TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: TMA20AC Mission Into The Odd (Mar 24, 2020)

is it possible to banish/defeat the shapeless spawn outside the Sanctuary?

It has already been asked, but there was no answer...so I am asking again

I managed to lure it into the misty pool inside the temple. I just jumped from side to side and eventually it fell in. Not sure if that was the intended method.

Would it be ok if I posted my ghost report for this mission? It is quite long and has tons of screenshots, with lots of spoilers, obviously. Just thought I'd check here first since the contest is still quite recent.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    The authors say that it is fine, as long as you give a clear spoiler disclaimer at the beginning.

Here's my playthrough of Into the Odd:

https://youtu.be/Wv7yyKVpvJk

I loved this map. It was a bit frustrating at the beginning, trying to figure out how to proceed, but this ended up being one of the best maps in my recent memory. The atmosphere was incredible, tense and novel throughout. I really like how it managed to be so surreal without just being another "Constantine's mansion" mission. It's also impressive how a mission can be intensely frightening at one point, yet sublimely pretty at another. Excellent geometry, texturing, sound, everything. But this level is more than the sum of its parts. It's hard to pinpoint exactly, but I feel there's something more to it, a subtle strangeness to the arrangement, like if David Lynch made an FM. As an aspiring dromeder, it was humbling to play. Anyway, great work. In my opinion this mission belongs with the all-time greats.

The path opposite the room the blackjack is in is strange to get to. If you just ran up across the beam, you will get stuck and can't even jump in, it feels like an invisible wall. Took me a while to figure out I had to jump from a foot or so back. Even then, you can still get stuck easily.

Anyway, on to see what all the fuss is about...

https://imgur.com/tA1qalv

It's right after coming out of underground and inside the first mansion. Is there something behind?
    We've got a walled-up doorway, and in the room next door a few bricks are missing from the wall + there's a metal hatch exactly in the direction where the hidden room could be, but I can't find anything around. False positives?

Also, I wouldn't agree on what you've said about the story. The "odd world" and the "above world" were too disconnected. Throwing the player back and forth between them makes the storyline incoherent as a whole, even though individual parts are extremely convincing.
    Nevertheless, it's definitely a very creative, unique, and well-built mission. I loved the experience.

You can't get into that room, however, there is something in there, but you can't see it for very long. Check again upon your first entry into the adjacent room. There's a reason it's bricked up...

OK, it was so subtle I totally missed it and ended up chasing my tail looking for secrets Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FlowstatePhoenix
    I loved this map. It was a bit frustrating at the beginning, trying to figure out how to proceed, but this ended up being one of the best maps in my recent memory. The atmosphere was incredible, tense and novel throughout. I really like how it managed to be so surreal without just being another "Constantine's mansion" mission. It's also impressive how a mission can be intensely frightening at one point, yet sublimely pretty at another. Excellent geometry, texturing, sound, everything. But this level is more than the sum of its parts. It's hard to pinpoint exactly, but I feel there's something more to it, a subtle strangeness to the arrangement, like if David Lynch made an FM. As an aspiring dromeder, it was humbling to play. Anyway, great work. In my opinion this mission belongs with the all-time greats.
    Good point! It does remind me of Eraserhead (or some of the crazier episodes from Twin Peaks S3).

And I loved this FM to boot just like you. Missing around 2000 loot, so I guess that I missed some big secrets. Gotta look for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Hjarpe
    Also, the "papuros of SMABAN" was an inspired piece of writing, to the point where I wonder what the authors' influences are (literary, chemical, or otherwise ).
    That made me wonder, too! The readables were amazingly written. Seems that whoever wrote them reads lots of classic lit!

BTW loved the guard with the cigar! Don't know if it was intended or not, but he stopped looking for me every few steps. Laziest guy in the Thiefverse!
    Last edited by Severian_Silk; 5th May 2020 at 09:45.

Thumbs Up!

Extremely creative and original mission.

This one calls for replaying just to ferret out all of the loot locations missed the first time.

Great piece of work.

Finished it today, awesome mission. The beginning is really hard, but worth it. Only small issues like the entrance to the sewers after the BJ pushing the player back(still was able to enter, but I saw a video with the same problem, from GarrettTMT) - maybe you can fix that in future releases.

Now I only have two questions:

1. Is there any purpose of the mini-ape in the bottle aside looking cool?
    2. Is it possible to kill the tree-beast ghost? Or what it can be called. Of course I sneaked around, but would interesting to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Udo View Post
    1. Is there any purpose of the mini-ape in the bottle aside looking cool?
    2. Is it possible to kill the tree-beast ghost? Or what it can be called. Of course I sneaked around, but would interesting to know.
    1. Looks like, it is is just for looking cool. I could not do anything with this ape.
    2. Looks like it can be somehow lured into that acid pool, but I was not successful in it. Some other people in this thread managed to do this.

Ok. Maybe the tree beast could also be lured into that one hole where the ghost jumps into - at first I thought it was the way out and I tried it with slow-fall, but its just a death trap.

I blased the ape with an fire arrow and he became ash, I KO-ed him with a gas arrow and could carry him

EDIT: With some flash bombs he can even move out. So he is not "imprisoned" in the bottle...anyway, he just is standing "dancing", just looking at the player, but not attacking or being able to, or not moving.

Last edited by Udo; 28th May 2020 at 12:27.

After The Pursuance of an Inscrutable Reciprocity and The Builder's Paradise this is the third FM in this contest I dropped after about 1 hour ingame. While it is definitely well-made with alot of details and a creepy atmosphere, I just couldnt get to like it. I had a roller coaster feelings on this one. The first part with the escaping was super annoying and I almost dropped it there already, then the part in the mansion and second part in the same town I found awesome (especially the creepy details like the cannibals or the hand coming out behind the bricked wall). I would have loved it if it just kept being a city with creepy details, but sadly it had to go down the horror path like most FMs. So all in all its a really well-made fanmission but not my cup of tea.

Sad to hear you dropped it, Samantha. This is in my top 10 (possibly top 5) of all time.

Haha! So I'm completely screwed - I'm pretty much back at the very beginning (normal guards are around) and I've never found blackjack nor the lockpicks, ghosting the entire mission I understand I'd need to replay from scratch as there's no way back to at least grab the blackjack? Not to mention I never stumbled upon lockpicks and wouldn't know where to look (sewers were SOOO dark) heh.

BTW, I'm playing v1.1, did not interrupt the conversation, but never got any additional objective :S

You aren't actually expected to have found the lockpicks yet. The usual advice at this point is to review your objectives and then check your map, and then you should have an idea of where to go next.
    Once you have the lockpicks, you'll find that you've looped right back to the area where you can find the blackjack.
    Not sure about that objective not triggering though. Can you list the objectives you currently have here, just to make sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Schlock View Post
    You aren't actually expected to have found the lockpicks yet. The usual advice at this point is to review your objectives and then check your map, and then you should have an idea of where to go next.
    Once you have the lockpicks, you'll find that you've looped right back to the area where you can find the blackjack.
    Not sure about that objective not triggering though. Can you list the objectives you currently have here, just to make sure?
    The objective for the lockpicks doesnt need to be triggered, its there from the beginning.
    makai, Im not sure how you missed to pick up your blackjack though. If I recall correct it was right there where you needed to head to get out at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by makai81 View Post
    BTW, I'm playing v1.1, did not interrupt the conversation, but never got any additional objective :S
    The same thing happened to me on my first playthrough. Shortly after conversation game crashed. But after reloading save before conversation I got new objectives. I was lucky that I tried that, I was ready to KO both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1 View Post
    The objective for the lockpicks doesnt need to be triggered, its there from the beginning.
    makai, Im not sure how you missed to pick up your blackjack though. If I recall correct it was right there where you needed to head to get out at the beginning.
    Thanks, yes, the lockpicks objective is always on, I was talking about the additional objective (I guess) which never triggered after listening to the entire conversation.

The blackjack, well, I obviously didn't pay enough attention

Quote Originally Posted by Schlock View Post
    Ok, thanks for hinting that - good to know the lockpicks are to be found so late in the mission.

The objectives I've got right now are:

[DONE] Initial escape
    [NOT DONE] Find blackjack replacement
    [NOT DONE] Find lockpicks replacement
    [NOT DONE] Get out

Anyway, at this point I have to start from scratch as I've been quick saving only this entire time booo!

Quote Originally Posted by makai81 View Post
    good to know the lockpicks are to be found so late in the mission.
    FYI, after getting rope arrows on the first underground trip you can fairly quickly go grab the lockpicks (and other loot/supplies on that side of the door), but don't pick the door yet which will block going back up to town, go back up well equipped and do everything in town then pick the door and do the remaining underground parts last.

What an amazing FM, one of the best I've ever played really, teeming with atmosphere and inventiveness, the beginning was indeed a bit frustrating but after that the exploration was a joy. I've never seen a fm change dynamically in such a drastic way. I'm gonna play the other FMs in the contest but I'd be reeeally surprised if this one will be topped.
    Last edited by Tank_Abbott; 22nd Jun 2020 at 05:27.

Since the author pseudonyms were not revealed along with the scores I'll throw it out there that I was Die Fugger, one of the authors of this mission.
    Croissantine may or may not show him or herself, but to be clear this was very much their mission. I only helped enough to push this beast out in time for the deadline. I'm very happy to see that people enjoyed it, because I was afraid it would be too odd to perform well in a contest.
    Sooner or later I will try to get to work on v1.2, which will fix some of the lingering annoying issues with ItO (e.g. walls that are hard to mantle over, terrain you can get stuck on, object hitboxes which aren't quite right), which should make it a more enjoyable adventure without really changing it .
    I will also share the reviews that voters submitted along with their scores in this thread, once they are made available.

oh, god... I have finished all objectives and I want to go back to the underground from the place with the crayman in pool and cradles in the room but now my way back has a rock blocking it... I also know that they fixed the damned hole from where you first enter the underground areas.I have seen this underground city but was lacking the lockpicks. I haven't found the sanctuary.Am I screwed because I decided to first to go up and then go down again? Please, help, what triggers the rock to block my way? I want to see if I can go back to some previous save of mine.Or, is there any other way that I can't still find, that takes me back there? I assume the area with the lock-picks is not connected to the area I want to go.

well, ignore me cry for help... I watched Fen's 3 part and show some light in my despair :P
    Last edited by nightchild; 30th Jun 2020 at 10:48.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast