TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891015202530 ... LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    Sheogorath in the Shivering Isles DLC for Oblivion.
    That was the only example I could think of after a hard think. And if I can only remember a single character after putting hundreds of hours into games which are heavily populated with characters, I think that's a problem. Especially when you compare with New Vegas, which is filled with memorable people.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Recent gaming roundup

Euro Truck Simulator 2 - On the road again! Drove through Poland, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, France, England and Scotland. Think I'm good for now.

Trackmania Turbo - I like it, except for a couple things. The campaign has you switching between 4 different car-types, but only 2 of them are really fun, the drifty Canyon-type and the F1-style Stadium-type, the other 2 are kinda fidgety and not much fun. Also, some of the UI stuff kinda sucks. You can instantly reset to the startline at any point during a race, unless you finish it in which case you gotta click through several screens just to get back to the startline. Anyway, it's Trackmania. It's fun.

Snakeybus - It's ok.

Frog Detective 1 - 48 min to play through the whole thing. Had a few laughs. A fun lil adventure.

Prey Mooncrash - Yeah this was good, but it's not grabbing me the way Prey did. Played it for 4 hours, not sure I wanna play it any more.

Jigsaw Puzzles HD on iPad - now this is the stuff. My GO-TO toilet-gaming as of late.

Beppo's Hole In One Golf - I am very good at Beppo's Hole In One Golf. I even got Par on Super Expert Pro once. Here's a video:

I don't watch (or particularly like) anime, so when I first heard of Code Vein, I thought I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. But later I watched streams, and tried the demo (there's one now on Steam), and it convinced me to give it a try. This turned out to be a good idea.

The gameplay is pretty much standard souls-like, but the rpg system is slightly different. Your stats are leveled equally and you alter them and customize your build entirely with various items. So you can change builds on the fly. Important part of the combat are 'gifts', which are basically spells, buffs, and special moves for weapons. There are a lot, and all playstyles can make use of these. There are some pretty interesting ones, like the buff that significantly increases your combat numbers, but when its time runs out, you die. These cost ichor, which is the third character resource (after hp and stamina). You can restore ichor by hitting enemies, as opposed to healing, which you can only get at 'bonfires', as per classic Dark Souls tradition. I don't know, I prefer soulslike games where we are somewhat independent of bonfires (like Dark Souls 2 with lifegems, and Surge 2's energy system).

As for difficulty, the game is friendlier than DS, since you get an AI teammate who can distract enemies and even revive you. This doesn't make it too easy, in fact, the game seems to be balanced around this, but it's nice to able to start at a lower difficulty, as opposed to having no options. You can of course leave the AI partner, if you desire more challenge.

The visuals of the game are a mixed bag. The weapons, enemies and characters can only be described as "over the top". This took some time for me to get used to, but at some point I just accepted that things here can be just silly. The environments however are kinda bland apart from a few cool areas. The level design is nice though, based around shortcuts, and having decent exploration. I also have to mention the character creator, which is amazing. So many options. I can safely say that it was one of the main reasons I started playing this game.

As far as the story goes, I didn't know what to expect, but I liked it. Based on the silly aspects of the presentation I though it's going to be like that, but then it threw character drama and hard hitting moments at me. I wasn't ready for that! But it was a pleasant surprise. It was interesting to discover and kept me interested till the end. Also shout out to the great soundtrack.

I was afraid to dive into this, but ended up loving it. I'd recommend this to anyone who isn't burned out on the Souls gameplay loop. I thought about creating a topic for this in the Soulslike section, but not only noone have played this game here, but it hasn't even been mentioned ever...

Yeah, I've been playing it too. It's a solid soulslike so far. I thought writing about it, but I don't think it really stands out all that much, except perhaps for style and presentation. If you're into Fashion Souls, this game definitely has you covered.

Now into chapter 3 of Ys VIII - Lacrimosa of Dana (PC). Just prior to getting to chapter 3, I was dragged kicking and screaming onto Windows 10 (from Windows 7) after Microsoft removed support for Win7 from Windows update. So had no choice in the matter. Grrr.

Anyways. Was worried that my new play through of Lacrimosa would be ruined, but no it's running completely fine. Loving the game, now that it doesn't crash every 5 seconds. Very fast action based. Music is excellent. Definitely video game playlist worthy.

I've also been playing Ys 8 and enjoying it a lot. Never really got into these games even though the first game on Master System is a cherished childhood memory (I never really got anywhere though since my English was lacking as an 8 year old) and I've dabbled with a couple since then. This one seems to have a lot more of stuff other than just combat compared to the others, although it's still most of what you get up to. The story is pretty good and there's some decent characters and as you mentioned the music is super catchy. I've had the night hunt music stuck in my head for the past week.

Alas, I got to chapter 6 and what seems like the very final stretch, and then I made the mistake of giving this Breath of the Wild thing a try on Cemu and promptly lost interest in everything else. What an awesome game. I'd almost be willing to buy my first console in 30 years just for that if it didn't run better on an emulator.

I've given Doom (2016) a second chance to win me over, but I think it's not managing. I'm probably a bit less than halfway through the game, but while I don't actively hate it, I'm not getting much enjoyment out of it, and I doubt that will change massively. It's definitely not the game, though, it's me: I don't particularly enjoy shooters where I constantly have to be on the move. I like being able to rest, reassess the situation and replan - or, if a game tries to keep me constantly moving, then I want the game to focus on traversal rather than combat, such as Mirror's Edge, for instance. I thought I'd enjoy Doom well enough in short, half-hour bursts, in the morning before going to work, but unless something changes drastically, It's Just Not For Me. I'll probably try to finish the level (Kadingir Sanctum, I think), but otherwise that's it and I'll focus on the rest of my backlog instead.

Quote Originally Posted by reizak View Post
    I've had the night hunt music stuck in my head for the past week.
    Something about that track super reminds me of OCRemix stuff. Just has that same kinda sound as many of the remixes over there.
    Last edited by icemann; 3rd Feb 2020 at 13:18.

Level 10,000 achieved
    DOOM 2016 goes on for so long that even a lot of people who like the game don't make it to the end, so don't feel any pressure to finish it.

I don't have much new stuff to play at the moment so I'm going through my backlog. Currently playing Driveclub, on PS4. It's a decent enough racer, somewhere between arcade and sim. The drifting events are the best.

Judith
    Finished Plague Tale recently, and it's not a good game. It reminds me of Velvet Assassin, although it's not downright broken, but it's rather poor stealth game with great graphics and dramatic storyline (that holds up only thanks to engaging French voiceover; other versions are rubbish). Binary stealth, failure means reloading a checkpoint, artificial (and mostly linear) map setups, im-sim design ignored completely.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    DOOM 2016 goes on for so long that even a lot of people who like the game don't make it to the end, so don't feel any pressure to finish it.
    Doom is not too long, they are too weak. I care not for their mewling prostestations.

Chakat sex pillow
    Rip and tear until it is done

Thing What Kicks
    The Surge just got too crashy for me, and combined with its Souls-like approach to difficulty, I'm never able to build up the momentum to power on through and see it through to the end, so I've stopped at the bio-labs.

I spent some quality time with Hitman 2 this weekend, clearing up some challenges in Hawke's Bay, after solving crashy behaviour in that too. It had somehow changed the renderer back to DX11 from DX12 and was crashing within minutes of loading a level.
    Still one of my favourite games of recent years, and the content's still coming.

I also got sucked back in to playing Witcher 3 over the weekend, but finally had to put it down last night, as the mods I was using, combined with the fact that my NG+ Geralt had reached level 100, meant the attribute point system had broken and I was no longer able to respec. I could just power on through with my current build, which is fun enough, but I want to be able to experiment, and this was enough to take the wind out of my sails.

So last night I plonked down the cash for RDR2 on the PC, as I never got around to finishing it on the PS4, and I figure long-term, some of the TTLG crew will probably end up getting it too, which opens up the possibility of co-op cowpokery.

While waiting for it to download (IT'S FECKING HEEEOOOGE), I saw that Dawn of Man was on sale, aaaand next thing you know, it's in my library.
    I started playing it while waiting on RDR2, and so far, this is very much my jam. I think this may be taking up my time for the foreseeable.
    This kind of indirect-control city-builder / management game ticks a lot of the same boxes that Dwarf Fortress does for me, and it also gives me strong Populous vibes.
    Plus, compared to RDR2, which is well over 100GB, this is tiny at around 1.7GB. The juxtaposition tickles me

Level 10,000 achieved
    I stumbled across this thing on Steam. Released Jan 17. Overwhelmingly Postivite reviews. Free. About an hour long.

It's like Hotline Miami meets Space Funeral meets Die By The Sword. Cool outsider-artstyle, amazing soundtrack, great writing, impeccable style, wonky-ass combat. It's surprising and funny and a real trip. Y'all should give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    However, I'm still in the mood for some platforming action, so I've decided that I'm going to play Sundered next!
    Aaand I'm done with it!

Well, it's not bad. I found the first of the three worlds kinda boring with all the droid-like enemies and metal corridors, especially when I couldn't do any fancy moves at the time, but I had a feeling that the game would get better, and turns out that I was absolutely right. The second world was much better and already had some eldritchy things in it. I really like the art style in Sundered, it reminds me of another metroidvania called Outland, but this does the stylish hand-drawn look even better. There's not much time to admire the views though, but the enemies and all the special effects especially look really nice.

I also like how smooth the movement and combat feels. I mean, it's really smooth. Sundered is a pure action game; you fight enemies or break stuff pretty much all the time, and that's about it. But that's okay, as the combat is really fun as soon as you learn some of the special actions. Each special move has a "normal" version and then a much cooler "corrupted" version - I chose the corrupted way of course, apparently that also makes the game easier. (Do you get any advantage if you destroy the shards?) So you fight these big hordes of all sorts of weird creatures armed with your fancy super moves and a mighty cannon, and I can tell you that it gets very hectic at times!

Surprisingly though, despite of the chaotic nature of the combat, most of the time I still had a feeling that I'm in control. I'm starting to think that I too got some eldritch-like powers while playing, as I surprised myself by dodging all those attacks and performing some superhuman moves with ease. Seriously though, I think it's all down to the smooth controls - there's something about it that feels just right. It isn't always that great, though. Sometimes the screen gets full of monsters and traps and when your character is about seven pixels tall (it zooms out for some boss fights for example) it's just impossible to see what's going on, so at that point the game turns into silly button mashing. That also works, most of the time.

I don't like the word "metroidvania", but I suppose Sundered could be described as such. The game is fairly non-linear, but you can't get past certain points before you've learned certain skills. Also, you won't be able to beat the harder enemies until you've level up your character enough. And that's probably the worst thing about Sundered - it gets so grindy after a while, having to visit the same (random-ish generated) places and to kill the same monsters over and over again, just so that you can get enough gems to level up.

Some sort of a proper story would have been nice too, but I could recommend Sundered to anyone who's looking for a fun pure action game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    (Do you get any advantage if you destroy the shards?)
    Beyond the "good" ending being locked behind destroying all the shards, you also get a special unlock tree with unique and very powerful perks each shard destroyed opens up a new unlocks. The last three of these being an extra perk slot, tripple jump and a massive boost to the cannon's damage.

But yea, the gameplay is very satisfying and the controls are tight.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Bioshock Collection is in the latest PS+, so I installed Bioshock and gave it a go. I only meant to check out that fantastic opening again, but a few hours later I'm blasting my way through Arcadia. I was ambivalent about this game back in 2007, but now I feel like, for the first time, I'm experiencing it for what it is rather than what it isn't. And it's a good game! The combat is fun, the levels are fun to explore, and all the lore and story stuff is intriguing.

Is it the remastered version that was released a couple of years ago? Never bothered to check it out as it came out only a couple of months after I had finished the original(s).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah. Been so long since I played the original I couldn't tell you how these new versions differ, aside from higher resolution obviously. Oh, and there's Director's Commentary tracks here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    I'm not sure there are any characters in any Bethesda game. I certainly can't think of any offhand..
    You want me to be your sponsor in House Hlaalu? I thought you'd never ask... But first, I want to see who I'm dealing with. Show Uncle Crassius what you have to offer. That's right, don't be shy.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The Bioshock Collection is in the latest PS+, so I installed Bioshock and gave it a go. I only meant to check out that fantastic opening again, but a few hours later I'm blasting my way through Arcadia. I was ambivalent about this game back in 2007, but now I feel like, for the first time, I'm experiencing it for what it is rather than what it isn't. And it's a good game! The combat is fun, the levels are fun to explore, and all the lore and story stuff is intriguing.
    Bioshock 2 tightened up the combat considerably, to the point where it actually got to be a little fun. BS1's combat still feels like it didn't get enough time in the oven and is safely the worst part of the game until you get to fight a metal Atlas in the end in some sort of similarly underbaked objectivist folly.

Yeah, it gets real bulletspongy real fast. Big Daddy fights are probably the best part of it. And as far as I'm concerned, Minerva's Den remains the peak of the series.

I've been playing A Plague Tale after a fellow TTLGer gifted it to me. It reminds me a lot of The Last of Us, very story driven, with gameplay broken down into chapters, and some light crafting and stealth. Enjoying it so far, but being only about 25% done, I'm hoping the style of gameplay gets changed up and/or expanded, as things are starting to get very samey. The story is solid, and is keeping me engaged. I saw someone earlier complain because it's not immersive simmish enough, which is a fairly stupid thing to say since that's definitely not the type of game it is.

Oh, and even on my 8 year old PC, the game is gorgeous and runs super smooth.

I too want to try out A Plague Tale some time, but right now I'm too busy with my metroidvanias and platformers... My current game in progress is Ori and the Blind Forest. Oh it's so pretty. Not quite Trine-level of pretty, but almost there, and really quite gorgeous at times. The music is beautiful, the atmosphere is a tiny bit melancholic but also kinda soothing, and there's something very relaxing about the whole game. It's not terribly difficult either - at least it hasn't been so far and I think I'm past the halfway point now - there's a bit of trial and error when you explore the world, and there are a couple of fairly challenging platforming bits, but that's about it. I like it and I'm definitely going to play this until the end.

I also wanted to try something a bit different after playing only action platformers for the last couple of weeks, so I'm now playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice too. It is indeed a bit different... but very interesting. I might even have to put Ori's adventures on hold until I see how this turns out.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891015202530 ... LastLast