TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 116 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358108 ... LastLast

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

BANNED
    DAMN, hope things improve quick. hope everyone has supplies.

Moderator and Priest
    It's amazing how many people on Facebook still believe that this is all a hoax perpetrated by the Democrats to harm our economy during the election season.

It amazes me even more that these same people use the word "sheeple" in almost every post they make.

As for the hype, the most realistic worst case scenario would be over 100,000 people infected, with 5,000 dead, and that'll only occur if those in charge continually fuck things up to the point of gross ineptitude. Like I've been saying, it won't get anywhere near the point that we may as well consider this the last days of the end of the world as we know it. It's also not some little problem that'll go away by itself in a couple weeks, either. It's going to get uglier, that's a given, but it's not gonna be so bad that we need to start shivving each other for the last packs of TP at Aldi's.

Be wary, be smart, and don't panic.

Part of that thing about Coronavirus patients traveling all over the place is due to....

To be honest I'm not sure how to articulate this well. It's an instinct rooted in Chinese cultural psychology but it's hard to explain in a way that makes sense to people who aren't familiar with the mindset. The part I do know how to explain it is that there are some cultural factors where cheating the system, as long as it's someone else being harmed not your own hierarchy, is in many parts regarded as a positive thing that is a testament to the cleverness of the person doing it.

The whole thing may be a bit overblown in terms of the panic behavior. It still should be taken seriously and realistically the containment efforts are about slowing the spread enough that the number of inpatient beds needed stays low enough that the system doesn't crash.

Moderator and Priest
    Please, Tony, for the sake of us all, try your best to explain to us woefully ignorant plebeian idiots who lack your astounding worldly wisdom how it's actually Feng Shui, a specific type of Buddhism practiced exclusively by a small cult of Schezuan chefs in the Hunan province, that's driven the spread of Coronavirus, and not the fact that it's mostly down to tourists visiting China, unknowingly contracting the disease, then bringing it back home with them like all the fuckwits think.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    DAMN, hope things improve quick. hope everyone has supplies.
    This afternoon, my mom "To the butcher shop, NAO"

Moderator and Priest
    That brings up a good point. If we got into lockdown, do I have enough cold cuts?

BANNED
    better yet, do you have enough cash saved to keep you home?

Moderator and Priest
    I might have to cut back on buying my fine foreign cheeses, but I think I should be okay.

What's scary is that the CDC has reported a confirmed case in Rome, GA, which is where I'm going Tuesday. The chances of me catching it are incredibly low, but it's still a bit unnerving thinking about it.

Moderator and Priest
    This is hilarious.

Dumb shit actually brought up the impeachment during his photo op with the CDC.

Some counter info to what was posted earlier.

Relevant to both this and all the political threads:

https://www.epsilontheory.com/gell-mann-amnesia/

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.
    In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”
    – Michael Crichton (1942-2008)

Some counter info to what was posted earlier.
    Whoever made that list is an idiot. Please tell me that's satire.

First, his statistic is false. The death rate of Coronavirus in the US was cited at 3%.

Second that "there's less deaths than the flu"....That's not how fucking statistics and data work, even an 8th grader could spot the flaw.

By his logic: Anthrax kills less people than the flu every year. Therefore it is a less deadly disease. That is obviously stupid to the point of insanity. We don't know how many people Corona would kill "annually" because you're comparing an early stage pandemic that's taken place over the course of two months, to an annually occurring disease with a vaccine that is far more treatable.

As for "racism being more deadly than disease"...the black death with its estimated 50% death rate would love to have a word with you.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 7th Mar 2020 at 22:57.

It's satire. Unfortunately it is also close to the truth as many understand it.

But it is satire... right, iceman?

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    What's scary is that the CDC has reported a confirmed case in Rome, GA, which is where I'm going Tuesday.
    MODS! Please isolate the above user for a minimum of 14 days after his last contact. Thank you.

I might have to cut back on buying my fine foreign cheeses, but I think I should be okay.

What's scary is that the CDC has reported a confirmed case in Rome, GA, which is where I'm going Tuesday. The chances of me catching it are incredibly low, but it's still a bit unnerving thinking about it.
    Take a surgical mask and bring it with you, man.
    The only other way to get infected are the TEARS and it's totally impossible.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    MODS! Please isolate the above user for a minimum of 14 days after his last contact. Thank you.
    Way to go! Now I'm obligated to blow my nose in your sock drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Take a surgical mask and bring it with you, man.
    The only other way to get infected are the TEARS and it's totally impossible.
    Honestly, it should be the sick people wearing the masks. They're the ones blowing infectious bodily fluids out of their faces onto people's clothes, which can linger for days after. A mask blocks that shit from getting out in the first place.

BANNED
    Renz. Good luck. Don’t forget I will always love you

Moderator and Priest
    I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU, JK!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    It's satire. Unfortunately it is also close to the truth as many understand it.

But it is satire... right, iceman?
    Not satire. The truth. Whole things being blown out of proportion. Fear is worse than the virus itself.

Way to go! Now I'm obligated to blow my nose in your sock drawer.

Honestly, it should be the sick people wearing the masks. They're the ones blowing infectious bodily fluids out of their faces onto people's clothes, which can linger for days after. A mask blocks that shit from getting out in the first place.
    You're right, but there are too many "healthy carriers" around with NO symptoms! So you must act preemptively!

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Not satire. The truth. Whole things being blown out of proportion. Fear is worse than the virus itself.
    That's a sorta yeah, sorta no. Sure, the media's playing it for all it's worth, loading up the big, boomy graphics, and breaking out the talking head experts to give us breathless accounts of how things can go, like, REAL bad, real quick. An epidemic is great for ratings, so this response is to be expected. It isn't anything new. It's been happening literally for decades now. Anyone pointing out this fact isn't some super woke free thinking individual who's above it all. Stating the obvious doesn't make anyone smart, no matter how dead serious and smug the people in the memes are doing their best to look.

Given how virulent this thing is, that it hasn't broken out, and infected millions of people by this point is a good indicator that our various epidemic response teams across the world have done their job, and kept the situation mostly under control. It's still not over with, but we're probably approaching the worst of it, which isn't all that terrible.

But on that same note, given how virulent this thing is, if we don't pay it a healthy amount of cautious respect, and people start getting sloppy because they're taking the current state of things for granted, it can break loose, spiral out of control, and give the world a good, hard reaming out.

So yeah, the thing is being blown out of proportions a bit. But no, the fear isn't worse than the virus. It's pretty bad, and needs to be treated seriously, and with level heads.

Well a day later I found this:

So maybe the shortage is over. Though those had only been out for an hour.

Honestly, at least here it also depends on what media you follow. It's obviously a top news item everywhere, but some outlets come across as pretty level-headed, while others go for one variety of insanity or another. Under these circumstances, I can't really say that The Media are doing a bad job. Some are, some aren't, and it's pretty much no different than it is with any other big issue.

LittleFlower
    Haru Basho has started today (the March Sumo-wrestling tournament in Japan). Without spectators. I had not expected it, but it wasn't fun to watch at all. Without spectators the tournament lacks spirit, lacks energy. Not fun at all.

I hope the Olympics won't be played without spectators too. I'm afraid that would ruin the event.

Edit:
    People are making nice websites to track the infections.
    Here's one for the Netherlands. Very detailed.
    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...72254029bf6251

Look at the nice graphs.
    Red numbers to the left:
    "Bevestigd aantal besmettingen" means: "confirmed number of infections" (currently 265).
    "waarvan overleden" means: "of which have died" (3).
    Yellow graphs to the right:
    "Nieuw aantal besmetting per dag" means: "number of new infections per day" (77 today).
    "Verloop" means: "increase in number of cases" (getting to 300).
    Both graphs look pretty exponential to me.

My neighboring city (165k people, 10 km from my house) has 2 infections.
    The small village (5k) where I grew up has an infection.
    The larger village (20k) where I went to high-school has an infection.
    The small city (90k) where my dad used to work has 5 infections.

I don't think this can be contained anymore.
    The weird thing is: most people I've spoken to about this think it'll blow over. They said the virus has been contained in China (not true). And that the number of cases in NL wasn't rising anymore (also not true). As we haven't tested many people (too expensive, causing too much panic, etc) and the incubation time is between 1 week and 4 weeks, I don't think anyone has a clue how many people are infected yet.

Our ministry of Foreign Affairs has finally said "don't go to northern Italy". Before today they haven't said that yet. A week ago, a group of 900 students from the north of NL went skiing in Northern Italy. Just like that. Tony had some stupid (really stupid) remarks about the Chinese. The fact is: all over the western world people are egoistical, opportunistic and dumb. It's one of the reasons this can't be contained, I think.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 8th Mar 2020 at 10:58.

I don't think we're anywhere close to the end of it. Over here in the US, we're still in the denial stage.

Our response has been too late and too reactive. Because of the way this virus spreads, the late onset of symptoms, and the fact that it broke out during winter cold & flu season, it is hard to tell who is infected. By the time someone steps forward, they've already been spreading the virus for a week or two. So if we keep responding to individual cases in a reactive fashion like we have been, we'll always be responding to what the virus did a week or two ago and not what it's doing now.

And even when we know where there's an epidemic, we're not responding to it seriously enough. We've known for 1.5 weeks that the virus is spreading through community transmission in CA and WA, with Seattle being the hottest spot. Now, with >100 cases and 16 deaths, Seattle is still open for business, kids are going to school tomorrow, student athletics are still on, the downtown public market is still open, theater, sporting events, conferences, etc. If Seattle avoids a major widespread outbreak, it will be because of individual prudence, not public health policy.

Unless people start taking it seriously, we're going to end up with multiple regions of the country looking like Northern Italy.

Meanwhile, The Great Orange One, this past Friday (2/06), boasted to the people at the CDC headquarters during his visit there:

'“I like this stuff. I really get it,” Trump claimed during his trip Friday to the headquarters of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”'

However, in reality: 'Scientists have had to explain to Trump a number of times that a vaccine against coronavirus can’t be developed for public use in a matter of a few months, as he has claimed. They have also had to explain the concept of antibodies to him.'

Yep, we've got a narcissistic moron at the helm of our country and we're all gonna die. God save us from fools and madmen, ffs. *smh*

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/snl-w...091309778.html

Yeah, Trump is so concerned about the whole coronavirus thing that he interrupted his own ramblings (also while visiting the CDC headquarters) on the subject to ask how his ratings were on Fox News (2:23 into the clip).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FZ3BwIeiE18" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't even, any more .........

Page 8 of 116 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358108 ... LastLast