TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Scarlet Cascabel (Updated to Version 2 - Feb 10, 2020)

Congrats on the update! Finished both missions on Normal. Found all the Chess pieces in the 2nd one too. Gonna have to go back and take some screenshots of all the lovely vistas.

I do have one question though: Is there any way into the chapel bell tower in Mission 1? Those open windows up top are taunting me.

EDIT: Found it. No wonder the novice didn't want to stay there haha
    Last edited by irg; 14th Feb 2020 at 19:00.

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    Well done Pukey Brunster and Tannar. I’m playing Mission 1 on normal difficulty and think it’s excellent and fiendishly constructed. After each minor achievement, with hindsight I think Ah! The clues were there all along. Lots of imaginative stuff, some which I no doubt missed in last year’s version when I was just trying to get to the other end so I'm not sure which are new additions. This time I did more and a couple of times stood in wonderment for longer than was healthy. Unfortunately the beings concerned didn’t reciprocate my appreciation but my sense of achievement in getting into the Mill was quite something. (I do know that last year I got in a window). I haven't achieved all optional quests/secrets, but I followed up Marbrien’s post and delivered Poor Wee Markus and also managed to get an unconscious Mr Lash to burp several times. So all good. I later found Garrett can drink from the bottle in his room but as I'd already used the Oblivion potion I wasn't able to experiment, and having swallowed the FairyFly stuff earlier it seemed best not to find out. I’m 257 short on loot and I think I’ve peaked.

But any hint on where to look for a Lucky Penny would be appreciated. As would how to get those Passion, Charm and Hair Growth potions. (For a friend. Willing to pay.)

An early post mentioning Mister Jim Jim in Mission 2 is intriguing (I had wondered if that might get developed) but like some others I need to build my strength before venturing on.
    Thanks for playing the mission again, and for the nice comments, we're very glad you're enjoying the mission! You earned that sense of achievement, lol. Regarding Lash, if you use the potion on the bottle before knocking him out you will get the actual bonus quest complete, and might enjoy the show a bit more : ) That's the only place to use the potion, though, btw.

As for the Lucky Coin, take a look on the middle floor of the tall narrow building in town, the lighting shop. If you need a more direct hint, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by irg View Post
    Congrats on the update! Finished both missions on Normal. Found all the Chess pieces in the 2nd one too. Gonna have to go back and take some screenshots of all the lovely vistas.

I do have one question though: Is there any way into the chapel bell tower in Mission 1? Those open windows up top are taunting me.

EDIT: Found it. No wonder the novice didn't want to stay there haha
    Glad you enjoyed the mission and like the views : ) Glad you found the way up!

After finding all the chess pieces, did you find the hidden location that opened?

Awesome update to the mission!

I've got a couple things I'm trying to find in mission 1 (Normal difficulty):

I found 2 of the idols, one along the river on the way to town, one in a ancient area off a mine on the way to the mill. Where's the third?

Also, I haven't yet found a lucky coin.

- prjames

Thank you!

The third Jade Idol is located behind the waterfall in the forest. Look for a place to jump down near the bridge.

You can find the lucky coin in the lighting shop in town. Full on spoiler: look for a hidden switch under a table on the second floor.

That worked, thank you! - prjames

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    Glad you enjoyed the mission and like the views : ) Glad you found the way up!

After finding all the chess pieces, did you find the hidden location that opened?
    Yep! It was certainly a treat! Also happened to finally figure out a few other secrets that had been plaguing me right after that one. The change to Room 15 and Room 7 were really throwing me off.

Im missing 2 chest pieces, where are they?

Knight 1 is in the proprietor's bedroom (look in high places), and Bishop 2 is in the crypt (read the plaque on the wall by the fountain for a clue how to find this one). Outright spoiler: on top of the proprietor's bed, and douse the plant by Charlet's grave.

I really enjoyed version 2. The changes were excellent. The easter egg area change was the cherry on top. Thanks for all the hard work.

However I found one buggy area in mission 2. Once you use the owners key and go to the window right before his rooms and office. The one where the chess piece is on the piece of wood above. I could walk out or crawl out but could never go back in. I ended up having to use a rope arrow fired from the library side of the of the hotel and just going back to the window and going out to the rope so I could climb out then jump back to the library side.

What is causing this?

Also in mission 1 can you get to that house high up on the hill above the temple area? You could in the earlier version.

Master Builder 2018
    Glad you enjoyed the update! Our best guess is that the proprietor's window issue is probably a result of the narrowness of the ledge not providing enough space for Garrett to align properly to enter it if you're on it in just a certain way. It's a rare occurrence (we saw it once or twice and thought it fixed), but if you tried it again you'd probably get through.

As for that house in M1, we did our best to close it off because we were getting severe lag up there. It's still possible for adventurous taffers to get there, but there is nothing to find except the view and the lag. : )

In Mission 2 (normal difficulty).

OK, I explored one of the areas I was supposed to look at for a chess piece in the old version of the mission and instead I found Mr. Jim Jim - oh my!

How do I remove this curse on Jim Jim and get him back so I can give him to the maid who wants him back?

Do I have to do the main quest (Elizabeth and the Winter Wing) first?

- prjames

Yes, that Mr. Jim Jim needs a good walloping

Small hint: Where in the map might you find something blessed in order to perform a blessing/exorcism? Bigger hint: Take a look in the chapel for something useful.

Also, there may be more than one way to dispose of Jim Jim...

Take note that, although some of the chess pieces have been moved around since version 1, there is still one somewhere in the attic.

This was really worth the wait! I spent all my time going "ooo, this is new" and gawking at all the effects though I spent almost 30 minutes at the beginning of Mission 1 trying to get into the mill, thinking I was just mis-remembering how I'd done it before.

I found all the jade idols, though I could never actually get my hands on the floating one behind the waterfall.

Both missions also seem a lot brighter than I remember, which is good since I had a hard time finding my way around without cranking the gamma occasionally in the original, especially in the broken wall after the "Run" section of the Winter Wing.

I love the development of the old side quests and all the new ones; Mr. Jim Jim's new appearance is a particular highlight (though I was expecting a little more to happen because of his inventory label).

The water dripping sound that shows up in a few areas seems a tad loud (especially in the Hammerite Crypt in Mission 1), but that's only a small nitpick.

Also, using FMSel the Readme for whatever reason defaults to the French version. Kind of weird, but not a game breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post

I found all the jade idols, though I could never actually get my hands on the floating one behind the waterfall.
    Re: floating jade idol...

Gentle hint: There's a reason there are moss arrows at that location.

Full hint: Shoot moss arrows at the four circles on pillars at the base.

- prjames

I know the player gets an on-screen notification in Mission 1 when they've found all the secrets. Do they get the same in Mission 2? (If so, I must be at least one short!)

Master Builder 2018
    Yes, you get that in Mission 2 also.

Master Builder 2018
    This was really worth the wait! I spent all my time going "ooo, this is new" and gawking at all the effects though I spent almost 30 minutes at the beginning of Mission 1 trying to get into the mill, thinking I was just mis-remembering how I'd done it before.

Both missions also seem a lot brighter than I remember, which is good since I had a hard time finding my way around without cranking the gamma occasionally in the original, especially in the broken wall after the "Run" section of the Winter Wing.

I love the development of the old side quests and all the new ones; Mr. Jim Jim's new appearance is a particular highlight (though I was expecting a little more to happen because of his inventory label).

The water dripping sound that shows up in a few areas seems a tad loud (especially in the Hammerite Crypt in Mission 1), but that's only a small nitpick.

Also, using FMSel the Readme for whatever reason defaults to the French version. Kind of weird, but not a game breaker.
    We're very happy that you enjoyed the mission! As prjames said, to get the idol behind the waterfall, shoot a moss arrow at the runes on each of the standing stones and it will lower. As for the FM Sel issue, I just loaded it in FM Sel and don't see it in French. I'm not sure how to change language settings in FM Sel, but I suppose there is a way.

The French thing wasn't a deal breaker for me since I can mostly read it and did think to go looking in the files for the English one; I just thought it was strange. It's also repeatable but only happens with this mission in particular. It might be something on my end, who knows?

The French thing wasn't a deal breaker for me since I can mostly read it and did think to go looking in the files for the English one; I just thought it was strange. [...] It might be something on my end, who knows?
    Your: x:\ThiefGold\install.cfg

Maybe in the language-line You have something like that:

language french+english

instead of:

language english+french

to give a "proper" (wanted) priory for languages (?)

Do you get into the windmill the same way as in the old version ?
    The "width" doesn't seem to fit

Quote Originally Posted by Pavis View Post
    Do you get into the windmill the same way as in the old version ?
    The "width" doesn't seem to fit
    Nope, keep progressing and you'll eventually end up inside it.

Eventually found all 6 secrets in Mission 2 (Expert), and 5470 out of 5650 loot.

One curiosity - the Stats screen says I have 6 out of 7 pockets picked. I played with Auto Search Bodies set to On. I've also checked everyone I can find who I knocked out, and I have already taken anything they were carrying. Is someone hiding somewhere?

What do I see here as a treat???!!!
    Moderator ánd FM maker. So glad I saw this.
    Damn, I must look more often into this forum.
    I'm so busy, (making urnbears, babysitting my grandchildren on regular times an being a volunteer on the Animalambulance a.s.o.) but still playing Thief every evening/night
    Glad to play this one in due time.
    Thanks Tannar!

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

do you have to meet the loot requirement to be able to get into the mill seems like I have been everywhere. out right spoiler please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat99 View Post
    Your: x:\ThiefGold\install.cfg

Maybe in the language-line You have something like that:

language french+english

instead of:

language english+french

to give a "proper" (wanted) priory for languages (?)

I just checked that, and it just says English with no other languages listed. Hmm.

As I said, it's limited to this one mission in particular, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast