive, regardless of how much text there is. A conversation isn't just about the transfer of information; arguably, much of the time the other aspects are as important. Who is a character, how do they relate to the world, others in general and my character in particular? Morrowind's conversations consisted mostly of text that was identical for the majority of characters, which means that dialogues told me little to nothing about the people I was talking to - which in turn meant that Morrowind pretty much had no characters to speak of, or at least none that I would call characters. The amount of text and the general 'infodumpiness' has more or less nothing to do with how these games feel to me and how much I enjoy their conversations.
    Last edited by Thirith; 27th Jan 2020 at 11:46.

Chakat sex pillow
    Exactly. I didn't want to use the word 'character' because I feel like I bang on about that too much, but it's that precise lack of it that made reading the text a tedious proposition. As interesting as the world was visually, it was peopled with less than people; ur-automatons, perhaps. Which is a shame considering Morrowind probably had the most interesting narrative of the ES games.

I'm not sure there are any characters in any Bethesda game. I certainly can't think of any offhand..

Boone. Best Bethesda character. Quite a bit of dialog with him. Though not to Planescape Torment levels.

First that springs to mind of a good one.

Chakat sex pillow
    Boone is Obsidian, not Beth.

I hear FO4's Nick Valentine is fairly all right. I guess having the dulcet tones of Garrett behind him must also help.

Chakat sex pillow
    Aside:

Kentucky Route Zero wraps up today. They should be consolidating the interludes, as well, within the bracket of the final release. I played KRZ a time so long ago my brain feels ice crystals prick at the memory (okay, okay, so it was six years ago - that's not even a human dog year), but at the time I knew it was something special, akin to a Zen koan that ended mid-sentence. And here we are, journey's end and resolution in sight, inasmuch as language and silence and the sharp edges of polygonal poetry can afford such a thing.

I can't wait.

Bahumbug. Well I dunno. No'one sticks out then. Plus I have a very low opinion of Bethesda ever since Fallout 4.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    I'm not sure there are any characters in any Bethesda game. I certainly can't think of any offhand..
    Sheogorath in the Shivering Isles DLC for Oblivion.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I picked up Soldier of Fortune 1 in the recent GOG sale. Holy shit, this game is helluva fun! Can't believe that I missed it back in the day. I've only played the first level so far, what a rush it was:- storming a NYC subway, blowing away dudes with a really good FPS shotgun. Watching the thugs frail around after glowing off one of their legs. Make sure that you grab the modern graphical options fan patch.

Since 3D Realms announced that they're remastering Kingpin: Life of Crime, I installed the GOG version, with the Rags 2 Riches mod and the modern graphical options fan patch. The game has aged extremely well, it's very good IMO. The only downside is the balancing. The enemies are ridiculous bullet sponges. This is very much Tom Clancy's The Division levels of suspension of disbelief where dudes in singlets and sweatshirts are soaking up insane amounts of damage. I'm playing on the 2nd to easiest difficulty, it seems to be the sweet spot for bullet sponginess, just try to score headshots or blow away dudes with the shotgun.

Gggmanlives' reviews sum up both games nicely.

Thing What Kicks
    Still plugging away at Iceborne and The Surge here.

Iceborne's great, and a breath of fresh air when compared to Western "Games as a Service" games. There's nowhere near as much pressure to keep playing it all the time, which means it's easy to pick up and play or drop out of as the fancy takes you. Western games like Destiny 2 want you to LIVE inside them, devoting every waking hour to them. Which can be fun for a while, but ends up feeling dirty and abusive.

The story is utterly, UTTERLY stupid though, and delivered by complete morons. Affable morons, but morons all the same.
    I'm not saying the voice acting's bad; far from it.
    But the lines these poor actors have inflicted on them are awful. Like, original Resident Evil levels of bad. So bad, it's frequently unknowingly hilarious.
    So a Capcom game then

As for The Surge, I really like it! But it's quite crashy, which is putting me off of playing it
    That's a shame, as it does a lot of interesting things with the Souls formula.
    I'll do some troubleshooting tonight to see if there are fixes, but with so many games to play these days, I may just get distracted by something shinier.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast