TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SS3 in trouble? :(

It really depends on the vision that the developers have of the game, doesn't it?

Chakat sex pillow
    The vision seemed like a pretty decently sized AA/AAA game from the concept art and the trailer. You can't make an immersive sim that promises to be that big with current-day graphics with a few million in kickstarter money; and in any case, even if they did want to go crowdfunding, Underworld: Ascendant pretty much decimated the chances of fan investment there.

True, but, maybe better than to bury the idea of a new System Shock completely.

If I think about it, that might be better anyway, if noone wants it. Shame, but, it's not as if I'm not used to it, with Dishonored, Thief, and basically more or less any franchise which is interesting for me practially dead anyway.

Hm...that's too bad. I was looking forward to see any progression, but didn't expect bad news instead. There are, however, some nice recommendations of games in this thread that have a similar game-play, so, I appreciate that. I haven't played Prey yet.

Definitely do so, I really think it's a great game, and very SS-ish, in my opinion.

Now, what a shame that it sold so badly that they probably will never do a Prey 2. Kids these days...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, maybe if Night Dive's System Shock remake turns out good they can take up the mantle of making SS3 next? Their SS1 remake is a relatively low-budget affair, made of the $1.3M they got from Kickstarter plus whatever they've managed to scrape up on the side.

edit: or if noone else wants to do it, I will make SS3. Although I will be renaming it Stilt Shock 3 and there might be some creative tweaks to the classic SS formula.
    Last edited by henke; 15th Apr 2020 at 03:03.

Night Dive just needs a kick up the bum, to tell backers exactly the state of development and ditch the secrecy.

ZylonBane
    Eh? There are regular updates on the Kickstarter page.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    ...Stilt Shock 3...
    It's Kickstarter time, bay bee!

I was kind of hoping they would continue the story where we left off in SS2. The escape pod was heading back, if I remember right? The screenshots on their site gave me a Doom vibe for some reason. I was looking forward to something similar to SS2, with well lit areas as well as dark ones. But then again, who knows how the rest looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by theabyss View Post
    I was kind of hoping they would continue the story where we left off in SS2.
    I don't think it ended in a good place for a sequel. What, it's going to take place with the same characters in the same setting? Or Shodan uses reality-warping powers to create a new setting (and protagonist? and victims?) out of her imagination? (Didn't seem very imaginative at the end of SS2, lol.)

It would be really interesting to see a studio take New Dark, modestly update it and make a new System Shock or Thief game with it. They don't have to be AAA games, or low budget titles using Unity. If they truly want to dip back into that style of gaming, just embrace what made them work. I think a huge part of the charm of those games was the art style, which was partly influenced by the limitations.

Ion Fury is a fun example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWy6gTry6g

Wrath as well, which uses the Quake1 engine (originally released two years before Thief/Old Dark), and it looks great:

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Wrath as well, which uses the Quake1 engine (originally released two years before Thief/Old Dark), and it looks great:

That looks really cool too. You can't make a faithful Thief game as a AAA property, there is just too much money involved and you have to lose so much of what made Thief the game it was, that you might as well just make a completely new game.

The time would be perfect to assemble a retro styled Thief game using New Dark with some slight updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    I don't think it ended in a good place for a sequel. What, it's going to take place with the same characters in the same setting? Or Shodan uses reality-warping powers to create a new setting (and protagonist? and victims?) out of her imagination? (Didn't seem very imaginative at the end of SS2, lol.)
    Yeah, you might be right now that I think about it. And her being in human form might not be as intriguing. Still, would have been interesting to extend the battlefield to earth somehow with a resurrected Many infecting a whole city.

I like it. Maybe Shodan hides away, and tries to create a new and "better" Many using leftover annelid worms

You could easily continue where SS2 left off with the final cutscene. For example... Tommy wakes up and Rebecca is okay and it was just a bad dream he was having. TriOp recovers Von Braun and SHODAN and tries to experiment with SHODAN in a black site somewhere in the Solar System. SS3 ensues.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    You could easily continue where SS2 left off with the final cutscene. For example... Tommy wakes up and Rebecca is okay and it was just a bad dream he was having.
    Poe's Law: Was that supposed to be sarcasm?

Nope, I meant it. The final cutscene could have been just a nightmare Tommy was having and Rebecca didn't really turn into SHODAN. Makes far more sense than SHODAN being able to take over people's biological bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Eh? There are regular updates on the Kickstarter page.
    Regular - Yes
    Detailed - No

To be more specific, what I mean is that sure we get monthly updates. But it will only be like "Hey guys, here's some concepts for a robot" or "Here's an animation" or "Here's a new barrel".

Where as what you normally get from a KS is:

"Hey guys. Here is the current state of the game". Then they go usually into:

* Exactly where things are at
    * How many levels done
    * Music / Sound
    * Game engine development / Programming of features
    * Current implementation of stretch goal features
    * Estimated ETA on completion

Note not all of the above in an update, but a few of the above generally.

So with that in mind. We're getting bugger all info as to what's going on. How are the audio logs going? music? Weapons? We don't know.

And to give a comparison. I got this KS update from Space Haven recently:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2800937

And then here is the last System Shock update:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2786688
    Last edited by icemann; 16th Apr 2020 at 23:59.

You could easily continue where SS2 left off with the final cutscene. For example... Tommy wakes up and Rebecca is okay and it was just a bad dream he was having.
    Poe's Law: Was that supposed to be sarcasm?
    Nope, I meant it.
    ...Starker... It's not continuing where SS2 left off if you're retconning where SS2 left off.

My System Shock UGC for Shadowrun, picks up where the final cutscene ends. Shodan uses FTL to move the escape pod to an alternate universe and crashes to Earth. Game starts 15 years later.

...Starker... It's not continuing where SS2 left off if you're retconning where SS2 left off.
    Um, why? Everything that happened in SS2 still happened. SHODAN was defeated and Rebecca and Tommy return to Von Braun. Just that very last bit of the last scene will be revealed to have been a dream. Sure, if you consider the last seconds of that clip to be integral to what SS2 was all about, you could call it retconning, but I don't personally think it's that big of a detail in the bigger scheme of things and could easily be reinterpreted.

In fact, it would be a direct continuation -- you could play the very same clip at the start of SS3 and then have Tommy wake up.

Or you could have the whole thing be an effect of SHODAN changing reality that gets reversed when SHODAN is defeated. This is not retconning, it's just explaining what happened.
    Last edited by Starker; 17th Apr 2020 at 05:18.

You could easily continue where SS2 left off with the final cutscene. For example... Tommy wakes up and Rebecca is okay and it was just a bad dream he was having. TriOp recovers Von Braun and SHODAN and tries to experiment with SHODAN in a black site somewhere in the Solar System. SS3 ensues.
    Or the Escape pod returns to the Von Braun and the game continues the moment you are assigned to open the pod, finding two dead bodies in there. The minute the pod docked the Von Braun it was doomed because Shodan just used the connecting circuits to gain control and the fun begins again.

This is not retconning...
    Yes, it is, and it's one the worst kinds, too. Stop. Digging.

Um, why?
    Because you're changing what previously happened. Do you just not know what retroactive continuity means?

...I don't personally think it's that big of a detail in the bigger scheme of things...
    You claimed this was continuing where SS2 left off, ergo the place where it left off is directly relevant.

Don't get me wrong, obviously I "agree" insofar as I think that not following directly on from SS2's ending is the right choice, but that's what your suggestion is - it's not following the ending, it's contradicting and retconning the ending, and that's just a fact. You could seriously just have TriOp experimenting with Shodan on a black site somewhere, as you suggested, without ever fully explaining what happened immediately after SS2, and that would be hands-down better than your full suggestion.

P.S.: Shodan's appearance follows immediately after Tommy gets off the comm with goggles and turning the escape pod back to the Von Braun, implying that if the one is a dream, then so is the other. Makes. No. Sense.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 17th Apr 2020 at 10:51.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast