TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 257580859095100105110115120121122123124125
Results 3,101 to 3,120 of 3120

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

Or Day Yoos Ex. AFAIK that's the Latin pronunciation.

https://gamingtrend.com/news/how-to-pronounce-deus-ex/

I remember when Eidos Montreal first starting working on Human Revolution. They were calling it Dooz Ex. I cringed. Turned out OK though.
    Last edited by heywood; 23rd Oct 2020 at 17:47.

"Dude sex" - Khad

Dayus Ex is common among gamers, but quite often it's Douche Ex, Due Sex, Do Sex... I think I've heard about every conceivable pronunciation by people trying to say deus ex machina in literature classes. Most often it's the Italians (of course) and the French who get it right.

Someone gets it right in this video, though, eventually. https://youtu.be/sW9cmARl8uk?t=55

Oh, and here's how Italians pronounce it: https://forvo.com/word/deus_ex_machina/#it

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Oh, and here's how Italians pronounce it: https://forvo.com/word/deus_ex_machina/#it
    You need to use more hands.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    Weird. I've only ever heard it pronounced 'Dayus Ex'.
    Sorry, I was joking. I thought 20 years after release, everyone here knows how to pronounce it. I should have added the sentence: "Fucking casuls !", to make it clear.

I've had 6 years of Latin in high school. Latin is a dead language, so nobody learns to speak it. And nobody has heard how to pronounce it for over a thousand years. We can only guess. There's Church Latin (Roman Catholics), but that has its own pronunciation, I've been told. On top of that, I was terrible at Latin. Really terrible. So you don't need to believe what I'm writing here.

I learned that the "u" in Latin is pronounced the same way as "oo" in the English word "moose".
    Like the Germans pronounce their "u". (The Dutch "u" is more like the German "Ł").
    The one guy in that yt-movie that knows how to pronounce Deus Ex seems to be German. Not a coincedence.

The 2 syllabes "de" and "us" are certainly pronounced as 2 separate syllabes. (And yep, I think the plural of syllable should be syllabi).
    I think "de" is pronounced like the English word "day".
    I agree mostly with Harvester. But I think the "y" or "j" in front of the "oo" should hardly be hearable.

I think the Italian guy has it right.
    https://forvo.com/word/deus_ex_machina/#it
    He pronounces the "ch" in "machina" as if it was a "g".
    All the others (Russian, Argentina, Brazil, UK, USA) pronounce the "ch" as if it was a "k".
    I think that's wrong.
    Not 100% sure. But pretty sure. I have some small doubts, because in Dutch we always pronounce "ch" as "g".
    But remember, Italian is like Latin version 2.
    So I think the Italian guy knows best.

Didn't you gals and guys get Latin in high school ?
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 23rd Oct 2020 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    I've had 6 years of Latin in high school.
    That's a lot of high school.

You guys didn't get Latin in high school ?
    I think we had the option of setting up an elective course in the last year, but if fell through for some reason or other. I did study it later in the uni, though, as it was required for English majors.

I think the Italian guy has it right.
    He pronounces the "ch" in "machine" as if it was a "g".
    Almost all the other pronounce the "ch" as it was "k".
    I think that's wrong.
    Not 100% sure. Because in Dutch we always pronounce "ch" as "g".
    But remember, Italian is like Latin version 2.
    So I think the Italian guy knows best.
    It's k, but aspirated, so it sounds a bit different.
    Last edited by Starker; 23rd Oct 2020 at 20:52.

LittleFlower
    That's a lot of high school.
    Skip the next paragraph if Dutch school's don't interest you.

In NL we have multiple types of high school. We don't even call it high school, that's an English word. We have/had 3 streams. A 4-year stream (12y - 16y) that focuses on practical jobs. Learn to make things with your hands. E.g. become a car mechanic. There's a 6-year stream (12y - 18y) that prepares you to go to university. And there's a 5-year stream in between (12y - 17y). That prepares you for "higher education". But that's not university. You can become a teacher, an accountant, computer-engineer, etc.

The 6-year stream comes in 2 varieties: one with the classical languages (greek and latin) (called gymnasium), and one without (called atheneum). For the rest they are the same. I was dumb enough to pick the one with greek and latin. I had 3 hours per week of greek in class 2 and 3. And 5 or 6 hours of latin during every year. A total waste of time. Languages are not my thing.

I asked whether none of you had Latin in school, so I could later make a joke about education in the US. And how the US is a shithole country. I guess I can't make that joke any more now.

It's k, but aspirated, so it sounds a bit different.
    Are you sure ? I'm not convinced. Any sources ?

Not sure about a source, but Latin words with the letter combination ch come from Greek where the letter X (chi) was pronounced as an aspirated k.

Actually, here's one answer I found though quick googling:

https://www.italki.com/question/456480?hl=en

In classical Greek, character χ represented the sound "kh" (the sound of "k" followed by breathing noise). I think it was Romans who transliterated the Greek character as "ch" but the idea is the same because ancient Romans pronounced letter "c" as "k". That's how we have spellings like "technique", which is based on the Greek word τϵχνη (techne), "character", "mechanical", etc. So, the Greek name χι of letter χ is transliterated to "chi" and pronounced "kai".
    Oh, and it's also in the Wikipedia (the small superscript h after the k marks aspiration): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_...of_orthography
    Last edited by Starker; 23rd Oct 2020 at 21:20.

I think "de" is pronounced like the English word "day".
    I agree mostly with Harvester. But I think the "y" or "j" in front of the "oo" should hardly be hearable.
    Youíre right, itís more like Day Oos Ex than Day Yoos Ex.

I dropped the classical languages after the third year of VWO (the 6 year track) by the way, so Iíve had two years of Latin and one year of Greek.

Still Subjective
    6 years is a lot of high school?!

I'm kind of jealous now, but to be honest I don't think I would have appreciated it nearly as much in high school. I didn't really get anywhere with languages until I started to study them by myself. In the uni, though, I took as many as I could fit in the schedule -- German, Latin, and English (the obligatory ones), plus Japanese, Chinese, and French on top of that. I wanted Korean too, but I never could find the time.

If I live long enough, I'd like to learn all the Romance languages at least, but now I'm wondering just how easy would it be to pick up Dutch with the languages I know. A lot of the words look awfully similar to either German or English and if I look at written Dutch, I feel like can almost, but not quite, understand it.

LittleFlower
    Dutch, English and German are very similar. They are all three Germanic languages. So once you get used to Dutch words and Dutch pronunciation, it should be relatively easy to understand written text, and maybe even understand spoken language. However, the irregularities, and the differences between the 3 languages are gonna be what will keep you from becoming good. Unless you live here for many years.

I'm a guy of semantics. I am interested in what is being said. Not how it is being said. Language is just syntax. A different notation for the ideas and stories people tell. But I can understand that others enjoy listening or speaking another language.

Via exorbito sequela, vulgus.

Latin was an option when I was in school, but few people opted for it because it's pointless.
    So I spent 4 years learning German instead, which was equally pointless.
    I should have taken Spanish. That I could actually use.

My daughter's school is teaching Mandarin starting in Kindergarten. That seems like a smart idea.

Still Subjective
    I look at written Dutch, I feel like can almost, but not quite, understand it.
    Yeah, it does seem that way. Should look at Afrikaans too.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Latin was an option when I was in school, but few people opted for it because it's pointless.
    So I spent 4 years learning German instead, which was equally pointless.
    I should have taken Spanish. That I could actually use.

My daughter's school is teaching Mandarin starting in Kindergarten. That seems like a smart idea.
    If you'd learnt Latin then you'd find Spanish easier, no? Not that it's especially hard for an English speaker though. Not compared to French or something.

Mandarin... spoken, it's a fine idea and far, far easier than you might think. But to learn it properly, ie. to learn to read it? Nah. What a waste of time. You'd be better off learning Spanish and Italian, which you could do in the same amount of time. Mandarin is due a major overhaul of the writing, just for practical sake.

Positive news over here in Victoria, Australia where we've finally conquered a second wave of the virus. Zero new cases. Was 700+ per day back in August. All lockdown measures removed. Happy day.

If you go hard on this thing you can beat it. If you put money and businesses first then it's the opposite.

Last edited by icemann; 26th Oct 2020 at 06:43.

Speaking of which ...

What is the approach France has taken? The situation does not even seem to slow down. Latest is 52K cases in a day (adjusting to US pop count it would be 268K cases per day).

It seems like the whole Europe, after enjoying the long time of low case counts, is having a hard time to readjust out of the happy times. What happened? Is the political will gone? People just absolutely unwilling to let go of the happy times?

US never had the lul of happy times and consequently never needed to starkly readjust. Seems to give them a huge advantage comparatively speaking (ie. the situation is still shit there, just a lot better than here).

Situation in our little country is "under control" - meaning that it is technically not out of control, but at very unstable levels. Looking at the rest of EU and the increasing imported cases - it seems certain where this will go. Seems that is the thought in our governmental health board - they recently sent blind e-mail to citizens (in thee languages) to explain things and give tips of do's and don'ts.

edit: um, since one of the languages, of course, is English ... why not just copy pasta it here. Might be of interest to some:

Dear Estonian resident,

We are sending you the most important information on the coronavirus.
    Coronavirus spreads from person to person via droplets, mainly in close contact
    with an infected person. The most common symptoms are *headache, stuffy or runny
    nose, cough, fatigue, muscle pain, runny nose, sore throat* and *fever*. In
    severe cases, one might develop *breathing difficulties, chest pains* and
    *problems with speech* and *movement*.

It is characteristic of the coronavirus that an infected person may be
    contagious several days before symptoms appear. You may spread the virus without
    knowing it, and later it is often impossible to identify who you met during the
    infectious period. The elderly and people with weakened immune systems are at
    higher risk from the coronavirus.

In order to protect yourself, your family, friends and colleagues, you can take
    simple steps that have a big impact:

1. *Keep your distance!* The best way to prevent infection is to keep a safe
    distance from others (at least 2 meters). This makes it less likely for
    invisible droplets from the infected person to reach you. In enclosed
    spaces, it is best to keep your group as small as possible and spread out.

*Download the mobile app HOIA to your phone via Google Play
    <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ee.tehik.hoia&fbclid=IwAR0aeS5CQ79sOmvhK0yEKbtokwsWSThEdRnN8r5XJq2KfNK1we2icRVEqe4>
    or App Store
    <https://apps.apple.com/app/id1515441601?fbclid=IwAR0aeS5CQ79sOmvhK0yEKbtokwsWSThEdRnN8r5XJq2KfNK1we2icRVEqe4>!*
    The app warns you when you have been in close contact with an infected
    person. The app also allows you to notify others anonymously if you have
    fallen ill. Using the app is private and secure. The notifications sent do
    not tell when, for how long and where the app user came in contact with an
    infected person; therefore, it is not possible to identify that person. This
    information is not available to the government, developer of the app, mobile
    phone manufacturer or any other app user.

For security reasons, HOIA use is restricted to phones manufactured in the
    last five years. Therefore, all Android phones that support Android 6.0
    operating system and all Apple phones that support iOS 13.5 operating system
    (from iPhone 6S) are compatible. Find out more about the HOIA app on the
    website *www.hoia.me/en <https://www.hoia.me/en>*. A timely warning can save
    someone's life. We recommend everyone to download the application.

3. *Stay at home if you are ill or a close contact of an infected person!* If
    you are ill or you have been in close contact with an infected person, stay
    at home. If you suspect that you have the coronavirus, call your family
    doctor or the family doctors' hotline 1220 and ask for advice. If necessary,
    the doctor will refer you to coronavirus testing. If you suspect infection,
    do not go to the emergency room, as you may pose a risk to others.
    4. *Wear a mask!* The mask should cover both the nose and mouth.Make sure that
    your family members always have a mask with them as well.
    5. *Wash your hands!* The risk of infection to yourself and your close ones can
    be significantly reduced by washing hands carefully and often. Avoid
    touching your mouth, nose and eyes with unwashed hands. Greet people without
    shaking hands.

The Estonian Health Board
    www.terviseamet.ee/en <https://www.terviseamet.ee/en>

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Positive news over here in Victoria, Australia where we've finally conquered a second wave of the virus. Zero new cases. Was 700+ per day back in August. All lockdown measures removed. Happy day.
    Took you long enough

We've also just had a large sci fi convention the weekend just gone. So if we get more community cases here, you know why

I'm sure many would be happy to have the NZ vs Australia Rugby matches again. Not big on the sport myself. More an AFL person, but some good rivalry never hurts.

Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 257580859095100105110115120121122123124125