TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: TMA20AC Mission The Builder's Paradise (Mar 24, 2020)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

TMA20AC Mission The Builder's Paradise (Mar 24, 2020)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission The Builder's Paradise by Children of Endeavour.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

IMPORTANT: The crash can be avoided if you simply load a save game. So at the start you can simply quicksave + quickload and you should not experience the crash.

IMPORTANT: The authors ask that you check under Options > Audio and set your Audio Channels to the max of 48, and enable Hardware Acceleration, or you may encounter audio problems with this mission!

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission, and by extension every mission made for the contest, is for THIEF 2. As such, do not load it with Thief 1/GOLD! It is highly recommended you do not use the Enhancement Pack and/or HD texture packs to play this mission. It is also recommended you uncheck all optional features T2Fix comes with if you update to the latest version of the full executable.
    Last edited by Yandros; 26th Apr 2020 at 13:40.

Quick note: if you experience a low frame-rate at the start, see if setting "Sky Detail: Low" helps. A few testers, myself included, found this seriously improved performance on our systems.
    EDIT: If you get lots of static, change your 'hardware acceleration' setting. If it's On, turn it Off. If it's Off, turn it On. Avoid enabling OpenAL -- this appears to create static and possibly crash the game.
    Last edited by DirkBogan; 25th Mar 2020 at 03:02.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    In case it is not obvious to anyone, you only need either the English or the French version, depending on which language your T2 install is set to.

I've replaced standard memory crystal with empty one but both levers in the control room produce just an "error sound"
    Am I missing something?

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    A.Stahl, read Irina's ledger, there's another step you're supposed to complete before activating the levers.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Irina's ledger
    But where is it? Somewhere near barracks?

I have OpenAL as my only option for audio Hardware Acceleration, and max channels to 48, and I'm still getting very loud white noise/static for some sounds. I got to the top of a lift where the lighting turns orange and am just hit by a wall of noise. Then shortly after that, I frobbed a victrola on the ground and the game crashed to desktop.

I can't comment on the crash but turning OpenAL off should fix the static. The same thing happened in a mission I tested (and other missions like Endless Rain's rain sound effects).

Absolute epic. Mechanical ambient, huge abandoned locations, forcing a sinister atmosphere before the last battle. Very powerful. Also powerful as the Lord Alan factory.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    I have OpenAL as my only option for audio Hardware Acceleration, and max channels to 48, and I'm still getting very loud white noise/static for some sounds. I got to the top of a lift where the lighting turns orange and am just hit by a wall of noise. Then shortly after that, I frobbed a victrola on the ground and the game crashed to desktop.
    You can try to install OpenAL Soft and see if that works better for you. Once you do, change the "snd_oal_device Generic Software" option in cam_ext to "snd_oal_device OpenAL Soft" without the quotes, and obviously remove the semicolon that is originally before that line.

I would also recommend testing WITHOUT hardware accelerated audio. I tested this mission thoroughly without it enabled, and never had an audio issue or crash related to it! This requirement may have been a miscommunication.
    EDIT: I have just tested, and I get awful static with 'OpenAL On' and the crash as Nicked does. Do not play this mission with OpenAL. 48 channels, whether hardware acceleration is on or off, should be fine. Some players might get static if hardware acceleration is OFF, others might get static if hardware acceleration is ON.
    Last edited by DirkBogan; 25th Mar 2020 at 03:03.

So, have someone found "Irina's ledger"? Where is it?

Did you search the Worker's Quarters? There's an emergency message from Irina there, telling the workers where they are gathering. That should give a clue. The included maps give some clue to the locations, if you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    That should give a clue
    Is the "Security Room" and "Security units section" are different places?

Just to be sure: how did you find out that you have to replace the memory crystal and then pull two levers inside Karras's control room?

Yes. The 'Security Units Section' is a section of the Factory. The Security Room, mentioned in the emergency message, is a separate place and it is marked on your map.

>Just to be sure: how did you find out

I read about this in the Control Room right in a half meter from those levers.

It looks like I miss some key. Is there a key for the Engineer section? I was there but I cannot open Engineer Section-Factory door.

Yes. If you find Irina's Ledger, you will find this key.

So I'm stuck completely. Ok. How to get to that "Security Room"? From what region/sector/room?

Hey, sadly I can't start the mission, it doesn't appear in any FM starter (all the others do no matter if zip or 7z format). I converted it to zip but still doesn't show up :/

Check up the top of your FM list. For some reason, the date is broken in fm.ini -- it reverts to Jan 1st 1970.
    EDIT: if this isn't the problem, perhaps extracting the contents manually will work. Create a folder named 'The Builder's Paradise' in your FM folder, and copy the contents of the zip/7z to that folder. It should show up in your FM selectors now.
    Last edited by DirkBogan; 25th Mar 2020 at 06:41.

EDIT: i finally got it to run don't know how but suddenly it worked at least in FMsel
    Last edited by Supremcee; 25th Mar 2020 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    So I'm stuck completely. Ok. How to get to that "Security Room"? From what region/sector/room?
    You can get to the security room by going back to the giant elevator with the throne atop of it. Then you get to the other side by jumping inside the broken glass.

So eeeh?
    Pretty early on there is an elevator shaft (The one where the doors close behind you when you push the elevator button, and the creepy little mechanical child appears in the windown to the control room where you opened the doors to the shaft).
    I called the elevator, but the platform dosn't go all the way to the bottom, it stops at the "bend" in the shaft and just goes back up.... Is this a bug or am I missing something here?

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast