TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Rebuilding a library

Rebuilding a library

I'll look here for help. A burglary wiped out my recent console collection (which had few recent games, mind you), my laptop, and my TV, while my desktop is not only old but running Linux. So, I got a Switch. After Super Mario Odyssey, and having played Breath of the Wild on the Wii U, what should I look for? I am all about them Dark Souls games, but have also played them all. However, genre matters less than the feeling that a game respects my time, and is not simply trying to consume it like most do. In particular, roguelikes, roguelites, and roguelikelikes draw my ire.

This situation makes me one of the few people enthusiastic about Switch ports. I've already decided to buy Dragon Quest 11, Dragon Quest Builders 2, and... Assassin's Creed 3. Yes, really. The AC games have shit stories, but I like the historical tourism aspect, just walking around cities and reading quippy little historical summaries. I can probably afford three or four more full games over the course of this year, but I am also very interested in what are the best indie ports.

A browse through the Switch thread might help:

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148416

Moderator and Priest
    Get Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Thanks Brethren, I'll give it a look. I figured the list of recommendations there would be BotW, BotW, SMO, then BotW again.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Get Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
    I already have a hefty RPG in DQ11, but DKC might be interesting. I disregarded the original DKC trilogy because I felt it sacrificed gameplay to aesthetics. Nintendo franchises try to keep the "feel" of gameplay in a series consistent, so if the new one feels like the originals I would not like it. Thank you, though!
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 3rd Mar 2020 at 08:26.

Moderator and Priest
    Tropical Freeze was made by Retro Studios, not Rare. Beyond the superficial basics, it feels quite a bit different than the original DKC trilogy (which I personally loved), and it's awesome in every way imaginable.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair actually feels more like the original DKCs, since it was made by a lot of the ex-Rare devs who worked on them back in the day. I'd recommend it too, though not quite as strongly as TF.

Here's 30 seconds of me playing the game.

And another 30 seconds. I wish the Switch let you record longer clips.

Thing What Kicks
    It's a shame you've ruled out rogue-likes, as two of my favourite games to play on Switch are Dead Cells an Streets of Rogue.

I highly recommend Bayonetta 2 though, if you like a good spectacle fighter.

Okay, I'll make DKCTF my next buy. The camera's zoomed way out, which alone would make it far better than the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    It's a shame you've ruled out rogue-likes, as two of my favourite games to play on Switch are Dead Cells an Streets of Rogue.

I highly recommend Bayonetta 2 though, if you like a good spectacle fighter.
    Well, there's the "respecting my time" thing... but there's also the fact that Angband recently reworked its entire spell system, introducing a class that can shapeshift into a fox. You can now claw Saruman in the face as a vulpine whirlwind of death. Beast forms retain weapon stats but remove spellcasting and item use, while adding various intrinsics. The fox gets added stealth and attack speed. I have found immense pleasure in sending orc body pieces flying in every direction as a small fluffy thing.

Bayonetta 2 was one of my stolen unplayed games. And as much as I want to like spectacle fighters, the grading systems always aggravate me.

Moderator and Priest
    I second Dead Cells, and throw in Hollow Knight for a bonus. They're not Switch exclusives, but they're best played there.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Golf Story!

Also if we're being honest here, my most played Switch games are easily Picross S1-3. Sitting on the sofa, half-paying attention to a rerun of some old comedy series, and doing Picrosses are my late-evening comfort-zone.

I've got Hollow Knight on the computer, which is too slow to play it.

Picross is an excellent suggestion, since I cleared some six or seven of the 3DS Picross e games. (The 3DS got stolen too.) At its best, it's like the mental equivalent of a long hot bath.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 8th Mar 2020 at 03:09.

Moderator and Priest
    Oh, yeah! Enter The Gungeon!

And buy a security alarm / get a dog.

Moderator and Priest
    What Icemann said.

The burglary happened in June of last year. It happened because I left a window open, not because I lacked adequate locks. There were more important purchases to make before a Switch and games, and there was no way I was going to face the intellectual rough-housing of this board without having fully recovered emotionally. Sheesh, people.

So, I will buy DKCTF and some Picross games. Then I'll look through my Steam wishlist for its saddest subset, the "fascinating indie game that I would buy in an instant if it ever got a Linux port." If any of these are on the Switch, I'll buy them there. Thanks for the suggestions!

And before anyone asks why I don't just switch to Windows 10, that is a very, very bad operating system for someone with a psychotic disorder. I'll leave it to you to figure out why.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 4th Mar 2020 at 03:54.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yay Picross!

Also since we're on the topic of Switch puzzle games I just picked up Find The Balance for 99 cents.

It's basically a ripoff of my Global Game Jam game PATCH POTS altho somehow it was made 2 years before my game. We are not only talking mindjacking but TIMEJACKING as well here, folks!! Anyway the game is really good. I was so engrossed I listened through Kenny Rogers Greatest Hits twice while playing it just now.

Now to see if the Nintendo eShop has a wishlist feature... it does! It's just so elegant that it's almost invisible. That'll make things much easier.

I bought Stilt Fella to be supportive, although with my OS there'll be no feedback from me.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Aww thanks!

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Stein;Gate Elite is fantastic. A proper interactive movie told through the visual novel format. A normal "playthrough" can be 30-40 hours, great for the Switch in portable mode.

The story takes 20 hours to get going with a lot of exposition dumps based in hard scientific theory, but it's well worth it once it kicks into high gear.

There's also a Switch port of the vanilla visual novel sequel, Stein;Gate Zero, but they're remaking that with an Elite version as well. Bye bye static images, hello fully animated footage. I'm waiting for that.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 14th Mar 2020 at 09:38.

Thanks, I'll give it a look!

Moderator and Priest
    I just bought Fire Emblem: Three Houses yesterday. If you like strategy JRPGs, it might be worth a look.

I'm assuming you've been keeping watch for any shady people lingering near your place? They'd have made enough $$$ from all those games to keep them drugged up for a year. But people being people, they always want more.

Its a big game though, especially if you want to do the different house playthroughs. Although I guess in the current situation thats not a bad thing.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, it's a good game to be stuck in the house for two weeks with.

Thanks for the extra suggestions! Now I've got a Switch shopping list that'll take a year to fill, oh well.