TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 109 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516212631364146515661 ... LastLast

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

Here in the Netherlands, in one of our 12 provinces, called Noord-Brabant, the infection rate is the highest. In that province, the government asks you to stay at home even with mild health complaints (like you could also just have a cold, but stay home just to be on the safe side). People are asked to work from their homes if their job allows it.

In my company (in another province with a lower infection rate) all developers are now asked to take our work laptops home every day after work. This way, if you have mild symptoms where you can still work but don't want to risk infecting others so you choose to self-quarantine - or a step worse, when the government asks us in our province to work from home as they do in Noord-Brabant, we can work from home so our productivity doesn't come to a halt. I hope it doesn't come to that, for one thing I hate Skype meetings but mostly I just hope it won't become a pandemic with lots of casualties among the elderly and people with existing health issues.

Same here.
    But we're going to the full stop of every activity here in Lombardy. Maybe this same day.

BANNED
    buddy with family in Spain says they are looking to lock up the country as well.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Grown up with american culture thanks to Disney :v

So which lovely character JK can be?

(Meme removed)

I can probably play Yoda w/o the need for make up :kiss:

Man, the virus is really spreading fast in Western Europe now.

I'm fortunate to live where we haven't seen community transmission (yet), but people are taking some precautions. St. Patrick's Day parade was cancelled, which is a HUGE event in Boston. Some universities are cancelling all in-person classes and some schools have temporarily closed. But probably the biggest thing is that most employers are cancelling business travel - finally. That should have happened two weeks ago.

WHO created this map, which I like:
    https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...beeeee1b9125cd

I've been keeping an eye on the bar chart of new cases on the left. The first trend reversal occurred in early Feb, two weeks after the lockdown in China started. I'm waiting for the second trend reversal. If we see a declining trend in the next couple weeks, I'll feel much better about our response. If the numbers are still going up two weeks from now, it will mean that whatever we're doing today is not good enough.

Moderator and Priest
    Went on Facebook again, cuz I hate myself. People are savaging the local news stations, telling them it's politically motivated fake news, and to quit spreading fear whenever they post a story about the number of new virus cases, or give suggestions on how to stay safe. Some of them are talking about how they're still going to do whatever they want to do, because it's just like the flu, and they haven't gotten sick in years.

So yeah, we're about to get fucked. Hard.

It's A flu but NOT LIKE the flu. It's only killing your lungs DIRECTLY.
    With no vaccine and no certain cure/therapy, life support apart, until your immune system can crack the code AND until your inflammatory response doens't help the virus destroying the lung tissue.

Moderator and Priest
    Oh, I'm well aware of what it is and what it does. It's just that there are a lot of dipshits out there who aren't, and they're gonna get it, then they'll run around blaming everyone else when their PRECIOUS BABIES can't get a bed in an ICU ward due to all the other dipshits not taking it seriously and getting sick themselves.

Moderator and Priest

We're grade A prime cut straight up fucked.

Thankfully, that particular brand of lunacy is less common over here. Thank God for small mercies I guess.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Went on Facebook again, cuz I hate myself. People are savaging the local news stations, telling them it's politically motivated fake news, and to quit spreading fear whenever they post a story about the number of new virus cases, or give suggestions on how to stay safe. Some of them are talking about how they're still going to do whatever they want to do, because it's just like the flu, and they haven't gotten sick in years.

So yeah, we're about to get fucked. Hard.
    this is MURIKA, where people riot because the team lost, hell morons riot because the team won, do you really want all these dipshits out there looting the shit out of the stores in a panic? mother fuckers would be stealing TV's & Dinning rooms like they did during the LA riots for "justice".
    in Murika, ignorance is the best approach. fucking dip shits right now are fighting over things they have to PAY for, imagine WTF is going to happen when they fight over "free shit " once the looting starts?

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post

440-399+66 (death / ex ICU)=105 new ICUs patients

No more acceleration in ICU! (153->105)

466-440+135 (death / ex ICU)=161 new ICUs patients

Man, 135 death in 1 day for the same shit.....(they of course pull the plug in ICU).

BANNED
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/new-...gnP7MBEVX1QRV0
    New York Gov. Cuomo deploys National Guard to New Rochelle, establishes containment center to stem coronavirus

LittleFlower
    It seems the number of infected in Italy didn't go up by much today. Maybe the lock-down is working.

That gives some hopes.
    Just lock down your country, wait until you get no new infections.
    Remove the lock-down.
    Wait till traveling tourists and business-people infect your country again.

Of course I don't know anything for sure. But we might need to have the whole world go in lock-down for a month or 2 before this is under control. That would be very interesting to see.

I'm not kidding. I just can't imagine another way to fix this. Look at illnesses like polio. How long did it take to really get that under control ? And we have vaccins for that. When you think we have the corona-virus under control, just a single person can (re-)infect a bunch of people again. And we start from scratch again.

The only way I see we get this under control is (as I've said before): 1) the infection spreads less aggressive during spring/summer, *and* 2) in the mean time someone finds a cure, a vaccine, or a decent/fast/cheap treatment for this.

BANNED
    we can't afford to be on lock down.

We don't know shit about immunological memory for this virus and its mutation capabilities.

The fact it's from the same family of the common cold and we can catch cold multiple times in a row is not reassuring.....

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    we can't afford to be on lock down.
    You'll be surprised what is possible.

We have the Internet today. That helps. Many people can work from home. If you want to be entertained, you can be entertained over the net for a long time. You can communicate with friends and family to make it less bad to stay at home for long period of time.

Of course part of the economy needs to keep running full-speed. And people need to leave their houses for that. The energy sector. Farmers. Shops. I'm not sure how the Chinese are doing their lockdowns, but I believe they have restrictions where every family can have one person go out once per week to do shopping. Maybe delivery of groceries can be increased. Half of the population does not work in the western world (elderly, kids, house-wives, unemployed, handicapped). No need for them to go outside. Of the working people, half of them do work that's useless anyway. They can stay at home too. It might be tricky to figure out how people can afford stuff, but I'm sure we can be creative. (I've read today that people in Italy are allowed to skip paying their mortgage this months).

As I've said, it's gonna be interesting to watch.

BANNED
    ok, those in retail- manufacturing -service among others can't afford to stay home .

Got tipped off this article on another forum where they said to go read the comments section: https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2020...just-the-flu/#

Holy shit:

Changed his dialogue on the virus overnight. Sounded like he was reading a memo from Paul Never-Trumper Ryan. Really disappointing.
    I quit watching Tucker since the virus started.

He is putting fear into America.

I cannot watch that garbage.

I have always enjoyed his show up until now.
    Good on Tucker. First he went after Sanger and now he's pissing off the Boomer NPCs. Dude is doing something right lately.

You'll be surprised what is possible.

We have the Internet today. That helps. Many people can work from home. If you want to be entertained, you can be entertained over the net for a long time. You can communicate with friends and family to make it less bad to stay at home for long period of time.
    That's an extremely sheltered opinion for reason jkcerda points out. White collar business and IT people can work from home. A lot of others can't.

Moderator and Priest
    I just got back from Rockmart, GA. Way out in the grand middle of freaking nowhere, though fairly close enough to Rome (where the Berry College eagles are!), which had a single coronavirus case pop up here a few days ago.

...or at least they did, until they reidentified as happening in one of the Atlanta suburbs.

Things were pretty normal there. People going around, doing their thing, occasionally bumming me for cigarettes which I don't have anymore since I quit 6 months ago. All in all, didn't seem much different.

Though when someone coughed, everyone would stop what they were doing, and wonder.

Moderator and Priest
    You all might think I'm being sarcastic with what I'm about to say, that I'm making light of a potentially bad situation. But I'm not...

Wanna know how I'm sure shit's about to get real? This is how.A Waffle House Has Closed Due To Coronavirus.

Waffle Houses don't just close, people. It takes a tremendous act of god for to lock its doors. The last time I saw my local Waffle House close was back in 2011, and that was because a goddamn EF4 tornado knocked it down. At the time, there were people freshly stuffed with food standing around in the parking lot filming the funnel cloud coming right towards them. I kid you not. I'll see if I can find that video on Youtube again.

So when a Waffle House closes, it's cause for concern. If 10 close, we can all pretty well consider ourselves fucked.

I felt miserable yesterday and this morning, but then I heard my coworkers also felt miserable, it was nausea (not flu-like), and it happened very rapidly, and then we realized we'd all probably just been food poisoned by the restaurant we ate at the night before. I have to say I was relieved.

Moderator and Priest
    Was the food good, at least?

You mean by standards of food that gives you food poisoning?

Moderator and Priest
    Some bad foods apparently taste pretty good. There's a whole cottage industry built around letting meat rot a bit, then selling it to people as "aged."

Plus, there have been times I've been food poisoned by a meal I actually enjoyed. Well, the first time, anyway. It wasn't as good coming back up.

Page 11 of 109 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516212631364146515661 ... LastLast