TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Youtube Gaming Channels

Chakat sex pillow
    Society hasn't flipped; and that's a pretty big strawman. If there's direct evidence on reddit that contradicts what you're saying, you're essentially washing your hands of the matter and saying, 'yeah, whatever'. Which makes me wonder what was even the point of bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Well I've always been on the side that one has to prove guilt, rather than innocence. I get that society seems to have flipped that in recent years.

I'd link the video that Boogie put up several months ago, where he went into detail on it but it's since been deleted.
    I used to think like you on this. But think about what you're saying. Say Person X has somehow been a complete monster to you. So you go public with chatlogs and corroborating evidence from his own public videos. But that's not good enough, because Person X makes a video in reply where he blatantly lies and deflects what he can't lie about.
    Now there's me, the third party, looking at all this. Who do I believe? Am I forbidden from believing the person who has documented evidence of Person X being a shit? Why?

If Boogie is documented to be a manipulator of people, then it sounds pretty likely to me that his counter-video was full of shit too, and that's why he removed it.
    Group harassment of people happens, but if multiple independent people come forward without a shared nefarious goal, that's a lot of smoke for there to purportedly be no fire.

If he had done horrible things, he'd have been arrested which he hasn't. As for things said, he suffers from mental illness due to a severely fucked up childhood. So if you take as gospel words said, when suffering from illness then we're all damned. Boogie has shown in some of his own videos of the messed up things he's said. If I remember right, he has bipolar, depression and anxiety. In life I've had quite a bit of dealings with people with mental illness + my wife suffers from half the stuff he has, so I don't take seriously words alone.

For me words, etc from reddit mean nothing. He's innocent until proven otherwise. Your welcome to believe otherwise. I enjoy his videos and that's enough for me.

So his words from YouTube mean everything but other people's words on reddit mean nothing.

It's up to you to just say, as you did at the end, that you enjoy his videos and that's enough for you. But then perhaps don't do that spiel first about society having flipped, when you've made your mind up beforehand as to who is right and who is wrong.

If he had done horrible things, he'd have been arrested which he hasn't.
    You do realize there are things that are bad but not illegal to do?

As for things said, he suffers from mental illness due to a severely fucked up childhood. So if you take as gospel words said, when suffering from illness then we're all damned. Boogie has shown in some of his own videos of the messed up things he's said. If I remember right, he has bipolar, depression and anxiety. In life I've had quite a bit of dealings with people with mental illness + my wife suffers from half the stuff he has, so I don't take seriously words alone.
    Mental illness can explain (episodes of) treating others poorly, but does not excuse it. If someone has a punches-you-in-the-face disease they'd damn well better apologize every time and work on bettering themselves, or find themselves friendless pretty soon.

For me words, etc from reddit mean nothing.
    How about screenshots and archived tweets/comments? Have you seen these at all, or are you just dismissing them sight unseen?

He's innocent until proven otherwise. Your welcome to believe otherwise.
    Your standards for proof are extremely forgiving towards those you like. You seem to think that a court of law is the only standard by which anyone can be proven guilty of anything, and even then I'm not sure you wouldn't say it was a witch hunt.

I enjoy his videos and that's enough for me.
    Enjoying his videos is fair, but exculpating someone over how much you like their work is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    How about screenshots and archived tweets/comments? Have you seen these at all, or are you just dismissing them sight unseen?
    That was the particular reddit thread Boogie spoke about in that deleted video if I remember right. I don't tend to read articles on Youtuber's. I just go by what I see in the videos they put out. That's not me dismissing what your saying. Just stating how I do things.

For example, JonTron, whose videos I really like due to their complete randomness, said some anti-immigrant stuff (apparently) on a guest spot on some other program. It has nothing to do with the videos he puts out, so it is what it is. Should he have said those things? Well he has the right to free speech, whether it's nice or not. I like his videos so I just enjoy them for what they are. If that makes me weird or whatever meh that's fine.

Enjoying his videos is fair, but exculpating someone over how much you like their work is weird.
    He posts A LOT of videos on his mental state, opinions on all things, his life, growing up. From none of those videos did I get any impression of the stuff he's been accused of. Did he? I dunno, but I don't get that sense from his videos. And some of his videos are quite dark. I do think that he talks about his personal life far too much, and I've commented as such very often on his videos. I think he should stick to just talk about gaming and his weight loss challenges. If I remember right from the deleted video (and this is me going completely on memory) much of the stuff he was said to have said, was on gaming streams. I've never watched any of his gaming streams so can't comment there.

As for my innocent until guilty approach, well that's just me. There was a thread a while ago, on the me 2 movement and of accused people etc, and I stated my views in detail over there.
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd Apr 2020 at 10:30.

That was the particular reddit thread Boogie spoke about in that deleted video if I remember right. I don't tend to read articles on Youtuber's. I just go by what I see in the videos they put out. That's not me dismissing what your saying. Just stating how I do things.
    THAT IS YOU DISMISSING IT WITHOUT SEEING IT. THAT MIGHT BE HOW YOU DO THINGS BUT THAT IS VERY MUCH YOU DISMISSING IT WITHOUT SEEING IT. HELLO? Do you regularly actively avoid information on a topic to then declare yourself staunchly in favor of a specific side after hearing only that side's argument?

For example, JonTron, whose videos I really like due to their complete randomness, said some anti-immigrant stuff (apparently) on a guest spot on some other program. It has nothing to do with the videos he puts out, so it is what it is. Should he have said those things? Well he has the right to free speech, whether it's nice or not. I like his videos so I just enjoy them for what they are. If that makes me weird or whatever meh that's fine.
    Jontron sure did say some racist anti-immigrant stuff. It's absolutely fine if you still like his work. But this is somehow distinct from Boogie in that you're not declaring him innocent without having seen anything of the incident.

As for my innocent until guilty approach, well that's just me. There was a thread a while ago, on the me 2 movement and of accused people etc, and I stated my views in detail over there.
    Your opinion can be divorced from legal outcomes! You don't have to believe that OJ Simpson is innocent, or that Issei Sagawa deserves to be free, or that Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey deserve the benefit of your doubt. You can make up your own mind about these things. If you always choose to side with the accused, so be it.

THAT IS YOU DISMISSING IT WITHOUT SEEING IT. THAT MIGHT BE HOW YOU DO THINGS BUT THAT IS VERY MUCH YOU DISMISSING IT WITHOUT SEEING IT. HELLO? Do you regularly actively avoid information on a topic to then declare yourself staunchly in favor of a specific side after hearing only that side's argument?
    My point there was that he went through it in detail (the video went for about 30 minutes I think). Of exactly what that thread was saying. If that's dismissing it somehow, then sure fine whatever.

Jontron sure did say some racist anti-immigrant stuff. It's absolutely fine if you still like his work. But this is somehow distinct from Boogie in that you're not declaring him innocent without having seen anything of the incident.
    In the JonTron case, it was brought up on other Youtube channels I watch (Pat the NES Punk mentioned about it in a podcast if I remember right). Hence why I knew about it. And sure your right there. I'm not saying he's innocent.

Your opinion can be divorced from legal outcomes! You don't have to believe that OJ Simpson is innocent, or that Issei Sagawa deserves to be free, or that Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey deserve the benefit of your doubt. You can make up your own mind about these things. If you always choose to side with the accused, so be it.
    To quote myself:

He posts A LOT of videos on his mental state, opinions on all things, his life, growing up. From none of those videos did I get any impression of the stuff he's been accused of. Did he? I dunno, but I don't get that sense from his videos. And some of his videos are quite dark. I do think that he talks about his personal life far too much, and I've commented as such very often on his videos. I think he should stick to just talk about gaming and his weight loss challenges. If I remember right from the deleted video (and this is me going completely on memory) much of the stuff he was said to have said, was on gaming streams. I've never watched any of his gaming streams so can't comment there.
    That's me stating my side right there.

Okay I give up, there's no getting through

The thing here is that I completely get what your saying, and stating my side. Your saying that I'm dismissing the reddit stuff by not reading through it all, and I'm saying sure ok that's what I'm doing. I'm going by his videos alone. I should note however, that when you provided the link several posts up I did click it and did a quick scan through to see if it was the same one from that video months ago. But I'm just not interested in it. Every point on that subreddit was covered in the deleted video. From the stuff with hookers, to stuff about his ex-wife etc.

This is one of those cases, where your not going to be satisfied unless I read through it all extensively and then state my side after reading it, and I'm telling you that I'm not going to do that. If that makes me a weirdo or whatever, then meh fine. I know that there is videos of him saying messed up stuff. He has a mental illness. Even looking up Wikipedia has some stuff on him saying racist comments etc, and something about a tesla car. Not seen that video. I just think that those people on reddit are out to get him. They want him to kill himself. As far as I'm concerned, those people are the fucked up ones. Their no better than those evil people who do catphishing, or those creating fake Facebook profiles of people. There are messed up people who delight in destroying people. That's what those people are in my opinion.

Anyways, I'm done with this. You don't like him for your reasons, and I'm still a fan of his for my own.
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd Apr 2020 at 14:31.

Chakat sex pillow
    I have plenty of sympathy for people with mental issues; but like Jesh says, having mental issues doesn't mean their actions can be excused or waved away. Boogiewhatever's obviously functioning well enough to seek help and not act out, but if he hasn't, that's on him. I know at least two people with borderline psychosis, bipolar disorder and all the concomitant issues that go with those, and they chose to find qualified therapists of their own volition. That's the reason I'm friends with them to begin with: despite everything, they're self-aware, and exercised a choice to make things better.

Acknowledging you have a problem and then not doing anything about it makes you far worse of a person than someone who can't see it to begin with.

This is one of those cases, where your not going to be satisfied unless I read through it all extensively and then state my side after reading it, and I'm telling you that I'm not going to do that. If that makes me a weirdo or whatever, then meh fine.
    It doesn't make you a weirdo that you're switching half of your brain off. I'll leave the obvious conclusion as to what that means for those who don't.

Taking the Death Toll
    Oh, are we defending Boogie1488 in this thread then? I see we're playing the "separate the art from the artist" game with JonTron too.

This thread doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Because TTLG is just evil, right?

Taking the Death Toll
    Yeah, you got me, why else would I post here?

If he had done horrible things, he'd have been arrested which he hasn't.
    That might be how things work in cop dramas, but it's not how things works in the real world.

Not only does a victim need to file a report with the police, the police also has to believe the victim. This can have varying levels of success depending on where you are in the world (down to individual precincts), which specific officer is spoken to and how the victim (friend/whoever) presents themselves. Then if the story is believed, the officer has to make an evaluation on the seriousness of the offense, whether a repeat is likely, how hard it would be gather enough evidence, whether the precinct has the resources to go after the case (or if other cases would take precedence before this case gets too old to pursue), what effect a visit from the police would have on the offender. And if something doesn't fall into place, the case is likely to get dropped (possibly with an apology to the victim).

And that's assuming the victim can name the offender and isn't too scared of some sort of backlash to go to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I have plenty of sympathy for people with mental issues; but like Jesh says, having mental issues doesn't mean their actions can be excused or waved away.
    I don't know anything about Boogie1488. However, I strongly agree with the above, and I'm speaking as a person with severe mental illness. As flawed as I am, I would be a far worse person today if I had allowed myself to use my illness as an excuse.

On a different note, while Folding Ideas and Innuendo Studios mostly focus on other issues than games, I've enjoyed many of their game-related videos in the past, such as the following:

They both very much come at it from an angle of cultural criticism/critique, though, and they unapologetically veer into the political. If you mind that, you're likely not to enjoy their work.

If game critique is what you want, I've enjoyed Errant Signal quite a bit. He occasionally veers into the more academic analysis side of things and also looks at lesser known indies from time to time. Right now, though, he's doing a series on early 90s FPS games:

Errant Signal is great. I don't watch all of his videos, because a necessary part of his critiques is spoiling the game story/mechanics, but the stuff I've seen is great.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Cloth Map uploads rarely but has some good content. Hosted by Drew Scanlon (of blinking_man.gif fame), it features interviews with game developers the world over. Their most recent video is this interview with Croteam, and it's pretty interesting hearing about just how hard it was to get a game dev studio off the ground in early 2000s Croatia.

El Shagmeister
    LALALALALALAAAA, THERE ARE NO TREES IN THIS FOREST, WHAT THE FUCK?

OW. I BUMPED INTO A TREE.

WHERE IS IT NOW? YOUR SHITTING ME.

LALALALALALALALA, I SEE NOTHING!

Taking the Death Toll
    Folding Ideas is unquestionably one of the best channels on Youtube. I particularly liked his explainer on creepy kids' animation on Youtube and how people abuse the algorithm:

The thing I dont get about that is why the creepy weirdass content? Surely if this is exploitation of algorithms for increased ad revenue streams, why wouldnt you make the content as safe and kid friendly as possible? Instead of Spiderman injects stuff up pregnant elsa ass, why not spiderman and elsa take a walk in a park. Kids would watch either just as much, and the safe content would fly under the radar so much more.
    One would have to assume that at least some of it is made with malicious intent, which is fucked.
    Also, dont let your 3-4 year old kid watch youtube unsupervised

Level 10,000 achieved
    but it it wasn't for kids animation youtube we wouldn't have this masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    The thing I dont get about that is why the creepy weirdass content? Surely if this is exploitation of algorithms for increased ad revenue streams, why wouldnt you make the content as safe and kid friendly as possible? Instead of Spiderman injects stuff up pregnant elsa ass, why not spiderman and elsa take a walk in a park. Kids would watch either just as much, and the safe content would fly under the radar so much more.
    One would have to assume that at least some of it is made with malicious intent, which is fucked.
    Also, dont let your 3-4 year old kid watch youtube unsupervised
    That assumes they're in this for the long haul. If they were, they'd probably just try to make good content. What I think happens is that they're basing the video subjects off of frequently searched words to SEO their titles, and they really don't care about their audience as long as they're getting their hits and ad revenue. They know the grift will be over at some point, so they're going for max profit before it does.

And I think the grift is now officially over, with the new youtube content-for-children policy that means that content for children is now bringing in substantially less revenue.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast