TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 287883889398103108113118123124125126127128
Results 3,176 to 3,192 of 3192

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

I've been eating vitamin D like m&ms for months, the sun shines from my arse now. Still got autumn depression. But if it helps against Covid, that's nice.
    I also read that my blood group is the least likely to get infected. With that and the D I figure that I'm basically immune.

Tempting fate, there.

I'm kidding, but I know several people who separately and retrospectively came up with the idea that their minor February cold might/must have been Covid. So they would be immune now. Wishful thinking against the fact, that there were no infections here back then. Understandable, but still.

I'm telling you man, magnesium. Only 2% of Covid cases are lethal in the acute stage, and ~15% severe cases, or I should say non-mild, where the vitamin D matters. But 40% of cases develop long covid symptoms, dwarfing that number, where magnesium matters. I mean, you can take both.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    ...I know several people who separately and retrospectively came up with the idea that their minor February cold might/must have been Covid.
    Me, too. Practically a pandemic in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    I'm kidding, but I know several people who separately and retrospectively came up with the idea that their minor February cold might/must have been Covid. So they would be immune now. Wishful thinking against the fact, that there were no infections here back then. Understandable, but still.
    Not really retroactively on my part, as I thought at least of the possibility back then already. Data points in favour include dry cough, loss of taste and smell, and the fact that I got tested for regular seasonal flu (tests for covid weren‘t available back then, unless you were severely ill already), which came back negative. Not exactly a watertight case to be sure, and I‘ve never been really convinced it was Covid.

That being said, you can’t claim as fact that there were no covid cases back then when nobody really got tested.

Didn’t they find it in sewage samples from December and January in a bunch of cities?

Yeah I googled that. MSNC says it was in Italy in December, and because they’re a news outlet that believes in science and facts I’m OK believing what they say.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...im/ar-BB15IT8S

And you all should probably be supplementing magnesium anyway and not because of COVID. Most Americans are deficient and it’s crucial to good sleep.

You're right, hopper. It's not a fact I can prove, it's just unlikely. The people I mentioned also haven't tried to prove that they are immune, although they could easily do so.
    And none of them seemed entirely convinced either. They're still wearing masks etc. They just have a strong motivation to believe they are immune (and talk about this belief), as a way of softening/relieving the fear of infection.

We don't know much about long-term immunity after infection but we already know that antibody counts drop rapidly after 3 months and while it's not the complete picture, antibody decline is correlated with immunity decline for most illnesses; IMO until better evidence comes out everyone should treat covid-19 as seasonal and assume they have the same risk of getting infected again 10 months after a previous infection (if we are talking about February).

It is possible I got it in early March (change in sense of smell, strongest fever I ever had, joint and body pains), I was taking it easy afterwards for a couple months but I've been in full paranoia mode again since July.

Yeah, the time-limited immunity would match the pattern for other coronaviruses as I understand it. Another reason why getting a vaccine is only half the battle, arguably the harder part is making sure governments don't treat it as a silver bullet and end up weakening the other measures enough that the virus can't be completely eliminated.

Went out today and where I'd usually see 1-2 people in a group of 20 with a mask, today it was more like 80%, maybe even higher. Perhaps the huge increase in cases scared people straight or maybe it was the fact that masks will become mandatory in public indoor spaces next week.

As of yesterday, my state finally has a mask mandate. We were the last state in the Northeastern part of the US to do so.

Previously, we did have a lot of places that required masks: restaurants, bars, supermarkets, retail chain stores, auto dealers, libraries, town halls, etc. But otherwise it was voluntary. I always made a note of how many masks I saw when I stopped to fuel up or go on a beer run, and how many I saw outside in public places like walking trails, parks, and sidewalks in town.

A couple of months ago, the vast majority of people were wearing them voluntarily. I'd say something like 80%. But that started to drop off in October. I don't know if it had anything to do with the election, but as we got close to election day there seemed to be more people complaining about wearing masks. And over the last two weeks, voluntary mask wearing dropped WAY off. Meanwhile, our case curve started turning into a hockey stick in October, shooting up exponentially. We now have as many people in hospitals as we did at the beginning of June.

So right when people should have been responding to the case growth by being more diligent with wearing masks and sanitizing, they did the opposite. People are just fucking stupid. That's the number one lesson learned in 2020.

We're coming up on Thanksgiving, which is a holiday where families come together for a celebratory meal. There's usually a lot of travel. But we have travel restrictions all over the place now. I can't take my wife and kids to her sister's place which is an hour's drive away. That's where most of our family will be. A neighboring state, Vermont, just banned multi-household gatherings in general. I don't know how they could ever enforce that, but it indicates how bad things are getting. We're rapidly headed towards another stay at home order.

It feels like 98% in Japan. Every once in a while I'll see someone without a mask, almost always an older man, and sometimes a homeless looking guy. I still rarely go downtown, so don't have a sense of if it's increasing or not. But I do get the feeling people have made it so much a part of their day-to-day life that it's just taken for granted now. We started getting our highest numbers ever since the beginning this last week (peaking over 500 a day in Tokyo some days), and that may have something to do with it too.

I'm also starting to get flare ups of long convid like symptoms. I don't think I've re-caught it. I'm reading in the long covid groups I'm in that one can expect flare-ups at the 7~8 month period in. It's a really weird scene. Basically, these groups are the front line of understanding this disease over the long haul, because they're gathering systematic data over large groups, and translating it into a narrative form that you see over and over so many times you start to pick up on how it works, and there are a few medical types that know how to translate the narratives to the biological mechanisms. It's a lot to do with dysatonomia, which has the flavor of post-virus autonomic troubles generally, but post covid dysatonomia is a beast all to itself.

But what I meant by "front lines" is, nobody really knows what's coming month to month, except when it happens, the first line of people that caught it will start reporting each consecutive stage, and then you'll see waves of people repeating the line as it spreads through the community. That's the part that's kind of surreal to me to watch. I mean it's surreal to me because of how often my case is following the same lines that are being collectively charted out because I'm also part of that first wave of cases.

I'm angry at my government more than anything. Already in March they made mistakes and failed to take preventative measures, even though there was plenty of forewarning based on what was happening in Italy. Now there is no excuse, though. And it's not much better across the EU either. It's as if March never happened:

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Went out today and where I'd usually see 1-2 people in a group of 20 with a mask, today it was more like 80%, maybe even higher. Perhaps the huge increase in cases scared people straight or maybe it was the fact that masks will become mandatory in public indoor spaces next week.
    As it happens, today was our bulk shopping day - looked like ~50% here. Which is promising given our location. I expect that to be sufficient for peer pressure to take effect especially as it also lessens resistance from perceived awkwardness of having to wear masks. We ourselves only today got our new masks (took unexpectedly long to arrive for some reason) - as there was little incentive to even have any before (except at the time of the initial total lock-down when we did use them). Far from population centers and in the least hit side of the country.

This is better than i expected. Guess we will see in two weeks time. Currently still breaking records, but it could be worse - a lot worse.

I remember the time Estonia rose past top 10 worst hit countries/territories (adjusted for pop) in the world (!) - then reaching 7th (!!). That was weird to see. Unfortunately, i do not remember if we reached 5th - i think not, but not actually sure about that. Currently we are the 4th least hit country/territory (when ignoring countries/territories with less than 200K pop) in Europe (total of 39 having above 200K pop). Behind Finland, Norway and Latvia.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Battle of the vaccines now.

Everyone will have an opinion. You can bet some want one and not the other.
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...s-transmission

Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 287883889398103108113118123124125126127128