TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 22 of 93 FirstFirst ... 27121718192021222324252627323742475257626772 ... LastLast

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post

The definition of "to feel powerless".
    It reminds me of the lovecraftian horror of "Amnesia - A Machine for Pigs"

+180 deaths (well, they finally go down)
    900 ICU.....900!
    Last edited by lowenz; 17th Mar 2020 at 14:49.

Can somebody explain the UK's strategy?

With COVID-19, there's no vaccine coming for a while, and we don't know how long immunity lasts after infection. Even if it's on the long side, like SARS, you need 60-80% of the population to be infected and recover before herd immunity starts to provide protection. So by the time the virus has spread widely enough for herd immunity to be a factor, haven't you already infected most of the people you were hoping protect in the first place?

Also, what if you take this risk and immune response ends up something like influenza, where immunity after infection doesn't last long enough to prevent the next seasonal outbreak, and vaccine isn't all that effective?

And how can a "delay" strategy work without effective social distancing, including closures? We now have several counter-examples suggesting it can't.

Genuine questions here. It seems batshit.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    They've changed strategies recently, haven't they? They were originally going for the herd immunity angle, but have since decided against it due to the projected number of deaths that strategy would entail.

Now I dunno what they're doing. Probably the social distancing thing we are here.

Most stuff is closed and everything is cancelled. Aside from that I think mostly they've been doing the standard UK government method of dealing with a bad number being bigger than you want it to be by counting it differently
    Numbers are available here if you're interested.
    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...0b19484dd4bb14
    updated late afternoon daily to 9am data

'Course, the UK had a big Stereophonics concert just a few days ago.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90477940...qB2XMRswCAql9Y
    These Good Samaritans with a 3D printer are saving lives by making new respirator valves for free

Moderator and Priest
    See, that's rad. We need more radness up ins.

Found a *live* feed for infection rate

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Man, this is surreal, like a bad dream. Elder people around here are dropping like flies and their younger caregivers (50 yo) are in ICU after getting infected by them!
    Medics and nurses too.
    Ugh... I'm one of the elders and don't wanna hear it!

So far the only contacts I (don't even) make these days are the Instacart shopper/driver leaving any suspect pawprints on my groceries on the back porch, when I've made a regular re-up on fresh produce.

But I wash hands after bringing the stuff in and figure hey I'm gonna wash the veggies, peel them, cook them.. and if a veggie can take that joke and still stand up to peg a live virus at me, it's the winner this time around.

Still I must not be tired of living: Every time I get a twinge of Trump-stress headache or sneeze at the thought of pollen season soon to launch, I think oh noes!, the coronavirus!!, and I eat another half an orange or drink another 8oz water or resort to the kill-all strategy of 1/2 cup cold black coffee. That one I used to deploy routinely when I was in my 30 and ignoring all best practices on how to live a healthy life. I prefer hot coffee w/ milk in it now but that gig of 1/2 cup of cold black leftover sludge is like some kind of placebo for me... still works on the common cold virus at least.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    See, the thing is, UK is run by a bunch of callous bastards to whom avoidable deaths are an acceptable policy.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeMaker View Post
    So far the only contacts I (don't even) make these days are the Instacart shopper/driver leaving any suspect pawprints on my groceries on the back porch, when I've made a regular re-up on fresh produce.
    I've been at this for 4 days now, and already I feel the walls closing in on me. I hear the sounds of children playing off the distance.

...what's that? A dog barking?
    Are the children playing with the dog?
    OH, WHAT FUN THEY MUST BE HAVING!

Listen. I need to get out of the house. I think I'm gonna walk in the woods or something. I don't care if it's 10PM. I need to get out.

Well, if that doesn't sound like the start of a Freddy Krueger movie...

Moderator and Priest
    It's the woods, Starker. That's straight up Friday the 13th. Freddy Krueger stalks your dreams, stoopid.

Good god, I shouldn't have to explain this shit you. You're like, what? 54? You should know this!

They finally closed the beaches in Florida

The Florida snow birds will be headed back to Canada and northern states. This was 3 days ago.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to get corona'd out, from hearing nothing but corona virus stuff constantly for the past month or so. And now with many of us stuck working at home, while the world goes crazy.

Moderator and Priest
    Ditto. I wanna go outside.

LittleFlower
    I noticed this afternoon I was also getting tired of hearing about the outbreak.
    And there are still so many people who do the dumbest things. It's depressing.

So maybe you guys (and gals) will enjoy this little song.
    With enhanced visuals:

Looks like the Aussies have this outbreak shitshow figured out:

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    See, the thing is, UK is run by a bunch of callous bastards to whom avoidable deaths are an acceptable policy.
    Brexit'ing the sick and the elderly?

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to get corona'd out, from hearing nothing but corona virus stuff constantly for the past month or so.
    You are very much in the wrong thread, then.

If you think it's bad now, if this thing cracks 100,000 in a given country then R0 is really going to rear his ugly head and it's going to start being in your area like hide yo kids hide yo wife hide yo husbands cause they killin errybody out here. We still have another month before we know. If it hits a million in the month after that, God help us in the month following that. One way or another, by the end of June we should know what we're dealing with on the cosmic scale.

In related news, a man in my train car this morning, actually I'm not sure what happened because I didn't see the start of it. I think he fainted (later he was pointing to his head as if he hit it), and then somebody sat him down and triggered the alarm when we reached the station, which went on blaring as this all went down. Then the police entered, somebody pointed to the guy, and then they started demanding he get out, the equivalent of "Please exit the train, sir!", which he didn't want to do, and after maybe three times asking, they they literally dragged him out, sat him down outside, and started grilling him. It was intense. I don't think it had to do with the virus, but I don't think it mattered. This is our world now.
    Last edited by demagogue; 18th Mar 2020 at 00:57.

Well my plan for the next month is to just stay at home, find a good long game to play and only go out for exercise and supplies and that's it.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    This is our world now.
    It's our world for the next little bit or so, anyway.

I always feel the need to reiterate that this isn't the end of the world. Things will get better. But we do have a couple-three really shitty months to get through before we're on the other side of it.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Well my plan for the next month is to just stay at home, find a good long game to play and only go out for exercise and supplies and that's it.
    I'm 4 days into mine. It's not as fun as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    In related news, a man in my train car this morning, actually I'm not sure what happened because I didn't see the start of it. I think he fainted (later he was pointing to his head as if he hit it), and then somebody sat him down and triggered the alarm when we reached the station, which went on blaring as this all went down. Then the police entered, somebody pointed to the guy, and then they started demanding he get out, the equivalent of "Please exit the train, sir!", which he didn't want to do, and after maybe three times asking, they they literally dragged him out, sat him down outside, and started grilling him. It was intense. I don't think it had to do with the virus, but I don't think it mattered. This is our world now.
    Was he a foreigner?

@Renz, that was actually part of my point. By mid-summer, even at its worst but definitely anything short of that, the cases will be tailing off (as I understand it), and we'll be back to some kind of normal. But what kind of normal is maybe an open question. We thought this election cycle was going to be crazy before all of this. I can't even imagine that far ahead to think what it'll be like now.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Was he a foreigner?
    Nah, an older Japanese guy. I got pictures of it that I may post when I get home after work.

Oh, I was wondering about a Japanese person not complying with the police, but old people don't really give a damn.

Page 22 of 93 FirstFirst ... 27121718192021222324252627323742475257626772 ... LastLast