TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: TMA20AC Mission Into The Odd (Mar 24, 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    I didn't find the super mature secret that Vikare pointed out in an earlier post. Any hints to its whereabouts?
    Hint: In high elevation, around the marketmaster's area.
    Super spoiler: Climb behind the green towers opposite the marketmaster's mansion, the rail between the the towers can be mantled.

Thanks, that was pretty each to find with only your first hint. Found 3 more pieces of loot at the Marketmaster's; 2 of which were quite clever, and similar . Also an apartment above the junction station that I forgot to visit after getting a rope arrow, where I found 4 more loot pieces. 6368 out of 6592 now, missing 225. I'll go through the sanctuary and the sewers one more time, then post the list and move on to the next mission. Think I'll try Psych0sis' contribution next.

Questions:
    Can you get through here?

Does this valve do anything? I was so sure it opened the crayman cage beyond the window that I was almost insulted when it didn't.

And then in the basement lab at Balnebrich's, there are what looks like two Thief 1 version cameras that can be frobbed, but doesn't do anything. It almost seems like you can use objects on them, but I haven't read any hints about this. I suppose they are just decorative, but please correct me if I'm wrong. See here.
    Last edited by klatremus; 2nd Apr 2020 at 02:40.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

You can't get through that underpass, and the valve doesn't do anything (it's an oversight).

The cameras work like spyglasses and should allow you to see certain places. They work with Squirrel script, so it might be related to that.
    Last edited by marbleman; 2nd Apr 2020 at 03:33.

I wasn't a huge fan of this mission when I first started out but I warmed up to it pretty quickly, to the point where it's one of my favourite missions from this contest. There's just so much going on that it's hard to find much fault with it, maybe other than how linear it is in parts. Also, I did have some issues where AI was so sensitive that it detected me across an area from behind- I'd peek out just enough to expose myself in the light and they'd suddenly turn around and shoot me or raise the alarm. I used all my flashbombs because of that, and had to kill people that I wouldn't have ordinarily.

Just an alert, it's possible to do a sequence break the first time you visit the sanctuary by mantling on one of the buildings near a statue and climbing up from there. You can't get super far without the lockpicks, but you can explore a lot more than you're supposed to and get a fair bit of loot early on.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that despite the ZIP being fixed, the readme still doesn't work through FMSel. I had to manually go into the folder and read it there.
    Last edited by McTaffer; 2nd Apr 2020 at 22:59.

Ok, so I'm done looking for the last 225 loot for now. Searched the sanctuary and the sewers over again, but nothing. Find the LOOT LIST HERE. Perhaps someone can guide me in the way of what I'm missing. I suspect it's somewhere in town. No direct spoilers please!

A few more questions though:

Can you get through this gate? I believe there was a guard being chased by a zombie there at one point. I can't recall if this is where I went before part of the sewers got sealed off.

Also, is there anything to do up here? I managed to get the piece of rubble with a rope arrow, and I suspected there was some loot up there, but to no avail.

And then there is the guard visible through this peephole. I assume it is just a tease, but no way to get there.

Lastly, at the sanctuary in the room where you found the old key, there's what seems like a spike trap in the ceiling. I found no way to set it off though. Am I missing something there?

Thanks again for a brilliant ride!
    Last edited by klatremus; 12th Apr 2020 at 12:09.

To my knowledge, none of those places are accessible; there is also no loot hiding there.

As for loot, I think you're missing at least one more piece in Streets, West section.

I am stuck in the underground city where the ghost with glowing eyes, the shapeless spawn and the monster with the giant meat cleaver on its back roam. The shaft where I previously roped up into the mansion is blocked by a boulder now and I cannot find a way back to the surface through either the underground aqueduct or the sewers.

Username: Have you found the sanctuary key yet. If no, it is found in a bedroom above the meat cleaver beast. If yes, you can you that on a gate on the top walkway close to where glowy-eyes patrol. Through there, look up and that should be your way out.

Marbleman: I scoured those streets like a maniac, but no more loot. I might need a better hint. Is the piece inside or outside?

Username: I'd be embarrassed to tell you how long I got stuck in the same spot when I tested this mission: past the mummy that should be hanging around your previous exit path, you should see a gate. In the room past that gate is the other exit. If I remember correctly, you can either unlock that gate with the Sanctuary Key, or loop all the way back around past where you entered the Sanctuary this second time.
    EDIT: ninja'd by klatremus

Marbleman: I scoured those streets like a maniac, but no more loot. I might need a better hint. Is the piece inside or outside?
    It's inside. Another hint, which will probably make it quite easy to find: it's a little wet.

Username: Have you found the sanctuary key yet. If no, it is found in a bedroom above the meat cleaver beast. If yes, you can you that on a gate on the top walkway close to where glowy-eyes patrol. Through there, look up and that should be your way out.

Some guy job is to scoop water to be sure someone important doesn't lose something while doing a certain activity.

Thanks, klatremus and DirkBogan! The key was in my inventory all along, but I had forgotten I had picked it up earlier.

Finished on Normal in 3 hours and 51 minutes. At the end, I had 4822 of 6593 total loot.

Into The Odd is a masterpiece! It starts out rather linear, but after roughly an hour the mission really opens up. I loved how dirty everything looks. Smoke and machines everywhere, rotting cadavers in decrepit buildings. This is also one of the gorier Thief fan missions: The flesh-eating cannibals in the sewers and the thug ripping out the eyes of that unfortunate woman were horrifying scenes.

The part in the sewers reminded me of the old mission Thief: Brainchild by Sperry, mostly due the claustrophobic, strange setting with spots of absolute darkness. Other areas on the surface reminded my of Whistling of the Gears by FireMage and Lost Among the Forsaken by DrK. The underground city was beautifully odd and I loved it had just 4 AI patroling, but each a unique custom design. Similarly, the architecture in the mission generally was very impressive. The creators also did a great job at guiding the player towards the objectives, without making things too obvious.

Two things that could be improved after the contest: 1. The cannibal in sewers repeated the same line everytime I approached the gate. I'd prefer he says it just once. 2. After the conversation that triggers the golden egg objective ended, the guy in the green coat with the white wig saw me, went into search mode, but then acted like he could not see me.

Mission authors didn't aim at a wider audience. Doing it should in no doubt be helpful when you're a contestant. Something tells me above was a conscious decision. This leads me into a conclusion that authors focused on other aspects more. I mean, if anonymous, these nicknames are very creative and fun. Just my 2 cents

I'm almost speechless but I feel I need to at least try to express how much I appreciate this mission. I honestly feel like this is a gamechanger, one of these rare missions which truly expand expectations about what is possible in thief fms. The architecture and use of textures here is a work of an artist, and I mean it in a very literal way, it's so beautiful and unique (some environments reminded me of Dishonored for some reason but with stronger atmosphere). Details in every area telling stories, raising questions, the pretty, the macabre, the surreal and quirky made progressing through the mission very exciting and rewarding. The narrative design, which alternates between streamlined parts and free exploration of open areas is also a strong point. I can't recall any other fm doing it on this scale, I mean the first hour or so felt like playing Half Life as Garrett I also felt teased, not knowing what else to expect, I think I expected the mission to finally uncover its actual mood or theme which I could get used to - and it didn't so I got used to being surprised over and over, and that was so much fun. It's true that the very beginning was somewhat hard to get through and some AI behaviour was strange.

Played on expert, 3h 48mins (+lots of reloads), 5210 loot.

Question: is it possible to banish/defeat the shapeless spawn? I accidentally ate the burning bread but that didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    It's inside. Another hint, which will probably make it quite easy to find: it's a little wet.
    Yes that was a bit easy, but I don't think I would've found it without your hint. I looked in that area several times, but I think more on or behind the chair. The water made the ring almost invisible, and it must be the smallest ring known to man (or woman). Updated loot list HERE. Missing 125 now. More hints are appreciated.
    Last edited by klatremus; 12th Apr 2020 at 12:08.

Looked through the list again. It seems you're missing another piece in marketmaster's mansion.

To be more specific, it's on the top floor.

Got it!! Man, that was a clever one! Didn't need the top floor hint. Figured it had something to do with those penetrable drapes. Complete loot list HERE!
    Last edited by klatremus; 12th Apr 2020 at 12:08.

From the start I knew it was going to be my one of my favorite. Daylight FMs are very rare and this one is very pretty, I don't know why but it reminded me a little bit of Mordbid Curiosity from Pukey Buster. I really loved it.
    Once the ambush is avoided (uneasy, many patrols in a very small area) it becomes straightforward, we go up and down the sewers as if we were on a ghost train. Evil spirits, ghosts, red eyes watching you, cannibals, traps and this scary thing with huge eyes, what a trip down there, It was great !

I'm done with all my objectives. Can someone please tell me where I can find the hideout?

Edit: Found it. The map helped.

3hrs 31 mins on expert
    5935/6593 loot

(review will follow)
    Last edited by Karras35; 8th Apr 2020 at 08:06.

I'm playing this excellent fm for the second time.

True masterpiece!

OK I've worked my way through the sewers & the rich blokes house & cleaned out the wealthy area of people but I still haven't found the taffin lockpicks, I've even found a secret dungeon but there's a door in a posh house that when I looked at it Garret said "I can't open this without my gear" so I'm half thinking they're later in the story & half thinking they're back in the sewers, probably in plain sight & I missed them

However a hint would be appreciated

Look at your map, then your objectives. That should tell you all you need to know about where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    OK I've worked my way through the sewers & the rich blokes house & cleaned out the wealthy area of people but I still haven't found the taffin lockpicks, I've even found a secret dungeon but there's a door in a posh house that when I looked at it Garret said "I can't open this without my gear" so I'm half thinking they're later in the story & half thinking they're back in the sewers, probably in plain sight & I missed them

However a hint would be appreciated
    You haven't missed anything. The lockpicks are found in the undeground aqueducts. Check your map: it tells you where an entrance to the aqueducts is, which means that you'll need to get back to the starting area.

Ahhhh duh bear of little brain here, thanks guys

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast