TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TMA20AC Mission Ten Little Taffers (Mar 24, 2020)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

TMA20AC Mission Ten Little Taffers (Mar 24, 2020)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission Ten Little Taffers by Balboa.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

IMPORTANT: This mission has been updated to v1.1 to add French and German translations. It contains no other changes or bug fizes.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission, and by extension every mission made for the contest, is for THIEF 2. As such, do not load it with Thief 1/GOLD! It is highly recommended you do not use the Enhancement Pack and/or HD texture packs to play this mission. It is also recommended you uncheck all optional features T2Fix comes with if you update to the latest version of the full executable.
    Last edited by Yandros; 30th Apr 2020 at 22:13.

Important note
    This is essentially one mission, but from three different viewpoints.
    Although all three difficulties are similar, they have very different adversaries, clues, and objectives.

This has great atmosphere. The setup at the beginning, got the hairs to stand on my arm and had me constantly spooked after that. The first play through was excellent fun

I'm having trouble finding The 9th locker key, since I think that's where the exit is

Also I found Brother Gerard stuck in Dorcas's room (8) which I feel shouldn't happen

(edit) Also when I open the door between the shipping area to outside (I entered the front door, this was later) I immediately lose, saying it alarmed someone, which can't be right considering at this point everybody is dead,
    Last edited by mallso; 25th Mar 2020 at 02:23.

BTW this one is also playable in german.

To verify the text files I played an earlyer version of this one and the unexpected explosion of the bridge scared me the pants off.

Will play the final version more systematic, since after all this is three FMs.

As I did in Reunion With Basso for a small scene it seems Balboa took a murder mystery as a base for the whole FM, too. The template for my scene was Murder by Death (1976) and I thought which film could have been inspired Balboa?

It was Ten Little Indians (1974), right?

Quote Originally Posted by mallso View Post
    I'm having trouble finding The 9th locker key, since I think that's where the exit is
    Did you solve the book puzzle?
    Last edited by zappenduster; 15th Apr 2020 at 03:39. Reason: Movie URLs added.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Passing through the double metal door (the one with damaged lantern above) into the mansion makes "Don't alert anybody" objective failed, on "Garrett" difficulty (haven't seen other two yet). I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it seems like not.

Just try a water arrow on that broken electrical light.

But there is another mystery I couldn't solve: How to open the safe? I didn't find any clue at Thomas' desk in the basement.

You're absolutely right. I'd misunderstood the introduction of a new feature. Misleading post deleted.
    The confusion arises if the player exits this doorway from inside; the VOTrap giving a clue doesn't play from that direction.

Zoro & mallso
    Yes, that is a bug that could have been implemented better. The intent is that if Garrett is standing under a floodlight, anyone on the balcony can see him.

zappenduster
    Yes, it was Ten Little Indians (1974)
    Maybe Thomas wrote down the combination on something.

@all: It might be helpful to write first which person you play (Garrett, Bumbleson or Owen).

Quote Originally Posted by zappenduster View Post

Did you solve the book puzzle?

I haven't and I haven't got a clue how to solve it.

It's easy to solve, once you find the clue.

Do you know who the murderer is? Check their room.

If you don't, who isn't dead yet? Check their rooms.

Once you find the clue, what is the common theme?

Quote Originally Posted by mallso View Post
    I haven't and I haven't got a clue how to solve it.
    Same with me. (I guess we are referring to "Trickster, Hammer, Mechanist, Thief"?
    ?)

And where could you find them all?

Stronger hint: They all have such interesting stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
    It's easy to solve, once you find the clue.

I actually had The scroll the whole time but didn't put it together it was Gerards room until this.

has anyone discovered the code on Bumbleson Difficulty? :3

There was a translation problem with one of the German readables.
    You might still be able to figure it out, allowing for that, but if you need a clearer hint:
    ERINNERUNG! 31. Okt.! should be ERINNERUNG! 10 31
    Last edited by Balboa; 25th Mar 2020 at 16:22. Reason: Fat fingers

color me shocked

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett TMT View Post
    has anyone discovered the code on Bumbleson Difficulty? :3
    Hint : The night manager's office has information on where to find it.
    More Lionel is the maintenance guy, his place is in basement, take a look for something that looks like a code
    Solution On his desk are dice that spell it out It's 3524

I'm having trouble of my own on Owen part, that is how to leave
    as an aside How do you access the weapons cache in the attic
    Also I was able to Cheese the ending by jumping into the river and managing to vault onto a rock, then onto the walkway to leave

On Owen, the same as on Garrett. You already have the key to locker 9.

You can't access the weapons cache, but maybe something wasn't stored properly.

Finished Owen, now on Bumbleson.
    Also mystified as to the safe combo. Found the number written on the basement notice board but that doesn't work.

Two difficulties (not counting Owen)
    Two different combinations to the safe
    Two different clues as to where to look for the right combination.

Just finished playing on Garrett.

I loved the look of the hotel and so wanted to get to the blue gem on the clock face, is it possible?

At first I thought the mission was a bit strange as I didn't really know what I had to do apart from nick all the loot which was ok, but I got a bit frustrated with some of the guests who seemed to be super sensitive and alerted too easily, but this was compensated by all the jokes and clever ideas scattered throughout the map such as the Hammerite/Mechanist chapel idea. Then the objective 'Search the place for Clues' suddenly completed whilst I was hiding in a toilet but I hadn't done anything so don't know what the solution for that objective was. I also only found 4 bodies (Horridge, de Perrin, Gerard + Fretus) but my end game stats says all 10 guests had perished which raises the question why are some of the guests were still walking around the hotel by the time I got to the exit when they were meant to be dead and how come the killer is dead, I didn't kill him/her?

Having now finished my overall impression is that it was a clever little mission, full of great ideas and jokes and aesthetically pleasing but left too many questions at the end.

btw what's with the key under the sewer hatch in the basement, it doesn't highlight so can't collect it, and why is the cook so OCD, every time she walks past the dumb waiter she sends it up or down.

fortuni, the blue gem on the clock face, is just decorative.

The Search the place for Clues objective completes after you read Gerard's journal. Perhaps you did that in the bathroom?

The key leads to a bonus objective if you can figure out how to get it. Maybe you could drain the swamp?

I can't explain the mystery you found with some of the guests both alive and dead. That shouldn't happen, and I'm sorry it did for you. The other two difficulties are totally different, and also answer many questions. My only suggestion is to try Garrett again,

And yes, the cook has issues.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast