TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116212631 ... LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

That game sure is beautiful. Very life-like.

I finished my replay of Dishonored 2 yesterday. Arkane is one of my favourite present-day studios, mainly because they tick my boxes so well - their environments are gorgeous, interesting and intelligently designed, and moving around them is generally a joy. I'm already looking forward to replaying Death of the Outsider and Prey, but first I'll want to get back to Hitman 2 and finally play its own missions (rather than replaying the Hitman missions in the sequel) and play some shorter games.

Mainly, though, I started replaying Kentucky Route Zero, since I want to revisit Acts I to IV (as well as the interludes) before playing the final one. I'm not going to rush it, though - it'll probably be one act at a time, with some other shorter games in between.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Bioshock 2 tightened up the combat considerably, to the point where it actually got to be a little fun. BS1's combat still feels like it didn't get enough time in the oven and is safely the worst part of the game until you get to fight a metal Atlas in the end in some sort of similarly underbaked objectivist folly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Yeah, it gets real bulletspongy real fast. Big Daddy fights are probably the best part of it. And as far as I'm concerned, Minerva's Den remains the peak of the series.
    I don’t know guys, I loved the combat in it. I think it helped that I played on Medium this time as well. IIRC I played on Hard the first time around, but playing on an easier setting gives you more chance to play around and get creative with the plasmids. The splicers do get too bulletspongey towards the end tho.

Anyway, BS1 finished. About to fire up this Minerva’s Den thingy everyone’s raving about.

Back when I got my RTX graphics card, I got Battlefield V with it. While I enjoyed the first couple of Battlefield games online, I never really got into any of the ones after Battlefield 3, but I've been interested in checking out the BF5 campaign as a showcase for raytracing, so this morning I returned to the War Stories. Not that I got anywhere, because the North Africa mini-campaign does a Far Cry lite thing - you're given a largeish map and a bunch of objectives to tackle in any sequence and with any strategy. I thought I'd go the stealthy route, but I'm not sure how viable this is: the Germans saw me way before I was anywhere near enough to take them out. I'll try again with different weapons, but I wonder whether their ideas for the campaign and the design of the missions don't quite work with the AI and overall balancing.

Replayed the first four acts and all the interludes of Kentucky Route Zero, then followed up immediately with Act V and the final bit (I hesitate to call it an interlude, seeing as there is nothing to follow it. Frankly speaking, I am disappointed. So much waiting - for this? It feels as if the creators were under so much pressure to provide an ending that in the end they felt they had to get something out, regardless of how many plot lines it would leave unresolved - or indeed how much sense the wrap-up of the ostensibly main plot line would make. And no, this being magical realism is not an excuse.

Then again, maybe I just do not "get" KRZ. Wouldn't be a surprise, seeing as I generally don't "get" modern art and that I stopped enjoying KRZ specifically roughly halfway through Act III.

Next up: Tower of Guns. Because I really need to relax my brain a bit after all the high-brow stuff I've been reading/watching/playing lately.

Judith
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I've been playing A Plague Tale after a fellow TTLGer gifted it to me. It reminds me a lot of The Last of Us, very story driven, with gameplay broken down into chapters, and some light crafting and stealth. Enjoying it so far, but being only about 25% done, I'm hoping the style of gameplay gets changed up and/or expanded, as things are starting to get very samey. The story is solid, and is keeping me engaged. I saw someone earlier complain because it's not immersive simmish enough, which is a fairly stupid thing to say since that's definitely not the type of game it is.

Oh, and even on my 8 year old PC, the game is gorgeous and runs super smooth.
    The only fairly stupid thing will be the look on your face when you realize nothing in this game will change for the better, you boob as the game doesn't try to be anything but a set of artificial rat/torch/guard/puzzle setups dressed with great graphics and dramatic storyline, where everything gets more and more ridiculous / trial-and-error grade.

Judith, I don't doubt your criticisms of A Plague Tale at all. If you see in my quoted post above, I was already having doubts the game would hold up.

My point was, you criticized it for not having an Immersive Sim type design, when that's completely not even close to the type of game it is, or is even trying to be. It just seemed like and odd, random statement.

I did end up finishing Ori and the Blind Forest before Senua's Sacrifice after all, and I must say that it was a very enjoyable experience. Around two years ago I actually had a chance to play Ori for half an hour or so, but it didn't really catch my interest back then, so I decided that I'd wait for a good discount before giving it another chance. Well, I got it for a fiver two weeks ago and it was definitely one of my better investments lately.

Ori is indeed a damn beautiful game in many ways; the visuals, the music, and the story - they're all superb. I've seen a lot of people call Ori frustratingly difficult, but even though there are some difficulty spikes, I actually enjoyed those challenges and never found the game too difficult at any point. It's nowhere near as frustrating as Hollow Knight for example when it comes to difficulty. The gameplay is incredibly smooth and enables you to do some really precise moves (those are often required too!), and in addition to the usual double jumps and wall runs there are some more unusual abilities too.

If I have to find something negative to say about the game, I think it lacks a bit in character - Ori plays it a bit too safe with the fairytale card, but then again the all-around prettiness makes up for it. Even though the forest is evidently in great danger, it never really feels like there's something bad happening. The enemies are mostly some slimy blobs that don't feel very hostile, and pretty much everything is nice and pretty. But that's part of the fairytale thing and it probably wouldn't work otherwise.

Ori and the Blind Forest is quite a rare exception these days, because I genuinely didn't want the game to end so soon. I found all the secrets and collectibles during my play through (around 10 hours), so apart from the higher difficulty levels there's not much reason to return to the game any time soon, which is a shame. But... I just found out that there's a sequel coming out in less than a month! \/ Right now Ori and the Will of the Wisps goes to the top of my hype list.

Judith
    Judith, I don't doubt your criticisms of A Plague Tale at all. If you see in my quoted post above, I was already having doubts the game would hold up.

My point was, you criticized it for not having an Immersive Sim type design, when that's completely not even close to the type of game it is, or is even trying to be. It just seemed like and odd, random statement.
    Ah, okay then. I should have elaborated a bit, I was on the phone while commuting. I thought that im-sim design approach was with stealth games almost from the beginning, and it's hard for me to think about a good stealth game that doesn't employ it at least in some minimal extent (correct me if I'm wrong).

In this case, that would be e.g. some more coherent rules on how rats are used (maybe on certain lighting conditions, not whenever designers see fit, or to easily ramp up the tension, because often that is super obvious to a player as well).

Or things like having at least some room in the levels where you can escape when being detected by a guard? What made me most disappointed with this otherwise gorgeous game is the general lack of room for player expression when things go wrong. You make a mistake with rats, you have one second to realize it, and bam, you're dead, auto-reload. A guard sees you, bam, one-hit kill. And it gets worse later. There are one-hit-kill archers, and a particularly frustrating cart section. There will be maps with no detection objective as well.

Yeah, I wish the puzzle setups were more im-simmy, as they feel more and more artificial as the game goes: at some point you get timed runs with rats not fearing the daylight but getting back to their holes when a lightning strikes. All that looks weird when made with beautiful photogrammery scans they got from Quixel. Maybe more simplified graphics would make this less jarring? Not sure. The only thing that felt really consistent to me was the player toolset, didn't even mind the crafting bit.
    Last edited by Judith; 14th Feb 2020 at 05:22.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ugh, yeah, that cart section was annoying. It was just a matter of trial and error, memorizing where the baddies are gonna come from so you can hit them with rocks the moment they pop up on the next go-around.

As I've been playing nothing but Y's 8 lately, I felt like playing something else.

For the first time in quite a few years played XCOM 2 - Terror from the Deep:

My copy of this game that I'd used for play throughs from the 90s onwards was not exactly legit. Oddly going with a legit copy from Steam gave me worse results on the audio end. Lots of audio crackling. I tried changing things in the installer settings which helped a bit, but it's still there. Not sure if it's a Windows 10 thing. Need to check against my other version of it.

Anyways. Playing this game after years of playing the Firaxis XCOM's, Xenonauts and more recently Phoenix Point. Wow. It's nice to drop into a game and just be left to figure out everything. No tutorials, no tips, no nothing. Figure it out yourself. That's the pre-2000s way . Hard game but that's fine. Controls though and the lack of info on what every in-game button does, left me longing for the more newer games in that regard. You really need to lower the dosbox cpu cycles for scrolling to not go insanely fast. Rest is fine. Not sure if I'll stick with it, but was nice to play something else.

Game sure is hard though. In my quick play through (as you see in the above video) I took on 2 alien ships, then got a terror mission this early on. Bloody hell. I'm still using harpoon and jet weapons at this stage. Was just starting to research and manufacture Gauss weaponry (which is a MUST to get ASAP in TFTD) when that popped up. Expecting to get slaughtered. Not even researched the sonic grenades yet. Dayam. It's just weird going from the more newer XCOM's which go with skill point progression + classes, to no classes and purely combat based stat growth (where the more battles your troops take part in, the better their stats). Refreshing in a way.
    Last edited by icemann; 14th Feb 2020 at 12:00.

Re: A Plague Tale, agreed on all the points above. I've had to reload/restart far more than I like in this game, which usually means we've moved into trial and error territory, and that's not a fun way to play a game. In general, everything's very linear with little room for error if you don't play exactly the way they want you to.

I was still enjoying the game though, but then I got to the part where you play as the kid (Hugo) and it all kind of fell apart for me. I can only suspend belief so much, and that just kind of crossed the line. Then after that, when you head back to the castle with more rat puzzles with moving braziers and climbing ladders, and my interest level just kind of took a nosedive.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    My copy of this game that I'd used for play throughs from the 90s onwards was not exactly legit. Oddly going with a legit copy from Steam gave me worse results on the audio end. Lots of audio crackling. I tried changing things in the installer settings which helped a bit, but it's still there. Not sure if it's a Windows 10 thing. Need to check against my other version of it.
    Apparently, they got openXcom working with TFTD: https://openxcom.org/2015/08/terror-...the-nightlies/

Can't think of a good reason why anyone would play without it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I was still enjoying the game though, but then I got to the part where you play as the kid (Hugo) and it all kind of fell apart for me. I can only suspend belief so much, and that just kind of crossed the line. Then after that, when you head back to the castle with more rat puzzles with moving braziers and climbing ladders, and my interest level just kind of took a nosedive.
    You're pretty close to the end, so I'd say keep going! The story does go in some kinda interesting directions, and the finale is pretty spectacular.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished Minerva's Den. For the most part it felt pretty much like Bioshock 2, and I was wondering what all the fuss was about, but then I got to the finale. Ah! *chef's kiss* What an ending! Wonderfully paced and presented, and the way it makes earlier plot points slide into place and the whole story clicks together is so beautiful. Yeah, this might well be the most perfect of the Bioshock stories.

I see the Bioshock Collection also includes the Bioshock Infinite DLCs, which I've likewise never played. I though BSI was pretty meh, but is Burial at Sea still worth giving a go? Am I right in remembering that it's kinda stealth-focused?

Just finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Unique and interesting game, rather weird, too weird towards the end, stunningly beautiful, simple gameplay and simple puzzles that get a bit repetitive, oh and did I say weird already? Yeah, it's a good one, and anyone who's looking for something <s>a bit</s> totally different should try it out.

Next up is a game that I've really been looking forward to playing for a while: Trine 4! I've loved all the previous games in the series - yes, even the notorious third game - and I've been saving this gem for the right moment. And this is it, the perfect moment. Can't wait!

I have recently been made aware that wolves hunt in packs and goblins fear fire. About 3 million times in an hour.

Aka. replaying Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

Thing What Kicks
    Ah, pawns. They may be idiots, but they're weirdly lovable ones.

Apparently, they got openXcom working with TFTD: https://openxcom.org/2015/08/terror-...the-nightlies/

Can't think of a good reason why anyone would play without it.
    After seeing your post, I headed off and downloaded openXcom and HOLY HOT DAMN is it good. Vastly improved experience. Better resolution options. Native windows support. Lots of in-game stuff too, like seeing the radius from your bases of how far the radar distance goes (like in Phoenix Point), interception options, ability to save and load in a mission (without having to exit out first, in the case of loading). Difficulty seems to have been toned down a bit too.

Now I say that, and the first encounter I got was a terror mission but ah well .

Quite impressive overall.
    Last edited by icemann; 15th Feb 2020 at 07:35.

And they fixed all the outstanding bugs too.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Finished Minerva's Den. For the most part it felt pretty much like Bioshock 2, and I was wondering what all the fuss was about, but then I got to the finale. Ah! *chef's kiss* What an ending! Wonderfully paced and presented, and the way it makes earlier plot points slide into place and the whole story clicks together is so beautiful. Yeah, this might well be the most perfect of the Bioshock stories.

I see the Bioshock Collection also includes the Bioshock Infinite DLCs, which I've likewise never played. I though BSI was pretty meh, but is Burial at Sea still worth giving a go? Am I right in remembering that it's kinda stealth-focused?
    BAS is my favorite part of the whole series (and honestly, I can't even remember Minerva's Den despite definitely playing it). Story is a bit bollocks following on BSI's ending bollocks, but the gameplay in pt.2 is the best of the series.

And they fixed all the outstanding bugs too.
    Did they fix the lobsterman technician issue, where you had to go to an alien base to find one?

One new bug introduced in openXcom is no matter how nany times you reload, you get the same outcome. In normal TFTD you'd get different outcomes since it would do the hidden dice rolls when you shot, walked etc. Where as in openXcom all the dice rolls are worked out beforehand. Very annoying if your a save scummer like me. You see it happening quite a few times in that last video I posted, a few posts up.

Chakat sex pillow
    Is that a bug? It simply means they've implemented some flavour of static seed for the RNG like XCOM and XCOM 2 do.

Well it's an annoyance. I had to roll back to an earlier save in one case, as no matter what I tried one of my squad guys would die. I've always played the XCOM-alikes with a "leave no man behind" mentality.
    Last edited by icemann; 16th Feb 2020 at 02:25.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Did they fix the lobsterman technician issue, where you had to go to an alien base to find one?
    Was that a bug? If you're having trouble with them, lob alien grenades (once you have them) or just use the stun rod. It's surprisingly effective.

Also, wouldn't savescumming make the game too easy and way less tense? I would highly encourage you to try without, even if you have to lower the difficulty. Might want to start with the first game, though, as the second one kind of ups the ante a lot (the tentaculats alone will be enough to give you some serious nightmares).
    Last edited by Starker; 16th Feb 2020 at 02:38.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116212631 ... LastLast