TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Scarlet Cascabel (Updated to Version 2 - Feb 10, 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    do you have to meet the loot requirement to be able to get into the mill seems like I have been everywhere. out right spoiler please.
    Check the mines.

@pwl - No, you don't need to meet the loot requirement first. Have you explored Wend's office? Bigger hint: Look for a switch that opens a passageway to her smuggling den. From there, be sure to read all readables and add the jumper switch to your inventory. Outright spoiler: In the machinery room across from Wend's smuggling den, turn on the generator. Use the jumper switch in your inventory on the power panel (now frobbable), and pull this switch to open a path across the canyon. This path with eventually lead you back to the mill.

edit: Max ninja'd me ; )

@McTaffer.. we're not sure what's going on either, but looking into, and will let you know if we have a solution. Anyone else using FMSel having this issue?

@Marbrien, here is a list of pick pockets on Expert: Kitchen maid - purse, sleeping maid in women's quarters - purse, green guard patrolling 2nd floor - heal potion, Nightingale room 10 - key, Colonel Augustus room 11 - purse, Petra Xemenez room 14 - purse, Petra guard room 14 - heal potion. There is one additional item available on normal, which is the proprietor's key to his office. He can be found having a conversation near the hotel lobby, or after the convo moves to the gallery.

My suggestions or spotted bugs if you ever plan to release an update:

- The game crashed after I pulled the generator switch. I had to reload the save and do it again - this time it worked correctly.
    - The Hammerite in the inn does not react to Garrett standing in front of him. When I swing my sword, however, he runs through the barred door.
    - The door leading to the room with the sleeping guy in the inn should be pickable.
    - I suggest a different ambient loop in the crypt.
    - Are there any secrets in the forest cabin? I only found two readables.

Thank you for the updated campaign. I've only played the first level so far, but I liked it a lot.

@Tannar, thank you very much for the hints. I started again just to witness the effect on a conscious Mr. Lash of placing the Essence of Oblivion in his bottle and I can identify with some of the results.

Iíve swept Mission 1 at Normal Difficulty looking for 105 loot thatís missing but failed miserably so will have to go on without. Am I right to think
    (a) Thereís no key to the Alms Box (although it clicks when approached with lockpicks). SOLVED
    (b) In Brother Grimwaldís room the dark rectangle on wall to right of East door has no significance other than perhaps the remains of a candle holder.
    (c) Only 3 deposit boxes (of the 8) can be opened at Witherington, Bledsoe and Cole.

Interestingly I managed to lock myself out of the Weapons Shop, just before trying to go in. HeHe!
    Last edited by Aged Raver; 18th Feb 2020 at 07:47.

Aged Raver, concerning the Alms Box:

Hint: It can be opened.

Spoiler: It can be opened with lockpicks from the other side, check the Hammerite's bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    Aged Raver, concerning the Alms Box:

Hint: It can be opened.

Spoiler: It can be opened with lockpicks from the other side, check the Hammerite's bedroom.
    Arghh! Thank you very much! Yes of course. I'd already opened it from the other side. DOH! So much for observational skills. Thanks!

pukey brunster: Thanks I will have another look in her office I did'nt think of snooping around in an allies place of business haha!!

And you would think she would give that info freely (maybe she does'nt trust poor old Garret.)
    Last edited by pwl; 18th Feb 2020 at 08:45.

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    @Tannar, thank you very much for the hints. I started again just to witness the effect on a conscious Mr. Lash of placing the Essence of Oblivion in his bottle and I can identify with some of the results.
    (b) In Brother Grimwaldís room the dark rectangle on wall to right of East door has no significance other than perhaps the remains of a candle holder.
    (c) Only 3 deposit boxes (of the 8) can be opened at Witherington, Bledsoe and Cole.

Interestingly I managed to lock myself out of the Weapons Shop, just before trying to go in. HeHe!
    Regarding the Lash results, I can too. : )

The dark rectangle in the priest's room is where the crypt key was hanging. Did you get that key already? I would suspect that you did since you are only missing 105 loot, and there is more than that in the crypt.

As for the safety deposit boxes, that's correct.

Seems we overlooked something with the weapons shop door, lol. Darn. Good catch. We'll add it to the list of fixes if there is ever another update.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMax View Post
    Nope, keep progressing and you'll eventually end up inside it.
    Thank you DarkMax, I got into the mines and grabbed the idol but it seems I missed the path to the mill, I will check again

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    My suggestions or spotted bugs if you ever plan to release an update:

- The game crashed after I pulled the generator switch. I had to reload the save and do it again - this time it worked correctly.
    - The Hammerite in the inn does not react to Garrett standing in front of him. When I swing my sword, however, he runs through the barred door.
    - The door leading to the room with the sleeping guy in the inn should be pickable.
    - I suggest a different ambient loop in the crypt.
    - Are there any secrets in the forest cabin? I only found two readables.

Thank you for the updated campaign. I've only played the first level so far, but I liked it a lot.
    Glad you liked the mission!

We never saw that happen with the generator switch before, how strange. Sometimes things like that happen one time and never again. Probably just a one-off occurrence.
    Not sure why the door to the tavern room should be pickable, it isn't locked.
    There are no secrets in the forest cabin/lamplighter's shack. That's just there mainly for atmosphere and to provide a clue to the fairy ring.

Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    pukey brunster: Thanks I will have another look in her office I didn't think of snooping around in an allies place of business haha!!

And you would think she would give that info freely (maybe she doesn't trust poor old Garret.)
    We thought some people might hesitate to do that, lol. She probably trusts Garrett, but she's no doubt used to keeping her smuggling a secret. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Pavis View Post
    ... it seems I missed the path to the mill, I will check again
    If you grabbed the idol from the temple past the mines, then you were very close. Just continue up the path above the waterfalls and you'll find a cave with a pool and some gear on the ground. Look up.

@Tannar >... The dark rectangle in the priest's room is where the crypt key was hanging.

DOH! Of course it was. Iíd forgotten. Thanks.

@pwl, regarding Wend's office - in version 1 we released it with Wend just standing there, hanging out in her office while Garrett snoops around like a creeper, reading her journal and stuff, LOL. We found it odd, to say the least, so in this version, at least she excuses herself to the next room. How convenient

I have to say, I had even more fun with this release than the contest version. Even took the time to get all the chess pieces in mission two this time around. Thanks for the update!

Thanks @Spyrano! Really glad you had fun with it, and kudos on the chess pieces as it truly takes a "Tenacious Taffer" to find them all

I think there is a little bug present in the first mission. It is not a game breaker but may confuse the player a bit. The door to the weapons shop can be opened with the front door key found in a house between the well and Lash's place. When I played the first mission on Hard two days ago and just needed the hotel map to be able to regularly end the mission, I tried to open the shop door in the standard Thief way: Lockpicks first, keys in inventory second, sword-bashing third. The front door key did the trick, but I did not remember at first from where I got that key. I was then faced with a shopkeeper who was not reacting on me, and I tried to get to him across the counter by climbing or jumping. The water arrow on display suddenly "hit" Garrett; it vanished, and a "splash" sound was heard. (And my all-new shiny shoes are RUINED now!!)

Later on, I concluded that the key was not meant to open this door, so I reloaded a saved game just before opening the weapons shop, got the map, and when I returned to the shop, its door had opened all on its own. The mission ended when I entered. That was obviously the intended way of finishing the mission.

And now for something completely different.

Concerning McTaffer's little language problem: I also had the french Readme file pre-selected when starting "The Scarlet Cascabel" (v2). My language setting in INSTALL.CFG was "language german".

It is fairly easy to change the displayed Readme file (or rather Info File) in FMSel. To select another file as an info file for the mission, right-click on the mission in FMSel's mission list. Select "Edit..." in the appearing pop-up menu. Select the "Misc" tab if it is not already selected. On the right side, you can then select an "Info File" from the ones FMSel found. Just click on whatever is displayed below the "Info File" line, and you should see a list of possible info files. Readme.rtf is the english one in the case of "The Scarlet Cascabel" (v2). The choice will be saved, so when the player closes Thief and restarts it later on, the game will still remember the file chosen.

Usually, FMSel and other FM loaders work a tiny little bit more reliable if all available files are called "FMInfo.rtf" or "FMInfo.txt" for files without a specific language, or "FMInfo-FR.rtf", "FMInfo-EN.txt" etc. for files in the appropriate language. EN in this case is for English, FR for French, DE for German, IT for Italian; whether it was ES or SP for Spanish, I do not know. This is an ancient standard set by DarkLoader.

Russian seems to be usually associated with RU or RUS, Polish with PL, but I do not know whether any FM loader reacts on these abbreviations.

To what extent FMSel takes the language defined in DARKINST.CFG or INSTALL.CFG into account, I do not know; AFAIK, FMSel ignores the language set and selects the file to use as an info file by an unknown algorithm.

If an FM author wants to make sure a certain info file is displayed when the mission is first accessed in FMSel, he/she can add an entry into the fm.ini file in the FM archive's main directory like this:

InfoFile=FMInfo.txt

And by the way, one can also add a line like "NiceName=The Scarlet Cascabel (v2)" there. FMSel will then display that name in the list, instead of just "TSCv2" (the name of the .zip, .rar or .7z FM archive). There are more interesting things one can do with fm.ini, but I do not know where one can find a comprehensive list.

By using the "InfoFile=..." line of fm.ini, one can pull off something else more convenient for players. For example, the author may create individual info files such as FMInfo-EN.rtf, FMInfo-FR.rtf etc., and then put all of them into one large FMInfo.rtf file, along with the famous "Scroll down for ..." lines, and maybe even with a description of how the player can select just the english or french file for displaying as the Info File. That should then be enough for everyone.

AFAIK, ancient DarkLoader only recognized file names beginning with "FMInfo-" as language-specific info files, not something like "Readme-" (e.g., Readme-FR.rtf). I think it would be a good choice to follow this "rule" for the future, as newer FM loaders may also chose to adopt this standard.

What NewDarkLoader and AngelLoader do in regard of these info files, I have not verified so far.

AngelLoader chooses a readme file based on an algorithm that looks at filenames and tries to choose one that doesn't contain spoilers (so it would reject "walkthrough.txt" and "secrets.txt" but might select "readme.txt", "fminfo-en.txt", "[mission name].txt" etc). Language is not really taken into account; it favors English readmes if there are any. I figured since it's so easy to change readmes in AngelLoader that choosing English as a safe option was okay. Perhaps I should change it to choose language readmes based on the chosen language in Settings.

AFAIK NewDarkLoader always asks you to choose a readme manually if there are multiple ones, and for the same reason as above: to avoid throwing potential spoilers in your face. AngelLoader will also do this in the rare case where it can't detect a spoiler-free readme with certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    Perhaps I should change it to choose language readmes based on the chosen language in Settings
    Yes please

Edit: Actually what I meant is, it would be great if it's possible to chose the language. I use an english game version, because I like the original voice actors better, but I would like to have readables in german whenever there is a german version of the FM.
    Last edited by Karras35; 21st Feb 2020 at 17:32.

Quote Originally Posted by pukey brunster View Post
    Thank you!

The third Jade Idol is located behind the waterfall in the forest. Look for a place to jump down near the bridge.

You can find the lucky coin in the lighting shop in town. Full on spoiler: look for a hidden switch under a table on the second floor.
    How do I access the lighting shop? I'm stumped, and as best I can tell it's the only thing possible in Mission 1 I haven't been able to do or figure out.

Master Builder 2018
    @baeuchlein: Thanks for that comprehensive post. A lot of great information there, some of which was new to me. I am not sure why the French readme would have been chosen, except that it was listed first in the file archive. Perhaps when no file is specified in the fm.ini file, FM Sel takes it on a first-come-first-served basis. Also, thanks for catching the key issue. That was an oversight due to some changes made long after that shop was built originally and the key assignment was overlooked. We plan to release an update when we have the new language translations finished, and we'll address that and a few other minor issues at that time.

@FenPhoenix: Thanks for that info, I didn't know you'd written it to avoid spoilers. Good idea. And I suppose it would be good to sync it to the chosen language if you ever get the urge. Thanks for your work on the loader, btw. I love using it.

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by glwhalen View Post
    How do I access the lighting shop? I'm stumped, and as best I can tell it's the only thing possible in Mission 1 I haven't been able to do or figure out.
    Hint: Go around back, behind the shop and look up.

Spoiler: There is a beam above the top window. Use a rope arrow. If you can't see the beam well, the whole building's wood.

Tanner, Thanks! One of those obvious things that I can't believe I missed.

Very small point. At the start of Mission 2 on Normal Difficulty when buying the Hot Tip @ 25 itís charged at 50, although I realise I can reload once Iíve read it. And it seems to be compensated for when buying gas arrows, stated to cost 500 each, as my cash only goes down by 350. I canít remember what the usual price is but the illusion of a discount is appreciated as it outweighs the shortfall of loot that I failed to find.

Master Builder 2018
    Thanks for catching that! We'll fix it. It's worth it just to read your post, lol! Had me laughing.

Due to my poor riddle book-keeping I'm not sure of the relevant verse for Pawn 3 but everything else has gone really well including returning Mister Jim Jim. I played with subtitles on, but the voice artists were excellent and I went back twice just to hear some of Elizabethís lines. I still get chills from the clever atmosphere in many places. (That's when I found subtitles were handy because having temporarily switched the sound off to get the job done I still saw any speech.)
    As Cardia said of the original, itís a masterpiece.
    So many things to praise.
    A brilliant collaboration.

Master Builder 2018
    Thank you for that post, Aged Raver! We're very happy you're enjoying the mission and its atmosphere. Yes, all the voice actors gave stellar performances and really brought their characters to life.

Regarding Pawn 3, the relevant verse is:

"Above the deep I never slip, be careful lest you take a dip"

Hint: Find a body of water

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast