TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 36 of 122 FirstFirst ... 6111621263132333435363738394041465156616671768186 ... LastLast

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Also, Rand is doing his duty as a US citizen. Nothing gets congress motivated more than being personally threatened by something.
    Since the dawn of mankind

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    ->
    ->

-18 deaths since yesterday (320->302)

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    Yeah because the Rethug half a billion dollar slush fund is really focused on those Americans in need, like the millions thrown off food stamps...

But you know, brown people takin' ur jorbes!

pray/say/tell WHY should people who are NOT supposed to be here get up to $7500???
    Increases the amount of money being offered to individuals to $1,500, and up to $7,500 for a family of five.

Moderator and Priest
    How long have you all been locked down now?

How long have you all been locked down now?
    14 days today.

Moderator and Priest
    So you may well be coming up on the downswing here soon.

AH, remember: @99% the incubation time is under 14 days BUT the infection can run through your body (ALL YOUR BODY thanks to ACE inhibitors if you're on them) for 1 month.

So a "critical" patient can appear in hospital/die after 45 days since the moment he has encountered the virus.

But tipically in elders the evolution is: incubation -> 4 days of light / flu-like symptoms -> deterioration&hospitalization -> 4 days in ventilation 'cause the interstitial pneumonia -> death (O2 can't pass in the bloodstream)
    Last edited by lowenz; 24th Mar 2020 at 14:21.

Moderator and Priest
    You know what I'd kill for right now? Some fucking good news for once!

Well, the Dow Jones went up 1500 points today, so I guess it could be worse.

So you may well be coming up on the downswing here soon.
    If the containment works.
    It can works AGAINST us too (infection spreading in the locked-down families)

Moderator and Priest
    What did I just say about good news? I want GOOD news!

Did you see any animals outside your window today? Any bunnies?

BANNED
    You know what I'd kill for right now? Some fucking good news for once!

Well, the Dow Jones went up 1500 points today, so I guess it could be worse.
    it's possible that Rand infected some members of congress.

sorry but it doesn't get any better than that.

Moderator and Priest
    Thanks. That made me smile a little.

Moderator and Priest
    It's probably gonna happen. Trump is saying he wants the economy moving at full steam again by April 12th. Just two weeks from now.

The virus won't be gone by then. It'll just lead to another outbreak, and then the economy will crash even harder. Let's hope someone can talk him out of it.

My understanding of what is going on in USA is darn spotty, so ...

Trump can not send anyone back to work as he has not stopped anyone to begin with (true?). Governors cannot afford to listen to the Orange Imbecile - and they have not. They (the non retarded ones at least) do what they can and enact the restrictions needed on their own. ... so ... Can the imbecile override that legally? Can he do that in reality?

The signs are pointing that way.

Last Fri, both the NYT and WSJ ran opinion pieces that basically advocated the Boris Johnson herd immunity plan: isolate the most vulnerable and let everyone else go back to their normal routine and get sick for the sake of the economy. There was another piece on the same theme from Tom Friedman than ran in the Times on Sun. Supposedly, it's also been making the rounds on talk radio.

These two rags are really well connected to the federal government and Wall Street. Sometimes they almost seem like a propaganda arm, like before the Iran invasion, and during the financial crisis. I think there's people who really don't want to lose any more wealth in the market going around planting seeds.

There were some conspicuous absences from Trump's daily briefing last night. No Dr. Fauci. No Dr. Adams either. A new face instead. I don't know whether that means anything or not, but I suspect Trump is going to stop listening to the disease control experts and reverse course when this current 14-day period is up. It's just the sort of thing he would go for.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post

Trump can not send anyone back to work as he has not stopped anyone to begin with (true?). Governors cannot afford to listen to the Orange Imbecile - and they have not. They (the non retarded ones at least) do what they can and enact the restrictions needed on their own. ... so ... Can the imbecile override that legally? Can he do that in reality?
    what trump says & what the states do are 2 different things, basically the states are doing as they wish with the support of trump.
    the PEOPLE are the ones who are NOT listening, specially the younger crowds, beaches & hiking trails are full of morons.

(Meme removed)
    jokes aside, HOW do you enforce a stay at home order?

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Sure, I agree that's a good move. But the logistics must be 10x harder in India than in Europe or the US. I heard the Indian government is going to supply free food to the poor and unemployed. Also a good move. But still, I am afraid that in a (relatively) poor country, the economic consequences of a lockdown are much harsher than in other countries. Good luck.
    No bones about it, India doesn't have a comprehensive social benefit plan to bank on like Canada. Free food to the poor and unemployed is a good idea too, but I'm more than a little dubious about that actually happening given our history with opportunism, corruption, and communal politics. Things are going to be fucked, but in the larger picture it's better people suffer from a lockdown than face the horror of the alternative with no lockdown in place.

Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post

Trump has more than his usual base of supporters with him on this one: Wall Street, the executives of most publicly traded corporations, a lot of small business owners, and plenty of regular folks who treasure their 401K holdings more than their relatives and friends.

There's still a lot of people who are in denial and keep insisting this isn't even as bad as the regular flu. Including one of my company's best mathematicians, who hijacked the first 10 minutes of a telecon this morning to rant about it. Of course, they don't follow the trends, don't look at the numbers, don't try to avail themselves of the information, and don't seem to want to. It's EXACTLY like the climate change debate, except the consequences are happening much faster.

Anyway, Trump can't order people back to work (obviously), but he doesn't need to. The same pressure is going to bear down on governors and mayors.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Last Fri, both the NYT and WSJ ran opinion pieces that basically advocated the Boris Johnson herd immunity plan:
    The UK and NL proposed a plan based on herd immunity around the same time. I've made a post here, expressing my concerns, and why I didn't think herd immunity can work with this covid-19 virus. Especially not when they talk about only 60-70% of people having immunity. I've seen a number of articles (on the net, in newspapers) that strongly advised against this.

To my surprise, around 2 days after the UK and NL government mentioned herd immunity in their plans, they stopped doing that. Not a single word about herd immunity anymore. I guess they wisened up. Both countries are slowly moving into full lockdowns now, like all the other countries that have been hit heavily before us.

I should be surprised if the US is now bringing up herd immunity. And using it as an excuse to trade human lives for a better dow jones index. But then again, no news out of the US is really surprising me any more.

Moderator and Priest
    Anyway, Trump can't order people back to work (obviously), but he doesn't need to. The same pressure is going to bear down on governors and mayors.
    He can't order people back to work, but in theory, he could order the states to end their quarantines, and the businesses could force people to come back into work at risk of their jobs.

Right now, it seems to be devolving into the usual red state vs. blue state bullshit. The blue states want to enforce the quarantines, quoting the scientists and experts as to why it should be done. The red states are saying it's much ado over nothing, that it's time to put on our big boy pants, and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps so we can get back to rebuilding the economy.

How it'll end is...well, we already know how it's gonna end. I've already started seeing the rumors that the Democrats planned this, and used the impeachment hearings as a distraction to allow it to spread.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    jokes aside, HOW do you enforce a stay at home order?
    Right now, it's more of a gentle suggestion. The worst anyone can do is call you an irresponsible asshole. Though if it gets really, really bad, they could call in the national guard, and enforce a curfew with a shoot on sight order.

Personally, all they should do is interrupt regular broadcasts for an hour every other day to show a live feed of someone slowly dying of coronavirus in an ICU somewhere.

BANNED
    He can't order people back to work, but in theory, he could order the states to end their quarantines, and the businesses could force people to come back into work at risk of their jobs.

Right now, it seems to be devolving into the usual red state vs. blue state bullshit. The blue states want to enforce the quarantines, quoting the scientists and experts as to why it should be done. The red states are saying it's much ado over nothing, that it's time to put on our big boy pants, and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps so we can get back to rebuilding the economy.

How it'll end is...well, we already know how it's gonna end. I've already started seeing the rumors that the Democrats planned this, and used the impeachment hearings as a distraction to allow it to spread.
    Darwin FTW.....................oh, wait, shit is going to spread everywhere else thanks to these dumb fucks.

There's still a lot of people who are in denial and keep insisting this isn't even as bad as the regular flu. Including one of my company's best mathematicians, who hijacked the first 10 minutes of a telecon this morning to rant about it /.../
    That kind of thing is why i highly appreciated when there was an article in the newspapers to warn about listening to people who are talking outside of their profession (well, the article was general advice for the public in regards to the virus - that reminder was only a small part of it).

Mathematicians, physicists, or chemists - they are not qualified to judge what is happening. "Listen to the experts. If you get sick, you'll still go to the doctor, not the chemist."
    Ie. listen to virologist and other relevant experts of the field and not the expert of the wrong field.

Moderator and Priest

Yeah. The age of the polymaths is long gone - being an expert on anything necessitates that you must be incompetent on everything else. People seem to forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    And using it as an excuse to trade human lives for a better dow jones index. But then again, no news out of the US is really surprising me any more.
    The worst part about it is that it's a false trade.

The economy will continue tanking until the threat of the virus is over. Suppose we just go back to our normal routines. All the data so far indicates that every significant metropolitan area will end up like Lombardy, Madrid, NYC within maybe 2-4 weeks. And when our health care system is failing simultaneously all over the nation, then what? Do they seriously expect people will stick to their normal routines when we get to that condition? In this case, the best thing for getting the economy going again is also the best thing for saving lives: get the virus behind us.

I shouldn't be so cynical, but I wonder whether this idea is being dangled out there to move the market: Pass a stimulus package, announce America is getting back to work, give investors a brief period of hope, and when there is a temporary bounce in the market, insiders will recoup some losses and get out before it really goes to shit, leaving all the 401K owners and institutional investors holding the bag. Trump doesn't even have to be in on it, he can be seduced by anyone claiming they can save the election for him.

Page 36 of 122 FirstFirst ... 6111621263132333435363738394041465156616671768186 ... LastLast