TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I am also playing arthouse trucking sim Kentucky Route Zero. Finished Act 3 yesterday, it was super-long and really kinda bleak by the end.

Also picked up The Outer Worlds for PS4, gonna get into it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Don't they get better at that stuff over time? Like get better mind resistance, ability to do MC's themselves etc etc.
    Nope. Psi skill you can train, but the resistance stat is fixed for life. Likewise, energy recovery is fixed for life (initial TUs/3, rounded down). Also, bravery is somewhat difficult to improve, since it essentially requires you to get soldiers killed.

Every primary stat (react, fire acc, melee acc, throw acc, psi skill, bravery) you can improve by taking relevant actions that increase them (taking react shots, firing and hitting, meleeing, throwing, using psi skill, resisting panic) -- 1 action gets an increase of 0-1 points, 3 actions 1-3 points, 6 actions 1-4 points, and 11+ actions 2-6 points. So, for example, if you want to improve throwing accuracy, have every soldier throw an item to another 3 times.

Secondary stats (energy, TUs, health, strength) improve whenever you have taken any primary action in mission other than throwing, no matter which one or how many times you do it.

Also...
    Reaction is more important than you'd think -- it not only allows you to get reaction shots, but also determines who gets to go first in a situation. So if you encounter an alien during your turn and it is aware of you, both of your reactions get compared to determine whether the alien gets a reaction shot or not. The effective reaction stat is a percentage of remaining TUs, so a unit out of TUs (eg. panicked) never gets a reaction shot and a unit with full TUs gets the full chance of whatever their stat is.

Firing accuracy improves any time you hit a hostile enemy (mind controlled aliens count as friendlies) and one getting caught in the blast of an explosive shot counts as a hit, so it's not a bad idea to give your rookies either explosive weapons or weapons capable of auto fire. I usually keep them around near the starting position so they can take the first shots whenever one of the squads combing the map sees an enemy.

Melee accuracy is a pointless stat, since every melee weapon has amazing accuracy anyway.

Throw accuracy is so trivial to train you might as well do it on your last turn or whenever a squad has reached the end of their route.

Psi skill goes up so fast (and gets trained automatically in psi labs), it's almost no effort to train. And once you get the amps or whatever they are called in TFTD, you're a master of the battlefield anyway, so you get many many chances for it.
    Last edited by Starker; 21st Feb 2020 at 08:40.

Interesting. In regards to reaction, that would explain why some of my squad guys were taking shots at enemies even though I hadn't set them to take up to take shots. Quite a few times in one go as well.

Yeah, no, it happens automatically, if the soldier's reaction level is higher than the alien's and there are enough TUs. And it's always a snap shot, so it retracts whatever percentage TUs it costs from the reaction level. Same goes for aliens -- once they get a reaction shot, their reaction level decreases.

Ah cool. Well you know the game wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more in depth than me. And I've played the game a dozen or more times.

Yeah, even before I got the game, I read about it in a book / gaming guide (it was before WWW really took off) where they had all kinds of strategies and little tricks to give you an edge. Like for example you never have to do terror missions at night, because they will not disappear while one of your crafts is targeting it. And explosive blasts don't expand upwards, so grenades cannot hurt your or enemy flying soldiers.

Still Subjective
    Spiderman on PS4.

27% into the main story now and what a fun game. The movement is really great. The modelling of the city is amazing. Very well done and two thumbs up so far.

That game really needs a PC port.

El Shagmeister
    Currently playing...

• Spider-Man + DLC (PS4).
    • Blasphemous (PC).
    • Invisible Inc. + Contingency DLC (PC).
    • Fallout: New Vegas UE + a buncha mods (PC).
    • Stardew Valley (PC) - Co-op mostly atm.
    • Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (PC) - Co-op only. God bless remote play on Steam.

I've tried to keep my Trine 4 sessions short so that the game lasts longer, so I took a little break from it, and started another fairytale kind of a game instead:

Mages of Mystralia. I was going to rush through it, but I just can't seem to be able to play games that way... so in the end I got all the achievements. It didn't take too long though, and it was a fun little adventure. The game is like some sort of a Zelda / Little Big Adventure / Magicka crossover, and a pretty good one at that. The graphics are colourful and cute, nothing terrible happens to anyone, there's a little bit of harmless humour, and it's all very nice and charming.

The best thing about MoM is without a doubt the magic system. It's simply magnificent! There are four different types of spells, but during the game you'll find lots of different kind of runes, and by combining those you can create some very imaginative and complicated spells. Coming up with your own spells is really fun, even though at one point I semi-accidentally invented a proper killer spell that got me through just about every fight in the game. I don't think that the system is very well balanced; there are some rune combinations that are ridiculously good, but hey, at least it's fun! It's a shame, however, that the game wastes a lot of the potential of this incredible magic system. You don't really need to create those complex spells, at least not for combat. There are puzzles where you need to use your imagination a bit, but even those are often quite simple.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Fallout: New Vegas UE + a buncha mods (PC).
    You better be playing that with the New California and Autumn Leaves singleplayer mods. They will forever be part of any NV play through I do from here on. Fallout - Fronteer is on the horizon too.

That moment in Kentucky Route Zero Act III is still one of my favourite moments in games, but really in any medium - not least because the game borrows so well from a range of media.

Does anyone here know if the interlude between Acts II and III still works in VR? I doubt that it’d really be for most VR aficionados, but for someone like me who’s into theatre as well, it’d be fascinating.

Chakat sex pillow
    Since QD finally fixed Detroit: Become Human on PC so it doesn't max out every single CPU thread you throw at it, I've been playing a bit and... yeah, it's a David Cage game. So far the story is like if you slammed bits of Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain, and a random android awakening together. I'm not warming to it, but I'm not cool on it either - not yet, at least. Much of the story is hammy, and yet a lot of the scenarios could work if there were actually, like no words. None. Just make it silent theatre with Cage's ham hands nowhere around any speaking parts and it'd be 100% more compelling, though it still appropriates the history of slavery in America to tell a science-fiction robot story*. But, this is also keeping in mind I'm only halfway through. We all know Monsieur Cage's games are these confections that tend to deflate at the end like the world's most overbaked souffle.

So it has this menu girl named Chloe in the background who's an android that keeps looking around the screen at random and comments on shit you do - if you're booting up the game after a day, she'll say it's been a while. If you don't do anything for a bit, she'll quote random trivia. If you go into the options section, she'll explain you're at the options section, which lets you select various options - gee, thanks Chloe. Is there an option for you to go stick your fingers in a light socket and hum the theme song to Short Circuit? No?

She just asked me a question. 'Are we friends?' And I'm like, 'Listen, you're basically I Feel Fantastic but marginally more horrifying because there isn't even a synth track in the background to take the edge off.' So I click on 'No'. And she doesn't say anything, but she continues looking around at the screen with a quivering lip and sad eyes and is just very actively distraught.

I suddenly catch myself feeling bad about this for a second. Like, actually considering what I would have lost if I'd just said 'Yes' to this random digital assemblage (modelled after a very gorgeous person, no doubt) instead of being the man in black realistic. And y'know, that's actually this game's biggest triumph: it's not the story and its granular choice->consequence flowchart, it's the ability to weaponise performance capture. I mean, I still feel like I need to go back and make this stupid menu android happy, even though I can't now; I made my choice. It's gonna stay with me. And that's a good thing.

*This can actually be done right if your treatment isn't all blunt riffs off history or general asspulls, and has been attempted by not just Asimov or Clarke. There's an old IF game called LASH that made a better fist of it, and while it still fails, it's the kind of failure that points the way instead of circumscribing the entire territory as an irradiated no man's land.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 23rd Feb 2020 at 14:40.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    You better be playing that with the New California and Autumn Leaves singleplayer mods. They will forever be part of any NV play through I do from here on. Fallout - Fronteer is on the horizon too.
    What do those mods do then? It's the amount of "essential" mods that has always put me off the game, but I think it's about time I gave New Vegas a try after owning it for about eight years.

Chakat sex pillow
    They're both additional, fan-made campaigns. Quality-wise, I don't know if they're up to snuff with the rest of NV, but I hear good things about New Calif at least.

Oh, that's right, Detroit did actually come out on PC, didn't it? Must keep an eye out for a sale.

David Cage gets a lot of flak, some of it deserved, but I have never come away from his games with the feeling I have lost something. Omikron, Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain -- they've all had something memorable, something interesting, whether it was in a good or a bad way.

Omikron was clunky as hell to play and had a somewhat cheesy premise and looked like a budget Blade Runner rip-off, but the high concept was actually pretty cool and IMO it nailed the weird alien feel of the world pretty successfully, not unlike some far better games, such as Outcast and Morrowind and perhaps Beyond Good and Evil.

Fahrenheit is actually pretty damn good in the beginning. It had me completely hooked for maybe a solid third of the game, even if the completely bonkers latter parts are just The Room in video game form.

Heavy Rain is probably the most boring of Cage games (though, as Yahtzee suggested, it does get a bit more interesting if you headcanon the FBI agent into being a visitor from the future suffering from the effects of time travel when he changes the future), but it still has its moments and again, the high concept of how far someone would go to save their child is a potentially interesting one to explore -- would you kill someone, would you kill yourself, etc... It's not always executed well in the game, but the finger scene did make me flinch, it was just that brutal.

Sure, his games are all about taking an interesting premise and not doing anything interesting with it, but he sure as hell fails in an entertaining way.

As an aside, every time I read the words "I feel fantastic", this is the song that plays in my head.

I couldn't make it through Fahrenheit. I tried, I really did - I didn't even make it to the bonkers stuff, which is a shame. But the thought of those quicktime events makes me shudder. Omikorn seemed cool to me but I didn't manage to get past the clunkiness on that one, either.

Maybe watch it on Youtube or something. It's probably worth it for the reactions alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    What do those mods do then? It's the amount of "essential" mods that has always put me off the game, but I think it's about time I gave New Vegas a try after owning it for about eight years.
    Both are singleplayer expansion mods.

New California - New start to the game and set in a completely new area, set 20 years prior to New Vegas. You actually start off in a vault now. It's pretty good, but not perfect. Has some new game mechanics, weapons etc in there. My only 2 gripes with it is that the new party members aren't as fleshed out as they could be. They were going to be expanded but then the devs were itching to go and make their own game after spending so much time on the mod (10 years I think), and so that got ditched many months later. The other negative is that there isn't really any side areas to explore. Main locations only. Again that was going to be fixed as well, and later ditched. A real shame.

The end of New California takes you to the start of New Vegas. Goes for approximately 4-6 hours. Could be more, as I have only played the original release. There was several updates to it afterword. The best parts in this is the all out war segments. These bits are fantastic. New Vegas's campaign ain't got nothing like what you'll see here.

Autumn Leaves - This adds 1 new location to the existing New Vegas map. Things go more in a story / narrative heavy way. So it's very different to how things go down in standard NV. I really enjoyed this. There is some combat, but it's not often. Far more talking to people. You can pick up a few new perks (gained via finding collectables, then going to a computer and picking which new perk you want). Voice acting is quite good, and the story is great. Goes for a few hours.

Tried out the Dying Light Free Weekend.

This is what Dead Island should have fucking been.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    David Cage gets a lot of flak, some of it deserved, but I have never come away from his games with the feeling I have lost something. Omikron, Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain -- they've all had something memorable, something interesting, whether it was in a good or a bad way.

Omikron was clunky as hell to play and had a somewhat cheesy premise and looked like a budget Blade Runner rip-off, but the high concept was actually pretty cool and IMO it nailed the weird alien feel of the world pretty successfully, not unlike some far better games, such as Outcast and Morrowind and perhaps Beyond Good and Evil.

Fahrenheit is actually pretty damn good in the beginning. It had me completely hooked for maybe a solid third of the game, even if the completely bonkers latter parts are just The Room in video game form.

Heavy Rain is probably the most boring of Cage games (though, as Yahtzee suggested, it does get a bit more interesting if you headcanon the FBI agent into being a visitor from the future suffering from the effects of time travel when he changes the future), but it still has its moments and again, the high concept of how far someone would go to save their child is a potentially interesting one to explore -- would you kill someone, would you kill yourself, etc... It's not always executed well in the game, but the finger scene did make me flinch, it was just that brutal.
    Absolutely. Fahrenheit always had the most interesting of openings, and Heavy Rain had a fairly decent set of ideas. It's always been the execution and the denouement that unravels the enterprise. Heavy Rain isn't great by any metric, but there are glimpses of something there that could have been good. The thing with Cage is, he comes up with these neat ideas that work for one-shot vignettes, but has trouble linking them into a cogent narrative. What is fantastic without a shadow of a doubt is the team he's working with - they've a mastery of visual design and technical artistry that's pretty much up there with the best in the industry. Detroit's quite a system hog, though. I don't think it'd do 60 FPS at High settings even at 1080p unless you have something like a 2070.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    As an aside, every time I read the words "I feel fantastic", this is the song that plays in my head.
    Hah, it's been a while. I actually missed it.

@froghawk: yes, please at least watch a playthrough like Starker suggested. It's the most gobsmacking 200mph to batshit insane trainwreck ever made in gaming, and it's worth it for at least that.

Damn, Red Dead Redemption 2 is gorgeous on PC! It was already beautiful on PS4 and a big screen, but I'm still wowed just by moving through that sublime landscape.

Though the bit where you're relocating to your camp near Valentine highlights some of the restrictive design bullshit that Rockstar is still prone to. If you take the wrong way (that would still take you to where you're going), blam! Mission failed, start again. No warning in the dialogue (something that happens in other missions), no "Where are you going, Arthur? It's straight ahead!"

For whatever comes next for Rockstar, I very much hope that they invest some time in more robust yet flexible systems. They can still have relatively tightly scripted missions while at the same time allowing for more freedom, or at least better, more organic signposting. If it's so important that you take exactly the right path, Hosea could react to you getting off course, he could first caution, then warn you, and then there could be O'Driscolls or Pinkertons that see you and come to investigate. Anything but this kind of bullshit.

Been playing a silly team in Into the Breach. I was dissatisfied with the Steel Judoka is supposedly themed around getting the Vek to hit each other but its members aren't great at accomplishing that, so I put together a team that has the signature Vek Hormones but also includes two of the best repositioning mechs. So, Grav Mech, Hook Mech, and Swap Mech. Problem? I have absolutely no weapons that inflict damage.

Here's this team squeaking in a win on an objective to kill 7 Vek:

https://imgur.com/gallery/EFRe87E

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    Tried out the Dying Light Free Weekend.

This is what Dead Island should have fucking been.
    I've got it, and played a couple of hours. I don't like it. It grates somehow.

I didn't like the first few hours of Dying Light, but for me it improved a lot once I'd got a bunch of combat and movement upgrades. Not saying it'd be like that for you, SubJeff, but it might be worth sticking with it for a bit. Also, if you can find a coop partner who's roughly at the same level, it's very enjoyable playing with others.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast