TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TMA20AC Mission Ten Little Taffers (Mar 24, 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    Whaaaaaaa? mindblown.gif
    Ha! As Bumbleson, did you even notice that someone snatched your belt pouch?

Quote Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
    Ha! As Bumbleson, did you even notice that someone snatched your belt pouch?
    Not just my belt pouch, when I looked down I found that damn taffer had stolen my whole belt, and my pants and my legs and feet too!

But no, I guess I had other things on my mind than watching my inventory! I had noticed at the start that I had a purse with 7 gold, but didn't notice that it went missing (my other excuse is that I was faithfully roleplaying a TMA npc, not a TDS npc ). Seriously, these are wonderful little details!

One incidental detail I did notice and appreciate: there's a gold plate with apples on it in one room, and if Garrett takes the plate first, the apples get scattered off it, instead of just remaining in place as usual.

Edit: I just had to go back and play a bit of Bumbleson again just to see this in action. I love it!
    Last edited by vfig; 21st Apr 2020 at 18:27.

john9818a, Woodsie1 fixed his problem by installing a new gen.osm. You could download this version and put in your Thief2 folder. It's not that his gen.osm was bad or different, but that there was possibly an issue with its links to the dark engine, and reinstalling gen fixed his setup. Hopefully, that will fix your problem.

I don't know why the LC gate is resizing itself for some people. It's not something I saw myself (and it is pretty obvious) and it was never mentioned by any of my exhausted beta testers.
    I take that back. Those gate doors were one of the first objects I created in TLT, long before I had fully relearned Dromed, but never resized the physics. What a noob.
    I tried that version of gen.osm before I posted and I got the same results. Maybe it was just a coincidence that Woodsie1 got his working because his gen.osm was a bad file, but everyone should have the same version of gen.osm installed, and most players didn't have this issue.

Edit: I played through Dromed and it worked, but only when I went outside. In Thief it never happens.
    Last edited by john9818a; 25th Apr 2020 at 12:35. Reason: added info

Sent you a PM

i've so far, played on Owen, completed all the objectives, except "Time for Retribution, kill everyone." I found a few of the weapon. I've thrown the cleaver, sword, bottle at them, even the turbine lube poison.. nothing..

Def a Broken mission.

on to another

scottyd,

This is concerning because no one has reported this type of issue.

Did the turbine lube not explode?
    Did you try the broadheads, the bug hive, the frog egg, or the AquiCide? Did any of them do anything?
    There was no sword you could throw. Did you mean the jeweled dagger?

scottyd,

This is concerning because no one has reported this type of issue.

Did the turbine lube not explode?
    Did you try the broadheads, the bug hive, the frog egg, or the AquiCide? Did any of them do anything?
    There was no sword you could throw. Did you mean the jeweled dagger?

It may be concerning, but give a fact, most don't go in and post bugs often, they just quit and move on to the next mission. usually what I do... But thought I'd post to help.

I threw the turbine lube right at guest and or feet, NOTHING!! it blew up, but no one died. Tried it several times.
    I threw a sword at them, nothing, reloaded threw at other guests, NOTHING. (the blade would spill blood, but not kill.. even throwing a sword and a cleaver at one person do NOTHING

Threw a meat cleaver at them.. NOTHING.
    Last edited by scottyd; 26th Apr 2020 at 18:53.

Just one question. Did you throw the weapons at the other guests when they were in the Ballroom, or after the Ballroom, when the guests were wandering about the mansion?
    Until the guests have left the ballroom, they can't be killed by anything.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    IMPORTANT: This mission has been updated to v1.1 to add French and German translations. It contains no other changes or bug fizes.

Balboa you really shouldn't take the fizz like that.

On Garrett what triggers Brother Gerard to leave his room? He's just standing there inside his room and I want him out of there, first time I played he was patrolling the basement so I guess I need to trigger something to get him to go there but what?

On Bumbleson I know you know about the fences but does that mean the Auldale Morning Star is unavailable on Bumbleson atm, indeed once the fences are fixed in an update will it then be available on Bumbleson?

The mechanism to unlock the control panel to deactivate the electrified fences are unusual to say the least close 2 x open moneyboxes, I didn't see any clue or hint as to why they should have an effect on anything else in the map, if there isn't one maybe a hint in the update version.

On Bumbleson I can also confirm Valkare's observation about loot items disappearing from the map see post #85. Example purple vase on side table in west wing upper, not a game breaker but looks a little odd sometimes.

I think your aware of this but if you Ctr-Atl-Shift_Del at the start of each mission the end game stats page shows everyone who is about to die in the forthcoming mission, DEBRIEF.str all messed up?

But the in game map list of AI's that crosses off their names once you have found their dead bodies seems to work correctly.

Edit: On Bumbleson I couldn't find Archibald Bumbleson, whose body is, I'm guessing, meant to be in the sauna in the basement but isn't, but I do keep hearing a male servant saying 'Is anyone there', so restarted mission to find Archibald's location, hoping to open Dromed and get his obj no. but he not in the ballroom at the start of the mission, so guessing he's stuck somewhere in the solid throughout the mission.

Overall I'm very impressed with the quality of the mission even though there are a number of annoying bugs. The Thief Engine appears to be problematic with off the beaten track game play styles, other authors have made novel missions over the years with complex scripting and multiple objectives etc and so often they also are full of bugs, Dromed a sensitive bugger isn't it.

Onto Owen difficulty.

Ps. Found another bug Brenda Masterson magically teleports into Countess de Perrin when she falls into the river
    Last edited by fortuni; 1st May 2020 at 12:56.

Fortuni, in this neck of the woods, all my bugs drink pop, not fiz.

Gerard should start patrolling automatically. He does hang out in his room a lot, so it's possible he was just waiting for a few seconds. But there are some annoying patrol issues that will be addressed in the post contest update.

Bumbleson is not a thief, he's a domestic, thank you very much. He wouldn't think of stealing anything - he's far too afraid to do anything illegal. The Auldale Morning Star does get stolen in Bumbleson difficulty, but by Garrett, who is busy working on Total Loot and Perfect Thief. He even snatched your belt pouch!

I have no idea what you are referring to with the Control Panel in the basement. It is disabled by a single lockbox, the key to which Lionel lost. And it's a bonus, so it shouldn't be that easy to find, and there are several obscure clues in the building.

If you Ctr-Atl-Shift_Del at the start of each mission, the stats correctly show what the murderer got away with.

On Bumbleson you couldn't find Archibald Bumbleson in the sauna because you are playing Bumbleson, and if you found your body there, you'd be dead. And Archibald Bumbleson doesn't really want to be dead.

Yes, Dromed is a sensitive bugger, and it's thirsty.

Also not a bug. That's a dead Brenda Masterson, not a dead Countess de Perrin in the river.

The Auldale Morning Star does get stolen in Bumbleson difficulty, but by Garrett, who is busy working on Total Loot and Perfect Thief. He even snatched your belt pouch!
    Well that explains a lot....it would also help if I had realised I was playing Bumbleson not Garrett.

And yes Garrett perfect thieving in the background is yet another very clever idea, whatever possessed you to think of that?

I have no idea what you are referring to with the Control Panel in the basement. It is disabled by a single lockbox, the key to which Lionel lost. And it's a bonus, so it shouldn't be that easy to find, and there are several obscure clues in the building.
    When playing on Bumbleson there is no key for the control box, I checked Dromed, but that control box is linked to the 2 open moneyboxes in the 2 x servants quarters in the attic. If you close those 2 moneyboxes the control box in the basement becomes active and the electrified fences disappear once you frob the control box.....unless of course whilst I was running upstairs Garrett nips into the basement and unlocks the control panel.

If you Ctr-Atl-Shift_Del at the start of each mission, the stats correctly show what the murderer got away with.
    Ok got it, I was assuming if you Ctr-Atl-Shift_Del immediately at start you would see you stats up to that point in the mission, but they are actually showing stats of the games end even though I hadn't yet done anything.

So where is the key that Lionel lost? Bumbleson difficulty.

Ok, yes is Brenda in water, discolouration of jacket through the water makes it look like Countess de Perrin when standing on bridge.
    Last edited by fortuni; 1st May 2020 at 13:39.

I understand your confusion, now. Yes, there is no key for Bumbleson to find, and yes, Garrett has the key, has unlocked the control panel, stolen the Morning Star, and emptied both servants moneyboxes. But he didn't close them again, so I guess he isn't as Perfect as everyone says he is.

Also, on Owen difficulty, you play the killer.

Playing on Owen I came across the same bug as Woodsie1, went to ballroom, Brenda Masterson came in and then everyone stood around doing nothing, victrola didn't play and bridge didn't blow up so did Tannar's suggestion of changing gen.osm (had the same file size as my old one though) and then the scripting worked correctly.

First time I played I completed the 2 objectives (balcony ropes + victrola) then went and found all weapons, second play through I got the weapons first and then completed the objectives. Don't know if the order of play affected the ballroom scene, just reporting what I did differently.

One thing I did notice was Fretus was already dead and chopped up into pieces in the cold store, I didn't kill him so who did, Garrett?

Yes, there is something funky going on with gen.osm in this mission. Doesn't affect most people, though, and it's been fixed in the post contest release.

It doesn't matter when Owen collects the weapons (did you find all 12?).

After the Ballroom, Fretus runs and hides in the freezer (you can see his head through the door window) But he can't get out and he freezes to death. (He is rather drunk at that point) His frozen corpse shatters when you open the freezer door.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    One thing I did notice was Fretus was already dead and chopped up into pieces in the cold store, I didn't kill him so who did, Garrett?
    Fretus death was prepared by Owen before mission has started. For details read Owen's Diary more carefully.

Playing on Owen difficulty, what do I have to do to fulfill the objective "Break a statue to celebrate each kill"? I have no idea what statues this might be talking about other than the two in the walls, and I already tried throwing stuff at it. I already completed everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by therealfarfetchd View Post
    Playing on Owen difficulty, what do I have to do to fulfill the objective "Break a statue to celebrate each kill"? I have no idea what statues this might be talking about other than the two in the walls, and I already tried throwing stuff at it. I already completed everything else.
    I think you need to go back to Ballroom.

I liked this one a lot. I've always been a fan of the novel it took inspiration from, and the idea of approaching it from multiple different perspectives is a great one - and well implemented.

I didn't encounter any real technical issues, and completed all three characters without needing to look anything up here.

It's not the best looking mission from the contest, but it's competent enough in that area and gets serious points everywhere else.

Kudos to Balboa and making it all work. I especially appreciated the custom mission results page.

This was a refreshing experience!
    spoiler:
    I played as a Garrett. In the end there was a big final battle with murderous Gerard. He was tough but not tough enough! I was trying to complete the optional objective but I couldn't find him anywhere and then suddenly in the spa area he attacked me. He really surprised me and that made a very good ending for the mission.

The storyline and the atmosphere were both thrilling! I had to look for help from here to find Gerard's journal and that was the probably the only frustration I had.
    Very good mission overall!

So i was just playing this mission(s) too. I want to give a little feddback too:

On Garrett: First uncertainty as the bridge blowed up. First confusion why the game breaks as I went into the light outside or from inside to out... Needed a long time to find the evidence in Gerard's room (had to read here in the thread...), it was hidden too bad. On some point Gerard stands in the game room in the cellar and Goodfellow was all the time alive in her room (no more patroulling, was that intended?). Some claims of Garrett I could not do anything with it, but I'm not really good in puzzles. I needed around 1 hour, but all guest except Goodfellow were dead.

On Bumbleson: I think my fastest playthrough. But I wasn't able to stop the killer before everybody dies. Nobody survived, just me. The killer on Garrett and Bumbleson was very fast! I had the feeling every minute a guest dies and I'm too slow to catch the murderer. And all the time I thought the Taffer-rimes in the guestrooms have some important use like a hint for something.

On Owen: At first I had this problems too with the gen.osm and was wondering why nothing happened as I entered the ballroom. I read here in the forum I have to download another version of gen.osm, and then it worked. Strangely on Garrett and Bumbleson difficulty it worked perfectly... Ok, I restarted Owen, everything fine. Then I had to kill all other guests and found for that some usefull "weapons". It was clear that I had for example throw the dagger or the hammer to two of the guests. But then I was confused how I kill Bumbleson in the sauna or Lord Carlysle with the wine. All the time I see how the killer on Garrett and Bumbleson did his murder, now I am the killer and I actually know how they die...but I can't do this the same way. I was wondering long time till I found out I just have to throw all items on the guest. I think there is definitively a way to kill Bumbleson in the sauna with locking the door and heat the room up (and there actually IS the option to do that). Or poison the wine for Carlysle... And a better hint which statues I have to break would have been nice.

Neverthemind... mindblowing! Every time I play missions like that I'm excited what is possible with "good" old Dromed. I loved how Bumbleson was crying everytime I found a dead body or Owen whistling when he murdered a guest. Lovely! Was very very nice to play one mission with 3 characters. Little bit confusing the storytelling isn't the same all the time (the killer isn't the same), but nevertheless I still had my fun. Nice one which will long time be in my mind. Thank you, Balboa!

Thanks for the feedback, Carrot. The patrol issues, and other minor bugs, have been fixed, and will be released after the contest ends. Glad you enjoyed it, in spite of the slight confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
    And a better hint which statues I have to break would have been nice.
    I agree. Perhaps the objective should include "in the ballroom", and it would be clearer if it said figurines or statuettes or a similar word that suggests small; "statue" suggests one of the full sized statues tbh.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast