TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318232833 ... LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

I'm currently replaying Assassin's Creed III out of morbid curiosity. No, to be fair, it's interesting to play it at this point in time, for various reasons: for one thing, it starts doing a lot of things that are picked up again and refined in the last two instalments, for another, I've always thought that there's great potential in Assassin's Creed games set during an age of revolution, in particular if the different sides of the revolution don't map too easily onto Assassins and Templars. Both AC3 and Unity were the most interesting when they didn't default to a simple Assassins=Good, Templars=Bad setup, and they both had a handful of characters that embodied this effectively.

At the same time, bloat is at its worst in this game, combined with really bad systemic design. Stealth is mediocre at best, broken at worst. The world looks surprisingly good, but it's often awkward to navigate it due to animations and collisions between the characters and the environment. Even when everything works in a mission, they're still not interesting or even just fun on a visceral level. When the game is at its best, it's still extremely disappointing, because then you see how short it falls of its potential. I'm not sure I'll finish it - I've been playing it in the evenings for about two weeks and I haven't even got to the game's main protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Dude, that's Far Cry 4. I was a little confused when you started praising the characterisation for FC5, which is... well, something other than good.
    ooops yes you are right, edited my post!

What was so bad about FC5? I heard it wasn't as good but haven't played. FC4 is actually the first FC I played since 1

Level 10,000 achieved
    The characterisation wasn't very good, at least when it came to the main villains they were pretty broad. There were some good characters tho, Hurk was actually a really fun character in FC5. Overall I think Ubisoft does better with creating interesting characters than telling good stories.

Gameplaywise FC5 was great tho. The addition of planes and the re-introduction of the buddy-system elevates it to the best in the series, imo.

Oh oh, and the soundtrack? Especially these alternative, stripped-down versions of those creepy cult songs are probably my favourite videogame soundtrack ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    Isn't that typical for most RPGs though? This time the giant rats have just been replaced by the town drunkard.
    Not Bethesda style RPGs.

I'm currently replaying Assassin's Creed III out of morbid curiosity. No, to be fair, it's interesting to play it at this point in time, for various reasons: for one thing, it starts doing a lot of things that are picked up again and refined in the last two instalments, for another, I've always thought that there's great potential in Assassin's Creed games set during an age of revolution, in particular if the different sides of the revolution don't map too easily onto Assassins and Templars. Both AC3 and Unity were the most interesting when they didn't default to a simple Assassins=Good, Templars=Bad setup, and they both had a handful of characters that embodied this effectively.
    Agree on that one. If you play (or read about) the spinoff game to AC3 that I forget the title of, there are events in that game that give Kenway perfectly good reason why he thinks the way he does and that the Assassin ideology to him is one that would seem recklesssly destructive.

Two aspects of the series I wish they'd done more with was keeping the intense historical focus that the first game had with a lot of details being correct right down to the assassination targets all being people who died in the year the game was set. It tends to lose some of that magic later on as the game plots take on more fantastical story arcs and more "mary sue/stu" type protagonists. They also could have done a lot more with the whole Annunaki related aspects of the plot than they currently did. The old games tap into aspects of Zachariah Stitchen's writings that (wonky though they may be) make for great game material.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 7th Mar 2020 at 20:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Not Bethesda style RPGs.
    Post-morrowind, sure, but remember the days of swinging your sword and missing almost every hit because your stats were too low? I don't miss those days.

I played The Walking Dead Season 1. It was a coincidence that I chose this game, but it's oddly fitting to play a post-apocalyptic game in these days of coronavirus troubles and fears. Just like Steven Soderbergh's movie Contagion is doing great on iTunes right now.

Anyway, I liked it, and I also played the 400 Days DLC, a series of amusing vignettes. But what I heard is that the later seasons of Walking Dead don't reach the standard set by the first season. My question: is season 2 worth my time and money or is the drop in quality too severe for it to be worth my while?

GOG/chestnuts & the future

Currently Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Quake 3 Arena and Master of Magic. Have a Vive rig. Want to play Alyx very much.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    But what I heard is that the later seasons of Walking Dead don't reach the standard set by the first season. My question: is season 2 worth my time and money or is the drop in quality too severe for it to be worth my while?
    Maybe it's not as good as S1, but I still liked S2. Never played the rest of them tho.

Chakat sex pillow
    There's no maybe about it. It's not as good as S1 simply because it loses the emotional coherence S1's father-daughter relationship built, then yanks Clem along its plotlines like a marionette. I wasn't impressed with the writing, but S1 is clearly a high bar, so keeping that in mind S2 is just about okay. S3 is a pretty tedious retread.

I was going to play some shorter games, but on PC I'm mostly juggling Red Dead Redemption 2 and Black Mesa right now. The situation being what it is, I don't feel like a smaller, quieter game.

Started with Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena yesterday, with intention to play it through. Already played through Escape from Butcher Bay 3 times now, I think (one my all-time favs that game), but, never played through Dark Athena until now.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I was going to play some shorter games, but on PC I'm mostly juggling Red Dead Redemption 2 and Black Mesa right now. The situation being what it is, I don't feel like a smaller, quieter game.
    I'm set on getting all the boxes in Crash Bandicoot. Between it, Fire Emblem, and a shit ton of movies, I should be occupied for at least a month.

Actually, I might need to take more time off. This whole sitting around the house thing is actually kinda nice.

Fellow GenGamers - Has anyone played both Far Cry 5 and Far Cry New Dawn? Just wondering which is the better game, if you had to pick only one to play without ever playing the other. I'm guessing some of the beef with FCND is that is just repeats a lot of the same world, and I want to discard that type of criticism in this particular case. Both are on sale right now, and I'm itching to try the better one with my newly installed gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Fellow GenGamers - Has anyone played both Far Cry 5 and Far Cry New Dawn? Just wondering which is the better game, if you had to pick only one to play without ever playing the other. I'm guessing some of the beef with FCND is that is just repeats a lot of the same world, and I want to discard that type of criticism in this particular case. Both are on sale right now, and I'm itching to try the better one with my newly installed gpu.
    Skipped 5 myself, but New Dawn was a chore from start to ridiculous finish.

Shovel Knight is great. They cheat just enough so that it matches your nostalgia goggles better, but still make it feel like the game might have been possible on the NES. Even if the Dark Souls checkpoint system and being able to destroy your checkpoints for higher stakes doesn't really feel like anything from the NES era, the iconography and the sounds feel authentic enough for your mind to be able to ignore that.
    Last edited by Starker; 17th Mar 2020 at 01:30.

I pogo'ed off Shovel Knight pretty much completely. I might try it again in a year or so, but after hearing everyone raving about it, I was surprised by how little it did for me. Perhaps part of it is that back in the NES era I was firmly Camp Commodore, and the look and feel of those games (C-64, later Amiga) was a different one.

Part of me thinks this might be the best time to play Pathologic. Part of me thinks it might be the worst time to play Pathologic.

Moderator and Priest
    I was a total Nintendo fan during the heyday of the NES, played the Mega Man games, and Duck Tales, the two games that are probably the most direct influences on Shovel Knight.

Overall, I'd say I liked the game, but I didn't absolutely love it. Maybe I played it at the wrong time, or I just wasn't in the mood for an 8-bit style action game, but whatever the reason, I ended up thinking it was just pretty okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Part of me thinks this might be the best time to play Pathologic. Part of me thinks it might be the worst time to play Pathologic.
    Hey, I watched The Stand while sick with the flu once. Didn't mess me up too bad.

I played Atari 2600 for a very brief while, then NES, then SNES with a bit of Mega Drive on the side, then PS2, then I stopped playing on consoles. But NES games have this specific look and feel and sound to them that Shovel Knight instantly brings me back to, "Oh, that's DuckTales, that's Castlevania, that's Super Mario World."

SNES also has this a little bit, but the games are all over the place, really. And PS games I mostly associate with janky 3D that makes you a little bit sick just to look at it. Some of the best games, but those terrible jagged polygons don't really make for any fond feelings. The huge contrast of going straight from beautiful 2D art to ugly 3D probably didn't help any.

At the time (i.e. NES era) especially, I'd say that you could mostly look at a screenshot and see whether it's a console game or a computer game, and people more familiar with the different brands could probably tell what console any particular game was on. The aesthetics were different, but game design was also different. You make different games designing for joystick and/or keyboard vs. designing for a console controller. I couldn't say exactly what it is - perhaps it's partly that many of the big console games at the time were made in Japan, so you'd have different cultural factors playing into this? Or did America also develop a lot of console games?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I got a month of EA Access on PS4, so over the past couple days I played through...

Sea of Solitude

One of these Rime/Bound esque things which exists somewhere between walking simulator and 3rd person platformer. It tells the story of a depressed young girl who is working through some shit. The storytelling is less abstract and more straightforward than in most games of this type, which I appreciated. The visuals are great, the character animation is wonky, and the gameplay is bland. You're really playing this for the story though, and it was quite good and affecting.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 Single Player

I think a lot of people like me, who don't give a shit about multiplayer games, might've missed that there was a whole singleplayer Star Wars campaign included in this when it came out a few years back. And it's not a bad one either! Some annoying checkpointing aside the gameplay is tight and good. It's mostly shooting, but you also have the option to stealth some parts, and there's quite a few flying sections too. The story follows the leader of the Imperial "Inferno Squad", starting at the end of ROTJ and ending with The Battle of Jakku. Interspliced into this are some levels where you play as more recognizable characters(Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, Kylo). The story was pretty good, except when it switched to the other characters, as those sections often felt a bit shoe-horned in. Overall, yeah, a good Star Wars game! There's also a small follow-up campaign that I haven't gotten into yet.

Not sure what else is worth playing in this EA Access thingy. I might check out Fe and maybe one of the newer Needs For Speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I think a lot of people like me, who don't give a shit about multiplayer games...
    This prompts an Arma-tinged Awwww from me...

"Sad... man... at... six o'clock!"

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh, come on. I meant specifically PvP-focused stuff like the Battlefields, CoDs, Overwatches, Fortnites, etc. I do like online co-op games.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Played through the SW Battlefront 2 follow-up campaign Resurrection in one sitting aaaaaand, man, it was good. It's much shorter then the main campaign but also really tight and well paced. Great storytelling and very satisfying gameplay.

I should really play the Battlefont single-player campaign too. At the very least those guys have the aesthetics of Star Wars down pat. Even if it's not the greatest shooter in the world, it'll be nice eye (and ear) candy.

Edit: Also, doing the silly Assassin's Creed 3 collectathons is a surprisingly effective distraction right now. I develop this weird tunnel vision, in which Coronavirus doesn't exist, only feathers, almanac pages, trinkets, synchronisation points etc.
    Last edited by Thirith; 19th Mar 2020 at 04:14.

Going to be hopefully be playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons tomorrow if with all that's going on doesn't affect the order arrival.

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318232833 ... LastLast