TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 33 of 118 FirstFirst ... 381318232829303132333435363738434853586368737883 ... LastLast

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

BANNED
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...XN_Bx1B4WWwMI4
    WASHINGTON — Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams warned Monday that the coronavirus outbreak will worsen this week and said that people across the country are not taking the threat seriously enough.

“I want America to understand this week, it's going to get bad,” Adams said in an interview on the “TODAY” show.

The disease is spreading, he said, because many people — especially young people — are not abiding by guidance to stay at home and practice social distancing.

“Right now, there are not enough people out there who are taking this seriously,” he said.
    I don't see martial law going into place but I do believe they are about to enforce staying the fuck at home pretty soon.
    (Meme removed)
    DAMN I MISS Boyd Crowder. entertaining mofo for sure.

(Meme removed)

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    I don't see martial law going into place but I do believe they are about to enforce staying the fuck at home pretty soon.
    Martial law will end up being an absolute shit show. There are already a bunch of people playing the "YOU CAN'T TAKE MY CONSTITUTIONAL FREEDOMS FROM ME, STATISTS" card over suggested social distancing and restaurant closures. If the government deploys the military to enforce a mandatory quarantine, they'll probably go full squirrely.

...won't last long, but there'll be some shit.

BANNED
    MUH FUKING FREEDOM................

took me a bit to get that it's not the 2% death rate that matters, it's not the mild symptoms or this affecting mostly the old, we are going to end up worse than Italy based on the numbers alone if people don't fucking stay home and help to stop the spread of this. but again until a dead politician/sports player or actor eats it there is no real face to the virus here. Tom Hanks seems fine, the Jazz players? fine..... some of them need to eat it in order for the rest of retard Murika to take notice.

Moderator and Priest
    A celebrity dying would make it feel more immediate to some people, but they'll also take notice when a few of their friends and family start dropping dead around them too.

You know, the one thing that made this feel truly serious to me was when I got one of my taco cravings a couple days ago. Usually, all I have to do is run down to the local Mexican place to grab a couple three. Ain't no thing. This time? I wanted my tacos, but the place was closed down due to the virus. Even if it wasn't, I was gambling with a small, but still very real risk of death were I to go for them.

That was when it started feeling real to me, the moment when I couldn't easily get my tacos.

Moderator and Priest
    It's just...tragic, man.

Also:

A 13 year old girl died in Panama today. No mention, so far, of underlying causes which is usually stated. Poor little mite and now I worry more for my grandchildren. I read today that the WHO say the spread of the virus is accelerating.
    It took 67 days from the first reported case to reach the first 100,000 cases of Covid-19, but it took only 11 days for the second 100,000 cases, and just four days for the third 100,000 cases, WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said.
    I am confused by conflicting reports. I listened to a US doctor say that her dog couldn't get it but I've read of two dogs now who've tested positive. The first dog subsequently died but I don't think that was because of the virus.

I listened to another US doctor describe a scenario where one of those dickhead brats on a spring break took the virus home, left again, and 2 hours later, a grandparent could walk in the room and catch the virus. I didn't think this was airborne.

Clarification would be appreciated.

BANNED
    everyone is under the impression this is an old people problem, just like AIDS was supposed to be a gay problem, few have the capacity to understand that virus fucking mutates and we can ALL be in a world of shit pretty soon.

(Meme removed)

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    A celebrity dying would make it feel more immediate to some people, but they'll also take notice when a few of their friends and family start dropping dead around them too.

You know, the one thing that made this feel truly serious to me was when I got one of my taco cravings a couple days ago. Usually, all I have to do is run down to the local Mexican place to grab a couple three. Ain't no thing. This time? I wanted my tacos, but the place was closed down due to the virus. Even if it wasn't, I was gambling with a small, but still very real risk of death were I to go for them.

That was when it started feeling real to me, the moment when I couldn't easily get my tacos.
    Unfortunately, it seems that to a lot of people it takes a death or a near death to get the message across:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/u...rk-frilot.html

[...]Mark Frilot — 45 years old, “never, ever sick” — came home with a fever.

In the haze of days that followed, Ms. Frilot, a 43-year-old oil-and-gas analyst, occupied one world, the rest of her community in Kenner, La., another. She saw her friends making jokes on social media about the coronavirus — eye-roll emojis, Fox News talking points, Rush Limbaugh quotes writing off the threat. And then one person asked if anyone really had this thing.

Ms. Frilot had an answer to that.

“I have been seeing a lot of posts about people taking this virus lightly and joking about it,” she began in a Facebook post. “Mark has tested positive for the coronavirus.”

Days earlier, it never occurred to Ms. Frilot (pronounced FREE-low) that her husband’s fever that Friday — 99 point something or another, low enough that she teased him for being a wuss — would lead to this, even as his condition rapidly worsened.

By March 8, a Sunday, his temperature was 101.9. The flu, urgent-care doctors in Kenner told him.

Wednesday night, and the fever had worsened. “I just couldn’t break it,” Ms. Frilot said, remembering how she alternated between Tylenol and Advil, just as the doctor prescribed. She found her husband sitting on the edge of the bathtub, wrapped in a towel, talking to himself.

Thursday morning, emergency room. Thursday night, ICU. Friday morning, intubation. Saturday, coronavirus test results: positive.

[...]

Crises are political only until they are personal. As news of Mr. Frilot’s diagnosis spread, among his friends and on Nola.com, his story was no longer just that of a young, healthy person who caught a virus that young, healthy people had been told they were not supposed to catch. It was a revelation for the conservative suburbs of New Orleans, where many had written off the pandemic as liberal fear-mongering. Mr. Frilot, a registered Republican, and his family are generally apolitical, and were not thinking much about the virus — whether as a fiction or anything else — before he got sick. But many in their community had opinions on it from the start.

The language they used was the language politicians and media figures were also using. On March 8, when Mr. Frilot first went to urgent care, President Trump retweeted a joke from his White House social media director about Nero fiddling as Rome burned. The next night, Sean Hannity said on his prime time Fox News show that the virus was the media’s attempt to “bludgeon” Mr. Trump with “this new hoax.”

After Ms. Frilot shared her husband’s experience, she saw social-media musings about the virus as a liberal plot to tank the stock market come to a halt, toilet-paper jokes no longer rack up likes. Several people have called her “to pass on to me that everyone has been awakened,” Ms. Frilot said. “Because everyone knows Mark.”
    [...]
    https://www.nola.com/news/coronaviru...e94bc7f56.html

On March 10, Natasha Ott, 39, felt the beginnings of a cold coming on.

She had a slight fever. CrescentCare, the medical clinic where she worked, had only a handful of tests for the new strain of coronavirus on hand. She initially passed on the chance to take one, after being told she was low-risk for the serious disease.

When her symptoms didn't shake, she did take the test on Monday. By Thursday, she felt "something in her lungs," she told longtime partner Josh Anderson. But she still felt well enough by then to join Anderson as the pair walked her dog.

On Friday, Anderson found Ott dead in her kitchen.

[...]

Speaking in an interview Saturday, after his social media post recounting Ott's experience was shared hundreds of times, he said the dearth of tests shows how ill-equipped New Orleans is to handle a pandemic that has already claimed 16 lives and infected nearly 600 people across the state.

"She could have gotten a test last Friday, but they only had five tests, and she didn’t want to use one of them," Anderson said.

Less than a week ago, he was one of those who believed younger, relatively healthy people like Ott and himself would be fine amid the outbreak.

"I believed that people should stay home, but I don’t think I fully understood what the consequences could be if they didn’t," he said.
    [...]

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I am confused by conflicting reports. I listened to a US doctor say that her dog couldn't get it but I've read of two dogs now who've tested positive. The first dog subsequently died but I don't think that was because of the virus.
    I've heard some warnings about it being vaguely possible to transmit the disease to your cats and dogs, since coronavirus variants are actually fairly common among house pets. If those two dogs have been confirmed to have it, this will be the first case I've heard of them actually being able to contract Covid-19.

I listened to another US doctor describe a scenario where one of those dickhead brats on a spring break took the virus home, left again, and 2 hours later, a grandparent could walk in the room and catch the virus. I didn't think this was airborne.
    It's hard to say. From what I've read, contracting it airborne is exceedingly rare, though it can survive aerosolized for up to 3 hours.

Still Subjective
    Don't listen to anything coming out of the USA. That's your starter for ten.

Thanks, Renz. Google returns many reports about the dogs, in Hong Kong, but I don't have the energy to read at the moment. I could have done that before, I expect.

I came back to edit my post to say that dickheads are not confined to the US. Our (Welsh) government has just ordered the closure of caravan parks and tourist spots in Wales because our own brand were out in force over the weekend. Probably the safest thing to do as the English are still detested and I wouldn't be surprised to see the pitchforks out if they kept coming.

Edit. Thanks, SubJeff. I know you're right but I'm fascinated by the apparent disconnect between the US view of itself and what the rest of the world thinks. And by the way, my very grateful thanks to you and your colleagues.

I wonder when will come the point when testing for the virus gets completely abandoned. I read that testing capacity for Germany was 12K per day some days ago - which given the amount of positives found per day there seemed to steer towards not having enough ... leading to an artificial drop in spread stats.

... hm ...

Now it seem some places in USA seem to give up on testing anyone not already needing hospitalization (correct if i am wrong). So far the daily new case count for USA draws a pretty convincing 1.4 line (~ doubling every 2 days) on the logarithmic scale over ~24 (!) days. Which is crazy high (highest Italy ever got, excluding only the initial jump of 1->17->58, was 1.3 (rounding up) before settling around 1.25 and now has gradually curved down to 1.1 and still lowering).

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    Now it seem some places in USA seem to give up on testing anyone not already needing hospitalization (correct if i am wrong). So far the daily new case count for USA draws a pretty convincing 1.4 line (~ doubling every 2 days) on the logarithmic scale over ~24 (!) days. Which is crazy high (highest Italy ever got, excluding only the initial jump of 1->17->58, was 1.3 (rounding up) before settling around 1.25 and now has gradually curved down to 1.1 and still lowering).
    It's likely to spread in the US faster than elsewhere because we have 4 populous points of entry at each corner of the country that sees a ton of traffic, we like to travel a lot, and, most importantly, we only started taking it truly seriously just two weeks ago, while it's been silently spreading about for close to a month now.

We've got a rough couple of months to look forward to.

Still Subjective
    Country bumpkins!

Anyway, were on moderate lockdown now. Good job Boris!

I think the plan prior to every moron in the country going out at the weekend was to do this at the end of the week as all the powers to actually do it are in the Coronavirus Bill currently working its way through parliament.

Moderator and Priest
    Man, everyone's so uptight at the moment.

I just proposed that liquor and fireworks stores should be considered essential services, and now people are mad at me.

We're going into non essential lockdown in just over 24 hours. What people still don't understand here is that supermarkets are classed as essential. And will stay open. Bunch of dumbasses.

Lock down, pity there isnít a new thief game out there. It would be a joy to stay in.

Just go looting in the Old City sector. That should be atmospheric enough.

I'm pretty fucking mad about Trump encouraging people to go get chloroquine, touting it as an actual cure.

Not only is the chloroquine supply limited enough that panic-buying idiots represent a serious threat to people who actually need it, but anyone who's actually had to take chloroquine can tell you how awful of a drug it is. Intense nausea and diarrhea, cramps, sensitivity to light, high frequency of more serious reactions- I had to take it for malaria once and I'm not sure which was worse, the disease or the cure. And on top of that it's incredibly easy to die from it, with overdoses reported from as little as double the recommended dosage.

So color me absolutely not fucking surprised that people in countries where it's readily available are already overdosing from it, while in the US, someone has already died from ingesting cleaning products containing chloroquine.

And that asshole is getting on Twitter and talking up how chloroquine plus a common antibiotic will fix the situation, and he's got a 'good feeling' about it. For fuck's sake. It would be dumb enough on its own, but inciting the panicking masses to endanger themselves and others with what amounts to a reckless fad is something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Medlar View Post
    Lock down, pity there isn’t a new thief game out there. It would be a joy to stay in.
    *Thi4f and its GLOOM
    *TDS and Sneaky Upgrade
    *The Dark Mod

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    I'm pretty fucking mad about Trump encouraging people to go get chloroquine, touting it as an actual cure.

Not only is the chloroquine supply limited enough that panic-buying idiots represent a serious threat to people who actually need it, but anyone who's actually had to take chloroquine can tell you how awful of a drug it is. Intense nausea and diarrhea, cramps, sensitivity to light, high frequency of more serious reactions- I had to take it for malaria once and I'm not sure which was worse, the disease or the cure. And on top of that it's incredibly easy to die from it, with overdoses reported from as little as double the recommended dosage.

So color me absolutely not fucking surprised that people in countries where it's readily available are already overdosing from it, while in the US, someone has already died from ingesting cleaning products containing chloroquine.

And that asshole is getting on Twitter and talking up how chloroquine plus a common antibiotic will fix the situation, and he's got a 'good feeling' about it. For fuck's sake. It would be dumb enough on its own, but inciting the panicking masses to endanger themselves and others with what amounts to a reckless fad is something else entirely.
    He's Trump exactly for this.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    He's Trump exactly for this.
    So, once again, Trump fucked up. His irresponsibility in recommending a drug that, at the very best, has some potential to possibly ease the most severe effects of the virus (research pending to be determined) as an absolute cure-all could end up making a bad situation even worse as dipshits panic buy it, leaving those who need it without their medication..

We'll forgive him tomorrow. Tout him as the greatest president ever the day after that.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    I wonder when will come the point when testing for the virus gets completely abandoned. .... Now it seem some places in USA seem to give up on testing anyone not already needing hospitalization
    This is where we are in NL.

Today I learned that we hardly test people anymore. It seems the only systemic set of tests is when people get so ill, that they need to be hospitalized. Only then they get tested. So the hospital knows where to put that person: in the covid-19 half of the hospital, or in the other half.

We have 2 daily late-night talk-shows in NL on TV. The last few weeks, the only subject they talk about is the corona virus. Normally those 2 shows invite a mix of people: politicians, celebreties, singers, actors, and sometimes more serious people. These weeks the level of guests has improved significantly. Not only relevant politicians (minister of health, etc), but also doctors, nurses, scientists. And the people in charge, like the head of our national health institution, executives of hospitals, etc. Normally nobody in those shows give out any real or relevant information. Politicians are there to improve their ratings, nothing else. But these new people actually take the discussion very serious. They want to educate the viewers. Emphasise how important it is to stay the fuck home. But they also give out real numbers. And they try to explain what those numbers mean, or how they can/should/must/might be interpreted. E.g. I learned 2-3 weeks ago they had 1150 ICU beds in the whole of our country. And that they had 50 covid-19 patients in the ICU. Yesterday I learned they now have 450 covid-19 patients in ICUs.

A number of general practitioners were guests. They all talk about how they don't get tested. Yesterday, there was a lady GP at the table in one talkshow, who told the story how here husband (also a GP) got ill. Pretty ill, but not ill enough to go to the hospital. He was tested. Positive. A few days later, this lady GP also starts to get symptoms, including a fever. So she self-quarantines. After a few days, symptoms went away. So she told the audience: "24 hours later, I went back to work". She's not been tested, 24 hours after he fever went away, she was already treating patients again. The fuck ? And another 24 hours later she is sitting in the studio doing this talk-show ! You could see half the other guests at the table go pale, and think WTF!?!. Her defense was: official guidelines say that 24 hours after the symptoms go away, you can go back to work".

But it seems this is normal in NL now. If you get symptoms, you will 100% sure not get tested. You're supposed to self-quarantine. There is no testing to confirm you are recovered. Our GPs do not get tested (as a rule-of-thumb). People who work in homes for the elderly, who provide care-at-home, who work in institutions for physically or mentally handicapped people do not get tested. Heck, people in hospitals have good protection (suites, masks, gloves). GPs have huge shortages of protective gear. One GP showed a picture of him in an overall he bought at the shop for building materials. But all the other caretakers get nothing. And no testing.

From listening to those GPs and other people "at the frontlines" in those talk-shows, I get the strong impression they would like to see much more testing. But all the politicians downplay the importance of testing. I think that must be because we have way way too few tests available. We have the capacity in our labs, but we don't have the materials. And our country doesn't have the capabilities (factories, base materials, etc) to produce these tests ourselves. We depend on import. Another weird thing here is that from the start, the official guideline in NL was: "facemasks don't provide good enough protection, so there's no need for anyone to wear them". Of course people in hospitals, and even GPs, wear them. But nobody in the street does. While we've all seen the images from China, South-Korea, Japan and other Asian countries. Everybody in the street wears them. Cheap masks give 80% protection. The better masks give 95% protection. (I don't know what those percentages mean. 80% of what ?). I am convinced that if they're not perfect, they surely must help. If I had one (none for sale anywhere) I would wear it when I go outside (for shopping once every 2 weeks). I am positive that our guideline to not bother with mask is 100% because we don't have any masks for the public.

The good news in NL is: all those "strong advisories" we had, are now mandatory. Last weekend the sun was shining. Loads of people went outside. Crowded beaches on saturday. So the mayors closed all the parking lots near the beaches. Sunday our forests and parks were flooded with people. People just don't care. Now things are mandatory. People can get fined 400 euros for going outside without a good reason. Or getting together with more than 2 people in public. These measures will last until June 1st. Our prime-minister has hinted that if people still don't follow up, the next step will be full lockdown. It seems our government is slowly taking this serious. Now we need the people to start realizing.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 23rd Mar 2020 at 20:10.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Her defense was: official guidelines say that 24 hours after the symptoms go away, you can go back to work".
    That sounds like some straight up bullshit. From what I've seen, those who have fully recovered from it still remain quarantined for about a week before they're let loose.

Page 33 of 118 FirstFirst ... 381318232829303132333435363738434853586368737883 ... LastLast