TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 23 of 117 FirstFirst ... 38131819202122232425262728333843485358636873 ... LastLast

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

If we succeed in "flattening the curve" as they say, that'll make it last longer, no?

Moderator and Priest
    Yup. Flattening the curve will add at least a month onto the projected timeline.

That's the idea -- stretch it out to until there's a vaccine and more effective treatments available to deal with it. And in the best, most optimistic scenario the number of people requiring treatment would not exceed the health care system's capacity too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I'm 4 days into mine. It's not as fun as it sounds.
    Well I just came off a work "holiday" since late November (the "perks" of being a university teacher). So this has become the new norm for me anyway kinda. Main difference this time being, that I'll not be finding outside things to do to pass time besides exercise and occasion trips to the Drive in when a good movie is on. Will be doing that when Quiet Place 2 is out.

Currently getting Fallout New Vegas ready for a mega play through (with New California and Autumn Leaves installed). I'd have preferred to have had "The Frontier" mod setup with it as well, but that's not been released yet. Was that or play through all 3 of the Mass Effect games.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm watching Crash Bandicoot while old episodes of the X-Files play on the TV in the background. I think I'm using this whole thing as an excuse to relive my lost childhood.

The best time for it .

Find whatever it is that can keep you busy and entertained for a month+.

Been considering watching through Babylon 5 or TNG. Not watched either of those in ages. With how different the ST universe is in Picard, be more traditional. B5 has it's own appeal too, as that was far less of a happy happy joy joy future.

Moderator and Priest
    I've had Babylon 5 saved for at least a three years now, and I've yet to watch it beyond the first episodes. Might be a good time to hunker down on it.

Moderator and Priest

One day, like a miracle, it will disappear:

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I've had Babylon 5 saved for at least a three years now, and I've yet to watch it beyond the first episodes. Might be a good time to hunker down on it.
    No worries, it's only the best sci-fi series of all time.

Second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Listen to this.

Like many sports-leagues around the world, the NBA (USA basketball) is trying to find a way to deal with the corona-virus. Continue games or not ? With or without spectators ? You know the drill. Nothing decided yet. Nothing changed yet. Games continue as planned.

Frenchmen Rudy Gobert, center of the Utah Jazz, thinks it's all a load of crock. People are overreacting. It's just the flue. Stop panicking. To make a point, at a post-game media-meeting, Rudy intentionally frobs all microphones. "See, you cowards, nothing to worry about".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxtxIVtOZE

Today the Utah Jazz was supposed to play in Oklahoma City against the OKC Thunder.
    5 Minutes before tip-off, it gets announced the game will be postponed.
    Two players of the Utah Jazz were rumored to have flu symptoms.
    One hour later, it is confirmed that Rudy Gobert has tested positive for the Corona-virus.

I'm not kidding.

Yet another hour later, the NBA announced that all games, the whole season is postponed.
    Nobody has any idea what will happen next.
    At least it looks like some people are capable of learning:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/15/rudy-g...ore-diagnosis/

Rudy Gobert would do things differently if he could do it all over again.

The Utah Jazz center, who has admitted to being “careless” before becoming the first professional athlete in North America to test positive amid the coronavirus pandemic, said on the NBA’s Twitter feed on Sunday that he wishes he “would have took this thing more seriously” and urges everyone to take the necessary precautions against the spread of COVID-19.

“I hope everyone else will do so, because we can do it together,” Gobert said at the conclusion of the 64-second video. “Take care and stay safe.”

Gobert had announced Saturday a $500,000 donation split between out-of-work, part-time arena employees in Utah – due to the NBA’s shutdown – to childcare and healthcare workers and to families in Utah, Oklahoma and France, his home country, affected by the coronavirus.
    [...]

[QUOTE=lowenz;2441301]

In this case there's NO immunity 'cause:
    1) Coronaviruses don't give immunity after the infection (see "Cold").
    2) Actually Coronaviruses seem to NOT wake up the immune system at all

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...226v1.full.pdf

In this case there's NO immunity 'cause:
    1) Coronaviruses don't give immunity after the infection (see "Cold").
    2) Actually Coronaviruses seem to NOT wake up the immune system at all

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...226v1.full.pdf
    Stop spreading garbage. Everything you said is either horribly and obviously wrong or just wrong and the linked non-peer reviewed article directly contradicts you in the abstract (did not bother to read the whole thing):
    /.../ Combined with the follow-up virologic, radiological and pathological findings,the monkeys with re-exposure showed no recurrence of COVID-19, similarly to the infected monkey without rechallenge. Taken together, our results indicatedthat the primary SARS-CoV-2 infection could protect from subsequent exposures, which have the reference of prognosis of the disease and vital implications for vaccine design. /.../
    Additionally: animal testing != human reality. Watch your language.

PS. while coronaviruses commonly are remembered 1-10 years - it cannot be known for our current outbreak. Tens of thousands have recovered with very-very little relapse info indicating that it will hold at least some time - and that is all that can be said for now.

And yes, vaccines are being worked on. Some quite novel approach is also experimented with (already past stage 2).

We all hope that SARS2 doesn't work as its brothers!
    Still the immune system doesn't show a proper activation and the body cytokine storm is the main responsible for the interstitial pneumonia.
    It's why someone doens't develop the pneumonia and someone dies of it (or critical kidney failure).
    Last edited by lowenz; 18th Mar 2020 at 09:27.

Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    Stop spreading garbage. Everything you said is either horribly and obviously wrong or just wrong and the linked non-peer reviewed article directly contradicts you in the abstract (did not bother to read the whole thing):
    Are you talking to me or to desin?

LittleFlower
    Today's new number in NL are out. The website added a few new statistics. One of them: "Number of infections per thousand". I checked a few dozen highly infected cities/villages. It seems the village where I grew up has the highest amount of infections per 1000 in the whole country: 0.85 (26 out of 30447) ! I think this is the first time my old village is good at something !! (My current village is at 0.4 (14 out of 34798)).

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Looks like the Aussies have this outbreak shitshow figured out:

funny as fuck, but wrong .. trump tried ending travel from China early on, demotards called it racist. welcome to Murika.

(Meme removed)

Previously Important
    There's a small village on the banks of the Seacourt Stream in the civil parish of North Hinksey in the Vale of White Horse, just south of where the A34 meets the A420.

In 1973, in the living room of a modest home two doors down from his own, a very little child began training for an event 47 years and 5250 miles distant. Controller in one hand, ice cream in t'other, eyes laser focused on a screen connected to a new technological wonder known as the Magnavox Odyssey.

Flash forward to the next century, the next millennium, and that very little child lives now 5250 miles closer to the sunset in a big, grey, creaky body with face hairs and spectacles, healed bones and scarred hands, eyes still lasered on a screen, ice cream swapped for coffee. The new wonder has no single name, it is called ASUS it is called nVidia it is called Ultrasharp it is called Dolby 7.1 it is called Logitech and Western Digital and Corsair.

The little square is now an assassin, a Mars rover, a swordsman, a farmer, a plumber in a go-kart...

The city is silent outside his blue fence, beyond his garden, past the driveway. Silent yet tense. Raging like a storm in a plastic bag. Unsure, lost, bored or wishing they were, everyone else is frantically trying to reshape their personal worlds into something new, something that will address the problems they suddenly face and the consequences thereof.

Try running out of machine parts to repair your low-g wind turbines when you can't call a supply rocket for another 2.5 Sols while this electrostatic dust storm is raging.

Buying milk and toilet paper is a walk in the park if you've been training for 47 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    trump tried ending travel from China early on, demotards called it racist. welcome to Murika.
    Well, over here we banned travel from China when it started. China labelled us racists over it. But we allowed our citizen's back from there + Iran, didn't ban the other countries in time, and that's why it's here now.

So, even if the ban had stayed in place, likely you'd have had exceptions to the rule like we did, and still be in the exact same place. New Zealand's doing it the right way. All incoming people are on 2 week quarantine.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    funny as fuck, but wrong .. trump tried ending travel from China early on, demotards called it racist. welcome to Murika.
    What. The. Actual. Fuck. Are you seriously now trying to deny that he downplayed the threat? It will miraculously disappear, remember? Flu is much worse, remember? It's no big deal, remember? You peddled some of it yourself.

Also, what on earth do you mean, he tried ending travel from China? Who or what was stopping him? Did Democrats somehow stop him by calling him racist? Which he clearly is, btw. When H1N1 got started in the US, it's not like people started to call it the US virus or the American virus.

Furthermore, it's not like he did anything with the small delay he might have won with the travel ban. He farted around for two whole months doing little else but whine and try to shift blame and talk about how it will blow over soon. Any of his travel bans have been kneejerk reactions with no planning or reason (bolding mine):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekea.../#7813289a481b

Speaking to the nation last night, U.S. President Donald Trump said a ban on Europeans entering the United States is necessary because Europe hadn’t banned flights from China early as the U.S. had done.

“The European Union failed to take the same precautions and restrict travel from China and other hot spots as a result a large number of new clusters were seeded by travellers from Europe,” he said.

But virtually every part of this statement is untrue.

Italy imposed a ban on flights from China on 31 January, immediately after a Chinese couple in Rome tested positive for the virus. The U.S. began to restrict flights from China four days later. But while Italy enacted a full ban, the U.S. policy was only a restriction, with wide exemptions.

On February 4 the U.S. State Department issued a level 4 travel advisory mandating that foreign citizens who had been to China be turned away, and Americans who had been to China must undergo screening and possibly be put in quarantine for 14 days. But the restrictions contained wide exemptions, largely because of fears over the economic impacts of a full ban. Flight routes between the U.S. and China have been steadily cancelled over the past month, but in a piecemeal fashion and at the discretion of airlines.

By contrast, the Italian ban four days earlier was complete, with no exemptions. Italy was the first and only EU country to have a flight ban from China, and yet the country is now the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak in Europe with the highest number of cases outside China.

EU politicians are furious about Trump’s characterisation, not only because he has mischaracterised the European response, but also because there is no evidence that it was Europeans who brought Coronavirus to the United States. In fact, experts say it most likely came directly from China.

"The only country in Europe that has banned direct flights from China when the Coronavirus started was Italy,” says Pascal Canfin, the chair of the European Parliament’s public health committee and a close ally of French President Emmanuel Macron. “Italy is today the country which is most hit by Coronavirus. So the least I can say is that stopping flights was not an effective response for Italy to stop importing the virus.”

“It didn’t work in the past in Europe regarding flights from China, so I don’t see why it should work from Europe to the U.S.,” he adds. “It proved to be ineffective in the Italian case."
    [...]
    Last edited by Starker; 18th Mar 2020 at 12:52.

Stoking fear by invoking racial stereotypes and dogwhistles and doing things like calling the virus kung-flu is textbook racism.

Moderator and Priest
    That initial travel ban wouldn't have done too much, because it wasn't Chinese expats who brought the disease here. It was our citizens coming home from China, dragging it in behind them. Trump's travel ban was a half measure at the time.

There's also the question why Trump decided to ban Nigeria at the time, which had all of 2 cases at the time, and wasn't exactly a popular travel destination to and fro, while leaving more heavily trafficked nations free and clear to come and go as they please. Trump's initial decisions may or may not have been racist, there's always room for assumption on the issue, and it's hard to say so definitively, but they were entirely useless.

Page 23 of 117 FirstFirst ... 38131819202122232425262728333843485358636873 ... LastLast