TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: TMA20AC Mission — Into The Odd (Mar 24, 2020)

Just finished the mission and wow, this is easily one of the strongest ones yet. The atmosphere you pulled off was incredible, I actually felt like I was slowly descending into the depths of hell. And that's before the sanctuary part. Even the daytime topside sections felt strangely lonely and dreamlike. You really knocked it out of the park.

I want to ask a question - am I supposed to find lockpicks AFTER I leave that surreal-looking mansion and AGAIN proceed to that Chitterling Court or not? Looks like first time I broke the game logic...

You find them after this point, yes. The lockpick objective states that they are in the underground aqueduct. Your map gives the location of the aqueduct entrance, and informs you that rope arrows are required. You are playing the mission as intended!

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    You find them after this point, yes. The lockpick objective states that they are in the underground aqueduct. Your map gives the location of the aqueduct entrance, and informs you that rope arrows are required. You are playing the mission as intended!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    @ Ghouljokes

Have you found the mangled key? If not after you've got your rope arrows head back to the dead spider, a hatch has opened in the tunnel next to where you went to get your rope arrows, you'll find a way to open that gate and from there go for a swim.
    i'm looking for the mangled key.

i go back to the dead spider found the tunnel and i go for a swim . then i climbed up to a ladder and now i stand in a little room with a piece of chesse and a closed metal dorr with a label " to underground aqueduct" but where can i find this mangled key?

radogoal, You should swim into the alcove near the aqueduct door (with those hellish moving gears) and pull the lever and see just above yourself

i fear i went too far ??!!

now i'm in a room with an old hammer a golden drinking cup and i dive and i got a water arrow , but i have no lockpics.

have i to go backwards respectively is this possible ?? back over the three bars i came down?????

That feeling of low grade terror, the existential dread of not knowing what lay around the next corner. That was the feeling I had the first time I played The Cradle in Thief 3. This mission replicated that feeling for me. I can give no higher praise.

radogoal! You won't get your lockpicks for a long time! You have to keep going, and will eventually get back to the start. The lockpick objective states that they are in the underground aqueduct. Your map gives the location of the aqueduct entrance, and informs you that rope arrows are required. You are playing the mission the right way, but you must discover these things for yourself!

This mission was fantastic! I love surreal horror missions and this was one of the most unsettling missions I've ever played. I even jumped out of my chair a few times.

n ow i made a tour through a house and so on and now after visiting the armory i 'm back at the house with the elevator form the berginning. but i can't satisfy one of the goals like the golden egg the lockpicks or the entry to the most well guarded area

I had to finally break out of lurking to say this mission is absolutely brilliant, I loved every inch of it. Plus having the STOP OPENING DOORS face tucked away is a nice bonus. Also, not really a bug-related question, but when I bonk the guard patrolling on the second floor of the egg mansion and pick up his body, I can see a miniature lamp floating on my screen. Is it there due to some player/body detection shenanigans?
    Thanks to the Thief community for organising the contest and sticking around after all these years, you're the best.

Agrippuhhh: This is due to the DetailAttachment property that, well, attaches objects to AI (such as hats, etc). Not a bug per se, but it results in floating objects when you pick bodies up.

I forgot but you can actually keyhole (lean into the door) the gate in the beggining to pull the lever and open it. I've seen people reporting this glitch in other area, but not this one so yeah.

Just finished and I must say WOW. This one has everything!! The first part was a little frustrating because of all the bright areas, but after I got through that it amazed me at every turn. Very well done and thanks for this GREAT mission!!

Don't give up on this mission if you're frustrated, it's simply an amazing achievement. Lautréamont levels of weird.

Oh my god That was a true journey!
    I had to take breaks because I just couldn't handle it at times, but felt pulled back to see just what else the mission could throw at me!
    After almost three hours of play and finding myself back at the beginning but still needing to get the golden egg and knowing there was a way between them in the collector/inventor's multi-story home but not being able to find it... I almost moved on to a different mission, but knew if I did I would never find the right path.

I eventually found a seemingly useless valve in the service room near the craybeast, what did it do? This is the one you can see after diving but can't reach until you're almost back to town.

That was great experience. It took me almost 3 hours and I just got 4883 loot. I had some problem at the beginning. Those 2 thieves with random patrol routes walking around Pub. They were really annoying. But you did good job with Sewers Area. I had the most fun exactly there and I know it's very difficult to make sewers interesting. Ruins were also strong point especially after getting lockpicks. Interesting design, lots of secrets. There are some freaking monsters like this eyeball treebeast. Even Mechanists with their machines make appearance. I liked events that make the whole city repopulated. It was interesting to see that small looking mission open and change into something big, but also block some older paths.

Didn't finish this one after having tried 15 minutes to proceed. Either a FM is dark enough and/or Garrett has enough equipment to get rid of his opponents. None of it. Sorry, but I don't like that kind of atypical gameplay.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Quote Originally Posted by zappenduster View Post
    Didn't finish this one after having tried 15 minutes to proceed. Either a FM is dark enough and/or Garrett has enough equipment to get rid of his opponents. None of it. Sorry, but I don't like that kind of atypical gameplay.

zappenduster, I totally agree with you. I can't stand this mission. I've been playing it for 90 minutes, which is hours in reload land, and everything about it is the type of Thief gameplay I don't like.

But zappenduster, force yourself through it. I could have quit multiple times, swearing at the computer. I may not ever play it again, but I keep pressing on. The steampunk atmosphere, the quirkiness of it all, the moods it invokes, the overall depth of a mission I've seen so far....

Don't rob yourself. I don't like it either, but it may be one of the best fan missions ever made, even if it is the opposite of my cup of tea and yours.....

Played until the first conversation, and boy this is something else! Wasn't so sure at first, but man the mood and atmosphere just sucks you right in. So much detail in every room. Seemed sloppy initially, but that was an incorrect assessment.

I did find 3 gates you can lean through and open from the "wrong" side. I've got pics here: gate1, gate2, gate3.
    I figured you weren't supposed to go through them that way, so I left them be. Just thought I'd let the authors know for potential future update. I haven't read any other posts, so sorry if this has been covered. I'm playing version 1.1.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Thank you for realizing frobbing a switch through a gate is (usually) the unintended way to do something and reverted your save

I wouldn't necessarily be worried about those, though, as to get them you have to know how to abuse the lean mechanics. Interesting nonetheless!

Oh I know all too well how to abuse the engine. IIRC you taught me a trick or two.

Edit: 2.5 hours in now, and this is beyond my wildest dreams good!! The private sanctum (at least that's what I call it) with that transparent eye-stalked beast is one of the freakiest things I've ever seen! Talk about surrealistic horror. It messes with your brain, which I am all for. You've got elements of all the classic missions here, without copying any one mission directly. Brilliant! Can't wait for the rest, but that's what I must do now...rest.
    Last edited by klatremus; 31st Mar 2020 at 03:24.

Amazing fm. Was it inspired by "Into the Odd" tabletop rpg by any chance? It would fit right into that game's weird setting.
    So, I almost finished this fm, but one small thing remains. Can someone provide a hint for getting into this room? There are windows on the opposite side of the building, but they seem to be to narrow to climb through.
    Thief-2-The-Metal-Age-Screenshot-2020-03-31-13-56-40-64
    Thief-2-The-Metal-Age-Screenshot-2020-03-31-18-31-27-72

Quote Originally Posted by Froghemoth View Post
    Amazing fm. Was it inspired by "Into the Odd" tabletop rpg by any chance? It would fit right into that game's weird setting.
    So, I almost finished this fm, but one small thing remains. Can someone provide a hint for getting into this room? There are windows on the opposite side of the building, but they seem to be to narrow to climb through.
    Thief-2-The-Metal-Age-Screenshot-2020-03-31-13-56-40-64
    Thief-2-The-Metal-Age-Screenshot-2020-03-31-18-31-27-72
    You can get here simply by going inside the Marketmaster's bathroom and escaping through the grate in the weird pool.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast