TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: TMA20AC Mission Feast of Pilgrims (Mar 24, 2020)

I don't see any info about 1.1 nor even in the readme. What has changed in 1.1? I am deep into 1.0 is there game breaking issues?

you could frob a switch through a door to get to an area earlier than intended, which ended up breaking the entire map. its the door by the raggy jester readable, in the sewers. Just don't try to do it

Thank you psychosis, I haven't been to the Sewer yet so I guess it wasn't as deep as I thought. I'll try not to frob spam there.

I do believe you're talking about Into the Odd, not Feast.

Indeed. What's changed in Feast is that the game doesn't corrupt saves anymore due to a memory leak.

well then that's worth a restart. I guess it's okay, I know my way around a bit more.

Fantastic mission, great use of voices, music. It really adds to the atmosphere if you come around a corner and hear people shouting, talking etc.
    I made my way through the mission more or less at random, picking up everything in my way. I can only agree with the others : outstanding rooftop mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer View Post
    I do believe you're talking about Into the Odd, not Feast.
    LOL. Confused the threads

Sean Connery searching for a chalice? Why does that sound vaguely familiar...?

Wow, just wow, this is now probably my favorite FM I have ever played and other than Ominous Bequest the only other mission I have rated a solid 5 stars in my FM played list so far : ) I was always a huge fan of Life of the Party so I guess you really nailed my soft spot (I played the hell out of the demo over and over, long ago, before I had the full game, and this brought back those feelings and memories.

Just going to tag my whole reaction with the spoiler tag because I mention quite a few things others might want to avoid seeing before they play:

I got super excited when I realized this is a rooftop mission; I thoroughly took my time to savor it and enjoyed every minute without it ever becoming boring or wanting to be done with it. I played late at night in the quiet and dark and got thoroughly immersed, one of my favorite Thief experiences ever. I explored slowly, took my time to make sure I was making sense of the map and locations as I went, and managed to do a lot of the optional objectives without ever needing to run in circles (probably got lucky in a few places where I could have easily missed items or switches the first time through but happened to spot them thanks to going slow). Managed to get the smuggling objective, the seeds, the hellfire ruby (I assume it's not actually possible to get the ruby itself, but completed the recipe and blessed the pot etc.) and 3/12 secrets. Total time 5:15 and 4600 loot. So even though I took my time so much I still missed a lot of secrets and loot, as well as the mechanical eye objective, but I still feel pretty good about getting everything else and at least a solid amount of loot and secrets without needing to resort to help on the forums : )

There was SO much I liked about this mission and on the flipside I have a hard time finding any faults whatsoever. I really think this an artful tour de force in Thief level-making, its praise should be sung for years to come, and I'm glad to play a classic soon after it was made for once : ) I have played Godbreaker in the past by the way, just about a year ago and absolutely loved the swamp level in that (I did have to resort to some forum help for that, because the figuring out the puzzles was difficult, but had a ton of fun and the design of that is also unique and outstanding)

-the architecture and texturing was fabulous; I rarely take my time to just stare at the level in Thief 2, but the cathedral was just gorgeous, the street layouts were fabulous, creative, non-repetitive, yet made logical sense. Just A+
    -I love the fact that you had hard to reach places using rope arrows in some unsuspecting locations. I LOVE rope arrows and it was great to actually get rewarded for carefully looking up sometimes.
    -I also loved how acrobatic the level feels in places. Ok, granted it kind of ruins my favored playstyle of liking to play a mission through without dying and I certainly did have quite a few fall related deaths and had to quick save, but it was easy to embrace that process and I'm glad to now have a mission I thoroughly enjoy to practice my acrobatic skills on; in my book, this level is better than life of the party in this respect, you've taken what LotP tries to do and made it even better, this is totally what the Thieve's highway should feel like, sometimes LotP feels a bit too easy to get around in. Also, despite some of the jumps being difficult, I can't say they are the kind of frustratingly difficult I have seen in some FMs where I had to reload like 20 times to get it right, most slipups I didn't end up repeating, so you can tell you took a lot of care with making movement acrobatic feeling while at the same time accessible.
    -I liked the fact that there was a crypt with a taste of undead in the cathedral, I guess it wouldn't be a hammerite quarters mission without that! (reminded me of Eavesdropping, which is also a mission I love)
    -the writing and the humor were spot on and there were so many moments that made me chuckle. I think this is one of the key ingredients in a 5 star FM for me, and it is so rare and difficult to create a mission that brings together both brilliant \ fun level design and good writing. Your jokes and references were funny without ever coming off as tacky (I'm sure I missed some of the references, I'd be curious about a full explanation : ). Are you sure you didn't work on the original Thief? The result of this beautiful alchemy is top notch world building and immersion.
    -I could go on and on but sadly the sun has risen because I've played this mission all night so I'm not at my most expressive right now, thanks for a fun Thief experience and I look forward to playing every mission you've ever made now : ) (I'm not as well versed in FMs as some of you guys here, I have a lot of older stuff to go back to and enjoy I suppose!)

I have a hard time thinking I will like any mission from the contest more than this one, but I'll keep an open mind while I play the rest

PS: for those of you saying this is "one of the best rooftop missions," can you please point me to any missions that even compare to this masterpiece? I would love to play them

Question: In the spot just east of the diamond drill \ party area, where you need to use a rope arrow to access an open window quite high up and there is a holy water inside, there is also a room where some kind of strange trap contraption in the wall pretty much instantly kills you while making a gas arrow sound. I am just dying to know how are you supposed to get past this??

Quote Originally Posted by Toulomne View Post
    I assume it's not actually possible to get the ruby itself, but completed the recipe and blessed the pot etc.)
    You can get it if you bless the pot as the demon is casting his spell.

Question: In the spot just east of the diamond drill \ party area, where you need to use a rope arrow to access an open window quite high up and there is a holy water inside, there is also a room where some kind of strange trap contraption in the wall pretty much instantly kills you while making a gas arrow sound. I am just dying to know how are you supposed to get past this??
    You can rope to the upper floor in a different place.

PS: for those of you saying this is "one of the best rooftop missions," can you please point me to any missions that even compare to this masterpiece? I would love to play them
    Missions by skacky and Melan, while not purely rooftop ones, provide a very similar experience, especially Endless Rain and Disorientation. Additionally, the building style in this one is heavily influenced by uncadonego's missions such as Thieves Highway and The Power of Suggestion.

Thanks for the review.

TBH I'm not sure I've played any missions that capture the unique fun of Life of the Party quite as well as this.

The attention to ease of navigation and platforming is what sets it above most others of its type.

I finished this today, well mostly, as I didn't get a couple of the optional objectives and I think it was a fantastic mission! Great architecture, an intricate storyline and wonderful rooftop exploring. True, I was lost a lot of the time but I'm not great with maps and I finally figured where I was at least part of the time. LOL! Thanks very much! I plan to replay it to finish up the things I missed (including most of the secrets) after I've played the rest of the contest missions.

Thanks so much for the kind comments, everyone!
    It was a labor of love. Sometimes rage, sure, but also love.

There were a few really funny bugs that almost killed this mission during testing. Perhaps we can tell the story sometime.
    Let's just say- a single solitary haunt nearly destroyed this entire mission.

Finished. 7 hours 35 minutes. Loot: 5011/5938. Secrets: 7/12.

Great mission. I love rooftop missions and this one is one of the best rooftop missions ever.
    I love lot of things: great mission design including vertical multi level places, great use of sounds, intricate storyline (I like reminds of Thief history including FM - like painting of Victoria, note about Lampfire Hills and many others). Well balanced playing including elimination of guards, jumping over lot of gaps, loot placing, and amount of arrows, potions, and food.
    Clear distinction between standard loot and secrets - they are really at hard accessible places or barely visible and require focused searching.
    And a lot of "bonuses": gas arrow, lower street wandering, places out of limits, cemetery scene.

I've returned to Thief FMs after many years (of playing of that damned Minecraft, of course). And this is magnificent return to Thief. Amazing experince. Great thanks to authors.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Welcome back, Aspirin! You'll want to be sure to play the sequel to this mission (which was released first), Godbreaker.

I can't resist: I LOVE THIS FM !!! Another 2.5 hours of playing. All secrets (with help of Fortuni list). I'm missing (BIG spoiler): Castle Valerian easter egg and shortcut to beginning of mission (flipping switch).

That was AMAZING! I spent a little over 5 hours and did all the objectives, got about 3500 loot I think but only got 3 out of 11 or 15 secrets! I don't think I'd enjoy hunting for secrets but I was keeping an eye out but probably not looking quite closely enough while skulking around. I did get into the mechanist room and found the code to the armory, both of which were fun to find but not tedious which I appreciate. Overall I think the extra loot/objectives had the right amount of hints and difficulty to find.

I got down to the street in a couple places, and as you say, there isn't anything there but I appreciate the detail you put into it so that you don't find black walls and weird stuff as soon as you get to a spot you can't see from above, it really filled the whole thing in and made it feel real and complete. I enjoyed exploring around down there some between saves. I loved all the sounds and conversations and music boxes. With all the little details and the inclusion of so many different guards from the different games, this would be especially great for someone who hasn't played in a while and wants to have a great once-in-a-while nostalgic experience.

I also appreciate how clean mantling was, there is so much sloppy mantling in the regular levels with random noises and stuff. There is a lot of mantling and it worked really well for the most part (especially the gargoyles etc).

I got a proper fright from the gas where you find the mechanist gear in the old abandoned tower!

This was my first FM of the contest but 11/10 for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    you could frob a switch through a door to get to an area earlier than intended, which ended up breaking the entire map. its the door by the raggy jester readable, in the sewers. Just don't try to do it
    I can't find it. Where is it, please?

So apparently there's a secret here according to the lootlist: Access the hidden apart below Captain Koomley. Rope arrow down from large wooden platform.

For the life of me I can't figure out where that secret is. I am at that location but can not see any large wooden platform anywhere. Can anyone help please?

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirin View Post
    I can't find it. Where is it, please?
    It's not in this mission.

Quote Originally Posted by The Elusive One View Post
    So apparently there's a secret here according to the lootlist: Access the hidden apart below Captain Koomley. Rope arrow down from large wooden platform.

For the life of me I can't figure out where that secret is. I am at that location but can not see any large wooden platform anywhere. Can anyone help please?
    Explore the roof with the collector tower. Look for a flowerpot below.

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    Explore the roof with the collector tower. Look for a flowerpot below.
    Thank you! That was a tricky one.

Praise him with great praise!

Epic, gigantic, brilliant, deep, enjoyable, instant classic.
    A true monument to the essence of the Thief Experience, and a fitting tribute
    to 20 years of fandom.

Missed 8 secrets and about 1300 loot.

Really well crafted and enjoyable one, giving the player a lot of freedom in their actions. I have a one thing to nitpick about though, the fact that from the very start i anticipated the cathedral to be the main attraction, a cherry on top of the whole quest, thus i found it pretty disappointing to see that the main nave of it isn't accessible at all, with only a relatively small section being left to exploration.

Still that's just a minor issue that doesn't really matter that much in the context of the entire map and what already is there.

PS. On expert, i have all the goals completed, but just one of them - still can't find that goddamn smuggler's stash lmao

PS. 2 I found a rather obvious bug that makes it possible to frob the ruby as soon as it appears without the need to perform the ritual at all details in the video (spoiler warning)

Just registered to say this is one of the best city missions I've ever played... I can't wait to play Broken Goddess. I dont usually try to ghost but I had a lot of fun reactivating the security system after getting the chalice.

Note: I found the mage's mansion a little difficult to navigate. After dropping into the courtyard from the east, I couldn't find a way to get back up and had to circle around. Not sure if I was doing something wrong. It wouldnt let me mantle onto the statues.

You can mantle the trees to get back up there.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast