TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891015202530 ... LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I stumbled across this thing on Steam. Released Jan 17. Overwhelmingly Postivite reviews. Free. About an hour long.

It's like Hotline Miami meets Space Funeral meets Die By The Sword. Cool outsider-artstyle, amazing soundtrack, great writing, impeccable style, wonky-ass combat. It's surprising and funny and a real trip. Y'all should give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    However, I'm still in the mood for some platforming action, so I've decided that I'm going to play Sundered next!
    Aaand I'm done with it!

Well, it's not bad. I found the first of the three worlds kinda boring with all the droid-like enemies and metal corridors, especially when I couldn't do any fancy moves at the time, but I had a feeling that the game would get better, and turns out that I was absolutely right. The second world was much better and already had some eldritchy things in it. I really like the art style in Sundered, it reminds me of another metroidvania called Outland, but this does the stylish hand-drawn look even better. There's not much time to admire the views though, but the enemies and all the special effects especially look really nice.

I also like how smooth the movement and combat feels. I mean, it's really smooth. Sundered is a pure action game; you fight enemies or break stuff pretty much all the time, and that's about it. But that's okay, as the combat is really fun as soon as you learn some of the special actions. Each special move has a "normal" version and then a much cooler "corrupted" version - I chose the corrupted way of course, apparently that also makes the game easier. (Do you get any advantage if you destroy the shards?) So you fight these big hordes of all sorts of weird creatures armed with your fancy super moves and a mighty cannon, and I can tell you that it gets very hectic at times!

Surprisingly though, despite of the chaotic nature of the combat, most of the time I still had a feeling that I'm in control. I'm starting to think that I too got some eldritch-like powers while playing, as I surprised myself by dodging all those attacks and performing some superhuman moves with ease. Seriously though, I think it's all down to the smooth controls - there's something about it that feels just right. It isn't always that great, though. Sometimes the screen gets full of monsters and traps and when your character is about seven pixels tall (it zooms out for some boss fights for example) it's just impossible to see what's going on, so at that point the game turns into silly button mashing. That also works, most of the time.

I don't like the word "metroidvania", but I suppose Sundered could be described as such. The game is fairly non-linear, but you can't get past certain points before you've learned certain skills. Also, you won't be able to beat the harder enemies until you've level up your character enough. And that's probably the worst thing about Sundered - it gets so grindy after a while, having to visit the same (random-ish generated) places and to kill the same monsters over and over again, just so that you can get enough gems to level up.

Some sort of a proper story would have been nice too, but I could recommend Sundered to anyone who's looking for a fun pure action game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    (Do you get any advantage if you destroy the shards?)
    Beyond the "good" ending being locked behind destroying all the shards, you also get a special unlock tree with unique and very powerful perks each shard destroyed opens up a new unlocks. The last three of these being an extra perk slot, tripple jump and a massive boost to the cannon's damage.

But yea, the gameplay is very satisfying and the controls are tight.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Bioshock Collection is in the latest PS+, so I installed Bioshock and gave it a go. I only meant to check out that fantastic opening again, but a few hours later I'm blasting my way through Arcadia. I was ambivalent about this game back in 2007, but now I feel like, for the first time, I'm experiencing it for what it is rather than what it isn't. And it's a good game! The combat is fun, the levels are fun to explore, and all the lore and story stuff is intriguing.

Is it the remastered version that was released a couple of years ago? Never bothered to check it out as it came out only a couple of months after I had finished the original(s).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah. Been so long since I played the original I couldn't tell you how these new versions differ, aside from higher resolution obviously. Oh, and there's Director's Commentary tracks here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    I'm not sure there are any characters in any Bethesda game. I certainly can't think of any offhand..
    You want me to be your sponsor in House Hlaalu? I thought you'd never ask... But first, I want to see who I'm dealing with. Show Uncle Crassius what you have to offer. That's right, don't be shy.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The Bioshock Collection is in the latest PS+, so I installed Bioshock and gave it a go. I only meant to check out that fantastic opening again, but a few hours later I'm blasting my way through Arcadia. I was ambivalent about this game back in 2007, but now I feel like, for the first time, I'm experiencing it for what it is rather than what it isn't. And it's a good game! The combat is fun, the levels are fun to explore, and all the lore and story stuff is intriguing.
    Bioshock 2 tightened up the combat considerably, to the point where it actually got to be a little fun. BS1's combat still feels like it didn't get enough time in the oven and is safely the worst part of the game until you get to fight a metal Atlas in the end in some sort of similarly underbaked objectivist folly.

Yeah, it gets real bulletspongy real fast. Big Daddy fights are probably the best part of it. And as far as I'm concerned, Minerva's Den remains the peak of the series.

I've been playing A Plague Tale after a fellow TTLGer gifted it to me. It reminds me a lot of The Last of Us, very story driven, with gameplay broken down into chapters, and some light crafting and stealth. Enjoying it so far, but being only about 25% done, I'm hoping the style of gameplay gets changed up and/or expanded, as things are starting to get very samey. The story is solid, and is keeping me engaged. I saw someone earlier complain because it's not immersive simmish enough, which is a fairly stupid thing to say since that's definitely not the type of game it is.

Oh, and even on my 8 year old PC, the game is gorgeous and runs super smooth.

I too want to try out A Plague Tale some time, but right now I'm too busy with my metroidvanias and platformers... My current game in progress is Ori and the Blind Forest. Oh it's so pretty. Not quite Trine-level of pretty, but almost there, and really quite gorgeous at times. The music is beautiful, the atmosphere is a tiny bit melancholic but also kinda soothing, and there's something very relaxing about the whole game. It's not terribly difficult either - at least it hasn't been so far and I think I'm past the halfway point now - there's a bit of trial and error when you explore the world, and there are a couple of fairly challenging platforming bits, but that's about it. I like it and I'm definitely going to play this until the end.

I also wanted to try something a bit different after playing only action platformers for the last couple of weeks, so I'm now playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice too. It is indeed a bit different... but very interesting. I might even have to put Ori's adventures on hold until I see how this turns out.

I finished my replay of Dishonored 2 yesterday. Arkane is one of my favourite present-day studios, mainly because they tick my boxes so well - their environments are gorgeous, interesting and intelligently designed, and moving around them is generally a joy. I'm already looking forward to replaying Death of the Outsider and Prey, but first I'll want to get back to Hitman 2 and finally play its own missions (rather than replaying the Hitman missions in the sequel) and play some shorter games.

Mainly, though, I started replaying Kentucky Route Zero, since I want to revisit Acts I to IV (as well as the interludes) before playing the final one. I'm not going to rush it, though - it'll probably be one act at a time, with some other shorter games in between.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Bioshock 2 tightened up the combat considerably, to the point where it actually got to be a little fun. BS1's combat still feels like it didn't get enough time in the oven and is safely the worst part of the game until you get to fight a metal Atlas in the end in some sort of similarly underbaked objectivist folly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Yeah, it gets real bulletspongy real fast. Big Daddy fights are probably the best part of it. And as far as I'm concerned, Minerva's Den remains the peak of the series.
    I don’t know guys, I loved the combat in it. I think it helped that I played on Medium this time as well. IIRC I played on Hard the first time around, but playing on an easier setting gives you more chance to play around and get creative with the plasmids. The splicers do get too bulletspongey towards the end tho.

Anyway, BS1 finished. About to fire up this Minerva’s Den thingy everyone’s raving about.

Back when I got my RTX graphics card, I got Battlefield V with it. While I enjoyed the first couple of Battlefield games online, I never really got into any of the ones after Battlefield 3, but I've been interested in checking out the BF5 campaign as a showcase for raytracing, so this morning I returned to the War Stories. Not that I got anywhere, because the North Africa mini-campaign does a Far Cry lite thing - you're given a largeish map and a bunch of objectives to tackle in any sequence and with any strategy. I thought I'd go the stealthy route, but I'm not sure how viable this is: the Germans saw me way before I was anywhere near enough to take them out. I'll try again with different weapons, but I wonder whether their ideas for the campaign and the design of the missions don't quite work with the AI and overall balancing.

Replayed the first four acts and all the interludes of Kentucky Route Zero, then followed up immediately with Act V and the final bit (I hesitate to call it an interlude, seeing as there is nothing to follow it. Frankly speaking, I am disappointed. So much waiting - for this? It feels as if the creators were under so much pressure to provide an ending that in the end they felt they had to get something out, regardless of how many plot lines it would leave unresolved - or indeed how much sense the wrap-up of the ostensibly main plot line would make. And no, this being magical realism is not an excuse.

Then again, maybe I just do not "get" KRZ. Wouldn't be a surprise, seeing as I generally don't "get" modern art and that I stopped enjoying KRZ specifically roughly halfway through Act III.

Next up: Tower of Guns. Because I really need to relax my brain a bit after all the high-brow stuff I've been reading/watching/playing lately.

Judith
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I've been playing A Plague Tale after a fellow TTLGer gifted it to me. It reminds me a lot of The Last of Us, very story driven, with gameplay broken down into chapters, and some light crafting and stealth. Enjoying it so far, but being only about 25% done, I'm hoping the style of gameplay gets changed up and/or expanded, as things are starting to get very samey. The story is solid, and is keeping me engaged. I saw someone earlier complain because it's not immersive simmish enough, which is a fairly stupid thing to say since that's definitely not the type of game it is.

Oh, and even on my 8 year old PC, the game is gorgeous and runs super smooth.
    The only fairly stupid thing will be the look on your face when you realize nothing in this game will change for the better, you boob as the game doesn't try to be anything but a set of artificial rat/torch/guard/puzzle setups dressed with great graphics and dramatic storyline, where everything gets more and more ridiculous / trial-and-error grade.

Judith, I don't doubt your criticisms of A Plague Tale at all. If you see in my quoted post above, I was already having doubts the game would hold up.

My point was, you criticized it for not having an Immersive Sim type design, when that's completely not even close to the type of game it is, or is even trying to be. It just seemed like and odd, random statement.

I did end up finishing Ori and the Blind Forest before Senua's Sacrifice after all, and I must say that it was a very enjoyable experience. Around two years ago I actually had a chance to play Ori for half an hour or so, but it didn't really catch my interest back then, so I decided that I'd wait for a good discount before giving it another chance. Well, I got it for a fiver two weeks ago and it was definitely one of my better investments lately.

Ori is indeed a damn beautiful game in many ways; the visuals, the music, and the story - they're all superb. I've seen a lot of people call Ori frustratingly difficult, but even though there are some difficulty spikes, I actually enjoyed those challenges and never found the game too difficult at any point. It's nowhere near as frustrating as Hollow Knight for example when it comes to difficulty. The gameplay is incredibly smooth and enables you to do some really precise moves (those are often required too!), and in addition to the usual double jumps and wall runs there are some more unusual abilities too.

If I have to find something negative to say about the game, I think it lacks a bit in character - Ori plays it a bit too safe with the fairytale card, but then again the all-around prettiness makes up for it. Even though the forest is evidently in great danger, it never really feels like there's something bad happening. The enemies are mostly some slimy blobs that don't feel very hostile, and pretty much everything is nice and pretty. But that's part of the fairytale thing and it probably wouldn't work otherwise.

Ori and the Blind Forest is quite a rare exception these days, because I genuinely didn't want the game to end so soon. I found all the secrets and collectibles during my play through (around 10 hours), so apart from the higher difficulty levels there's not much reason to return to the game any time soon, which is a shame. But... I just found out that there's a sequel coming out in less than a month! \/ Right now Ori and the Will of the Wisps goes to the top of my hype list.

Judith
    Judith, I don't doubt your criticisms of A Plague Tale at all. If you see in my quoted post above, I was already having doubts the game would hold up.

My point was, you criticized it for not having an Immersive Sim type design, when that's completely not even close to the type of game it is, or is even trying to be. It just seemed like and odd, random statement.
    Ah, okay then. I should have elaborated a bit, I was on the phone while commuting. I thought that im-sim design approach was with stealth games almost from the beginning, and it's hard for me to think about a good stealth game that doesn't employ it at least in some minimal extent (correct me if I'm wrong).

In this case, that would be e.g. some more coherent rules on how rats are used (maybe on certain lighting conditions, not whenever designers see fit, or to easily ramp up the tension, because often that is super obvious to a player as well).

Or things like having at least some room in the levels where you can escape when being detected by a guard? What made me most disappointed with this otherwise gorgeous game is the general lack of room for player expression when things go wrong. You make a mistake with rats, you have one second to realize it, and bam, you're dead, auto-reload. A guard sees you, bam, one-hit kill. And it gets worse later. There are one-hit-kill archers, and a particularly frustrating cart section. There will be maps with no detection objective as well.

Yeah, I wish the puzzle setups were more im-simmy, as they feel more and more artificial as the game goes: at some point you get timed runs with rats not fearing the daylight but getting back to their holes when a lightning strikes. All that looks weird when made with beautiful photogrammery scans they got from Quixel. Maybe more simplified graphics would make this less jarring? Not sure. The only thing that felt really consistent to me was the player toolset, didn't even mind the crafting bit.
    Last edited by Judith; 14th Feb 2020 at 05:22.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ugh, yeah, that cart section was annoying. It was just a matter of trial and error, memorizing where the baddies are gonna come from so you can hit them with rocks the moment they pop up on the next go-around.

Re: A Plague Tale, agreed on all the points above. I've had to reload/restart far more than I like in this game, which usually means we've moved into trial and error territory, and that's not a fun way to play a game. In general, everything's very linear with little room for error if you don't play exactly the way they want you to.

I was still enjoying the game though, but then I got to the part where you play as the kid (Hugo) and it all kind of fell apart for me. I can only suspend belief so much, and that just kind of crossed the line. Then after that, when you head back to the castle with more rat puzzles with moving braziers and climbing ladders, and my interest level just kind of took a nosedive.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    My copy of this game that I'd used for play throughs from the 90s onwards was not exactly legit. Oddly going with a legit copy from Steam gave me worse results on the audio end. Lots of audio crackling. I tried changing things in the installer settings which helped a bit, but it's still there. Not sure if it's a Windows 10 thing. Need to check against my other version of it.
    Apparently, they got openXcom working with TFTD: https://openxcom.org/2015/08/terror-...the-nightlies/

Can't think of a good reason why anyone would play without it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I was still enjoying the game though, but then I got to the part where you play as the kid (Hugo) and it all kind of fell apart for me. I can only suspend belief so much, and that just kind of crossed the line. Then after that, when you head back to the castle with more rat puzzles with moving braziers and climbing ladders, and my interest level just kind of took a nosedive.
    You're pretty close to the end, so I'd say keep going! The story does go in some kinda interesting directions, and the finale is pretty spectacular.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished Minerva's Den. For the most part it felt pretty much like Bioshock 2, and I was wondering what all the fuss was about, but then I got to the finale. Ah! *chef's kiss* What an ending! Wonderfully paced and presented, and the way it makes earlier plot points slide into place and the whole story clicks together is so beautiful. Yeah, this might well be the most perfect of the Bioshock stories.

I see the Bioshock Collection also includes the Bioshock Infinite DLCs, which I've likewise never played. I though BSI was pretty meh, but is Burial at Sea still worth giving a go? Am I right in remembering that it's kinda stealth-focused?

Just finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Unique and interesting game, rather weird, too weird towards the end, stunningly beautiful, simple gameplay and simple puzzles that get a bit repetitive, oh and did I say weird already? Yeah, it's a good one, and anyone who's looking for something <s>a bit</s> totally different should try it out.

Next up is a game that I've really been looking forward to playing for a while: Trine 4! I've loved all the previous games in the series - yes, even the notorious third game - and I've been saving this gem for the right moment. And this is it, the perfect moment. Can't wait!

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891015202530 ... LastLast