TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 62 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1217222732374247525758596061626364656667727782879297102107 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2717

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Can you link me to the official website please? I need to share this with one of the doctor's associations here.
    The program is called "Frontberichten" (bericht = message).
    We have commercial TV and public TV. Like the BBC. Except we have 15+ public TV broadcast corporations (larger and smaller). They do advertisements, also on their website (sorry). And the videos on their website don't even play in my browser (Palemoon, which is a Firefox fork). But on the website you can see a lot of these messages.

https://www.bnnvara.nl/frontberichten

Still Subjective
    Thanks.

LittleFlower
    Here is a bit more info about the tv-program.
    https://www.ad.nl/show/frontberichte...bek~a49913968/
    I couldn't get it to translate in Google Translate.
    So some points from the story:

The shows runs since March 20th.
    Mostly people from healthcare, but also police officers, people working in supermarkets, cleaning staff (the essential workers).
    These essential workers are the ones who take the initiative to make these movies and send them to the program.
    There is a staff of ~20 editors. They all work from home.
    The editors receive around 40 new films per day.
    The episodes are 12-14 minutes each day.
    Daily audience is ~ 1 million viewers per day (out of 17.5M people in NL).

After the first 2 days, communication departments of hospitals realized what was happening. Uncontrolled info from/about their hospitals going directly and unfiltered to the general public. They didn't like it. They forbade their employees to participate with the program. Or even talk to the press in general. But after a few days they realized that the program had real value, even for the hospitals themselves. So they allowed their employees to participate again. Hospitals then started to call the program to try to send in their own vlogs. The program refuses any entries from hospitals. They only accept vlogs from individuals.

60% of entries are from medical personnel.
    Those are often so impressive or urgent, that there's a risk they push out the vlogs from non-medical personnel. The editors try to keep a balance.
    Some entries with impact: a doctor reporting from a triage-tent. getting interrupted by a couple coming in. man gets taken into the hospital. woman needs to say goodbye. not knowing if they'll see each other again.
    one entry was from a guy working in the Zoo. showing the empty Zoo, and how the workers keep taking care of the animals.
    the show is made and broadcasted 7 days a week.
    Editors expected to make only a few shows. But the good receipt and the high ratings encourage them to keep going.
    Lots of feedback that these "messages from the front" have a lot more impact than the talking heads on tv each night.
    The chief editor expects to condense the messages into a movie some time, maybe at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    After the first 2 days, communication departments of hospitals realized what was happening. Uncontrolled info from/about their hospitals going directly and unfiltered to the general public. They didn't like it. They forbade their employees to participate with the program. Or even talk to the press in general. But after a few days they realized that the program had real value, even for the hospitals themselves. So they allowed their employees to participate again. Hospitals then started to call the program to try to send in their own vlogs. The program refuses any entries from hospitals. They only accept vlogs from individuals.
    It's why I love Netherlands (since the '90s )!

Financial Times article: https://www.ft.com/content/e26524a5-...7-a91627a1722c

Italian free access recap that you can decently google-translate: https://www.ilgiornale.it/news/salut...o-1851725.html

If you stick the title of an FT article into your search engine of choice you get a link to the full text.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I need to share this with one of the doctor's associations here.
    Good luck, Jeff.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ut-coronavirus

Edit: for those who hadn't noticed, China has finally ended the lockdown in Wuhan yesterday (April 8th). That lockdown started on Jan 23rd. Thus it lasted 11 weeks ! I'm interested in learning how they will be doing over the next few weeks. Again, this will be another experience where the western countries can learn, because we are a few weeks behind China in the whole process.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 9th Apr 2020 at 11:21.

How you can you learn anything though? Their data can't be trusted.

LittleFlower
    Even untrustworthy data has value. Don't be too paranoid.

Example: suppose the Chinese authorities underreport their numbers of infections and deaths by 50%. If there is an increase, you still see that increase, even if the numbers are smaller. Or suppose 2 weeks from now, China again re-instates some restrictions on Wuhan. Then you know that the virus was not fully eradicated after 11 weeks of lockdown. Etc. Also, I think the better the numbers and the better the results, the more the Chinese will be willing to share true data. The fact that we suspect their numbers are off is not because they are arseholes, it is because the Chinese authorities are trying to save face. (They are arseholes too, imho, but that might not be the (main) reason they lied).

Edit: and even if the Chinese give out meaningless numbers, there are other ways to acquire data. According to this news report and others, US intelligence knew in November 2019 already that a contagious disease was spreading through China’s Wuhan region.
    Two officials familiar with the documents told ABC News the military's National Center for Medical Intelligence expressed concerns about the coronavirus in a November intelligence report, which included an analysis of wire and computer intercepts and satellite images.

"Analysts concluded it could be a cataclysmic event," a source said of the NCMI’s report. "It was then briefed multiple times to" the Defense Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon’s Joint Staff, and the White House.
    But Trump of course thought: "WTF is a pandemic ? I never heard of that word. Must be false news. And besides that, stockmarket is up. Elections are coming. Fuck that pamdenix !!".
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 9th Apr 2020 at 12:26.

Moderator and Priest
    I can't stop hiccuping! GOD HELP ME, I CAN'T STOP!

Here you go, Renz... JUMP SCARE WARNING

Moderator and Priest
    I was expecting it, so it didn't work.

Bad News - for young people - Arald Mode

https://notizie.virgilio.it/coronavi...immune-1362429

Automatic translation:

Coronavirus immunity is one of the most debated topics in recent times. Many are wondering if there is the possibility of a second infection and the answer comes from a study by Fudan University . The research, published in the South China Morning Post and taken up by GreenStyle, was carried out on 175 patients deemed no longer affected by Covid-19 and discharged from the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center.

Coronavirus, immunity in the healed: research results
    Analyzing the levels of antibodies present in the body of the recovered patients, it emerged that a third of them had developed a rather mild resistance to coronavirus .
    Furthermore, some of them had no trace of immunization against the virus: "If these patients are at high risk of relapse and re-infection it should be the subject of further studies," said the experts.
    The low development of antibodies , the researchers of the Fudan University have underlined, above all concerns the young people between 15 and 39 years . By contrast, antibody levels were higher in the 60 to 85 age group .

Coronavirus, few antibodies in the healed: the problems
    The results of the research, according to the scientists, show that low levels of antibodies for certain sections of the population would prevent the development of "flock immunity" and therefore stop the epidemic.
    The Chinese study also, as Dagospia reports, found that ten out of 175 patients had "zero antibodies" or "such a low number that they were not found in laboratory tests".
    Thus, the difficulty in developing antibodies could also be problematic in the development of a vaccine . In fact, if a real dose of virus has failed to develop antibodies, even a "weakened" version inoculated for research purposes may not.

Immunity only in the people affected/affectable (by age) by the severe version of Covid-19 (further evidence that the virus by itself is not the culprit of the disease), as expected.
    Last edited by lowenz; 9th Apr 2020 at 13:44.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm gonna laugh when we find out the one thing that cures this is Flintstones vitamins.

It will evolve in an Herpes-like form, so perfect symbiosis.

This is so perfect.

Moderator and Priest
    I think it's time we get our act together, and start thinking about the kind of world we'll be leaving for Keith Richards.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I think it's time we get our act together, and start thinking about the kind of world we'll be leaving for Keith Richards.

Moderator and Priest
    See, that's awesome.

LittleFlower
    12 Days ago, 29 March, I asked the question:

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Who do you think will hit 20k deaths first ? I think all three countries have equal chance to be the winner.
    29 March:
    Italy - 92k infected, 10k deaths.
    Spain - 79k infected, 6.5k deaths.
    USA - 125k infected, 1k deaths.

2 April:
    Italy - 111k infected, 13155 deaths.
    Spain - 104k infected, 9387 deaths.
    USA - 215k infected, 5068 deaths.

6 April:
    Italy - 129k infected, 15887 deaths.
    Spain - 135k infected, 13005 deaths.
    USA - 338k infected, 9624 deaths.

10 April:
    Italy - 144k infected, 18279 deaths.
    Spain - 157k infected, 15843 deaths.
    USA - 466k infected, 16478 deaths.

LittleFlower
    I can't find the exact quote. I think someone on Fox News said this a few weeks ago: "The US is well prepared. The US is the best country to get the corona virus in".

This video showed up today. However, the dates on the screen (weather report date) seems to indicate this video was taken on April 4th (last week Saturday, 6 days ago). On April 4th the US already had ~250K infected and 10k+ deaths. New York was already a warzone. But watch this video, till the end (1min 15sec).

Also, the time on screen is 4:40 PM UTC. So this data was taken at the end of the afternoon in Europe, and in the morning in the US. Of course it would be easier to make a movie like this when you do it on an hour where Europe is asleep and the US is still awake. But I think that's not what we see here. (Someone with a YT-account should post that question, please. At what exact time/date was this taken ? FYI I have no YT or google-account myself, and I won't create one).

Last edited by Gryzemuis; 10th Apr 2020 at 08:11.

Everything I can see on there is consistent with what you're saying, ~16:40Z on the 4th, certainly several of the first few aircraft he hovers the cursor over were there then and the amount of traffic in general looks about right, coverage of the groundstations that feed that data to the various sites that'll show it varies a lot site to site though so whilst that's roughly about what was up there it's not (and never will be) a complete picture.

If you want to imagine what the sky over europe usually looks like at that time zoomed out that far filtering for that sort of aircraft just colour in most of England, north east France, and Germany. What you can see there is pretty much a bunch of cargo flights plus Qatar Airways

As part of the bailout package for the airlines, our government mandated that each airline continue service to all destinations in their network. And some airlines have been flying the same formerly busy routes multiple times per day, even though they could consolidate down to once a day. So we have a very large number of very empty planes flying around, burning fuel and dumping CO2 to carry just a handful of passengers, sometimes just one or two. The airports are ghost towns but they're all still operating.

LittleFlower
    That would explain a lot, Heywood. Thanks for the insight.

Even if this means less bad news for healthcare, it's still crazy when you look at it with common sense. It's clear Trump doesn't care one bit about the environment or climate change. Money is the only thing that exists in his world.

Today I learned something new (picked up from a comment somewhere):
    "When you look at average I.Q., even the Belgians are smarter than the Americans".

(Not sure there are any Belgians on TTLG. Just joking. Of course the Americans are smarter than the Belgians !!).
    ((Actually, Belgians are on average indeed smarter than Americans. If you can believe this random list I found via google)).

Page 62 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1217222732374247525758596061626364656667727782879297102107 ... LastLast