TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SS3 in trouble? :(

Sadly the big fuck up on Underworld Ascendant appear to have had a knock on effect.
    Last edited by icemann; 9th Feb 2020 at 11:05.

It's kind of old news unfortunately. I can't find the thread where it was discussed recently, but it doesn't seem to have really upset (or perhaps surprised?) the local fanbase all that much. From my perspective, while I'm sad to hear of its likely demise, I'm happy enough leaving this series as a treasured memory rather than seeing them release another train wreck. Yes, I know it's technically another team with a different publisher and all that, but so were the two Ion Storm studios (well ok, not the publisher), and we all know how their games turned out.

Starbreeze pulling the rug out probably meant they couldn't afford to pay the team and without a team there's no game. So yeah, no SS3.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Yes, I know it's technically another team with a different publisher and all that, but so were the two Ion Storm studios (well ok, not the publisher), and we all know how their games turned out.
    Um... I quite liked Anachronox, actually. And Deus Ex was not bad either.

Oh yes, I just ignored their prior games :O, forgetting that they made them. For some reason I've remembered their final two games (invisible war and deadly shadows, which were both disappointments; for me at least) as their only effort, attributing Deus Ex and Anachronox to some other unnamed studio. Anyway, I'll leave my original post as is, taking some grim comfort in the fact that there aren't many people left who will read it anyway.

I so need to go back and play through Deadly Shadows to the end. Quite liked that game, even though the gameplay wasn't perfect.

Zombified
    funnily enough, I'd be quite happy with SS3 ending up like TDS in a way - not the pinnacle of the series by any stretch of the imagination, but a decent game nevertheless, and wraps the series up nicely.

hoping the current problems will lead to the awful concept of SS3 being an in-between-quel getting dropped. we need to tie everything up, not create more loose ends.

Honestly, while I'm a big fan of both System Shock games, I've always hated the way the second game ended. I found that ending utterly cheesy. I'm happy to play a well-made, well-written System Shock-like game, but for me it doesn't have to be a sequel, prequel or otherwise. There isn't anything specifically System Shock I'd want out of a third game in the series that I didn't already get from Prey.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Honestly, while I'm a big fan of both System Shock games, I've always hated the way the second game ended. I found that ending utterly cheesy. I'm happy to play a well-made, well-written System Shock-like game, but for me it doesn't have to be a sequel, prequel or otherwise. There isn't anything specifically System Shock I'd want out of a third game in the series that I didn't already get from Prey.
    It's better that the game is cancelled then yet another gaming legacy be potentially shat upon. Given Current Year they may've hired some hack who'd do something utterly cringy like turn Shodan into an ham-fisted analogy of Trump or Boris Johnson.

(It's a very real possibility. We've already seen that with Shao Kahn in Mortal Kombat 11 and Kleon in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.)

Make Citadel Station Great Again!

OT: "It's not a problem", they said. "It's a completely different team!" they said.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 11th Feb 2020 at 09:08.

Honestly, while I'm a big fan of both System Shock games, I've always hated the way the second game ended.
    Well I dunno. Shodan using the FTL to reshape "reality" in her image, I quite liked, and it led to some damn fine fan fiction (The Darkseed Chronicles). Besides the "Nah" and shooting Shodan, I was fine with it. I'd love to see what happened from there.

At least, they didn't do an Event Horizon and have the use of the FTL end them up stuck in a hell dimension .

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    end them up stuck in a hell dimension .
    We already have Doom Eternal coming out soon

Aw, drat! I guess the rumors are confirmed.

To be honest though, SS3 never received the hype or the grass roots support it deserved based on its pedigree and reputation of the development team. When the core fan base for your game is at best cautiously optimistic, but mostly reserving judgment and a bit cynical, it's easy for a publisher to decide it's not worth it.

I'm not a hardcore System Shock fan, so YMMV, but other than Spector's involvement I didn't see anything that gave me cause for cautious optimism at the very best, and I've seen a fair number of design legends screw up in later years. Add to that the Underworld Ascendant situation and I had little hope for the project. I would still have liked to see something worthwhile coming out of this, but I was far from convinced that there was a good chance of this happening.

What I meant was even the most excited fans were still cautious with their hopes.

I'm a long time fan. SS2 is my #2 all time favorite game, and SS1 is top 10. I would love another Shock game, as Bioshock didn't really do it for me. So I was excited when SS3 was announced, but I figured the odds were in favor of disappointment.

Anyway, there's a bit of post-mortem rumor here:

https://www.techspot.com/news/83978-...3-team-no.html

There's nothing too surprising. Ambitions and fan expectations exceeded their budget constraints, especially after Starbreeze had to bail out. Finishing the project would have required finding a new publisher, and they weren't able to find one. My big takeaway is that if Warren Spector can't successfully shop SS3 in a good economy then there's little hope of ever seeing a sequel.

I'm happy to play a well-made, well-written System Shock-like game, but for me it doesn't have to be a sequel, prequel or otherwise. There isn't anything specifically System Shock I'd want out of a third game in the series that I didn't already get from Prey.
    Arkane delivered a master class in game design with Prey. Sure enough, they leaned upon the shoulders of giants for their inspiration (as all of their games have to varying extents), but there was such a masterful execution in many areas that it would be difficult to not to reference this as a benchmark against any other shock-like.

As I've stated before, I wish Otherside would have devoted themselves to a new IP rather than trying to resurrect an old franchise that they have long since moved on from.

I still haven't finished playing Prey. I only just started it over the holidays when I had some time off, and I'm having a hard time forcing myself to pick it up again. The look, feel, and vibe is much more Bioshock than System Shock, and it's not really scratching my Shock itch at all.

SShock2.com

That's strange. Did you play long enough, or only just started? Because it definitely gave me a System Shock vibe.

The visual aesthetic is more Bioshock, for sure, but the actual gameplay mechanics are SS through and through.

The Bioshock angle is dependent on how you play it. I've played Prey through twice, and both times played more SS2 style with next to no using of the psi abilities and more just going stealth + melee the majority of the time.

And before someone says "Erm that's not SS2 style", well it is for me.

I'm around 15 or 20 hours in.

The visuals are definitely not helping me get into the game. The mix of architecture styles seems weird for a space station and not very cyberpunk. The visual style of the UI isn't very cyberpunky either. And the game relies a lot on jump scares to build tension. I will commend them for making resources scarce, but I'm already tired of hoarding and crafting.

Chakat sex pillow
    Not sure if Prey is meant to be a hard cyberpunk game to begin with. If you're looking at it from the aesthetics it's more decopunk than anything, and while I will agree it's kind of odd (brutalist construction and huge glass windows in a space station? what?) it's clearly in the traditional evocation of an im-sim environment meant to put you at a kind of unease.

Like what everyone else is saying though, mechanically it's the closest thing to SS2 there is, along with a few Arkane interpretations of them. It's pretty solid from that design perspective.

SS2 isn't that much cyberpunk either when you compare it to SS1.

Yeah, I'd also say that there's at least as much of a difference between System Shock and System Shock 2 as there is between the latter and Prey, mechanically and aesthetically. SS2 was quite the change from the first game.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast