TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767727782879297102107112113114115116117
Results 2,901 to 2,914 of 2914

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

Wait, that is the choice the states are facing in the US? Either open all schools or none of them? You guys are more screwed than I imagined :/. Here I thought every state decided on a county by county basis where schools can reopen and under what circumstances. Like, as you mentioned, having very few cases for a period of time and getting testing and tracing capabilities to a level where outbreaks can be quickly and easily contained, and being able to take cross-border traffic into account.

Also, it looks like you really need some form of centralised institution to set guidelines and coordinate the response. Like some Headquarters for Illness Management and Avoidance or something.
    Last edited by Starker; 4th Aug 2020 at 15:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Wait, that is the choice the states are facing in the US? Either open all schools or none of them?
    No, not at all. But heywood's right that a lot of media (and politicians) are presenting the situation in that way. (I wouldn't be so quick to blame them, though; it's the general public that tends to hunger for oversimplified answers.) Legally speaking, the federal government has little authority over local districts. Such decisions are largely made at the state and local levels.

I don't think the states want to be in the position of making one-size-fits-all policies. But everyone demanded the states come up with a re-opening plan. I can't speak for all states, but in this region of the country (New England), when state guidelines were released around the end of June, they were mostly voluntary, in order to leave it up to the districts to tailor them to their own situation. That resulted in a backlash, especially from the teachers' unions, who wanted a common set of rules statewide and they wanted them to be mandatory. There were unhappy parents and a lot of media commentary complaining about it too. More recently, the largest teachers union nationally is threatening to strike, although most states don't allow teacher strikes or only allow them under certain conditions e.g. if they don't have a contract. So I don't think that's a credible threat, but in some states it might be.

There's also one important thing notably missing from the reopening guidelines released by states near me. There's no guidance to help districts assess the Covid-19 situation in their community and decide when it's safe to reopen and to what degree. Likewise, there's no guidance about how to respond to clusters of cases (only individual positives) or what conditions should trigger schools to close again. The assumption everyone is making is that the state will tell everyone when it's safe to open and if/when to close again.

Over the last week or two, I've seen and heard the topic of school reopening discussed and debated on various TV and radio news and current events programs. I've also read a number of opinion pieces. And like I was saying, the debate seems to be binary.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Not sure why I need an explanation, it is surely enough to know that X happens without knowing the precise mechanism.
    Nah bro, you don't get off that easily.

You need to explain your statement. I quoted you and asked about it after you posted your theory on the mechanism. Doesn't make sense to me. Please explain it.

Living in California, it's a bit weird to hear about state versus local in New England. My county is four times the size of Rhode Island.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Living in California, it's a bit weird to hear about state versus local in New England. My county is four times the size of Rhode Island.
    The guys up the road are trying to tell the people down the street how to live their lives!

In fairness, they've held a grudge since one of their ancestors pranked another on the Mayflower.

It's a different world from SoCal, that's for sure.

I'm not a New England native, so there's still some things about living here that I don't get. Number one is the prevalence of the "townie", i.e. someone who chooses to spend their life in the same town they grew up in, often the same neighborhood, and limit themselves to a very small circle of friends, often the same friends they had through their school years. But on the flip side, I like the fact that it's not a sea of sameness. Many New England towns have retained their individual character, history, and charm. You don't need to go very far at all to enjoy completely different culture, scenery, recreation, etc.

I imagine the former does a lot to feed into the latter.

Moderator and Priest
    Because of coronavirus, I did something I thought I'd never do.

I cut my own hair.

To my credit, it actually came out look like a haircut.

To my detriment, I look sorta like Richard Spencer now.

Is looking like Richard Spencer an improvement?

YES......................................NO
    Good jerb!............................WTF, dude!?

Moderator and Priest
    I cut it back a little bit. Now it looks like a high and tight with pretentions.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    And I think it's dangerous to assume that cardiovascular injury is a result of infection rather than a risk factor for it.
    Still waiting on further explanation of this.

Please be so kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Because of coronavirus, I did something I thought I'd never do.

I cut my own hair.
    I also did something I never thought I would do. Again. For the first time in 37 years my hair is past my ears and touching my back. I'm going hippy. I was hoping for Witcher but it is more Steve Perry after a hard night.

Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767727782879297102107112113114115116117