TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 449

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

  1. #151
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Okay, I watched a little bit of your playing and there are a few things that caught my eye.

    * First off, forget the dart guns. The only thing they do to most aliens is tickle them a little and even aquatoids can survive multiple hits from them. Tougher aliens can walk around like hedgehogs with no worse to wear.
    * Jet harpoons are also weaksauce and need to be replaced ASAP.
    * Give everyone gas cannons that are able to carry them. They have good accuracy and are the only weapon to really pack a punch against the starting aliens, especially gill men.
    * Do equip and use grenades and explosive ammunition (carefully in terror missions, of course). Your soldiers are not all that accurate starting out, but they don't really have to be with explosives -- if an alien is standing against a wall, it really doesn't matter if you hit the alien or the wall behind it.
    * Starting from gas cannons, you can knock holes in walls and it's often a good idea to make your own doors.
    * You can open doors without walking through them. Right click behind the door when facing it.
    * You can shoot without the soldier seeing the alien, as long as you have a line of sight. You can kill enemies across the map that way.

  2. #152
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    No still hard. I only use it for squad deaths, which naturally over the course of the game becomes less frequent. Not interested in playing with deaths left in. That's not my play style. I completely get how people would love it though.

    Playing like that in Phoenix Point would = a complete game over quite quickly.

  3. #153
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    That video was from starting gameplay. If you watch it to the end I'm using gauss rifles and sonic grenades by the end.

  4. #154
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Okay, I watched the rest of the video and a few more things:

    * Don't leave your guys in the open where the enemy can take potshots at them at their leisure. Forget reserving time units for snap shots, especially when your soldiers have really crappy reaction (and it won't improve for a while). It is better to be out of time units, but hunkering down behind a corner or an obstacle than out in the open with time units to spare.
    * Remember where the aliens are. Don't just ignore them and let them wander around. During the alien phase, when you see movement, make note of the place it occurred -- that's the direction you want to pay extra attention to.
    * Use squad tactics and sweep the area. Don't try to do everything with one soldier. Use one soldier to spot the enemy, then others to take them down. Remember, you don't need for your soldiers to be seeing the enemy, just make sure they have a line of sight to take a clean shot.
    * Gauss rifles have one big advantage -- their auto fire. Make use of it. It might take more ammo, but it's relatively cheap to produce and the chances of a shot hitting are often better with auto. And use it to knock down walls, since gauss guns often need a few hits.
    * Gauss weapons might be relatively decent early game, but IIRC they are completely ineffective against some types of enemies. I don't think they can even damage lobster men, for example.

    You can play like you want, of course, far be from me to judge how other people play games, but loading over and over again, moving your soldiers in a bit different way and hoping to hit / not get hit this time doesn't seem like it's a whole lot of fun. And the stakes are a bit more higher when the outcome isn't pre-determined.

    And use grenades, seriously. And it's not a bad idea to keep a gas cannon guy around with phosphorous rounds for those pesky night time missions.
    Last edited by Starker; 16th Feb 2020 at 05:14.

  5. #155
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Sure. All good points. I'd not played the game in agggggeeeeessssssssss.

  6. #156
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Played a bit further, and I got a terror mission on a boat. Lobstermen and the floating brains. My gauss riles do bugger all against the lobstermen. The heavy gauss weapons do moderate damage, but only one of my guys has that. Had to mostly use sonic grenades to take out the lobstermen. Took out the last enemy, nearly out of all ammo, thinking it was all over. Nope that was just the top side part of it. Now have to fight in the lower levels of the ship. My god. Only have 10 sonic grenades left.

    In my earlier play throughs of the game on rookie difficulty I never got this combination before. I'd got ship levels prior, but not with that enemy combination this early. Man this games hard. Even Phoenix Point which throws an insanely hard difficulty jump, does it far later on in the game. Not sure if I'll continue on.

  7. #157
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    TFTD always has been special in this regard. That's why it's a good idea to pack lots of explosives and at least a few stun rods -- lobster man favourites. Otherwise, you'd have to resort to scavenging the battlefield.

  8. #158
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Managed to get past it in the end. Had to scavenge sonic pulse grenades off corpses. Took many reloads but got it done in the end.

  9. #159
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    I have a lot of nostalgia for this stuff. Lots of nights playing this and Alone in the Dark and watching stuff like the X-Files and Outer Limits on the TV. For me, the game counted as real horror, even on a shoddy black and white CRT screen.

  10. #160
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: the Sheeple Pen
    I never really got into Terror From the Deep, even though I loved Enemy Unknown. I can't remember exactly why that was, but I do remember TFTD being somehow hellishly difficult. Enemy Unknown was already a tough one, but damn, TFTD was something else. Or am I just imagining that it was much harder? I also remember not really liking the underwater maps in most missions, so I don't think I ever even got very far in the game.

  11. #161
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Believe it or not, there are actually mods that make it harder, but yes, it was notoriously more difficult. Not only are your own weapons weaker (nothing like those infinite ammo laser rifles), the aliens are much tougher and much more lethal. You need to be screening your soldiers for best recruits and get proper weapons ASAP if you want to stand on equal footing with them. And if you're playing without savescumming or without saving altogether, you absolutely need to use tanks / rookies as cannon fod scouts. Just equip your crappy newbs with primed explosives as a dead man's switch and taking on those tentaculats / invading USOs gets much more managable until you unlock mind control and can use aliens for that purpose.

    Also, those lobster man terror missions are actually not all that hard, if you do them in the right way:


  12. #162
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    So just quit them?

  13. #163
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Yes. The alternative is possibly spending hours looking in every small closet, nook, and cranny and face the room of death in the second part. This mission is bullshit and you're better off taking the reputation hit by landing and aborting (better than ignoring it altogether).

    Here's what the alternative looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToZp...C903F52D8D6B67

  14. #164
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    For me it went down like:



    Compared to the guy in your video, I have no armor yet, all gauss weapons and sonic pulsars. The sonic pulsars are what got me over the line. Since then been researching sonic weaponry at my main base, and aqua plastic armor at my second. Third base in construction. Since that mission, I've been getting almost nothing but lobstermen thrown at me on missions. Currently stuck on a terror mission, on land. Nothing but lobstermen and the floating brains again. At least it's not a 2 parter and not on a ship.

  15. #165
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    I see you're still not fully convinced about auto-fire. Just a quick demonstration... at 15:27 you take a snap shot at 36% accuracy and 17 TU. An auto shot would have costed just 5 time units more and the chance of not a single one hitting would have been ~37% (0.72*0.72*0.72=0.37), which means the chance of even one shot hitting would have been nearly 63%, even better than taking an aimed shot with the same gun at 56% and 34 time units.

    Also, IIRC the fumes/smoke doesn't hurt your soldiers, but they do accumulate some stun damage when spending turns in there.

    Bunching your guys together at 1:10:00 was just a beautiful prayer circle asking for a grenade, and the game delivered.

    You might want to scavenge the battlefield when facing tough enemies. Don't just leave grenades lying around at enemy corpses when they could be used for cooking some fine lobster.

    Might want to pack at least a few stun rods. They are very cheap and help both in melee as well as help with people control in terror missions. Remember -- a good civilian is a civilian lying at your feet, unconscious. And lobster men are extra vulnerable to both melee and stun.

    The next part might possibly be of the toughest rooms in the game. If you're lucky, you might get away with only half of your squad killed, depending on the breaks.

    Not that it really matters if you just save and load through it, though. Look, I'm not saying this to be mean, but the constant saving and loading to get the optimal result just doesn't make for very riveting gameplay.

  16. #166
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Absolutely on the last bit. I cut back on uploading gameplay after that one. That would make for tedious viewing for many.

    And for something completely different. In my latest gameplay stream of Y's 8 - Lacrimosa of Dana, I cut loose to some music:



    I don't normally put copyrighted music in my videos on purpose, but for once I just said fuck it. Got a copyright claim as soon as this uploaded, but it didn't get blocked or copyright striked (only a claim to take all the revenue of the video) which for one video I don't really care. Just a bit of fun. The pixelation is due to streamlabs.
    Last edited by icemann; 17th Feb 2020 at 22:03.

  17. #167
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: the Sheeple Pen
    That video is unavailable for me - it says that it's private, and I can't watch it.

  18. #168
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Gah. Forgot to set to public. Try now. In the link I set it to jump straight to the bit, but if it just starts from the beginning jump to 1:31:00.

    That bit in the video is not intended to be serious or even good in the slightest. It's just me doing something COMPLETELY different for once.
    Last edited by icemann; 17th Feb 2020 at 22:02.

  19. #169
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: Switzerland
    I've been wanting to replay Assassin's Creed III (in the remastered version) lately, for various reasons, masochism being just one of them. However, the game runs so poorly on my PC (and sure, I've got an ultrawide 1440p screen and the settings were all at max, but I do have a 9900k and a 2080 Ti, so the game has no excuse to run somewhere around 20 fps), even after tweaking the settings, so I decided that Connor can get lost, at least on PC. This morning I started the Red Dead Redemption 2 story instead, and the game runs smoothly and is utterly beautiful, which makes it all the more ridiculous that the AC3 that came out last year and that looks so much more primitive than RDR2 runs at about a quarter of the framerate.

    Those games are mainly for the mornings before I'm off to work, though. Mainly, I'm still savouring my replay of Kentucky Route Zero. I finished Act II over the weekend and am looking forward especially to Act III and *that* moment.

  20. #170
    Moderator
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: Hong Kong
    Out of interest, how many hours of gaming do you cram in before work? And are you often late getting to work as a result?

  21. #171
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: Switzerland
    Not much. I mainly wait for my wife to get ready, as we work in the same part of town, so I usually get 30-45 minutes of gaming done in the morning when I feel like it. When she's done, I'm done, so I'm not late as a result - but then I don't have to be there by a specific time. As long as I'm in by 9am, everything's fine, and if it wasn't a regular thing I could even go in later, as long as I put in my hours.

  22. #172
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: flapping in the wind
    That AC3 issue is baffling since your system should be able to just brute force even a terribly optimized game, but some people have solved the same problem by setting the application-specific options for "maximum performance" (or whatever it's called, I have an AMD) in the Nvidia control panel. Could be some weird driver bug, dunno.

    After a few weeks of being obsessed with Zelda: Breath of the Wild I finally "finished" it. That is I beat Ganon; there's still a bunch of side stuff to do if I'm so inclined, but I usually lose motivation in these things after finishing the main quest, which is why I tried to do everything before rolling over Ganon with my ridiculously overpowered Link. I finished all 120 shrines and the DLC shrines, but found the Master Sword trials too annoying to bother with. They plonk you into a series of twenty or so levels without any of your equipment, and if you die before reaching the end you have to start from the beginning, and it takes too long and is too easy to mess up in that I didn't find it particularly fun. I also only found about 100 of the 900 (!) korok seeds, and while a lot of them are cleverly hidden and the little thieves are pretty cute I'll pass on that. Either way I really got into this game, and have that slightly empty feeling now that it's over. Maybe I'll harness that feeling for a replay of Disco Elysium.

  23. #173
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    I see you're still not fully convinced about auto-fire. Just a quick demonstration... at 15:27 you take a snap shot at 36% accuracy and 17 TU. An auto shot would have costed just 5 time units more and the chance of not a single one hitting would have been ~37% (0.72*0.72*0.72=0.37), which means the chance of even one shot hitting would have been nearly 63%, even better than taking an aimed shot with the same gun at 56% and 34 time units.

    Also, IIRC the fumes/smoke doesn't hurt your soldiers, but they do accumulate some stun damage when spending turns in there.

    Bunching your guys together at 1:10:00 was just a beautiful prayer circle asking for a grenade, and the game delivered.

    You might want to scavenge the battlefield when facing tough enemies. Don't just leave grenades lying around at enemy corpses when they could be used for cooking some fine lobster.

    Might want to pack at least a few stun rods. They are very cheap and help both in melee as well as help with people control in terror missions. Remember -- a good civilian is a civilian lying at your feet, unconscious. And lobster men are extra vulnerable to both melee and stun.

    The next part might possibly be of the toughest rooms in the game. If you're lucky, you might get away with only half of your squad killed, depending on the breaks.

    Not that it really matters if you just save and load through it, though. Look, I'm not saying this to be mean, but the constant saving and loading to get the optimal result just doesn't make for very riveting gameplay.
    I have no excuse on tactics either, as I actually own the official strategy guide to the game in physical form (only currently via my Ebay side business). It does make for an interesting read.

    Lobstermen not as much of a problem by the point in the game I'm at now. All my troops are in aqua-plastic armor. Still no better weapons than Gauss, but just about done on researching sonic-blaster rifles. Then I'll research the cannons.

  24. #174
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    The game does have bit of a learning curve. The main thing is to get behind obstacles and to manage time units -- know exactly how much each action takes and plan accordingly. For scouting, it's a good idea to bring a tank along and it also comes in handy when you want to capture deep ones, since they can't really damage it.

    Also, screening and training soldiers is quite important in the long run. Hire a whole bunch, keep the best, and try to have rookies get the first killing shot, so they can get experience. And until you can get psi training to weed out psionically weak soldiers, fire anyone who gets mind controlled on the first turn.
    Last edited by Starker; 21st Feb 2020 at 01:43.

  25. #175
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Don't they get better at that stuff over time? Like get better mind resistance, ability to do MC's themselves etc etc.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •