TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 79 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2934394449545964697475767778798081828384899499104109114119 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 3046

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

High explosives will destroy the virus, too.

Moderator and Priest
    It's shown promise as a therapy, but it's still a ways off from being massively deployed.

The question is, is this tech what Trump meant when he was talking about UV radiation killing the virus, or is this a post hoc attempt to justify his stupid spitballing by his fan base who just happened to run across this while searching Google?

After all, he did also suggest mainlining disinfectants as well.

The latter, obviously. And it doesn't address the disinfectant thing, anyway. Lysol's manufacturer released a statement:

https://www.rb.com/media/news/2020/a...disinfectants/

Moderator and Priest
    I guess the Trump apologists lucked out with their being an actual therapy using UVA light internally, that way they can say "See, that's what he really meant! If you weren't so ORANGE MAN BAD, you'd see the truth in what he's telling the American people!"

...so why the fuck didn't he take the time out to mention this tech directly, than "uh..uh...a massive blast of UV lights!"

It's just another variation of the Trump said this, but what he really meant was this spiel, and we can't give the guy credit cuz we're haters. It amazes me how far people will bend over to excuse incompetence.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    High explosives will destroy the virus, too.
    by all means give them a try.
    (Meme removed)

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I guess the Trump apologists lucked out with their being an actual therapy using UVA light internally, that way they can say "See, that's what he really meant! If you weren't so ORANGE MAN BAD, you'd see the truth in what he's telling the American people!"

...so why the fuck didn't he take the time out to mention this tech directly, than "uh..uh...a massive blast of UV lights!"

It's just another variation of the Trump said this, but what he really meant was this spiel, and we can't give the guy credit cuz we're haters. It amazes me how far people will bend over to excuse incompetence.
    You were bitching/moaning/groaning even after I posted a video of wtf he was talking about. so yeah the TDS is strong enough among you that it does not matter what gets shown .you already had an excuse as to why it won't work etc.
    (Meme removed)

you all love to bitch, is it because maybe, just maybe some of you will be stupid enough to try it? anyone who does this will only get a Darwin award, is that not a win/win?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    You were bitching/moaning/groaning even after I posted a video of wtf he was talking about. so yeah the TDS is strong enough among you that it does not matter what gets shown .you already had an excuse as to why it won't work etc.
    That tech wasn't at all what Trump was talking about. That's a link someone on your archerytalk board found after the fact once everyone else started talking about how stupid a suggestion that was, and now they're claiming THIS IS WHAT HE MEANT! You know it. I know it. Quit pretending otherwise.

BANNED
    yeah, the TDS is so strong that YOU know EXACTLY what cheeto hitler was talking about, priceless.

Moderator and Priest
    yeah, the TDS is so strong that YOU know EXACTLY what cheeto hitler was talking about, priceless.
    He didn't mention this tech by name, did he? His advisors said they didn't know of any currently running therapies. There aren't any links available to this on any government coronavirus sites. He just babbled on some shit about UV lights.

So how do YOU know what he was talking about?

And by an actual therapy, you mean an obvious scam that doesn't pass the most cursory of smell tests, right?

First of all, any UV light strong enough to kill bacteria and viruses is strong enough to irritate airways.

Secondly, airways get very narrow, so any use of such a device would be extremely limited even in the best case scenario.

Thirdly, viruses aren't just floating around on the surface of your organs.

And last but not least, just look at the video. Does this look like an actual, proven therapy to you?

BANNED
    I did not, I was like YOU and the rest of the nation wondering why we have 2 worthless M'fers with dementia running for office with one already in office. shit I was wondering wtf were all the memes about until I read the news on it and of course sharing the shit out of the memes
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-28400502

difference is that unlike YOU I found out wtf he was referring to after watching the video, I posted the video and you STILL bitched about it w/o watching it, TDS is real.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    And last but not least, just look at the video. Does this look like an actual, proven therapy to you?
    It looks like one of those internal sales pitches/Powerpoint presentations you see from hospitals, and Cedars-Sinai is playing a part in peer reviewing it, so I wouldn't write it off outright.

BANNED
    And by an actual therapy, you mean an obvious scam that doesn't pass the most cursory of smell tests, right?

First of all, any UV light strong enough to kill bacteria and viruses is strong enough to irritate airways.

Secondly, airways get very narrow, so any use of such a device would be extremely limited even in the best case scenario.

Thirdly, viruses aren't just floating around on the surface of your organs.

TDS , so strong that I bet if a DR said you need this you guys would opt for essential oils .......... funny you guys are pretending this video was put up by alex jones.

https://www-medicaldaily-com.cdn.amp...IarTgoGyv7qzh4

by all means you guys should use clorox.

Moderator and Priest
    difference is that unlike YOU I found out wtf he was referring to after watching the video, I posted the video and you STILL bitched about it w/o watching it, TDS is real.
    You got me on not watching it before commenting, I'll give you that.

But we've know UV lights can kill viruses and bacteria for decades now, and neither Trump nor his advisors on site mentioned anything about new experimental therapies involving intubating a filtered UVA light into the lungs. I dismissed it out of hand, because you have a tendency to lamely defend Trump here no matter what.

BANNED
    you mean you dismissed it because the TDS got to you first??..

trump is a fucking idiot saying shit the way he did, there are dumb fucks out there that will try stupid shit just because he said it, like the AZ couple that took the fish cleaner because the word Hydroxy was there. then again if you are STUPID enough to inject bleach or other shit into your body because a world wrestling federation hall of famer said it could help by all means earn your fucking darwin award. I do think some of you are secretly afraid of people you know try this shit and earn the award.

It looks like one of those internal sales pitches/Powerpoint presentations you see from hospitals, and Cedars-Sinai is playing a part in peer reviewing it, so I wouldn't write it off outright.
    A cursory googling shows they are a shady company that's described as Corona-portunist and whose biggest claim to fame so far has been distributing faulty tests:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/433...st-40-downside

Summary

* Aytu BioSciences' shares have unjustifiably risen on the company's announcement of a licensing deal to distribute a COVID-19 test in the U.S.

* Aytu is selling the test under emergency FDA guidance that I believe will revert to a stricter standard once more tests reach the market.

* Aytu has limited special knowledge or knowhow in diagnostic testing; it has licensed this test from a third-party manufacturer and is merely a U.S. distributor.

* Aytu has loudly announced progress on sourcing and receiving its diagnostic tests; information on sales and order backlog is less clear.

* Aytu’s tangled capital structure reflects a tendency to dilute shareholders via obscure transactions.

I believe companies that have recently announced gigantic operational pivots into Coronavirus responses are good candidates for sale or short sale. One such company is Aytu BioSciences (AYTU), a very active Coronavirus announcer with a suspect historical product portfolio and a head-spinning capital structure.

On March 10, shares of Aytu rocketed from $0.35 to around $1.50 on the company’s announcement it had secured exclusive license to distribute a IgG/IgM Rapid Test for Coronavirus in the U.S. Amid an acceleration in fear about the pandemic, Aytu’s test captured investors’ imaginations with the promise of a 2-10 minute result reporting time and while-you-wait, point of care testing. What investors may be overlooking is that the test has a clinical weakness: it produces false negatives; and a positive test result does not necessarily mean a patient is actively transmitting the disease. These attributes make the test vulnerable to competition as rival companies large and small work to respond to the pandemic.

Aytu's test originates from a Chinese manufacturer and has already racked up a spotty regulatory record: According to an NBC News report the test - which is produced by Aytu partners Zhejiang Orient Gene Biotech and its subsidiary Healgen - is not approved by China's regulators

[...]

According to NBC News, China has now banned export of the test, and Zhejiang told NBC that it has "stopped exporting the tests and told its clients that it did not have the necessary license." (Aytu has issued a press release that addresses this reporting. CEO Josh Disbrow said in the release, "I am excited to say we're in the final stages of securing yet another IgG/IgM antibody rapid test for U.S. distribution. This test is already approved by China's NMPA, is being regularly exported from China, and has strong clinical performance.")
    [...]

Moderator and Priest
    you mean you dismissed it because the TDS got to you first??..
    I think it's more your attitude. Usually whenever I see people tossing around phrases like TDS, I tune them out.

BANNED
    I think it's more your attitude. Usually whenever I see people tossing around phrases like TDS, I tune them out.
    there was nothing in my post, other than the video. have a good weekend.

Moderator and Priest
    A cursory googling shows they are a shady company that's described as Corona-portunist and whose biggest claim to fame so far has been distributing faulty tests...
    Yeah, well I'm taking everything with a grain of salt these days. So many things can be spun so many ways, I'll just wait and see if hospitals adopt it or not.

I'm not emotionally invested in it either way.

Moderator and Priest
    there was nothing in my post, other than the video. have a good weekend.
    Previous posting history. You're tendency to be accusatory, ever on the attack, all usually backed up some pretty lame defenses to your justifications of such means that any good point you may have gets lost in the noise.

BANNED
    pretty much what all of you do here regarding anything trump says.

https://babylonbee.com/news/cnn-move...XWzSv3s_TDUBjw
    CNN Moves Headquarters Underground After Trump Says The Sun Is Good
    funny as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Draxil View Post
    I'm with jkcerda on this one to an extent. In my county there have been 396 confirmed cases and 36 deaths, out of a population of ~600,000. Statewide, it's 2,200/2 million. I thought the point of the stay at home orders was to "flatten the curve" and not overwhelm the healthcare systems, but the curve never really even started here. I'm a nurse in a ~500 bed hospital (current census < 100) and get daily updates about the number of covid-19 patients in the hospital. It's never exceeded 20 including those under investigation/not determined; even if every one of them was in the ICU (they're not), it would leave 16 free ICU beds. The 26-bay PACU I work in was converted to a stand-by covid unit, with 6 bays reserved for actual recovery. The hospital used to average 40 surgeries a day during normal times. Now it's an average of 7. Thankfully, the hospital system has voluntarily said it will make up for lost hours of all staff during the pandemic, paying the difference between actual hours worked a week and the average of hours worked a week between 1/1 and 3/1, provided that you are willing to work wherever they tell you. For PACU nurses that means going to ICU if needed, but for the majority of the OR RNs and floor RNs that means folding laundry, cleaning, working in shipping and receiving, or just staying home. I think a New York City-style response in Overland Park, Kansas was a little bit of an overreaction and I think that's the same across large swaths of this country.

I'm all for being cautious. Mandate masks in public. Probably still smart to forbid concerts, sporting events, and other mass gatherings. But I think you could safely open up a lot of stores, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. and get the economy moving a little bit with some pretty minor adjustments--separate tables more at restaurants, block off 2/3 of movie theater seats, maintain distancing requirements for queues, require masks etc. Curve's flattened, here, and we're in no danger of overwhelming our hospitals. Loosen up a bit.

THANK YOU.

Moderator and Priest
    Here's another example of "WHAT HE REALLY MEANT..." used verbatim.

Breitbart - Fact Check: No, Trump didn't propose injecting people with disinfectant.

Trump used the word “inject,” but what he meant was using a process — which he left “medical doctors” to define — in which patients’ lungs might be cleared of the virus, given new knowledge about its response to light and other factors.
    And the exact quote...

So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous—whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light—and I think you said that that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you’re going to test that too. It sounds interesting.

Then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that. So that, you're going to have to use medical doctors. But it sounds interesting to me. ”

Stop the train, reverse course, he was only pretending to be an idiot "sarcastically":

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...were-sarcastic

President Trump on Friday said he was being sarcastic when he suggested multiple times a day earlier that scientists should consider exposing the body to light, heat and disinfectants as a potential treatment for the coronavirus.

"I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen," Trump told reporters at an Oval Office bill signing.

"I was asking a sarcastic — and a very sarcastic question — to the reporters in the room about disinfectant on the inside," the president continued. "But it does kill it, and it would kill it on the hands and that would make things much better. That was done in the form of a sarcastic question to the reporters."

When a journalist in the Oval Office pointed out that Trump had turned to experts next to the stage when he first raised the idea on Thursday, the president claimed he was asking those officials "whether or not sun and disinfectant on the hands … can help us."

The president's explanation drew skepticism among those who watched the briefing, where Trump directly turned to other government officials to ask about the idea.

"It didn't seem like it was coming off as sarcastic when he was talking and turning to Dr. Birx on the side," Fox News anchor Bret Baier said on air after Trump's walk-back was reported.

Trump on Thursday latched on to a presentation from a Department of Homeland Security official who detailed initial findings that the coronavirus deteriorates more quickly when subjected to higher levels of heat, humidity and ultraviolet rays from the sun.

"So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn't been checked but you're going to test it," Trump said. "And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside of the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting."

Trump also asked if there was a way to use disinfectants on the body "by injection inside or almost a cleaning."

Asked later if it was irresponsible to give Americans the impression that going outside amid the pandemic would be safe based on the findings, Trump turned to Deborah Birx, a physician coordinating the White House response to the pandemic, and inquired about using the light and heat as a treatment.

"Deborah, have you ever heard of that? The heat and the light, relative to certain viruses, yes, but relative to this virus?"

"Not as a treatment," Birx replied. "I mean, certainly ... when you have a fever, it helps your body respond. But not as — I've not seen heat or light."

"I think it’s a great thing to look at," Trump said.

The president's remarks were widely and quickly panned by medical experts, elected officials and private companies who warned Americans not to ingest chemicals.

Former Food and Drug Administration head Scott Gottlieb said there's "no circumstance" in which an individual should inject themselves with a disinfectant.

The company that makes Lysol also warned on Friday against ingesting its products.

The White House sought to pin the backlash on the media, issuing a statement that accused the press of taking Trump's remarks out of context.

“President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterday’s briefing," press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said.

BANNED
    https://time.com/5825860/coronavirus...xCcMeLZoR1rOEU
    Ultraviolet light at wavelengths between 200 and 280 nanometers, also known as UV-C light, “causes DNA either to change shape, or acts like molecular scissors,” says Beckett, . “It will cut that genetic material and cause little nicks in it.”

Complex organisms and even some bacteria can repair those small lacerations themselves. Viruses, which are molecularly much simpler than bacteria, don’t stand a chance.

UV-C light is a long-established disinfectant in health care settings. Over the last 10 years, hospitals around the world have adopted machines that sterilize rooms and equipment with powerful blasts of light. Because UV-C can also cause sunburn and the cell mutations that lead to skin cancer, most machines currently in use can only work safely and effectively in rooms empty of people, making them impractical for use in high-traffic areas like waiting rooms and other common spaces.
    the UV light is interesting, the biggest part is the normal U>V light is harmful to people, needs to be UV-C.

Starker, maybe he is realizing that those who might try it will be his supporters and that will cost him votes.

(Meme removed)

Page 79 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2934394449545964697475767778798081828384899499104109114119 ... LastLast