TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief Gold 'run' key binding

Thief Gold 'run' key binding

In Thief 2 you can bind a key to the 'run' action. This allows you to hold down the walk key (e.g. 'w') and then when you want to sprint, without letting go of 'w' you can simultaneously press the run key. This is very handy. This is a common feature is all modern FPS. However I haven't been able to figure out how to do this in Thief Gold. It's driving me nuts because I mostly play Thief 2 missions (because there are loads more of them), but whenever I go to play a Thief Gold mission this totally screws me up. Is this possible?

I just keep Run as the default, since Garrett is mostly quiet (depends on flooring of course), and then I just bind Walk Slowly and Creep to other keys (F and C, respectively). Works wonders for me. This is Thief 2, btw.

It is, quite literally, the very first option in the "customize controls" section of the options menu.

Zombified
    I think he's referring to that strange issue where you are simply unable to bind TG walk/run controls to mirror T2 (which is a real thing, you can't for some reason). if you have patched up with TFix, you should have the Thief Classic preset available under options/controls/customize controls/load, try that and see whether it does what you want.

@Psych0sis that is the 'run forward' binding I think. Let's say you bind 'w' to move forwards. It seems you have to choose run or walk. What I want is the equivalent of 'hold down shift to run' like you get in most FPS these days (and in T2).

@voodoo47 yes that sounds like the issue. I'll try that preset when I get a chance. If it's as you say and you can't do it the same as T2, what does everyone do then? Do you just press a different key when you want to run? So if you have 'w' bound to walk forward you need to then press something else to start running forward?

Zombified
    I just crouch when I need to go silent. no idea what everyone else does, not a psych1c.

anyway, if T2 style run/walk controls is what you want, then the Classic preset exists for that very purpose. also, you can rebind keys it once you load it, the T2 run/walk setting should persist (meaning, if you want to rebind WASD to arrows for example, you can do that without breaking the preset).

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    I just crouch when I need to go silent. no idea what everyone else does, not a psych1c..
    No worries :-) what I was hoping for was other people chiming in with what they do. I prefer to walk by default and like you say crouch when I need to, or dash when I'm being impatient!

Quote Originally Posted by demilich666 View Post
    No worries :-) what I was hoping for was other people chiming in with what they do. I prefer to walk by default and like you say crouch when I need to, or dash when I'm being impatient!
    I run everywhere possible. And crouch when I need to go silently, and then it's like a fast walk..

@voodoo47 I tried the Classic preset, and... it worked! I don't know how because 'shift' isn't bound to anything, but when I hold it down while also holding 'w' I can run! Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Deity View Post
    I run everywhere possible. And crouch when I need to go silently, and then it's like a fast walk..
    yeah that's what I was doing by default on TG I think

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I never walk in Thief, I either run or crouch-run. Very rarely will creep.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I never walk in Thief, I either run or crouch-run. Very rarely will creep.
    Interesting - does running not produce a lot of noise? Wondering why I'm bothering with walking now. I play a lot of Dark Mod as well - maybe it's more significant there...

ZylonBane
    @voodoo47 I tried the Classic preset, and... it worked! I don't know how because 'shift' isn't bound to anything, but when I hold it down while also holding 'w' I can run!
    Because some of the movement commands automagically accept the Shift key as a modifier, so it isn't considered a separate command when toggling between movement speeds.

Interesting - does running not produce a lot of noise?
    "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

"If Garrett runs on hard surface and no guard is around to hear it, does it make a difference?"

Depending on the playing style and the FM design, playing Thief is often running in an empty environment.

Thief series showed me how important is slow walking in videogames in terms of immersion. I always choose normal walk movement by default. However, Garret oblique movement (w+a or w+d) results a significative speed increment with respect to normal walking. In other words, diagonal walking provides almost the same speed than forward running. Anybody knows a mod or formula to fix that?

ZylonBane
    That fact that diagonal-walking everyone looks idiotic is usually enough to discourage people from doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinG View Post
    In other words, diagonal walking provides almost the same speed than forward running. Anybody knows a mod or formula to fix that?
    Only press W and look with exactly a 45 angle on your left or your right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_Key View Post
    Only press W and look with exactly a 45 angle on your left or your right?
    I think they mean if you press W and say A or D at the same time while looking in the direction you want to move. I tried this out and it appears to be true - you do move a bit faster...

ZylonBane
    ...I think they mean if you press W and say A or D at the same time...
    Yes, it's the part where RobinG literally says that that lead me to figuring out that's what he meant when he said the thing he meant to say he said.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Because some of the movement commands automagically accept the Shift key as a modifier, so it isn't considered a separate command when toggling between movement speeds.
    Meant to say thanks for this - are there any other commands that use this modifier?

I think they mean if you press W and say A or D at the same time while looking in the direction you want to move. I tried this out and it appears to be true - you do move a bit faster...
    Indeed, my bad : so press A or D and at the same time look on your left or your right, 45 angle. That must be the good formula then. You WILL walk slower.

For those who think diagonal movement issue is a stupid thing, I must say this:

Actually Garret reach his highest speed when he is running in diagonal. Anyone can check it in tutorial “sound room”. Try to run from left wall to right wall. Running forward (shift+w) takes 10 strides to cover that distance. Running in diagonal (shift+a+w) takes only 8.
    Last edited by RobinG; 2nd Mar 2020 at 12:22.