TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Scarlet Cascabel (Updated to Version 2 - Feb 10, 2020)

Have managed to find every chess piece except the one that is buried with the oldest Blackwell. Is it in the crypt? Love the riddle hunt...was stumped for a minute by the one about consuming spirits and then when it hit me I couldn't stop laughing. Regarding mission one and the mill...I do remember going through a window in earlier version...

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe45 View Post
    Have managed to find every chess piece except the one that is buried with the oldest Blackwell. Is it in the crypt?
    Yes, but... You can't get to it until you've completed the main quest. Go into the Winter portion of the Castle, once you've completed that section and gotten the torc, there will be an earthquake and there will be a crack you go down underneath a tree, that you'll use a rope arrow for if you don't want to take damage. Once down, turn around, the King chess piece is in the same niche where the will is.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe45 View Post
    Regarding mission one and the mill...I do remember going through a window in earlier version...
    It's definitely different in this version. You need to make your way through the mines to eventually get to the mill, and I believe you now need something from the mill for the main plotline which wasn't true in the old version.

- prjames

Thanks Tannar. Due to complete incompetence it was Pawn 6 (not Pawn 3 as I'd said) that I couldn’t find. I was counting from the wrong side DOH! but I got there eventually. Great finish. Incidentally who was it that died in the basement utilities area, whose body can be seen through the floor grill but disappears when Garrett goes down?
    Last edited by Aged Raver; 25th Feb 2020 at 13:42.

The body in the basement was originally meant to the the "phantom" prankster ghost (who inhabits the possessed Mr. Jim Jim and messes with the chowder) but it kind of got lost in the story line. Instead of removing the ghost, we just decided to keep him for a little more fun in there.

Of course. I'd been thinking surely it can't be Agatha's beloved brother. So that was Crow. Thanks.

I am playing mission 1 on Expert.
    I wonder about a couple of things. I have been in all the houses within the village, and have the evidence on Lash as well.
    However, I still need to figure out two things:
    - I'm really short on loot. (have 1054 vs the 1500 requirement). Where on earth could be all the other stuff?
    - I'm aware that a map is in the mill. How to get inside the mill? Windows are too narrow, water current is too fast in the opposite direction.

Thank you!

Master Builder 2018
    Regarding loot, there is a lot of loot scattered around the village and there is some in the forest as well.
    Did you go up to the top floor of the narrow building which is the lighting shop? There is a window up there that opens onto the roof next door and from there you can access a small tower room with loot.
    The jade idols also count as loot, and they are worth 100 each.

To get to the mill you must travel through the mines and the forest a bit. Go into Wend's basement office and look for a lever under a bookshelf. The armoire will move aside. Enter that passage and explore. You will find a control room which should give you the means to get across the canyon and into the mines on the south side. That is your route. Once you do this, you will probably find enough loot along the way also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    Regarding loot, there is a lot of loot scattered around the village and there is some in the forest as well.
    Did you go up to the top floor of the narrow building which is the lighting shop? There is a window up there that opens onto the roof next door and from there you can access a small tower room with loot.
    The jade idols also count as loot, and they are worth 100 each.

To get to the mill you must travel through the mines and the forest a bit. Go into Wend's basement office and look for a lever under a bookshelf. The armoire will move aside. Enter that passage and explore. You will find a control room which should give you the means to get across the canyon and into the mines on the south side. That is your route. Once you do this, you will probably find enough loot along the way also.
    Thank you very much! I think I missed quite a bit of loot just by overlooking that lever in Wend's basement office. That opened up a few areas...

I experience that the carrying body icon does not show at all in this mission. I have Tfixed and NewDark 1.27, all other missions (including original version of Scarlet Cascabel) show the carrying bodies. Is it me, or is it an issue with this mission?

It's not you we did that by design. For one, we would have had to make a matching carry pic for all the customized stock AI, and also, we both feel like the carry pic obstructs the player's view, so it wasn't a priority for us to include it.

Hi, need a hint in mission 2: Is it possible to enter room 7 (Mr. Davidoff's room with the "Do not disturb" note)? thanks

Take a good look around the hallway behind room 7.

Bigger hint: look closely at the grandfather clock. Full spoiler: There is a secret button on top of the clock that opens the clock to a secret room. In there, look up. There's a vent which connects to room 7.

Quote Originally Posted by pukey brunster View Post
    It's not you we did that by design. For one, we would have had to make a matching carry pic for all the customized stock AI, and also, we both feel like the carry pic obstructs the player's view, so it wasn't a priority for us to include it.
    Ah, now I see the point. Thank you! I can only partly agree with you, since if one lowers the size of the visiblity gem and the health points, the carrying image will also be somewhat lower, and then the player can still see. I also understand that it would have been a lot of work, as I see, the hotel has quite a couple of custom AI skins compared to the contest version.

Just finished both missions on Expert. I was really excited to see an updated version, and it well worthed it to play.

I especially liked all the little touches that made the hotel atmosphere even more gritty/worn out - even the clothes of the staff were out of color. I also really liked the whole atmosphere of the hotel - dark, very thiefy, threatening yet not your typical haunted place. Hunting for chess pieces was a challange - again. The ambients were really well chosen and totally suitable for the atmosphere.

Only downside for me - and this is a question of taste, not a question of the great quality of this mission - was the sealed wing. Overall I found it too much, too dark, "too haunted", if this category exists. All I wanted to do is to get out of there as soon as possible - and I also found myself turning the volume as low as possible. Especially the hospital part was waaay too much, too threatening for me. And do not get me wrong - it's not the case that I'm an "afraid" kind of guy. However, haunted and undead places are not my primary cup of tea, but, for comparison, I did really like DP2 - Phantasmagoria or the undead hammerite part of Seven Sisters, or even Niborius' new Secrets of the old city.

The sealed wing part could have been less supernatural with less dummies and blood on the wall, overall less threatennig. Less is more sometimes. Again, this is not a question of quality, rather a question of taste.

Highlights for me were the beautiful setting of mission 1, and for mission 2, the little games and written thoughts of the hotel staff, the sound of the old clocks, the funny and entertaining guests, and the beautiful pool area as well.
    Last edited by ticky; 10th Mar 2020 at 08:31. Reason: typo

Master Builder 2018
    Thank you for your comments, ticky! We're very happy that you enjoyed the mission, and that you were willing to play the update after having played the original. Glad you liked the details in the hotel, we had a lot of fun putting them in. As for the sealed wing, we get where you're coming from, and yes, it's mostly a matter of taste. On the other hand, we were hoping to make the sealed wing feel threatening and it looks like we succeeded somewhat. Hope it didn't give you too much of a fright, lol! Anyway, thank you for posting your thoughts about it, we loved reading them.

Mission 1. I read in this thread something about bones in tavern attic, but I couldn't find any bones. Other part of attic is blocked by boxes and I couldn't find any switch to move them. I couldn't find any other way there either. How to find these bones?

Master Builder 2018
    Go outside on the long balcony with tables. There are two barrels near the door. Above those barrels is a vent grate on the wall. That is your route.

Thanks a lot, I found it.

Mission 2. I have 0 questions. Nevermind, I solved all my problems.

Now I beat this Version 2. My reaction is Mission 1 is huge improvement. Many new interesting areas and fixing framerate problems with fog. Mission 2 on the other hand is weaker than original. I guess it was simplify to make it possible to ghost, but to be honest I preferred previous version. There was more guests, gong objective was challenging, more guards. Also some paths were made easier. I don't think it was necessary. As for graphical treatment - I wasn't fan of white goblets and vases being loot. I prefer gold color. Also black wall of darkness in Sealed Wing impressed me more than black cloud of smoke in this version. And I don't like look of Red Lady. In this version she looks like red cloud and is actually less scary than it was in first version.

I liked that there is map, though I would also like to have automap for Mission 2. But still it's improvement. I liked presence of subtitles, so I could better understand the story. For 16 chess pieces clues book - I think it would be good to cross out riddles for chess pieces that we gathered. Because it's hard to track, which clues are useful and which aren't after grabbing chess pieces through exploration. Overall it's really interesting version and both missions are fun to play.
    Last edited by Galaer; 15th Mar 2020 at 07:35. Reason: 3 questions solved and opinion added

Thanks for your response, and for playing the second time around!

I disagree that the removal of the gong objective is a bad thing, although I am impressed that you liked the challenge (especially if ghosting). As for the riddles, yeah, crossing off would have been a great idea if we had time (or knew how) to implement it, but afraid it will have to stay as is for now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234