TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Heretic 2 on Win7 x64?

Heretic 2 on Win7 x64?

Has anyone managed to install Heretic 2 on a 64 bit version of Windows? I followed the steps here, but nothing happens.

Apparently there's some kind of glitch with x64 systems and this game. For some odd reason, it's not on Steam or GOG (Heretic 1 and both Hexens are, go figure), otherwise I would have gladly forked out a couple bucks for it.

I have the CD version from way back, used to work fine in Windows XP. I tried running as administrator, compatibility modes, etc. to no avail

Any suggestions?

Zombified
    I'd try to set the game up on a compatible machine (or VM), get rid of any cd or resource dependencies, move the install to the target machine, and see how things go.

I remember the game being a pita even on xp, requiring either setup resets upon each run, or making some files read only or some other similar shenanigans, but that was a very long time ago.

also, the game is in some sort of legal hell, that's why you can't buy it anywhere. go poke NightDive on Discord?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    I remember the game being a pita even on xp, requiring either setup resets upon each run, or making some files read only or some other similar shenanigans, but that was a very long time ago.
    It really is. Here's a doozie. I finally managed to install it on my pc but under safe mode, yet somehow it installed fine on my laptop in normal mode (both have the same version of Windows). Go figure.

Now, both crash if I select a new game, but if I load the one savegame that's there (the entrance in level 1), it works, but half the sounds are absent.

I think this game might be cursed....

Zombified
    plagued would be more fitting.

Hahaha indeed

Your best bet is definitely a VM with 3D support enabled if you can't use an actual compatible physical machine