TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

Thing What Kicks
    See, I reckon if they got rid of the whole RPG silliness, the game would be a LOT more enjoyable, and much better for co-op. But I would also say the same for Destiny / The Division / etc.

I'm torn on this. With Dying Light I enjoyed learning new skills, but I first had to reach a certain level and have a number of skills to make locomotion and combat enjoyable rather than clunky. At their best, the skills represented a wider, more varied set of tools to deal with the world of the game and the obstacles in it. However, once I got to the point where combat pretty much turned into superhero silliness my enjoyment pretty much stopped, and the grappling hook also kinda ruined my enjoyment of getting around. I like well-done parkour in games, I like its physicality. The grappling hook replaces much of this.

What I definitely don't enjoy is RPG The Division-style, where for the most part skills are all about combat and the combat itself is mediocre at best, and where the toolset pretty much consists of minor variations on a handful of types: DPS, area damage, damage types, that sort of thing. I hate RPG mechanics that are all about higher HP counts, resistances and bullet sponges. There was little of interest to me in The Division's combat and skill trees, it was mainly about being prepared to tackle enemies with more hitpoints that had to be hit with bigger and badder guns.

I started playing the latest Epic freebie, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, mostly because I haven't played an AC game for years and I found the theme interesting. Had some mysterious technical problems at first, but eventually got the game running. It took me a while to get used to the "I didn't intend to jump there or do that, but I guess that'll do" control scheme again, but I'm starting to get the hang of it a bit now. Moving around can still be very annoying at times though, some rooftop chase scenes especially where you can't afford to lose too much time can be quite infuriating.

I like AC: Syndicate though. Yeah, it's grindy and it's basically still the same game that AC has always been, but the city is very beautiful and actually feels like a living city, and there are a lot of things to do. Perhaps too many things to do for a completionist like me. The skill points system and crafting are fairly basic but nice little additions. Having two protagonists makes it possible to switch between stealthy and non-stealthy playing styles whenever I like, and that's quite nice. The zipline thing makes me feel like the Spiderman, sometimes it works from crazy distances and sometimes it doesn't seem to work at all. Londoners seem very stupid; normally they don't seem to understand (or care?) what's going on even when I murder people in front of them - I guess this sort of a game needs some of that stupidity to be any fun, but I think the AI is a bit too stupid.

The main story doesn't really seem to be going anywhere at the moment, and even though the side quests are entertaining enough for now, I hope that things get more interesting some time soon. Still glad that I tried this!

The DLC is pretty good if you get to that side of it.

I'll probably be all AC'd out for the next two years once I'm done with the main story, but I'll keep that in mind!

I've been simultaneously playing Doom 2016 and replaying Doom 2. Kind of an interesting experiment. Doom2 is as fun as it has always been, not much debating that. It's been great replaying all these levels that I haven't played for probably 10 years or so. Not sure if I have the nostalgia glasses on too tight or not, but D2 seems like more pure gaming fun that most of modern games I've tried recently.

But Doom 2016 - I know a lot of folks here have praised it, and it's not bad, but it just doesn't seem...great. The visuals are pretty, but the gameplay, it all seems so staged. It's a constant recycle of set piece, kill 30 bad guys, quiet area, then repeat. Plus, you have the helper government guy who communicates with you remotely and guides you through the game. Very cliched, so far at least. I plan to finish it, but in some way its a slog at the moment. Maybe it will get better. It also just doesn't seem to have the same punch (for lack of a better word) that the original games had. In one area near the beginning, I died 5 times in a row, partially because I didn't even realize I was been being hit by the enemy. Weapons just don't seem as powerful as in the originals. It's gory as hell, of course, but you don' really feel it. If that makes sense.

At this pace, I'm going to be way more excited for Doom 64 than Doom Eternal when they come out later this month, but we'll see.

I got Kingdom Come for free and ahve done about 90 minutes or so of it.

It's very good at least this far away from the launch bugs. I do see why it was kind of divisive: it's a very euro-centric game, that is trying hard to convey a "life is hard" type mood through gameplay mechanics and difficult combat. At the start of the game you can barely beat up the town drunk and taking on even a single fully capable combatant is beyond your abilities.

Isn't that typical for most RPGs though? This time the giant rats have just been replaced by the town drunkard.

Finished off Y's 8 - Lacrimosa of Dana. Overall this was the best game in series (which has been going since the late 80's). Quite a lot of content, fun side content, some great character development (which I've not seen in a Y's game before), great music and a pretty good story. Really enjoyed this one.

Then moved onto a replay of Shadowrun on the SNES:

Played through the game more times than I can remember. Absolutely love it. This game was my first experience with cyberpunk and started off a lifelong love of the genre.

I've been playing Far Cry 4 and it keeps surprising me in how great it is.

Lots of fun gameplay aside, the characterization is fantastic. While the two main leaders (Sabal and Amita) are eh, every other character is fantastic. Getting little sound-bites from the main villain, Pagan Min, is just a treat every time. He just went on an angry rant about the candles - who goes around in a worn torn nation every morning to light all those fucking candles? So he outlawed candles, punishable by death. Probably one of the best game writing I've ever seen.

Then there's Willis, charricature of a gung-ho-CIA-American. You get in his plane and start yelling at him for screwing you over, and the first thing he says is: "What you forget you're American? Americans knock"

There's also a mission later on inside a chemical compound where you start hallucinating. It turns into a sequence of shooting dark outlines who explode into bursts of Holi colors, as punjab music plays in the background. Complete with messed up UI, false objectives and some trippy gameplay effects.

Also, the honey badger quest.

The game is just so chockful of those little moments that stand out on top of very solid gameplay as well. Just a very polished and enjoyable experience.
    Last edited by Yakoob; 6th Mar 2020 at 13:26.

Chakat sex pillow
    Dude, that's Far Cry 4. I was a little confused when you started praising the characterisation for FC5, which is... well, something other than good.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Played through the game more times than I can remember. Absolutely love it. This game was my first experience with cyberpunk and started off a lifelong love of the genre.
    You know, there's another game made by Beam Software, Nightshade for the NES, that's a lot like Shadowrun in a lot of ways. Check it out. You might like it.

Thanks. Will look into it .

I'm currently replaying Assassin's Creed III out of morbid curiosity. No, to be fair, it's interesting to play it at this point in time, for various reasons: for one thing, it starts doing a lot of things that are picked up again and refined in the last two instalments, for another, I've always thought that there's great potential in Assassin's Creed games set during an age of revolution, in particular if the different sides of the revolution don't map too easily onto Assassins and Templars. Both AC3 and Unity were the most interesting when they didn't default to a simple Assassins=Good, Templars=Bad setup, and they both had a handful of characters that embodied this effectively.

At the same time, bloat is at its worst in this game, combined with really bad systemic design. Stealth is mediocre at best, broken at worst. The world looks surprisingly good, but it's often awkward to navigate it due to animations and collisions between the characters and the environment. Even when everything works in a mission, they're still not interesting or even just fun on a visceral level. When the game is at its best, it's still extremely disappointing, because then you see how short it falls of its potential. I'm not sure I'll finish it - I've been playing it in the evenings for about two weeks and I haven't even got to the game's main protagonist.

What I enjoyed most in AC3 was:

* The setting. I can't think of many other games that are set during the British invasion of America. That's all done really well. Especially as it's told from the Indian perspective.
    * Finally being able to climb and jump between trees
    * The ship combat. Black Flag obviously was far superior, but Connor just sounds more awesome the way he yells when you unleash hell on an opposing ship.
    * Hunting - This was the AC game to have the hunting of animals in it. Quite enjoyed those bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Dude, that's Far Cry 4. I was a little confused when you started praising the characterisation for FC5, which is... well, something other than good.
    ooops yes you are right, edited my post!

What was so bad about FC5? I heard it wasn't as good but haven't played. FC4 is actually the first FC I played since 1

Level 10,000 achieved
    The characterisation wasn't very good, at least when it came to the main villains they were pretty broad. There were some good characters tho, Hurk was actually a really fun character in FC5. Overall I think Ubisoft does better with creating interesting characters than telling good stories.

Gameplaywise FC5 was great tho. The addition of planes and the re-introduction of the buddy-system elevates it to the best in the series, imo.

Oh oh, and the soundtrack? Especially these alternative, stripped-down versions of those creepy cult songs are probably my favourite videogame soundtrack ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    Isn't that typical for most RPGs though? This time the giant rats have just been replaced by the town drunkard.
    Not Bethesda style RPGs.

I'm currently replaying Assassin's Creed III out of morbid curiosity. No, to be fair, it's interesting to play it at this point in time, for various reasons: for one thing, it starts doing a lot of things that are picked up again and refined in the last two instalments, for another, I've always thought that there's great potential in Assassin's Creed games set during an age of revolution, in particular if the different sides of the revolution don't map too easily onto Assassins and Templars. Both AC3 and Unity were the most interesting when they didn't default to a simple Assassins=Good, Templars=Bad setup, and they both had a handful of characters that embodied this effectively.
    Agree on that one. If you play (or read about) the spinoff game to AC3 that I forget the title of, there are events in that game that give Kenway perfectly good reason why he thinks the way he does and that the Assassin ideology to him is one that would seem recklesssly destructive.

Two aspects of the series I wish they'd done more with was keeping the intense historical focus that the first game had with a lot of details being correct right down to the assassination targets all being people who died in the year the game was set. It tends to lose some of that magic later on as the game plots take on more fantastical story arcs and more "mary sue/stu" type protagonists. They also could have done a lot more with the whole Annunaki related aspects of the plot than they currently did. The old games tap into aspects of Zachariah Stitchen's writings that (wonky though they may be) make for great game material.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 7th Mar 2020 at 19:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Not Bethesda style RPGs.
    Post-morrowind, sure, but remember the days of swinging your sword and missing almost every hit because your stats were too low? I don't miss those days.

I played The Walking Dead Season 1. It was a coincidence that I chose this game, but it's oddly fitting to play a post-apocalyptic game in these days of coronavirus troubles and fears. Just like Steven Soderbergh's movie Contagion is doing great on iTunes right now.

Anyway, I liked it, and I also played the 400 Days DLC, a series of amusing vignettes. But what I heard is that the later seasons of Walking Dead don't reach the standard set by the first season. My question: is season 2 worth my time and money or is the drop in quality too severe for it to be worth my while?

GOG/chestnuts & the future

Currently Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Quake 3 Arena and Master of Magic. Have a Vive rig. Want to play Alyx very much.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    But what I heard is that the later seasons of Walking Dead don't reach the standard set by the first season. My question: is season 2 worth my time and money or is the drop in quality too severe for it to be worth my while?
    Maybe it's not as good as S1, but I still liked S2. Never played the rest of them tho.

Chakat sex pillow
    There's no maybe about it. It's not as good as S1 simply because it loses the emotional coherence S1's father-daughter relationship built, then yanks Clem along its plotlines like a marionette. I wasn't impressed with the writing, but S1 is clearly a high bar, so keeping that in mind S2 is just about okay. S3 is a pretty tedious retread.

I was going to play some shorter games, but on PC I'm mostly juggling Red Dead Redemption 2 and Black Mesa right now. The situation being what it is, I don't feel like a smaller, quieter game.

Started with Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena yesterday, with intention to play it through. Already played through Escape from Butcher Bay 3 times now, I think (one my all-time favs that game), but, never played through Dark Athena until now.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast