TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 135 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415202530354045505560110 ... LastLast

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

Moderator and Priest
    I just got back from the store.

Cokes were on sale. Bought a couple Dr. Peppers 12-packs. Think I'm set.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    wish you and your family the best

here .
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kttr...3BPOI2DAzujtC0
    Thanks JK from Troll-inus (-anus?)
    Tomorrow we'll have the results for my father test.....still the test can see the virus byproducts during the incubation but NOT from the first days.....so only the "positive" is a definitive result.
    It's why he must stay 14 days @home nonetheless.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Uh oh. You encouraged him. Now he's gonna send you mash notes, and try to finagle a green card out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Uh oh. You encouraged him. Now he's gonna send you mash notes, and try to finagle a green card out of you.
    Coronavirus outbreak vs JK special attentions.....uhm.....what a dilemma.

BANNED
    Tomorrow we'll have the results for my father test.....still the test can see the virus byproducts during the incubation but NOT from the first days.....so only the "positive" is a definitive result.
    It's why he must stay 14 days @home nonetheless.
    marry me and I shall troll you eternally :kiss: I also need a green card

hope everyone comes out of it ok. if we start quarantines here I imagine people will go full retard as they already have stocking up TP and water but seemingly not food.

Moderator and Priest
    Be gentle with him, JK. He's foreign too.

Anyway, I don't think we're gonna see a full on nationwide quarantine here. It's one of the advantages of living in a big ole place with a relatively small amount of people in it. What'll happen are a few big cities like New York and Seattle will get locked down, then we'll have a small panic as everyone rushes to buy root beer or something equally stupid and arbitrary, while the people in the rural areas will take up sucking on urinal cakes to pwn the libtards. Three months from now, 75% of the population will have died from diabetes and hepatitis, and we'll have to start a new government based upon the teachings of Scientology.

Hasn't been quite this crazy across the ditch yet...

True Renz. We're going to end up with a patchwork of responses that vary by situation, region, and metropolitan area, which include various restrictions up to what Italy has done.

But I still think we'll end up better off than Europe, because even if our national political leadership is inept, the federal agencies that are responsible for coordinating a response still have their crisis playbooks, most of their staff, facilities, stores. This is one of those (few) situations where I can see the point of federalism.

We can at least get better numbers for R0 and doubling this month, law of large numbers and all.

When I posted my link on March 6 the number of cases had just hit 100K. A 6 day doubling rate (unimpeded) would mean it'd hit 1 million in just over a month. It went up 15K in the last 3-4 days, although there might be a lag there or data not getting out, but it's still nowhere near doubling. That's closer to a 3-4 week doubling rate. Still nothing to sneeze about.

I want to check it at the end of March or first week of April, then we'll really know. If it cracks a million, then that next month is when it'd go big time.

So now the CCP's outlets are saying that the US needs to apologize to China and they're threatening to cut off medical supplies to the US.

A lot of people have been warning for a long time that it's insane to depend so heavily on one country for products that we literally need to survive, especially when that country is in many ways hostile (such as militarily supporting insurgents that we're fighting).

Have we learned our lesson yet? Of course not. Are we going to demand any accountability to fix this? Of course not.

But I still think we'll end up better off than Europe, because even if our national political leadership is inept, the federal agencies that are responsible for coordinating a response still have their crisis playbooks, most of their staff, facilities, stores. This is one of those (few) situations where I can see the point of federalism.
    As someone who has worked in and with some of those federal agencies, I think you have a hell of a lot of blind faith in the competence of those agencies. They couldn't even get their shit together well enough to handle a regional hurricane...not once but MULTIPLE times well after they should have learned their lesson. What makes you think they're ready to handle a national level crisis?

My general impression has been that a lot of the managers in them are "Soviet style" ones where their #1 priority is bullshitting enough good numbers so that their boss likes them. A lot of the rest just aren't that competent individuals.

John T Reed (West Point grad and Harvard MBA) gets into it a bit here (https://johntreed.com/blogs/john-t-r...ts-orientation) but most of those "agencies" are full of people who are in an extremely process oriented mindset as opposed to a results oriented one. They've gotten to where they are by rigidly following process with zero (visible) defects and by playing office politics well. He's mostly talking about career officers there but his comments are true to some extent in any large bureaucracy whether government or corporate.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 9th Mar 2020 at 23:40.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    we already have far too much communism, that communism is how we are able to afford bombing the shit out of countries with brown people......
    100%, dyed in the wool non sequitur

Be gentle with him, JK. He's foreign too.
    Grown up with american culture thanks to Disney :v

So which lovely character JK can be?

Here in the Netherlands, in one of our 12 provinces, called Noord-Brabant, the infection rate is the highest. In that province, the government asks you to stay at home even with mild health complaints (like you could also just have a cold, but stay home just to be on the safe side). People are asked to work from their homes if their job allows it.

In my company (in another province with a lower infection rate) all developers are now asked to take our work laptops home every day after work. This way, if you have mild symptoms where you can still work but don't want to risk infecting others so you choose to self-quarantine - or a step worse, when the government asks us in our province to work from home as they do in Noord-Brabant, we can work from home so our productivity doesn't come to a halt. I hope it doesn't come to that, for one thing I hate Skype meetings but mostly I just hope it won't become a pandemic with lots of casualties among the elderly and people with existing health issues.

Same here.
    But we're going to the full stop of every activity here in Lombardy. Maybe this same day.

BANNED
    buddy with family in Spain says they are looking to lock up the country as well.

BANNED
    Grown up with american culture thanks to Disney :v

So which lovely character JK can be?

(Meme removed)

I can probably play Yoda w/o the need for make up :kiss:

Man, the virus is really spreading fast in Western Europe now.

I'm fortunate to live where we haven't seen community transmission (yet), but people are taking some precautions. St. Patrick's Day parade was cancelled, which is a HUGE event in Boston. Some universities are cancelling all in-person classes and some schools have temporarily closed. But probably the biggest thing is that most employers are cancelling business travel - finally. That should have happened two weeks ago.

WHO created this map, which I like:
    https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...beeeee1b9125cd

I've been keeping an eye on the bar chart of new cases on the left. The first trend reversal occurred in early Feb, two weeks after the lockdown in China started. I'm waiting for the second trend reversal. If we see a declining trend in the next couple weeks, I'll feel much better about our response. If the numbers are still going up two weeks from now, it will mean that whatever we're doing today is not good enough.

Moderator and Priest
    Went on Facebook again, cuz I hate myself. People are savaging the local news stations, telling them it's politically motivated fake news, and to quit spreading fear whenever they post a story about the number of new virus cases, or give suggestions on how to stay safe. Some of them are talking about how they're still going to do whatever they want to do, because it's just like the flu, and they haven't gotten sick in years.

So yeah, we're about to get fucked. Hard.

It's A flu but NOT LIKE the flu. It's only killing your lungs DIRECTLY.
    With no vaccine and no certain cure/therapy, life support apart, until your immune system can crack the code AND until your inflammatory response doens't help the virus destroying the lung tissue.

Moderator and Priest
    Oh, I'm well aware of what it is and what it does. It's just that there are a lot of dipshits out there who aren't, and they're gonna get it, then they'll run around blaming everyone else when their PRECIOUS BABIES can't get a bed in an ICU ward due to all the other dipshits not taking it seriously and getting sick themselves.

Moderator and Priest

We're grade A prime cut straight up fucked.

Thankfully, that particular brand of lunacy is less common over here. Thank God for small mercies I guess.

BANNED
    Went on Facebook again, cuz I hate myself. People are savaging the local news stations, telling them it's politically motivated fake news, and to quit spreading fear whenever they post a story about the number of new virus cases, or give suggestions on how to stay safe. Some of them are talking about how they're still going to do whatever they want to do, because it's just like the flu, and they haven't gotten sick in years.

So yeah, we're about to get fucked. Hard.
    this is MURIKA, where people riot because the team lost, hell morons riot because the team won, do you really want all these dipshits out there looting the shit out of the stores in a panic? mother fuckers would be stealing TV's & Dinning rooms like they did during the LA riots for "justice".
    in Murika, ignorance is the best approach. fucking dip shits right now are fighting over things they have to PAY for, imagine WTF is going to happen when they fight over "free shit " once the looting starts?

440-399+66 (death / ex ICU)=105 new ICUs patients

No more acceleration in ICU! (153->105)

466-440+135 (death / ex ICU)=161 new ICUs patients

Man, 135 death in 1 day for the same shit.....(they of course pull the plug in ICU).

BANNED
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/new-...gnP7MBEVX1QRV0
    New York Gov. Cuomo deploys National Guard to New Rochelle, establishes containment center to stem coronavirus

Page 10 of 135 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415202530354045505560110 ... LastLast