https://www.adnkronos.com/fatti/cron...rEwfbo2WC0nA1A

The head of the Army is positive.....

399-359+113 (death / ex ICU)=153 new ICUs patients

in 1 day

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    Meanwhile, The Great Orange One...

I don't even, any more .........
    The guy isn't a scientist. This isn't a simple subject. I don't like him either but he's getting entire too much flak for speaking his mind. With another leader they'd keep quiet and be advised where you don't see it, that's all.

Moderator and Priest
    This is just Trump making things about himself again, which we should all be used to by now.

Though as usual, Trump putting his two cents in has turned this into a liberal vs. conservative fight. So now we have one group of people clutching their pearls, saying "THIS IS SERIOUS", while another group is running around filming themselves licking doorknobs at old folk's homes cuz it triggers people.

WELCOME TO AMERICA!

Well, it is serious. Not to the level where people should panic, but definitely to the level where everyone should take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    However, in reality: 'Scientists have had to explain to Trump a number of times that a vaccine against coronavirus canít be developed for public use in a matter of a few months, as he has claimed.
    On that note: German scientists have found that the existing drug Camostat Mesilate blocks coronavirus from entering into the lung cells.
    Here is a good English translation and further links: https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus...at_might_stop/

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    This is just Trump making things about himself again, which we should all be used to by now.

Though as usual, Trump putting his two cents in has turned this into a liberal vs. conservative fight. So now we have one group of people clutching their pearls, saying "THIS IS SERIOUS", while another group is running around filming themselves licking doorknobs at old folk's homes cuz it triggers people.

WELCOME TO AMERICA!
    'MURICA please.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I don't like him either but he's getting entire too much flak for speaking his mind.
    It's not that he speaks his mind, but the contents (and lack of contents) thereof.

Moderator and Priest
    DUUURRRPPP!

LittleFlower
    I'm not very familiar with the American cultural heritage.
    But I think the left one is Larry.
    The middle one must be Moe. And the right one then must be Curly.
    Am I correct ?

Spot on.

Out of morbid curiosity, I've been checking out what's happening in major countries that aren't having an outbreak.

So far, only a small handful of travel related cases in Russia. I guess Russians don't get around much? Likewise, only a couple of cases in Indonesia, even though there's a lot of regional travel in and out? I dunno, but maybe detection there is a bit lagging.

The real surprise to me was India. With the volume of travel into and out of India from all over, and the population density, it's strange that the case load there is small. I'm hoping it's a sign that the virus is less contagious in a warmer climate, but that wouldn't explain why there's more cases in Malaysia and Singapore. Otherwise, an outbreak there could be big.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    I'm not very familiar with the American cultural heritage.
    But I think the left one is Larry.
    The middle one must be Moe. And the right one then must be Curly.
    Am I correct ?
    They're the Speak No Evil, See No Evil, Hear No Evil monkeys.

Hailing from Turkey. No reported cases here yet, but I don't believe what our goverment says.

Moderator and Priest

Moderator and Priest
    Some sound life advice.

Some sound life advice.

It sounds like a gunpoint discussion.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    It sounds like a gunpoint discussion.
    welcome to Murika
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...republicans-on

(Meme removed)

just more proof they are all in the pockets of the HC industry
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...cy-bill-119729

BANNED
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...EcXYw1SZIt1RSc
    Boston & NY have massive public transportation , which are ripe for spreading disease.

Still Subjective
    Doesn't everywhere?

BANNED
    here in kommiefornia it's not really feasible to just be on public transportation, if you want a decent yob you need a car so you can commute to it, we looked at the train & buses to get my daughter to school (60 mile trip one way); it would take her over 4 hrs to get there IF she made all the connections on time and that was ONE way. Boston & NY have decent subway systems, CA does not. other than the time the price was basically a damn car payment per month..

Credit to the Meme Policeman regarding people making flu comparisons:

This sort of analysis has been popular among segments of both the left and the right over the past few weeks. In a rush to dismiss the problem, people compare the death toll of the coronavirus to that of the common flu, or perhaps with automobile deaths, cancer, diabetes, etc. While this is appealing to the rational brain, it makes the fallacy of comparing different risk types. More specifically, fat tailed vs. thin tailed risks, which author Nassim Taleb has famously discussed at length in lectures and books. The mathematics behind it gets quite complicated, but here’s the gist to understanding why it’s simply wrong to compare the fat-tailed risks of the coronavirus and thin tailed ones like the common flu or cancer.

-To illustrate different worlds of probabilities, imagine you randomly took two people and were told their total height was 12 feet. Based on the probability distribution in this scenario, the most likely result would be that each were 6 ft tall. It would be extraordinarily unlikely that one was 4 feet and one was 8 ft. Now imagine you took two random people and were told their total net worth was $30 million. Based on the probability in this scenario, the most likely result is that one is worth $30M and the other $0, it would be extraordinarily unlikely that each were worth $15M. It’s clearly important to distinguish between different probabilities or your assessment of a situation could be way off.

-Another example is if you gave 100 people money to gamble with for a day, you’d expect a certain result, a small-moderate loss, but not a catastrophic one. There might be a few who lost everything, but some would win, and overall there’s almost no chance of losing everything. Compare this with having just one person gamble for 100 days. The chances of catastrophe and losing everything are far greater. The risks are not the same, even though they could appear to be superficially. The first is a thin tailed risk, the second a fat tailed one.

-Often you’ll year something like, “You are statistically more likely to die drowning in your bathtub than from a terrorist attack.” This makes the same fallacy as this meme, in wrongly comparing risk types. There is virtually no chance that bathtub drownings will double this year, let alone go up by 10X, it’s a mostly known, thin tailed risk. But there is a chance that terrorist deaths could double, or go up 10-100X. There’s also no chance of bathtub drownings causing a global recession or a war. Thus, it’s completely rational to worry about terrorism more than bathtub drownings, as the two are radically different in their risk types. The response should also be different, it would be unwise to shift anti-terrorism spending to bathtub safety programs (at least assuming the anti-terrorism spending decreased the risk).

-The same is true of potential pandemics (fat tails) vs common diseases (thin tails). There’s virtually no chance that common flu deaths will double this year, let alone go up by 10 times. There is a risk that the coronavirus deaths will go up 10, 100, 1000 times current levels. There’s essentially no risk of cancer causing a global recession or overwhelming our medical system, there is of a pandemic. Comparing the two different risk types is wrong, and even dangerous. One event is known and can be controlled for, the other is unknown and potentially catastrophic.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    just more proof they are all in the pockets of the HC industry
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...cy-bill-119729
    The biggest takeaway from that article is that no one knows exactly what's going on, and no one's on the same page about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post

399-359+113 (death / ex ICU)=153 new ICUs patients

in 1 day

440-399+66 (death / ex ICU)=105 new ICUs patients

No more acceleration in ICU! (153->105)

The biggest takeaway from that article is that no one knows exactly what's going on, and no one's on the same page about anything.
    For me one thing stands out -- the debate about making testing free and making vaccines as cheap as possible, if not free of cost. Why on dear Earth is this a debate at all? What is the point of testing people if you only test those who can afford it? And do your Republicans not know how vaccines work? What herd immunity is?

LittleFlower
    It's America.
    Somebody has to get rich off of this.
    If not, that's communism.
    Can't have communism in the bestest country in the world.

Page 9 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429343944495459 ... LastLast