TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 20 of 122 FirstFirst ... 5101516171819202122232425303540455055606570120 ... LastLast

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

That and throw out all those filthy foreigners aye?

Moderator and Priest
    They just make me so mad...

What I'm seeing now from right-wingers on Facebook is the idea that all these closures are a violation of the constitutional right to assembly.

...I assume these people also claim that yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre is protected speech.

Moderator and Priest
    There's no clause in the Constitution stating that all these privately owned places of business have to stay open to allow them to exercise their right to free assembly. They can go hang out in a field or something. No one's stopping them.

Over here most places have been closed, and meetings of 500+ people are banned. At my work at the university we went back to work finally, only to be told at the end of the day that all classes for the rest of the week have been cancelled without pay. Meh .

Likely going online only (via Zoom) from next week onward.

If the state is ordering private places to shut down, and for public places being shut down, they'd have a prima facie claim. (They wouldn't if the private places were voluntarily shutting down, unless the restrictions were discriminatory, like whites can come on in but not blacks, but that's not the issue here.)

But even if they brought such a claim under the First Amendment, they'd lose because it's a legitimate restriction that's necessary to meet a compelling public interest. (The analysis would differ a little between Civil Law proportionality analysis, if we're talking about a civil law country doing it, and Common Law/US Constitutional Law category-based analysis, if we're talking about the UK or US or another common law country doing it, but it's the basically the same punchline with same result in different words.)

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    Nickie. keeping it to the numbers just to try and keep the panic down a bit, I am well aware those numbers are loved ones to many and this is affecting them greatly.
    OK, but I don't see anyone panicking here. I will admit to feeling vulnerable and a bit scared yesterday when I woke with a sore throat and it was 5 days since I'd last been out - to my doctor's practice and we know they're a hotbed of germs. I haven't had a sore throat in as long as I can remember. 3000mg of vitamin C spread throughout the day sorted it out. Phew!

Edit. Well done Woolworths in Australia for instituting a dedicated shopping hour for the elderly and people with disabilities.

Second that. Very good thing by them. The elderly and those with disabilities were really suffering through all this madness.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    3000mg of vitamin C spread throughout the day sorted it out. Phew!
    From what I've heard, there is only so much vitamin C a human body can absorb -- up to 200mg per day is absorbed completely, depending on the person. If you take more than that, the body will actually start doing worse at absorbing it and about 2 grams is supposed to be the safe limit that doesn't cause any side effects like kidney stones.
    Last edited by Starker; 16th Mar 2020 at 07:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    From what I've heard, there is only so much vitamin C a human body can absorb -- up to 200mg per day is absorbed completely, depending on the person. If you take more than that, the body will actually start doing worse at absorbing it and about 2 grams is supposed to be the safe limit that doesn't cause any side effects like kidney stones.
    Exactly.

DO NOT OVERDO.

LittleFlower
    I wonder how long the exponential grow keeps going. If you look at countries, the grow is almost the same everywhere. I see the same growth also on a smaller scale. E.g. in the village where I grew up 5k people), there was an early infection. Maybe 2 weeks ago. Now they are at 20 infections. In the village where I currently live (12k people), we had our first infection exactly 1 week ago (on Monday), 3 infections on Wednesday, 5 on Friday, 6 on Saturday, and we are at 10 infections today. Still faster than doubling every 3 days.

Now that we've closed so many things (schools, restaurants, bars, many shops, people working from home), I wonder when the exponential factor goes down. E.g. doubling only once per week, doubling only once per month, and then maybe total numbers decreasing.

Oh, another fact that came out this weekend in NL. We got 50 people in ICU. But half of them are under 50 years old. We even have at least 1 patient in ICU that is only 16 years old. (You have to pay attention to the wording. Not all facts are given out just like that. I think we have more than 1 teenager in ICU).

Yeah, it seems the age in ICU is going down here in Italy too. Not teeneger but 40 yo.
    Last edited by lowenz; 16th Mar 2020 at 12:03.

LittleFlower
    I just read that Italy is expecting the number of new infections per day (which has been going up so far), to plateau this week. I hope it does. I guess that means that we (in NL) might have to wait 1-2 weeks to see the same. Italy's full-country lockdown only started 1 week ago. (It seems a lot longer, tbh. Oh, I see some places in Lombardy started with lockdowns on February 21st. 3.5 Weeks ago).

BANNED
    well for one lets not put ALL our manufacturing eggs in one infected country.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...0ZI4R?ocid=sf2
    “I would veto anything that delays providing the security and the certainty of health care being available now,” Biden responded.

“You got to look at the cost. I want to know how did they find $35 trillion,” in the event the legislation passed by “some miracle, if some epiphany occurred,” Biden said.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    I just read that Italy is expecting the number of new infections per day (which has been going up so far), to plateau this week. I hope it does. I guess that means that we (in NL) might have to wait 1-2 weeks to see the same. Italy's full-country lockdown only started 1 week ago. (It seems a lot longer, tbh. Oh, I see some places in Lombardy started with lockdowns on February 21st. 3.5 Weeks ago).
    Codogno city and the towns around.

Moderator and Priest
    That's a good video, JK. It shows how we should be treating this. No panic, just prep up, exercise some caution, and ride it out.

Also, don't lick strangers.

BANNED
    well that is bullshit, this is Murika, I'll lick all the strangers I want cause it's the land of the free................**** caresses imaginary mullet*********

Moderator and Priest

BANNED
    (Meme removed)

RIGHT now goal is to flatten the curve to the infection rates, so with that in mind going to keep my midget ass home and work on ground school for my pilots Lic online IF we do end up in forced quarantine.

Moderator and Priest
    That's the kind of get up and go attitude we need more of in this country!

Moderator and Priest
    Dow Jones is down again.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    There's no clause in the Constitution stating that all these privately owned places of business have to stay open to allow them to exercise their right to free assembly. They can go hang out in a field or something. No one's stopping them.
    In Maryland, it is now illegal for more than 50 people to assemble out in a field or wherever, and the governor has made it clear that police will be employed to enforce the policy if necessary. Not just in private places, it's straight-up banned to gather in public.

Not that I'm chafing at the imposition of such restrictions, but I'd be really curious to learn more about the legalities behind what seems, on the face of it, to be a suspension of the Constitutionally-protected right to assembly.

BANNED
    goodbye st amendment.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Not that I'm chafing at the imposition of such restrictions, but I'd be really curious to learn more about the legalities behind what seems, on the face of it, to be a suspension of the Constitutionally-protected right to assembly.
    I believe it's been argued that Constitutional rights can be suspended while in the midst of one of these For The Greater Good type situations, provided it isn't being used to unduly burden any specific groups of people, nor enacted for any extended period of time.

There's one specific case I'm thinking of here, but hell if I can remember any of the fine details. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Page 20 of 122 FirstFirst ... 5101516171819202122232425303540455055606570120 ... LastLast