TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 118 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1868737883889398103108113114115116117118119120121122 LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3033

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

It seems it could be both a risk factor and a result. Especially since being infected once does not confer immunity.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    It seems it could be both a risk factor and a result.
    So having a cardiac event increases your risk of infection?

Pray tell how?

SJ: I was confusing risk of infection with risk from infection.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Another new vase with no known trace.

Chakat sex pillow
    I think we're all going to have to resign ourselves to the fact that this will keep happening, because there's always going to be a probability of people fucking up in any given population until we have something like a vaccine.

All we know at this point is that 4 people from the same family (including a toddler) are infected. The family have no link to any travel or with any links to primary infection sourced (airports, docks, quarantine hotels)

It's in my home town with family there now and I'm on the other side of the country. To say I'm worried/anxious is an understatement.

Chakat sex pillow
    I hear you, it's a pretty worrying situation, can't minimise that. However, given that we can't move around, the next step is to ensure everyone acts as responsibly and safely as possible -- easier said than done, I know. We can't do much except ensure we're limiting contact as much as possible regardless of how 'safe' everyone feels they are. And in my own family, we have at least one member who gives exactly zero fucks about that because he doesn't want to be cooped up at home.

Still Subjective
    On 30th July 2020 SD said:

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    And I think it's dangerous to assume that cardiovascular injury is a result of infection rather than a risk factor for it.

I mean, if we looked at all the people who have died with covid, then deduced that old age is a consequence of the infection, it would be self-evidently ridiculous.
    We still have no explanation for the emboldened section.

I'm still waiting.

Russia Approves Coronavirus Vaccine Before Completing Tests

According to news on the radio, Putin's daughter has also received the vaccine.

I see that Russian Roulette is still the national sport.

Large scale testing, public release, what's the difference, really?

In Soviet Russia, the vaccine tests you!

Hah, standard eastern devOps approach, testing in prod environment

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    We can't do much except ensure we're limiting contact as much as possible regardless of how 'safe' everyone feels they are. And in my own family, we have at least one member who gives exactly zero fucks about that because he doesn't want to be cooped up at home.
    Hah! Within minutes of the announcement, supermarkets that were open late were getting an influx of customers panic buying. Thank goodness New Zealand makes it's own toilet paper. I've still got yeast and some flour. So I can keep my mind busy baking.

On that subject. They were speculating on the news here that the new outbreak may have come from infected freight. I can't see any other way since no'ones travelled to/ from overseas recently.

That's scary. Well, it's scary to me precisely because it's unlikely - it contradicts most evidence on its spread.

More likely, IMO, is low-level infection. A few leaps of people with few or no symptoms can go a long way and be undetected for a long time.

But, if you want something even scarier... It could've gotten into the bat population, and then spread out and eventually back to humans. If that happens - and don't think it couldn't, bats are like that - it's truly here to stay.

In other news... A tale in two headlines:

June 19th LIST: Bars, gyms among facilities allowed to reopen on Oahu on Friday
    https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...n-oahu-friday/

August 10th Experts: COVID-19 is spreading in Hawaii at a faster rate than anywhere else in the nation
    https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...e-else-nation/

Almost exactly three weeks (2 weeks for infection to progress, 1 week for the trend to be established).

Speaking of mysterious surfacing of the virus. One of the fully random antibody testing study ended giving some hard facts. Don't have it handy, but can still convey some of the points - just without the numbers.

Many people never had any symptoms, but clearly were infected. They, with a bit of research, were able to infect others - but to a much-much smaller degree (ie. 0-1 infections over time - up to weeks).

I would say that gives ground, with a bit of luck, for the virus to stay hidden for very long time - even multiple months (even a mere 1 hop can be enough to stay hidden for an entire month!). That matches with our experience too as, before the recent flareup (*), there were plenty of new cases were no likely source could be found. I bet some of thous were from thous numerous hidden (and rarely reinfecting as the study shows) ones and not just due to contact tracing limitations.

*) Explosion in cases has been prevented so far and there is reasonable hope that it can be managed - at least we seem to be back to single digit cases per day (from peak of 22). IF that holds. Still a long way back to the much more confortable 0-2 cases per day we had.

edit. Speaking of the recent flareup: nightclubs are a terrible idea it seems (surprise, i know). Currently there are 37+21+19=77 cases traced back to just three nightclubs.
    Last edited by zombe; 13th Aug 2020 at 03:28.

On a positive note, observational data is starting to pretty strongly suggest that mask wearing makes for milder cases when you do get it:

https://link.springer.com/content/pd...20-06067-8.pdf

This isn't terribly surprising, as dose-effects are well-known in virology. Basically once you're infected, your immune system starts mounting a response and the virus starts replicating exponentially in a sort of race. A larger dose gives the virus a head start.

Still Subjective
    Don't let the MAH RAIGHTS group see that.

Or indeed our own SD.

14 new cases. *sigh*. At least they are from the same group. Now we've found out that they have been out of the Auckland and down to one of our touristy hot spots. We're going to pull a Victoria, Australia if this keeps up.

We're getting 300 a day in this city, and we're still considered one of the "lucky" countries. 14 is not the number where you start sighing.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Don't let the MAH RAIGHTS group see that.

Or indeed our own SD.
    In Tennessee they’re trying to make it so people who refuse to wear masks can be prosecuted for attempted murder the same way people who spread AIDS are.

Maybe we could extend that law to people like SD who are maliciously trying to kill more people by discouraging mask use.

Moderator and Priest
    Saying "Tennessee is trying to..." is a gross exaggeration. One Nashville Metro Council member stated she believes refusing to wear a mask in public should be treated as such, but it hasn't been taken up as an official policy.

So?

It’s a good idea and should be supported. And she’s a highly Respected member of the community with a lot of support.

Page 118 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1868737883889398103108113114115116117118119120121122 LastLast