TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 24 of 118 FirstFirst ... 49141920212223242526272829343944495459646974 ... LastLast

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

It's not like the US doesn't have a history with this.

https://qz.com/1819584/coronavirus-r...ase-outbreaks/

[...]
    In the UK and US, incidents of physical and verbal attacks on Asians and Asian Americans spiked; Chinatown neighborhoods across the country saw a near 50% drop in foot traffic; misleading media reports about the origin of the virus used exoticizing narratives around Chinese meat markets.

This of course isn’t a new phenomenon. Similar reactions occurred during the SARS outbreak in 2003, with individuals, groups, and media outlets spreading false information that, in the words of medical anthropologist Laura Eichelberger “resurfaced to blame Chinese culture and people for disease.”

This pattern of conflating race with a specific disease is a constant thread in American history. To name a few, Irish immigrants were associated with cholera epidemics in the 1830s, and some venereal diseases like syphilis were mislabeled as a “black disease,” leading to horrific and inhumane treatment of African American men during the Tuskegee syphilis experiment. In Europe, Jews were widely blamed for the bubonic plague.

[...]

Bringing us back to the present mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic, one can see that although we have moved past much of the debunked racial science of the past, these narratives that confuse and conflate race and national origin with a “natural” propensity for disease or infection are pernicious, and not easily dispelled.

Scientifically, we know that viruses are race-blind, and its origin and spread has nothing to do with skin color, features, or culture. Humans, however, are not race-blind. The rise in violence against Asians around the world proved that.

The beleaguered US public health system is now doing what it can to stop further spread of Covid-19. Imagine how different things could have been in the US if the government had taken early measures to prevent the disease spreading instead of expending energy on attacking people for their perceived connection to a disease that, as it turns out, is anything but foreign—and far from ‘totally under control’”?
    [...]
    Also, what possible benefit is there to antagonise China and Chinese people at this point in time? What is there to gain by calling it a Chinese virus? Do racist incidents against Asians in the US somehow make it easier to deal with the virus? Does it make it easier to learn from the experiences of Chinese doctors? Does it make China more likely to supply the US with the things that are so desperately needed to contain the outbreak?

BANNED
    you guys kidding? the idea was to flatten the curb.

Moderator and Priest
    So you're saying that we should go ahead and start beating the shit out of Asian looking people to flatten the curve. Okay then. Let's do it.

Just keep in mind that this guy is ethnically Mexican

BANNED
    then deport him after you beat him, works for me.........

Moderator and Priest
    Also, you look like a middle eastern dude. I could report you for selling unlicensed falafels. I'LL DO IT!

BANNED
    allak akcbar ........... or however you spell it

Moderator and Priest
    I was gonna take that picture you posted in Costco, and put a bunch of Urdu writing in there all meme style, but then I thought I shouldn't be copy pasting stuff I can't read. I could accidentally be calling for your death or something, or end up getting you put on a watch list.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    you guys kidding? the idea was to flatten the curb.
    And how does it flatten the curve when you equate immigrants and foreigners of certain race with a disease? Have to say, that article of yours was a real insidious piece, simultaneously trying to whitewash European colonism of the Americas (as if the colonisers were just peaceful settlers trying to integrate into Indian societies and live peacefully among them) and to cast non-white immigrants as an invasion of terrorism, crime, and disease.

Bill Gates would have been a better President.

Bill predicts virus. This is from 2015

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Are you talking to me or to desin?
    I was referring to desin post content - but his markup was messed up and it took me a sec to fix it in mine after i noticed it (by removing any attribution from my post as i don't care who said it - i had an issue with what was said).

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    And how does it flatten the curve when you equate immigrants and foreigners of certain race with a disease? Have to say, that article of yours was a real insidious piece, simultaneously trying to whitewash European colonism of the Americas (as if the colonisers were just peaceful settlers trying to integrate into Indian societies and live peacefully among them) and to cast non-white immigrants as an invasion of terrorism, crime, and disease.
    oh please, it flattens the curve by keeping infected people out, congratulations, calling trump racist accomplished more infected people coming to the US and we are all going to pay for it.

Moderator and Priest
    oh please, it flattens the curve by keeping infected people out, congratulations, calling trump racist accomplished more infected people coming to the US and we are all going to pay for it.
    It's annoying having to explain things to you five times in a row.

The travel ban would've done nothing, because it still allowed US citizens through with a minimum of checks after they landed. Chinese expats didn't bring this virus here. Our own people did.

Ergo, his initial travel ban didn't do shit to stop it.

And the way we're flattening the curve isn't just about keeping infected people out. It's more about keeping everyone contained in isolation, so the virus can't spread about.

+180 deaths (well, they finally go down)
    900 ICU.....900!
    Today in Lombardy:

+320 death
    +45+320=+365 new patients in ICU since yesterday (if all dead persons come from ICUs) -> 924 ICUs only for Covid-19 (now the outbreak is 1 month old)

I repeat: IN ONE DAY in the region with the best health care system in Europe.

Complete data: https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visu...agi-in-italia/ (feel free to translate)
    Last edited by lowenz; 18th Mar 2020 at 16:38.

So, let me get the logic of this straight. Democrats criticised Lord Dampnut. --> Lord Dampnut got his precious feelings hurt and failed to do something. --> This is the fault of Democrats.

Sounds less like the problem of having an opposition party who criticises the president and more like a problem of having a president who's a whiny little bitch.

On the other hand, to keep myself occupied during the crisis. I've been making another costume. What is everyone else doing to bide the time?

Moderator and Priest
    Oh man. OH MAN! YOU GONNA CROSS THE STREAMS, BRAH?

What have I been doing? Well, I got this friction burn on the top of my hand here a few days back, and I've been picking at the scab. Not a lot. Just trying to even things out a little bit.

Still going to work. I'm at work right now. I thought Japan was doing great because it has very low numbers, but I'm being told by others that the admin is so desperate to keep the Olympics that they're avoiding testing like the plague. So I shouldn't trust those numbers. But anyway, schools have been out for a while and a lot of people are staying home regardless.

Moderator and Priest
    Being a crowded country with an aging population, Japan should damn well be flipping its shit over this.

Yeah, Japan has the oldest population in the world by a large margin (second is Italy). And they have only managed to test about as many people in total as South Korea tests in a day. If it's really being done just for the Olympics, that's batshit insane.

Well, hopefully the measures will contain it. If they get hit hard, there won't be any concealing it.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Italian has always sounded like flamboyant Spanish to me. Like they're basically the same language (which they are, when you get right down to it), but Italian is somehow even more sing-songy and all up in your grill with excitement.
    Is it? I thought Italian was more related to French.

In this case there's NO immunity 'cause:
    2) Actually Coronaviruses seem to NOT wake up the immune system at all
    This is completely false. Completely.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Is it? I thought Italian was more related to French.

This is completely false. Completely.
    Completely false?

https://www.repubblica.it/salute/med...rio-251508086/

Doherty Institute - a joint venture between the University of Melbourne and Royal Melbourne hospital

(Automatic translation)
    "After three days, we identified the emergence of a strong population of immune cells, a recovery signal already identified during the seasonal flu infection. We therefore predicted that the patient was on the mend, and it did." "We have shown that even though Covid-19 is caused by a new virus, in an otherwise healthy person a robust immune response associated with clinical recovery, similar to what we have observed in common flu."

It is still early to say whether contracting Covid-19 once confers immunity from a relapse, scholars point out. "We know we can generate immune responses to the virus. The next question is whether the immune response confers immunity, and for how long. We now hope to expand the study nationally and internationally to understand why some people die from Covid-19 and others don't , and to develop rapid responses also to future emerging viruses, "conclude the researchers.

3 days of lag in a 40 yo! During these 3 days (5/6 for elders?) the reactive inflammation-induced interstitial pneumonia can kill virtually every old person (it takes some HOURS to go critical)

And it seems SARS2 really loves ACE2 molecules in the bloodstream, so think about all those old people taking ACE-inhibitors (and how they work) to control the blood pressure.

Yesterday evening in Bergamo.
    X-Files scene: the Army taking the deads in another crematorium.
    No more space.....

https://video.corriere.it/bergamo/be...c-55c2df06d574

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    On the other hand, to keep myself occupied during the crisis. I've been making another costume. What is everyone else doing to bide the time?
    Well, I'm worrying constantly about my kids', grandkids', great-grandkids' health and welfare and the fact that I'm jeopardizing my health every time I show up for my part-time job as a cashier at a retail store, which I have to do because Social Security doesn't make ends meet for me. Oh, and trying desperately NOT to appear to be all judgey when some selfish asshole comes to my register with three shopping carts loaded with toilet paper, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, bottled water and other items that other people need just as much as the asshole hoarders. Other than that, on my days off I play Dying Light (& The Following; driving that buggy is SO much fun and I have a blast live-streaming my zombie-killing sessions on Twitch), catching up with tons of TV series I missed before I got my Roku, reading a lot (CJ Cherryh is second only to Asimov), and trying to force myself not to worry so much. I also try not to get all bent out of shape about how too many scared (or just plain ignorant) people are swallowing so many stupid rumors and false facts about CV-19, so I've been limiting my time spent online at forums, news sources and social media sites in order to preserve my mental health and faith in humanity.

P.S. Checked out your link and whatever you're creating looks awesome, Bob. I just don't know what it is.

Page 24 of 118 FirstFirst ... 49141920212223242526272829343944495459646974 ... LastLast