TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 122 of 122 FirstFirst ... 22727782879297102107112117118119120121122
Results 3,026 to 3,046 of 3046

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

Still Subjective
    Concerning stuff.

Best to avoid getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    The current assumption is that the 2nd wave breaking out across Europe might be a less deadly strain. This, alongside the fact that doctors have a better understanding of the disease than they did 6 months ago, is why we're seeing less hospitalizations and deaths, despite the escalating numbers of infected.
    Well the second wave was FAR deadlier than the 1st over here in Victoria, Australia. We had something like 20 deaths in the 1st wave I think. Second we've had 730 so far. Big difference. One of the key differences between the 1st and 2nd was that it didn't get into the elderly population much during the 1st, but extensively did (due to infected staff working across several sites and not following correct PPE) in the second. Had FAR more of an anti-masker movement during the second. Been many violent protests occurring, met by an equal show of force and arrests by police.

On the positive end, we've gone from 700+ new infections per day to 30-45. So things are looking positive. When we have this beat the issue will be whether or not to let anyone outside of Australia in. High likelihood of travel between Australia and New Zealand coming about. Again that's still a while off.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    On the positive end, we've gone from 700+ new infections per day to 30-45.
    Thous are the numbers we are at (last 3 days: 36,22,36) - with a fraction of the population count (1.3M). Fueled by foreign travel and small local hotspots that pop up and promptly die out. A big percentage of positives come from people that already are under observation / self-quarantined. Currently there are 1955+485+135+42=2617 (4 regions) people under observation with 194+96+44+6=340 of them being ill (so, if you pardon my French "math", ~13% chance of getting it vs 1.6% of everyone being tested).

Fortunately/unfortunately - there are / have not been any out of control hotspots. Not much incentive to do anything more restrictive. Not getting worse nor better - yet. Essentially no-one wears a mask (i vaguely remember seeing one, but i might be misremembering). Relying on keeping ones distance and effective contact tracing / etc. Mandatory self quarantine for most European travellers (6 countries excepted from having to do any quarantine: Cyprus, Lithuania, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Finland and lol Vatican). So, yes, even the French can come if they do some self quarantining.

Speaking of French ... have they officially given up now? Adjusting to US population - they are getting 67000+ new cases per day in comparison.

LittleFlower
    Thing are getting out of hand again here in NL. Early july the numbers were way down. During only the last week, number of infections went from a few hundred per day to 2000 per day today.

Number of hospitalizations, ICU-intake and deaths are still way lower than what they were during spring. I thought that could be because we have less aggressive strains now. But that's not true. The virus is just as aggressive. It's just that doctors know better how to treat patients, there are better medicines, etc. And most new infections are young people, who are less likely to get severely ill.

I expect the whole situation to become a lot worse this winter. Partially because (younger) people are less careful now than they were in the spring. Let's hope we'll get vaccines soon.

Hope things improve worldwide. Until there is a working vaccine this is going to wreck the world. Going to be a very long road to recovery when it's all over.

OK, so according to that link, part of the problem in Covid patients seems to be part of the immune system attacking a different portion of the immune system, and as a result our immune system does jack shit to protect us. This eventually results in our immune system giving a hyper-inflammatory response, which kills us. I'm trying very hard to remember this is just biology, and not a metaphor for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatose View Post
    OK, so according to that link, part of the problem in Covid patients seems to be part of the immune system attacking a different portion of the immune system, and as a result our immune system does jack shit to protect us. This eventually results in our immune system giving a hyper-inflammatory response, which kills us. I'm trying very hard to remember this is just biology, and not a metaphor for anything.
    It's both

And back to lockdown in my area. Thanks to all the careless party people who made this possible

Yes, here the reins have been tightened as well. For the last couple of months I was allowed to work at the office again for a couple of days a week. Now for the next 3 weeks at least, that is no longer allowed, everyone who can reasonably do their job from home is now required to do so. So I'm stuck at my home office for the time being and will see my colleagues over MS Teams only. I suspect this will last longer than 3 weeks but we'll see.

Various other measures have also been taken, like bars/restaurants close at 10, no audience at sports matches, and the maximum amount of people allowed at a gathering has been reduced, among other things. It's too bad but it's necessary, we're on the brink of a second wave.

It looks like all of the countries in Europe who had a first wave in the spring are in or entering a second wave now. Fortunately, this one appears to be far less deadly than the first.

Still Subjective
    Let's wait and see.

LittleFlower
    In NL we haven't really done facemasks. Only in public transportation. (Which I've avoided like the plague since I bought my first car). You hardly see people in the street with a facemask. That might change soon.

I think the 2nd wave is going to infect many more people than the 1st wave we had in spring.
    So I'm thinking of buying one or two re-usable masks. Or a few onetime-use facemasks.
    Any recommendations ?

I'd prefer a re-usable mask. Maybe with throw-away filters, or something. If that exists.
    Not too uncomfortable. Not too expensive.
    Do those exist ? What should I look out for ?

I currently have three washable, reusable cloth masks. I tend to wear them for two days, since I only use them for my way to work and home again, which is 2x15 minutes. I find the cloth masks vastly preferable to the one-time use ones they sell at pharmacies, for instance, though I'm hoping to get another few masks so I don't always have to wash the whole set after a week or two.

While I found them somewhat uncomfortable at first (not enough to actively mind wearing one, mind you), it is largely a matter of getting used to it. By now there are whole stretches of time where I forget I'm wearing a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    In NL we haven't really done facemasks. Only in public transportation. (Which I've avoided like the plague since I bought my first car). You hardly see people in the street with a facemask. That might change soon.

I think the 2nd wave is going to infect many more people than the 1st wave we had in spring.
    So I'm thinking of buying one or two re-usable masks. Or a few onetime-use facemasks.
    Any recommendations ?

I'd prefer a re-usable mask. Maybe with throw-away filters, or something. If that exists.
    Not too uncomfortable. Not too expensive.
    Do those exist ? What should I look out for ?
    I've tried a few and was satisfied with the ones I got from mondkapje.com. They've got adjustable ear loop sizes and a metal strip at the nose to keep it tight there. Not suited for long beards though.

Oh wait he blocked me, right?

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    I've tried a few and was satisfied with the ones I got from mondkapje.com.
    Ah, thanks ! A dutch website. That might be exactly what I am looking for.

We've been required to wear masks at work since March, so I've gotten used to having them on up to 12 hours at a time. We also wear them when shopping, dropping off and picking up kids from school, and pretty much and time in public when you're around other people.

I've seen studies showing surgical masks are the most effective option short of N95. At work, they offer me a new surgical-like mask (if I want one) whenever I drive up to the gate, so that's what I used for a long time. But I've had trouble with glasses fogging when using that type of mask, and I need reading glasses to use my computer. I still use them in public, but now when I go to work I wear a three-layer fabric mask instead. Two and three layer fabric masks are available everywhere in all kinds of shapes, colors, and prints, with varying degrees of comfort and effectiveness. I prefer three-layer for the extra material and they're still easy to breath through. Most have pockets where you can insert a PM 2.5 carbon filter. I don't think the filters are all that effective because they are too resistant to airflow, so your breath just goes around them.

I suggest ordering a few different types and shapes to try, then pick the one that fits your face well and doesn't leave gaps around the edges.

And for people still wondering, masks do protect their wearers https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-mask-wearing

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Fortunately, this one appears to be far less deadly than the first.
    Treatment has substantially improved, but keep in mind that deaths trail detections by 3+ weeks, and further, that newer waves seem to spread through younger populations and then reach older family members, adding even more delay from the rise in cases to the rise in deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    And for people still wondering, masks do protect their wearers https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-mask-wearing
    Cum hoc ergo propter hoc.

Incidentally, my situation made the NYTimes, and a lot of other articles once you start looking into it
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/28/u...m-effects.html

I went for a long time wondering if it was just me, but it seems most people that go through what I went through wondered that, and it's turning out it's by far the majority situation (according to this article), I think even more than the acute symptomatic cases, since a lot of asymptomatic cases still get it; but I'd have to double check that.

The long haulers are now becoming a force, since there's so many of them and they're finding each other.

I think sometime next year the public will start coming around to the realization the major issue with this disease isn't the respiratory part or deaths, but up to 1/3 of people that get it having dysautonomia for month and months afterwards (it's not clear for how long since the first generation is still only ~7 months in), the major symptoms of which you see over and over are tachycardia spells (racing heartbeat), constant dizziness, brain fog (like Alzheimer's-light), and chronic fatigue, and then a mixed bag of all kinds of heart, lung, and neurological issues making no case exactly like another. On the surface it's not as headline-grabbing as the acute symptoms and deaths, but it may end up being the more socially disruptive part, since it affects basically everything people want to do for months and months on end.

Page 122 of 122 FirstFirst ... 22727782879297102107112117118119120121122