TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Prevent "New Objective" sound doubling up?

Prevent "New Objective" sound doubling up?

I have a point in my mission where the player gets about 8 new objectives at once. Unfortunately, the "New Objective" da-ding sound effect plays for each of them, meaning it's eight times as loud as it should be and deafens you if you have the game at a normal volume.

Is there any way to prevent this?

I tried lowering the volume of the schema, but then of course it's way too quiet when the player just gets one new objective later, or finds a secret.

I guess I could fudge it by lowering the schema volume, then manually triggering a seperate one at the normal volume as a VOTrap for each new objective and secret, but I'd rather not have to do that if I can avoid it.

I think it's hardcoded like that in the game, so I'm guessing your idea of manually triggering it for each other objective would be the best way. But hopefully someone else comes in with a better idea after all

ZylonBane
    Is the sound played by the engine, or by convict.osm? If it's a script that does it, you could write your own objective-adding script in Squirrel.

It might be messy but you could either use NVRelayTrap with a delay on a marker + QVarTrap... Make each one have a different delay so that they don't play at the same time, or use a conversation.

Is there a way to point dark towards a different wav file for that event? You could edit the current wav and lower its audio level.

Sly, unfortunately that would give me the same problem - it would be too quiet when the player just gets one new objective or finds a secret.

Spacing the new objectives out would work, but would be pretty odd in context.

ZB, looks like it's part of VictoryChecker in convict.osm. I wouldn't know how to bypass that with a custom script though.

It's not going to be too much work to link a few QVarTriggers and FindSecretTraps to a VOTrap, was just hoping for a lazy solution.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Play all 8 of them back to back, but with slightly longer in between, maybe even have the delays follow Fibonacci so it gets even longer the more of them that play. I'm sure players will just love hearing the 7th one and thinking it's done, and then the 8th one plays like 60 seconds later!

The simplest solution might be that 8 objectives is probably too many to activate at one time. Spread them out a bit or consolidate.

Notifications and most other facets of the standard implementation of objectives are handled by convict's VictoryCheck and its parent by the deceptively similar name of VictoryChecker. For notifications, the schema by the name of "new_obj" is always played; this cannot be overridden without modifying the script itself.

This having been said, you can use this module if you wish. It will override the default VictoryCheck script provided the module is loaded after or instead of convict. It should only notify the player once if multiple objectives are changed at the same time; no additional setup is required. Do note, however, that it has not undergone thorough testing.

Yandros, that's just a brilliantly evil idea.

Brethren, normally I would agree that 8 is too many to add at once - the reason for it is that I have an intro area before the main mission starts, and the bulk of the mission's main objectives are added immediately after that point.

Jax - awesome, thank you! I will give it a try!

Jax, that script seems to be working just fine! Thanks very much.

Confirming once again that I'm no help at all.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Glad you have it sorted, Nick, although at a high level, wiithout Jax's solution, the best approach might have been to turn the intro into a briefing movie, or if that is not applicable, a miniature introductory mission of its own.

Yeah, that would have been better if I'd planned earlier, but the intro section and triggering the objectives into the mission is indelibly tied to all the random elements I'm using. It would be more trouble than it's worth to take it out now.

OK with a bit more testing, there is unfortunately a bug with that script. It has changed loot objectives to require the value in gold rather than the total. E.g. if you have a loot objective to get 1000 loot, once you install this script, you actually need to get 1000 gold specifically.

Correct you are, though this was the result of a typo rather than a conscious design choice on my end. The original VictoryCheck and VictoryChecker are among the largest and most complicated generic scripts included in the game, so perhaps it would have been prudent of me to test the replacement module more prior to linking it here. My apologies for wasting your time in that regard. Provided you are still interested, I have uploaded a new build that mitigates this issue which can be accessed from the link in my previous post.

Brilliant, I'll give that a try, thanks! Glad it was just a typo! It doesn't appear to have broken anything else.