TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 336

Thread: Cancel culture cancelled the thread on cancel culture

  1. #1
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die

    Cancel culture cancelled the thread on cancel culture

    That is exactly what happened.

    This is the new cancer - you can't even have a discussion without the uberwoke getting so butthurt they need the thread shut down.

  2. #2
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    I'm just now finished reading through a news post on Facebook where a few dozen people were laughing and celebrating a BLM supporter being struck and killed by a car during a protest, and now I come here and see this shit.

    Everyone is overly sensitive. No one is happy. Anger has long since overridden common sense and decency. We have become a society of irredeemable cunts.

  3. #3
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: they/them mayhem
    do you consider this thread to be a mature response, subjeff?

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Slinging personal insults is a great way to convince people that moderation didn't need to take place.

  5. #5
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    The truth of the matter is that no matter how much you don't like cancel culture, you can't cancel cancel culture, because if you cancel cancel culture, you're merely perpetuating more cancel culture.

  6. #6
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I'm just now finished reading through a news post on Facebook where a few dozen people were laughing and celebrating a BLM supporter being struck and killed by a car during a protest, and now I come here and see this shit.
    I really don't see what that has got to do with this. At all.

    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    do you consider this thread to be a mature response, subjeff?
    More than your last response to me in the other thread, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Slinging personal insults is a great way to convince people that moderation didn't need to take place.
    There is no insult here. Can you quote where I insulted anyone?


    Really, the closing of that thread was daft. Why was it locked? Some people wanted to talk about what they perceive as problems. I personally feel there is a problem with all this "wokeness" - it's stifling of discussion.

    For example I've stated that the law is biased against men when it comes to rape accusations because it objectively and factually is where it comes to anonymity. But people can't handle that and will accuse me of all sorts, Dia posts a tragic story, and dethtoll personifies this entire problem by ignoring any substance and going straight for the man. Wokeness personified.

    No one will actually address my concern. Not once.

    Yeah, I think Nimesh Patel was a victim of cancel culture on that night and it was ridiculous. You have to be thick as shit to not understand that joke he told and twice as thick to get offended by it.

    No one will discuss the fact behind this. It's just dismissed as (let me find it) "i'm not even going to address the rest of your post. much like every other hot take you've had over the years, it's simply not worth addressing." Of course it's not to you, because it doesn't fit your wokeview.

  7. #7
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I really don't see what that has got to do with this. At all.
    Just illustrating that the internet has become a never ending dogpile of fucky fuckness.

  8. #8
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    But it doesn't have to be.

    Why can't we just discuss things.

    Try it.

    What do you actually think of the anonymity rules (in the UK at least, don't know about other places) where the accused is named and in the newspapers, but the accuser stays anonymous unless it's proved they actually lied and they are charged?

    Just try it.

  9. #9
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Well, you know what they say. The first step towards a sincere discussion is to try not to bait people into a thread with a loaded title specifically written to provoke a negative reaction.

  10. #10
    Member
    Registered: May 2003
    Location: Minecraft
    It was accurate, though. It's hilariously hypocritical to proclaim cancel culture doesn't exist in one breath, then demand a thread discussing it be locked with the next. If someone doesn't like a thread on a forum, they can just ignore it. Denying everyone else's right to reply is just going to make you look bad and give the impression you don't actually have a counter-argument.

  11. #11
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Blame me for it then. It was a shit thread where people were wearing their hearts on their sleeves, and it was probably going nowhere good. I made a judgement call, and now here we are.

  12. #12
    El Shagmeister
    Registered: Jul 2000
    Location: Under your fingernails.

    Burn dis.


  13. #13
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2009
    Location: thiefgold.com
    I remember just a few years ago, the "woke" crowd protesting by the thousands in the streets over some nasty comments that some infamous figure made. That's cool.

    The tragic cause of the present protests aside, where were these enlightened crusaders when gays were being thrown off buildings and women sold into slavery by a far right religious group?

    Where were they when countless women were being murdered for anything and nothing?

    If they're so 'woke' and enlightened, and oh so wise, where was their outrage for these very real atrocities?

    If comments are more offensive to you than real evil, you need to reevaluate your priorities.

  14. #14
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2002
    Location: Edmonton
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    There is no insult here. Can you quote where I insulted anyone?
    Yes:

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff
    ...you can't even have a discussion without the uberwoke getting so butthurt they need the thread shut down
    There's legitimate discussion to be had on this subject, but it's not going to happen if you open the topic hurling insults.

  15. #15
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: I think I've been here
    I never heard about Nimesh Patel, but I just read an article by him about this where he recounts the experience and concludes that we shouldn't be jumping to a predetermined conclusion based on the action of a small group.

    I'd like to add that there are small vocal groups on both sides of this argument. And they rile up people on a global scale. We recently had a mass brawl with the police here in Stuttgart and by all accounts the people involved basically thought they were fighting against the same racist police force who killed George Floyd. In Stuttgart, Germany.

    My advice is to look at the reality outside your own window instead of the internet and consider with a level headed mind what's more likely to happen out there tonight. Will an innocent man get temporarily incarcerated. Maybe. Will several women get raped? Definitely. Are black people treated as second class citizen ... in Ireland? Are women congregating outside to deny my freedom, or am I still pretty well off, possibly partly because I'm born a white male? Which is nobody's fault. Not even the Romans.

  16. #16
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: The Land of Make Believe
    I'm glad this topic has been revisited, because hopefully someone can explain to me what was wrong with anything JK Rowling has said.

    I have nothing but sympathy and compassion for transgender people, but I agree with her that someone with a dick shouldn't just be able to declare themself a woman and instantly gain access to woman-only spaces. And even if I didn't agree with her, then I'd still think it was a perfectly valid and reasonable opinion, and not remotely bigoted.

    When did the bar for bigotry become so low? It seems that if you don't agree with everything special interest groups believe (much of it without a shred of evidence, it must be noted) you're condemned as intolerant and hateful.

    At the moment in the UK we have an issue with puberty blockers being given to minors who may be trans. If you're opposed to this practice then congratulations, trans rights activists believe you're a fascist. It's preposterous.

    Here's an analogy. You will have to go a very long way to find anyone who likes ladies with large chests as much as me. I love feminine women, to the point of exaggerated femininity, and breasts that most men would probably consider cartoonishly proportioned. If it was up to me, you'd be able to get boob jobs on the NHS. But I still don't think minors should be allowed to undergo implant surgery - not because I hate boobs, but BECAUSE THEY ARE MINORS. And I think life changing decisions like that should only be made by mentally competent adults.

    Similarly, I don't hate trans people - why on earth would I, or anyone else? - but I don't think fricking children should be permitted to undergo any kind of transition process, surgical, chemical or otherwise. I think I have an innate understanding of this issue more than most; while I am absolutely a heterosexual man, if pressed I would definitely admit to a degree of genderfluidity. But I should not be allowed into a women's refuge, not even if I was wearing heels and a dress. And I certainly shouldn't be allowed to sue female beauticians if they refused to wax my lady scrotum.

    Back to JK. The sheer deluge of hatred that she has received, whether it be death threats, rape threats (if I had a dollar for every transperson who has suggested JK suck their lady-dick, I'd have enough to purchase a whole new wardrobe - male and female), hardcore pornography (much of it posted into her Twitter contests for children - stay classy, guys!) and so on, is quite astonishing. And in fact, it's entirely indistinguishable from the hatred that women receive every day from the most toxically masculine of men, which tells its own story.

    We've reached a situation where lesbians and hetero men are called transphobic because they don't want to date a woman with a cock. How has it got this far? That's the question people like Joanne Rowling have been brave enough to ask. And I think future generations will judge this generation harshly for the way it allowed biological women to be treated.

  17. #17
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: they/them mayhem
    "i have nothing but sympathy and compassion for transgender people" "IF U HAV DIK U NOT WOMAN" bro like why you so obsessed with peoples' genitals bro do you hear yourself bro you prefaced your entire post with a bald-faced lie bro why would you lie like that bro

    anyway back to subjeff's little tantrum, this is kind of my issue with TTLG, on literally any decent forum that isn't this one, seeing a thread being closed down and starting a brand new one because you absolutely must give the world your hottest of takes would earn you at least a suspension, but because this is TTLG he gets what he wants: a continued debate so he can come out looking like the victor when people inevitably give up trying to talk sense to him

    that's what matters to him, that's all that matters to him

  18. #18
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2003
    Location: The Plateaux Of Mirror
    Man, I have to admit, I didn't realize a discussion on the internet could change so many people's minds. I'm impressed.

  19. #19
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2002
    Location: Edmonton
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    I'm glad this topic has been revisited, because hopefully someone can explain to me what was wrong with anything JK Rowling has said.
    I’m not the best person to explain this because the issue is complex and I’m still learning about it, but I’ll give it a shot. There are a couple problems with the argument that trans women shouldn’t be allowed in women’s spaces.

    First, to assume that what she’s saying is true means you also have to assume, at a high level, that the distinction between men and women is something that can be objectively quantified. Yes, there's genitalia and chromosomes, but they don't explain the depression and dysphoria some people feel when their assigned gender doesn’t match what they know they actually are and the relief and the sense of wholeness that comes from adopting their true gender. To reduce the argument to, “Declaring you’re a women to gain access to female-only spaces is unacceptable” is to say that I, a person who has no idea what your lived experience is actually like, knows better than you about yourself. It invalidates what is clearly a very real and traumatic experience and ignores the actual reason people transition.

    Second, statistically trans people are overwhelmingly more likely to be abused than abusers. So if your argument is the safety of women's-only spaces, you’re going to have to start banning lesbians or even straight women who are strong enough to overpower their peers. What's the excuse if they're just as much of a danger? Besides, a deranged person can already go into whatever bathroom or shelter they want to commit assault, so we wouldn’t really be solving that problem, even if did exist. It's like the people insisting that gay men shouldn't adopt because they're more likely to be pedophiles.

    In the end, what it boils down to is plain and simple bigotry masquerading as an appeal to logic. Go on any TERF or so-called gender critical forum and what you'll see is mainly just people being grossed out by trans people and coming up with reasons to justify their discomfort, and that is exactly what JK Rowling did.

  20. #20
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    I started the original thread as cancel culture is a growing movement in the world and is a subject worth discussing. Why not just delete posts if things get out of hand rather than closing the thread down?

    [Edit]
    Wow. The difference a day makes. A whole heap of super emotional people came in with a clear agenda (eg Frog), didn't bother to read the OP and went on a massive rant and started with the personal attacks again and refused to listen or have actual debate. If we can't discuss things in civil conversation then how does anything ever change?

    To reiterate - Those who do the sexual assault, rape etc need the full force of the law thrown at them. But there are also those who make false claims purposely to destroy a person. These people need to be punished as well. And it is them that is creating pessimism, and leads to the truly guilty people getting away with it.

    Part of cancel culture is the presumption of guilt without any evidence to back that up. That is just wrong, and is not the way we should be going.
    Last edited by icemann; 6th Jul 2020 at 23:38.

  21. #21
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Okay, go on then. Prove that there is a rise of false claims as you say there is. Show your data so that everyone can evaluate whether what you're claiming is in fact true and that there is a significant problem worth discussing, instead of a vanishingly rare and drummed up occurrence in the face of a much bigger problem of violence against women.

  22. #22
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    It was accurate, though. It's hilariously hypocritical to proclaim cancel culture doesn't exist in one breath, then demand a thread discussing it be locked with the next. If someone doesn't like a thread on a forum, they can just ignore it. Denying everyone else's right to reply is just going to make you look bad and give the impression you don't actually have a counter-argument.
    Not the point. It was a bad faith thread intended to be shitty right from the OP. This one isn't any different. It's really just an embarrassment to the forum. You can pretend SubjEff's sealioning here is some attempt to get a 'discussion', but you can't do that without acknowledging that the odds are stacked against women in the first place. If you don't see that, you can't have an actual conversation, because you're essentially a blinkered idiot.

    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    anyway back to subjeff's little tantrum, this is kind of my issue with TTLG, on literally any decent forum that isn't this one, seeing a thread being closed down and starting a brand new one because you absolutely must give the world your hottest of takes would earn you at least a suspension
    I don't always agree with dethtoll here, but this is it - you can't pretend this was a good faith thread. And if you're okay with this sort of shit, then let's just let other people start threads glorifying violence against women, why not?
    Last edited by Sulphur; 6th Jul 2020 at 23:45.

  23. #23
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    You just went in with a clear bias like always.

  24. #24
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Sorry, you don't get to claim you want real discourse then accuse everyone who disagrees with your premise of being biased. Again, bad faith. If you truly meant that you said all you had to say in the OP (yes, i read it, nice baseless assumption there), then live up to your word.
    Last edited by froghawk; 7th Jul 2020 at 00:06.

  25. #25
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    We just had a woman's opinion on a thread that clearly needed one, but go ahead and call it a bias, icemann.

    I've said this before, and I can't wait for SubjEff to jump on this again: anyone who wants to 'discuss' things about 50% of the population without inviting or acknowledging input from the population in question is just jerking off into a mirror.

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •