TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: How would you have improved The Mage Towers?

RandomIndividual999

How would you have improved The Mage Towers?

Even though I love the concept of The Mage Towers, some believe that it could have been executed better and was possibly hindered by the limitations of the engine. Even in the engine, I think it still could have been slightly more interesting.

I tried doing a humble modification of The Mage Towers after studying multiple tutorials, but I couldn't really get to grips with DromEd. I thought I'd share my ideas for it anyway.

My Ideas

The Water Tower = Ice Mages and Elementals that can temporarily freeze you, small "ice barriers" that you melt with fire arrows, and a magically levitating river (which, in the engine, would basically be gradually ascending water "shapes" linked together) that allows you to swim to the upper level.

The Fire Tower = Fire Elementals (in addition to the Fire Mages), small "fire barriers" that you extinguish with water arrows, an enchanted water basin (similar to the Holy Water basin) that allows water arrows to create hardened platforms on lava and reach the upper level.

The Air Tower = You use rising winds to gradually "fly" to the upper level, but they temporarily cease every 10 seconds. Failing to find a platform to rest on before the rising winds stop each time leaves you plummeting to your death, making the ascent very tense.

The Earth Tower = You shoot water arrows at enchanted saplings that make giant trees appear. You progressively climb them with Rope Arrows to reach the upper level.

Enchanted hedge mazes = The patterns of the hedge mazes slightly alter each time you cross their entry points, suggesting they're enchanted.

Alchemist's table = Using an alchemist's table, you can turn certain objects into gold for extra loot. I thought this would accommodate the magic theme and the spirit of Thief in general.
    Last edited by RandomIndividual999; 8th Apr 2020 at 01:10. Reason: Added detail.

Nipple tassels.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomIndividual999 View Post

All good ideas. I liked the Mage Towers, but my main issue was the enormous amount of unused space. It feels rushed, unfinished; they could have done so much more with the structure, a lot of wasted potential

RandomIndividual999

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    All good ideas. I liked the Mage Towers, but my main issue was the enormous amount of unused space. It feels rushed, unfinished; they could have done so much more with the structure, a lot of wasted potential
    Thank you kindly! I'm glad you liked my ideas.

The water tower in particular was very weak, IMO. Especially since water is one of the three primitive brush types, it is weird that they didn't do more with it. A flooded room when they could have had physically impossible maw-like water puzzles? Booooooo.

The alchemist table idea is brilliant. Seeing as how many keys are in this mission from pickpockets, perhaps you could transmute some of them into gold as well.

The Water Tower doesn't make sense to me, because the scroll which describes the flooding says that only the water mages are able to be submerged long enough, yet Garrett can simply swim through it all. I think the water should be much larger and this is where you would need a breath potion, and the only way to get it would be to brew one, perhaps in the same alchemist laboratory.

I also think the Air Tower is a glaring issue, because you're just standing still on moving platforms. Perhaps there could be long distance jumps between platforms, or a switch activated door which will close again as you're approaching it, which are only passable with the aid of speed potions. These again, would have to be brewed in the laboratory.

Basically, this would be like a magical version of Soulforge. I actually quite liked the Mage Towers mission, but the Water and Air towers were definitely weak.