TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 56 of 109 FirstFirst ... 61116212631364146515253545556575859606166717681869196101106 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2723

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

Moderator and Priest
    Meanwhile...

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Oh for fuck's sake, did people read that the virus doesn't usually kill young people and conclude that they wouldn't contract or carry it?
    Now you know "ignorance".

Of course the virus infects every body (LOL), and in younger people the infection symptoms are typically mild (maybe due to the involvement of the throat+nose mucosa alone). And because of this they're infectious as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Lombardy

More positives: +111
    ICU stable: +9
    Deaths today: 367 -> -27 since yesterday
    @Hospital patients -> -165 since yesterday
    @Home patients number still growing (+267)

Death count still high, fitting the typical interstial pneumonia prognosis (50% exitus)
    Lombardy

(actual) positives: +333
    ICU: +30
    Deaths today: 351 -> -16 since yesterday
    @Hospital patients -> +40 since yesterday
    @Home patients number still growing (+243)

Things seem under control......well, with 350 deaths per day.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I think you would need to control for agriculture before you could draw any conclusions from that map. In counties where the economy is primarily agricultural, most people are still working, and may travel a fair distance throughout the course of their day, even if it's just moving around a single large farm. Ranching probably involves even more travel.

I suspect agriculture explains most of the orange and red you see in the Midwest and West. I don't think it explains the Southeast though - that's probably just denial.
    That's a fair point. To be honest, I was reacting more to the blistering stupidity of some of your governors, as it seems that states where the leaders are politically more aligned with your president seem to take the situation in quite a bit more relaxed manner. For example, your Florida governor saying he wasn't issuing a stay home order because the White House hasn't given such a recommendation and your Georgia governor only now learning that people without symptoms can transmit the virus. I mean, ordinarily I'm happy whenever people are willing to learn new things, but right now might not be the best time for on the job training.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    Meanwhile, Jared just told us all that 'our' Strategic National Stockpile isn't really 'ours'.
    Wait, what qualifications did Jared have again for being in charge of national stockpile policy?

What a difference a day makes, though...

Yesterday:

Today:
    Last edited by Starker; 3rd Apr 2020 at 14:41.

I guess i have never payed much attention to the inner workings of what is going on at that side of the planet, but ...

USA seems to have a quite weird dictatorship.

BANNED
    (Meme removed)

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, but...

I fear both
    I'm conscious but I got some masses too! On my abdominal muscles.....

Speaking of HOPE: https://www.lastampa.it/topnews/prim...ivo-1.38666481

Please translate.

Long story short: 60 blood donors, 40 found positive AND already with immunoglobulins. So we can now track a good and stable sample (40 cases, healthy people with an healthy life style) about the immunological memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Yesterday:

Today:
    Well, that little switcharoo just kept his blunder in the news another day.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Oh for fuck's sake, did people read that the virus doesn't usually kill young people and conclude that they wouldn't contract or carry it?
    ...I'm kinda guessing they also missed the part where the "young" who almost never die from it are in the 1-9 range and most definitely not the 21-30 range?

Trump doesn't want to share his N95 face masks with Canada.

So, Donny. Does that mean it is OK with you if we don't share the new antiviral drug we are developing?

Second piece of meat of the quarantine just bought (2 weeks for 2 kilos of veal)
    Third piece of meat ordered!
    Lockdown in Italy will go until 1 May or more.

Geez. Well thanks for playing, everyone.
    (I'm assuming this graph is representative of the situation in most countries.)

If you need me, I think I'm going to be in the kitchen making myself a bit more than my usual portion of ice cream.
    I'm not dealing all that well with the barrage of bad news.

LittleFlower
    At the end of WWII, the world held a huge celebration party.
    I wonder what will happen when we beat the corona-virus. Huge parties too ?

Exactly when will we have beaten the virus ?
    When we all come out of lockdown ?
    I don't think so. Suppose the world-wide lockdown continues until the end of June. So in July we can go out in the streets again. If we go full party mode, and there are a few infected, only a handful that don't know they are infected, we'll be in deep trouble again within 3 weeks. So when we come out of lockdown, it will be slow. With lots of social distancing, people wearing masks, etc. Not yet party-time.

When we get a vaccine ? If so, when do we start partying ? Not everybody is gonna get a vaccine-shot at the same time. I bet it's gonna take a few weeks to get everybody vaccinated. And also, it might take 1-2 weeks until the vaccine works (until your body has produced enough antibodies to be able to fight of a new infection). So even when we get the ultimate victory, a vaccine, I'm afraid there won't be a huge party for all to attend.

We need that party. Even if it will be later. We need the promise of that party. Even I do.

Yeah, a party so the virus can re-ignite the epidemy

Of course we all want (and maybe need) that kind of celebration. It's how mankind copes with things like this. In every culture.
    You know, "I'm only human".
    The virus isn't.
    Last edited by lowenz; 4th Apr 2020 at 08:44.

Interesting that the first article I saw after that post was this, asking the same question.
    The Crisis Could Last 18 Months. Be Prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    I wonder what will happen when we beat the corona-virus. Huge parties too ?
    My bet is that just like Boogie said in a recent video, I think everyone will discover the perks of working from home, and being more introverted. So this will have a lasting effect. Likely many will stay indoors long after it's all over. This will be the first big event, with life changing effects since 9/11. It's effects are going to be felt for a very long time afterward.

I've been staying indoors (besides going out for exercise, food and supplies + drives on Friday nights) for 3 weeks now, and have become pretty adjusted to the routine. In my case, I'd just come off the yearly xmas holiday season from teaching (where you have 3-4 months of no work), so all of this is like an extension of that, except that I work from home and get paid what I would have got paid if I'd been going on campus to teach.

For one who likes getting paid to do nothing, I've been really enjoying it. Get to assign my students work exercises and tell them that they have an hour to do it, then I go off and play games or go for a walk, then come back and continue teaching. Compare that to being on campus, where I'd have been doing that (giving students class exercises to do), but having to sit at the front of the classroom and read a book or play games on my laptop. This ways more fun. For now anyway.
    Last edited by icemann; 4th Apr 2020 at 10:07.

Finally ICU decreasing! -2% from yesterday in Italy!
    Here in Lombardy -55 beds !

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    It's effects are going to be felt for a very long time afterward.
    This pandemic has turned me into A FREAK! I'm probably gonna spend the rest of my life walking around with hand sanitizier in my pocket.

Finally ICU decreasing! -2% from yesterday in Italy!
    Here in Lombardy -55 beds !
    Woot! Here's hoping you all are on the downswing of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    This pandemic has turned me into A FREAK! I'm probably gonna spend the rest of my life walking around with hand sanitizier in my pocket.
    Just don't put your fingers on the conjunctiva. That's the goal of the hand sanitizing, avoid the infection via conjunctiva.
    I was in that kind of freakish behaviour 18 years ago, after an Hepatitis B (already solved when discovered so I must say "after a response to HBV" ).

This will all blow over by April:

Still Subjective
    America.

lol

Moderator and Priest
    More America! Someone just sent me a link to this...

Worldometer recently added tests to their stats (as good as they can get). Now they seem to be stable - at least thous that i was tracking now show correct numbers where there was a lot of disagreement before.

So, since US has per state stats in separate table - i copy pasted thous out for some extra stats:

Columns:
    A = location (color coded based on F column value: <0.1 green, <0.2 black, >=0.2 orange, >=0.3 red)
    B = total positives -> copy from worldometer
    C = population per google
    D = total positives / population * 1M -> medical load to be death with over time (severity depends on F column) ... i call it the "worry" column (also shown in graph - vertical lines at every 500 and the whole chart capped to 3000). If memory serves then Lombardy got into serious trouble somewhere in-between 4000-5000. Obviously, they had the least preparation time of anyone among other disadvantages.
    E = total tests -> copy from worldometer
    F = total positives / tests

Interestingly, most of US has decent testing being done. Unfortunately, i deleted the partial March 25 stats i had - but from memory: there are less states at 0.2+. Some have even gone from 0.5X down to 0.0X range. However, where shit has hit the fan (lots of positives) - cumulative testing coverage has dropped a lot too. Notable exception is Washington (worry of 1000+) - nothing else of the green-testing-rate locations comes even close (closest would be Delaware with worry of 600+ and comparatively tiny population). Hopefully, the bigger "worry" states remain sufficiently staggered to make dealing with the outbreak manageable. The tail end probably would have a lot of overlap - but they would also much more greatly benefit from counter measures and the extra preparation time to compensate. NY is unavoidably already in shit tho and has to hope that others will help out.

-150 deaths since yesterday in Italy!

Will update with Lombardy data

Page 56 of 109 FirstFirst ... 61116212631364146515253545556575859606166717681869196101106 ... LastLast